• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop CEO Says Disc Drives Should Be Required On Game Consoles

CobraAB

I got the PS5 Digital and never looked back. Switching discs is stone age gaming.

For my Switch it's the same: I don't play my physical games simply because I'm too lazy to get up and walk towards the box.

Last time I got a physical PC game was Wrath of the Lich King.
Its certainly your right not to have control over that game of you wish to sell it Or trade it or give it away.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
For me there I remember some of the games on that glorious list, but then when you went to the counter to inquire about the game it was always, "Nope, don't have it".
I came to believe the list was just an alphabetical listing of known games and not relevant to stock on hand.
Oddly, when I ordered games through a phone call to the company, the list was totally on the money.

Correct, the list was their going prices. If you ordered through the company they were probably pulled from a warehouse.

I’ve got a few memories from there, like snagging a used copy of Tomb Raider for Saturn when the game was only a couple weeks old at a nice savings. Also picked up Gran Turismo on the spot when I walked in and it was a new release. They had it running on a small TV and we were just in awe of how incredible it looked.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

It's always the same discussion. All the reasons why gamers like the physical disks are the exact reasons why the publishers and the devs dislike them. It's just a matter of which side of the equation wins out.

Regardless of the outcome, I don't think Gamestop will be a major player in shaping how this unfolds. Hopefully the disks stay around in some form for people that like them.

Thank god were leaving the disc drive era. I am tired of shit taking up space on my shelves oh and also fuck GameSpot. Scummy company to begin with selling you used games as "new"

For my Switch it's the same: I don't play my physical games simply because I'm too lazy to get up and walk towards the box.
6J8xbxT.gif

It's fine you know. Not everyone can have a well shaped body like the physical crew.
SNPFDbA.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
75-80% of console sales are digital. Its a losing battle for disc drive gamers.

All those benefits of discs are thrown out the window when gamers realized digital files can save them 10 seconds from getting off their ass to change a disc.

tr1p1ex

Console absolutely DOES. Each manufacturer offers their store only, without physical competition there is extreme danger to consumers with prices and/or sales.
there isn't extreme danger. console makers already set the prices. That's why the games are the same price in every physical store.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Required? I get the self interest here and the protection of consumers bit but let’s have the consumers pick on their own?

Eh - Ok… sure… let’s shut it all down then? As that’s the only viable solution to completely mitigate the impact… ;)

But that wasn’t my point to my response to the GS CEO statement.

My point? When was the last time you installed a new game from a disc that you “own” that didn’t require a day one patch? Heck - when was the last time you were able to install a new game that actually installed everything from the disc that didn’t require an Internet connection? For me it’s be a very long time…

The only reason he made that statement is because of the impact to GameStop’s core business model - and that model is inherently flawed because it’s directly attached to an aging medium… they will need to pivot sooner than later…

I agree with him that consumers need to have choices and options with respect to purchasing and accessing their media content … but there are significantly better ways to do that without a continued dependency on constrained hardware/medium…

If he wants to jump on the consumer bandwagon, then he should actually lead and advocate core changes in the industry that is truly on behalf of the consumer instead of a half hearted attempt to protect the interests specific to his company…

I already touched on what I've highlighted here from your response in one of my previous replies on this thread so I'll simply quote that since it appears there's still misconceptions on the current state of physical games.

Many as in the majority? That's not true: https://www.doesitplay.org/index. The relevant column that you should look at is "Download required".

Also, there's around 900 Nintendo Switch cart complete games that don't require any additional data to download.

This is not aimed at you, btw, but I find it odd how so many here on GAF and other gaming focused forums are so misinformed about the current state of physical media in gaming. I think that's just because they've read a few too many clickbait titles from the likes of IGN or other mainstream outlets.

I have zero issues with people going digital (I was one of them before switching to console a few years back), but at the same I don't understand why digital only gamers keep pushing for eliminating options for those of us that still prefer physical media for their games when it doesn't even affect them. Just let us be till the moment the console manufacturers decide to switch to a digital only future.

And the Gamestop CEO having vast interest for physical games to not disappear is a given, but I rather have him as an advocate on this since the biggest gaming publishers are on the opposite side of this issue with them wanting to 100% control the distribution chain by going entirely digital.

