• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Collector scene continue to make Retro gaming expensive? SMB NES sold for $100,150!

super_mario_bros_1_expensive__1107735.jpg

(Also first game (on Ebay) sold for this price)

According to Kotaku, a sealed first edition copy of Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Entertainment System was recently sold for a hefty $100, 150. As if this figure wasn’t shocking enough, experts in the field of classic game collecting are saying that this deal is the first six-figure transaction for a single game.

Apparently, the previous highest-selling game of all time was also a copy of the original Super Mario Bros. sold back in 2017 for over $30,000. As for what caused the massive increase in price, apparently the difference comes down to a tiny sticker.
Between 1985 and 1986, when they were test-marketing the NES in New York and Los Angeles, Nintendo only sealed their sold games with a black foil sticker to keep the top flap closed. So, a black foil sticker rather than shrink-wrapping apparently justifies an increase in price of $70,000.

If you collected old games like Atari, Coleco, Sega, Nintendo, etc, your best time was 2001-2007 at best. Although there are some games on some systems that I am missing I got most of my collections before this insanity. For after 2007 good luck, if you see any deals get them fast before greedy people start paying attention and adjust prices accordingly. Some of the people buying games like this aren't even collectors but may be re-sellers or have some other alternative motive.

The last few years have been really difficult for retro game collecting on several systems unless you don't mind burning wads of cash. Even for bad games you have to spend wads of cash.

What's worse is when many morons by these games at a premium and then everyone else inflates the prices higher because there's no unity in retro collecting, so it's just a big mess. Game could be $30 today, some guy sells it for $70 tomorrow, next week all selling copies are $90. For those that have been on the fence nothing you can do but wait for interest and demand to drop, which happens with some systems a few times after 2-3 years. temporarily.

BTW PS2/Xbox/GC/DC games are still relatively cheap but if you've been paying attention that's rapidly changing so I would start working on those collections now.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If there's anyone or anything to blame, it is those who are collecting for the sake of collecting. This drives up the prices on everything.

You must own -- for instance -- Super Metroid for the Super Nintendo if you have a collection for that system, of course! This is the mindset which is driving up the demand. Who knows if you'll actually end up loving the game (or even playing the game). I don't love Super Metroid and that's why I don't bother owning a copy. Simple.

If you don't expect to buy every single "must-have" game for a system, retro collecting is still relatively cheap. Plenty of local shops and thrift stores sell them, and eBay/Amazon are still affordable.

Also, if you are buying games for these old systems and you aren't importing, you've made a wrong turn. You can often get import version of games for much cheaper (depending on your region and the game in question). For instance, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is typically in the $80+ range for a used copy, but the Japanese version can be had for less than half. The USA version of Sparkster (a platformer) is over $100, so I got a Super Famicom copy for $20.

In 10 years though, yeah, it'll be prohibitively expensive. I'd snag any CRTs you see lying around. Those will be pure gold in a decade.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
That's a sealed original, though. It's a collector's item. You can find the SMB/Duck Hunt combo cartridge on eBay for less than ten bucks.

Maybe you know of other examples where the inflation is more significant.

If there's anyone or anything to blame, it is those who are collecting for the sake of collecting. This drives up the prices on everything.

You must own -- for instance -- Super Metroid for the Super Nintendo if you have a collection for that system, of course! This is the mindset which is driving up the demand. Who knows if you'll actually end up loving the game (or even playing the game). I don't love Super Metroid and that's why I don't bother owning a copy. Simple.

If you don't expect to buy every single "must-have" game for a system, retro collecting is still relatively cheap. Plenty of local shops and thrift stores sell them, and eBay/Amazon are still affordable.

Also, if you are buying games for these old systems and you aren't importing, you've made a wrong turn. You can often get import version of games for much cheaper (depending on your region and the game in question). For instance, Marvel vs Capcom 2 is typically in the $80+ range for a used copy, but the Japanese version can be had for less than half. The USA version of Sparkster (a platformer) is over $100, so I got a Super Famicom copy for $20.

In 10 years though, yeah, it'll be prohibitively expensive. I'd snag any CRTs you see lying around. Those will be pure gold in a decade.

That only really applies to Japanese focused systems, Western consoles and WW consoles with heavy western support like PSX are a completely different issue.

That's a sealed original, though. It's a collector's item. You can find the SMB/Duck Hunt combo cartridge on eBay for less than ten bucks.

Maybe you know of other examples where the inflation is more significant.