Lastly, losing physical games as a purchasing option goes directly against the interest of the consumers (e.g. cheaper day 1 games at least here int he EU due to retailer competition, actual ownership since you can do w/e you want with the disc/cart once you have it in your possession, access to a vast market of used games, etc.). Anyway, I'll just leave it here but I hope you at least get to understand some of my gripes with all this digital only future that I know it's inevitable.

Last edited:

BlackTron

He could at least state it outright instead of trying to attach it to something about charging ports.

Great for customers! By the way, by coincidence you know what else is good for customers? Not because I'm CEO of Gamestop, just because we happen to be talking about it...

GTFO of here man

BlackTron

Microsoft or Sony have a responsibility to champion us consumers, to duplicate the physical experience and integrate such a system into their ecosystems. Anything less is unacceptable and should be denounced. Gamers should be placing huge pressure on these companies to be as pro consumer as possible, especially considering the inevitable shift to digital only.
Should be, but simple fact is, convenience and instant gratification trumps all else and demonstrably so.

Customers don't want rights, or resell value, or the ability to share or trade. Not more than they want to have it as quickly and conveniently as possible. There is no incentive for MS/Sony to change these systems because they have already gotten away with it.

0neAnd0nly

there isn't extreme danger. console makers already set the prices. That's why the games are the same price in every physical store.

Ignoring that the comment isn’t true: hence that Walmart in store offers games cheaper than anybody else, also the club stores (sams, Costco, etc), or past launch deals at GS, Best Buy, etc…

How is there not danger?

Retail / physical copies force market competition.

That also forces competition to the digital side.

If the physical competition disappears completely, you’re telling me that the company that just went up to $80 a year to play online will continue to try to offer mass amount of sales? Or the company who invented MTx to all of a sudden care about fairly pricing games?

Did you take business or econ classes?

Last edited:
Not exactly sure how's in the US, but across the pond in Europe there's still big competition between the various online and brick-and-mortar stores. Heck, just earlier today I've received my preorder copy of Anonymous;Code for Switch, which I snagged for €45 with free shipping. If I were to go digital on this game I would've paid the non-discounted launch MSRP of €60 that's on both eShop and/or PSN.

Having said that, I've also received a sleek steelbook with the physical copy, and better yet, it arrived one day early than the actual release date. I'd say that's a pretty fucking good deal vs digital! Once I finish it I can trade it in/sell it and recoup most of my money; I wouldn't have this option if I went digital...

Edit: Another example of a game I'm interested in right now and plan on getting day 1 is Lies of P. On PSN it's €60, but from the game store I buy my physical games from it's €45.99 with free shipping if I'm preordering it now. Hmm... I have a very hard time with what I should be doing here... help me out guys (inb4 snarky game pass reply cuz it's free on it). 🤔

Last edited:
I haven’t used my disk drive once since the Xbox One came out. And PC gaming has been all digital for much longer than that.

Writing is on the wall, it’s pretty obvious why a CEO of a company that profits off of used game sales would say this.

I’m all for consumers having options, but it’s inevitable that physical media will go away, just a question of when.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I haven’t used my disk drive once since the Xbox One came out. And PC gaming has been all digital for much longer than that.

Writing is on the wall, it’s pretty obvious why a CEO of a company that profits off of used game sales would say this.

I’m all for consumers having options, but it’s inevitable that physical media will go away, just a question of when.
For me, I use the drive in my X for playing some old BC games I still got lying around, plus 4k movies discs. Thats it. The last disc game I bought was Witcher 3.

By the time next gen comes around in 2027, I dont think I'll be buyig 4k movies anymore. So a purely digital box is fine for me. But for gamers wanting a drive, I'm all for options. But when the games are are around 20% physical copies on console, it gets pretty hard to justify making it. Not only the hardware hassle, but converting all the disc players to digital download makes Nintendo, Sony, MS more money as they get the full sale, and not Amazon, Best Buy or Walmart getting the retail cut on physical.

tr1p1ex

Ignoring that the comment isn’t true: hence that Walmart in store offers games cheaper than anybody else, also the club stores (sams, Costco, etc), or past launch deals at GS, Best Buy, etc…

How is there not danger?

Retail / physical copies force market competition.

That also forces competition to the digital side.

If the physical competition disappears completely, you’re telling me that the company that just went up to $80 a year to play online will continue to try to offer mass amount of sales? Or the company who invented MTx to all of a sudden care about fairly pricing games?

Did you take business or econ classes?

The games are all the same price. Yes yes we know technically speaking Walmart might have the game for $59.88 at launch. Or that Costco which requires a membership might sell the $60 game for $55 at launch. etc.

Those things are done with permission of the console maker/game publisher. The manufacturer in many cases controls the pricing. Like an Apple will control what their product is sold at.

The competition for game pricing are the other games/game platforms/entertainment options and the game itself especially post-launch. The console makers will still run sales. They like money. They know they can make more money over time thru sales and price drops especially for less popular product or after a product's sales start dropping after a period of time. No different than now.

Also a physical retailer's costs are much higher than any digital store front. And by the same token the console maker's margins on its own digital store are way higher. Those forces will only work in favor of lower prices over time on a digital store from a Nintendo or Sony or MSFT.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Game disc would make sense if a full, patched game would be printed on it. But that's not the case. I have physical copy of Cyberpunk 2077 for Xbox. It's useless without newest patches.
Rewritable carts then. Something where you could transfer the license from cart to console and back would be ideal. Buy physical, play it digital, sell if you want.

Fbh

75-80% of console sales are digital. Its a losing battle for disc drive gamers.

All those benefits of discs are thrown out the window when gamers realized digital files can save them 10 seconds from getting off their ass to change a disc.

Pretty much, that and not having to deal with physical shipping which might get delayed and can't be pre loaded.
Still, I expect whining once people get the consequences of having given console makers a completely monopoly on their respective systems.

Myths

because it’s integral to their operations, of course. Next, I can see him potentially arguing for temporal key codes that allow you to play the game for a fixed limited time. Don’t be surprised.

“7 day pass code” Only usable through some integrated service that handshakes with your game account too.

0neAnd0nly

The games are all the same price. Yes yes we know technically speaking Walmart might have the game for $59.88 at launch. Or that Costco which requires a membership might sell the $60 game for $55 at launch. etc.

Those things are done with permission of the console maker/game publisher. The manufacturer in many cases controls the pricing. Like an Apple will control what their product is sold at.

The competition for game pricing are the other games/game platforms/entertainment options and the game itself especially post-launch. The console makers will still run sales. They like money. They know they can make more money over time thru sales and price drops especially for less popular product or after a product's sales start dropping after a period of time. No different than now.

Also a physical retailer's costs are much higher than any digital store front. And by the same token the console maker's margins on its own digital store are way higher. Those forces will only work in favor of lower prices over time on a digital store from a Nintendo or Sony or MSFT.

Walmart undercuts everyone by $5 now. In store. No Pennies.

Yes the manufacturer sets the MSRP price, relatively - but there are variances as well.

There is absolutely ZERO argument that says less competition = better for consumers. Period. I’m not sure what you’re arguing.

Physical needs to survive and competition is a good thing. MS is historically anti-consumer, Sony isn’t much better.

Competition going away and then having monopolies over their digital store fronts = disgustingly bad times ahead for consumers.

On top of that, people that are “all digital”

Let’s not forget too…

Go try to buy old forza, NFS, Godzilla (ps4) digital or any of the many games taken down of digital stores due to licensing issues. Can still find them in the wild physically, good luck on the digital stores. Preservation of older games will be in heavy danger without physical as well.

Last edited:
The market isn’t always right.
If enough of the market doesn't support it, then it's not a viable business option and will be abandoned or adjusted, assuming they still have the funds and public appeal to do so. It's always nice to have options upon purchase, such as disk drive or digital only, but I don't see why a feature should be a hard requirement. I always have the option to not support it.

If enough of the market doesn't support it, then it's not a viable business option and will be abandoned or adjusted, assuming they still have the funds and public appeal to do so. It's always nice to have options upon purchase, such as disk drive or digital only, but I don't see why a feature should be a hard requirement. I always have the option to not support it.
That’s the problem, normies and casuals aren’t the smartest gamers, so they don’t need to make the choice for true gamers and industry regulars.

0neAnd0nly

Can't believe some fellow gaffers in here championing an all digital future....makes me sad

It’s confirmation bias 10000.