No, sealed SMB NES are actually much cheaper than this, read the story to see why the "seller" and the "buyer" though that price was a good idea, it wasn't just because it was sealed.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That only really applies to Japanese focused systems, Western consoles and WW consoles with heavy western support like PSX are a completely different issue.
Well, most of the home videogame consoles were "Japanese focused systems" in some respect, even the PSX, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Well, most of the home videogame consoles were "Japanese focused systems" in some respect, even the PSX, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Because most relevant game consoles outside Nintendo due to regional dominance in Japan for years, the top games were mostly western, not Japanese. So it's more likely that a non-Japanese gamer or fan would be collecting western games. So that would be an exeception to the rule you pointed out.

To be honest, while the cost issue has been a for both, Japanese games seem to be the ones that have the most morons trying to grab a higher price. Seems like some fans love importing games and overvaluing them in an obsessive way.

Of course it's a problem worldwide, I remember when Black Box PSX PitFall 3D was like $90 for awhile.

I'm jelly. Of the seller, that is. Nothing I own could be sold for even close to that amount, other than my house of course.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Who cares? Rich people are going to do things like this. I don't see how it hurts you. If you want to play Super Mario Bros, there are 1000 super cheap or free ways to do so.

If you want an unopened, mint condition original, simple supply and demand will come into play. Seeing as I didn't even realize there ever was a boxed version, I imagine supply is really low.

TacosNSalsa

I actually had that! If I kept a lot of the stuff I had when I was younger in good condition and was able to move it now , I'd be pretty damn well off..

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Because most relevant game consoles outside Nintendo due to regional dominance in Japan for years, the top games were mostly western, not Japanese. So it's more likely that a non-Japanese gamer or fan would be collecting western games. So that would be an exeception to the rule you pointed out.

To be honest, while the cost issue has been a for both, Japanese games seem to be the ones that have the most morons trying to grab a higher price. Seems like some fans love importing games and overvaluing them in an obsessive way.

Of course it's a problem worldwide, I remember when Black Box PSX PitFall 3D was like $90 for awhile.
Certain Japanese games are rare and sought-after.

In my experience, grabbing the Japanese equivalent is not only cheaper, but also in better condition in the case of 90% of titles I've imported. There were only a few (like the recent PS4 version of Under-Night) where I thought "eh, I should've waited a bit and just bought the US version" but otherwise I've saved a lot of money.

A great case-study would be to compare the Western scene for used Saturn games against Japan. Sure, there are dozens of very expensive Japanese games for Saturn, but in most instances they are the only version of that title. When comparing the US version and the Japanese version of a common Saturn game, I can often get it cheaper and in better condition from Japan.

Who cares? Rich people are going to do things like this. I don't see how it hurts you. If you want to play Super Mario Bros, there are 1000 super cheap or free ways to do so.

If you want an unopened, mint condition original, simple supply and demand will come into play. Seeing as I didn't even realize there ever was a boxed version, I imagine supply is really low.

The box isn't why it's expensive, it's the sticker. You can get new boxed SMB much less.

Sometimes I feel like I should sell off my entire physical collection before the nostalgic fogies move on or collectors realize most of these things aren't actually worth it.

Before I entered I was thinking "It is in that stupid Grade Plastic Wrap" and I was right.

I was at a Convention two years ago and talked to some people there about how ridiculous games are getting to buy sometimes when they are not rare, such as Steamboat Chronicles, Rocket Knight Adventures and SotN.

One guy even said that £350 for SotN is a con with the seller saying it goes for much more then eBay (funny as these people selling at conventions rip off the original sellers)

Unfortunately it is a free marlet where you can sell at the amount people will pay, which most of us either choose to or not.

I always look for deals of games I want to play and will never go above £100 (even when I got Panzer Dragoon Saga for £96).

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

Well, collecting and gaming are two separate, different things.

StormCell

Everything I'm hearing in this thread sounds like a case for why ROMs should be made available for sale or able to be distributed freely. Collectors can have their original cartridges and discs. Gamers should be able to buy carts and load any ROM they want onto it without having to resort to probably illegal means to get everything they need (including the ROM).

Airola

So this is a super rare version + it is sealed + it is graded.

It's not as if someone pays that amount for just SMB, or even for a rare version of that, or even sealed version of that.

Now, there are people who don't care about video game grading and some think it's complete bullshit and the graders don't know what they are doing.
But still, it's not THAT big of a wonder this kind of a combo might one day end up going for insane amount of money.

Airola

Everything I'm hearing in this thread sounds like a case for why ROMs should be made available for sale or able to be distributed freely.

Well, you can buy SMB for WiiU and 3DS for 5 dollars.
I guess it's available to be played on Switch too if you pay for their online thing.

Before I entered I was thinking "It is in that stupid Grade Plastic Wrap" and I was right.

I was at a Convention two years ago and talked to some people there about how ridiculous games are getting to buy sometimes when they are not rare, such as Steamboat Chronicles, Rocket Knight Adventures and SotN.

One guy even said that £350 for SotN is a con with the seller saying it goes for much more then eBay (funny as these people selling at conventions rip off the original sellers)

Unfortunately it is a free marlet where you can sell at the amount people will pay, which most of us either choose to or not.

I always look for deals of games I want to play and will never go above £100 (even when I got Panzer Dragoon Saga for £96).
So this is a super rare version + it is sealed + it is graded.

It's not as if someone pays that amount for just SMB, or even for a rare version of that, or even sealed version of that.

Now, there are people who don't care about video game grading and some think it's complete bullshit and the graders don't know what they are doing.
But still, it's not THAT big of a wonder this kind of a combo might one day end up going for insane amount of money.

You guys realize most of the premium is just a sticker right?

any morons here want to buy my collections?

all collections under 1000$ ea! (atari, nes, gen, n64, segasaturn (maybe))

Last edited:

The Snake

I know, but the gamers who just want to play a handful of their old favorite games aren't the ones driving up prices. The collectors are.

Totally. I have a whole room in my house dedicated to legacy consoles and while my collection is decent, there are a lot of classics from my childhood (my collection was stolen repeatedly as a child -- a story for another day) that are just so prohibitively expensive that it makes the endeavor damn near pointless. There's emulation obviously, but it's so nice to just have those games, blow in them, and pop them in like I did as a kid.

Last edited:
Yes. And the guy who bought it realizes that too. He had the cash, you didn't. He has the game, you don't. He's happy about it, you aren't.

Like the spin and random conclusion jumping. I have the money, but a sane person isn't spending 100k on a sticker.

TLZ

Banned
And bragging about their super uber untouchable massive collections and must-haves on YouTube that they'll never play.

"Look! Me too! In a special society I belong!"

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And bragging about their super uber untouchable massive collections and must-haves on YouTube that they'll never play.

"Look! Me too! In a special society I belong!"
Sometimes it feels as though they're buying those games for the sake of pushing out another video, not even for the sake of the pointless collection.

"Oh look at this legendary game that [diehard fans of genre] would all loooooove to own"

Sets in on the shelf, never to be removed for years.

TLZ

Banned
Sometimes it feels as though they're buying those games for the sake of pushing out another video, not even for the sake of the pointless collection.

"Oh look at this legendary game that [diehard fans of genre] would all loooooove to own"

Sets in on the shelf, never to be removed for years.
Tell me about it. And the shitty teasing that goes with it, and how they found it for 50c! Or in a dumpster.

StormCell

Well, you can buy SMB for WiiU and 3DS for 5 dollars.
I guess it's available to be played on Switch too if you pay for their online thing.

The games are available but not the ROMs. I suppose you could dump the ROM from one of those devices, but I'm also sure you could find the ROM online. I don't believe any of these methods are totally legal. I'd like a totally legal way to come into possession of the actual ROM without having to dump it from a cartridge I own.

I just think it's time to allow these ROMs to be had by legal means for folks who want to make their own cartridges or buy their own custom cart to play in whatever device they prefer to play it on. Yes, I know that upsets what the corporation beast thinks is fair.

They're never going to think it's fair for any of their old works to become free to the public. :messenger_winking:

hivsteak

The micro economics course I took in college taught me to be angry at the supply and demand for a product, not the price.

Airola

Because it raises the p-

Are you doing this on purpose? You know what this thread is about.

This doesn't raise the price of a regular SMB cart. This doesn't raise the price of a boxed SMB.

This is like some music album that's some rare misprint version that some collector pay huge amounts of money for. People paying more money for that doesn't mean the prices are going to raise
Now, over one hundred thousand is a crazy figure but so what?

If anything the prices of regular releases of NES games have dropped recently.

Airola

The games are available but not the ROMs. I suppose you could dump the ROM from one of those devices, but I'm also sure you could find the ROM online. I don't believe any of these methods are totally legal. I'd like a totally legal way to come into possession of the actual ROM without having to dump it from a cartridge I own.

I just think it's time to allow these ROMs to be had by legal means for folks who want to make their own cartridges or buy their own custom cart to play in whatever device they prefer to play it on. Yes, I know that upsets what the corporation beast thinks is fair.

They're never going to think it's fair for any of their old works to become free to the public. :messenger_winking:

Having an official store for ROM files would be cool, I'm with you on that.

To quote Indiana Jones "it belongs in a museum!"

Someone spending 100 thousand dollars on a game that can be bought for a few dollars just for their private collection is some asshole behavior.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is a one off thing but the collectors market in general for games has gotten crazy. I collected in the 2000s but eventually sold all my stuff.

Top Bottom