Don’t want to be wrong / blamed about lazy practices being the downfall of deals, sales and game preservation.

So we root for the super rich anti-consumer company instead! Yay! WEDONTNEEDTOOWNANYTHINGANDWESTILLHAPPY!

Last edited:

sendit

What if the internet servers go down the future. Goodbye retro gaming...you guys never consider things before having these horrible takes. You own nothing with digital only. NOTHING.

Oh no, the internet servers go down. End of the world!

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Too many new games pushing the medium forward to care about retro gaming. I have a limited amount of time to play at any given week. I'd rather experience something new versus revisiting the past.

Additionally, the PC master race has been digital for over a decade now.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Personally, it doesn't matter to me. Too many new games pushing the medium forward to care about retro gaming. I have a limited amount of time to play at any given week. I'd rather experience something new versus revisiting the past.

No offense man, but this is the issue with the generations Millennial and below, and why there is bubbling frustration and tension.

It isn’t always about ME. Short sighted, lazy, selfish tendencies have led us to some dark BS especially in the coming future ALREADY, and that isn’t even talking about gaming.

Just because YOU like something doesn’t mean you shouldn’t care about the broader picture.

Physical and competition = a good thing for everybody.

Sleepwalker

He's right. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, the day these consoles become fully digital is the day ill be done with console gaming.

I like having a tangible product.
Ive already lost a console digital library to a bs ban.
Console stores are markedly more expensive than retailers.
Console store sales suck. Dead Space remake on sale on PS store $64.99 cad, $44.99 at gamestop right now.
Paid online and subscription services.
Weak hardware.
No backwards compatibility (if no disc drive)

Why should I remain in the walled garden with less choice and more expensive products when PC exists? Xbox is already basically obsolete to me with the series S, all games on PC day 1 and the (now patched) inability to play/install your discs offline on series X, so I choose not to purchase games on that platform and my console collects dust.

Last edited:

sendit

No offense man, but this is the issue with the generations Millennial and below, and why there is bubbling frustration and tension.

It isn’t always about ME. Short sighted, lazy, selfish tendencies have led us to some dark BS especially in the coming future ALREADY, and that isn’t even talking about gaming.

Just because YOU like something doesn’t mean you shouldn’t care about the broader picture.

You can keep fighting a losing battle. People value convenience, on demand context, less steps to accomplish X task etc.. Movies, music, software, games have all been distributed digitally for over a decade now. Neogaf is an echo chamber of people stuck in the past.

So you speak for everyone in the world?

Exactly!!!!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pretty much, that and not having to deal with physical shipping which might get delayed and can't be pre loaded.
Still, I expect whining once people get the consequences of having given console makers a completely monopoly on their respective systems.
I said it before in an old thread and some people agreed.

In gaming, all companies have to do to push a product is just stick with it. Digital downloads, MTX, sub plan price increases, digital games disappearing, $70 US games etc....

After an initial uproar, gamers always conform. The next big thing will probably be consoles having no disc slot. It'll happen permanently at some point. We already got Series S and PS5 digital testing the waters.

Now if gamers really want to make a stand, do what Coke drinkers did in the 80s and made Coke ditch Coke II and go back to the old drink. And that was for cans of pop!

The thing is, who is really correct? The core gamer complaining who are in the minority? Or the majority of gamers who just accept it and conform? Some will say if gaming doesn't have core gamers there's no industry so do it our way. Others will say without casuals with deep pockets there's no industry either so the company can do what they want. We dont care.

0neAnd0nly

You can keep fighting a losing battle. People value convenience, on demand context, less steps to accomplish X task etc.. Movies, music, software, games have all been distributed digitally for over a decade now. Neogaf is an echo chamber of people stuck in the past.

I’m probably younger than you, or not much older.

I push for things that don’t affect me in many places in life - because it’s the BEST possible scenario regardless of my personal view.

It isn’t that hard. It’s narrow minded AF to feel a different way.

Convenience is cute and all, but look at what the west has sacrificed in the name of it.

Problem: “We can’t expand police budget and hire more cops! That’s inconvenient!”

Solution: “more cameras, more tickets, and many times - more accidents! BIG BROTHER KNOWS BEST!”

Problem: “we can’t just wait 10 minutes to text someone back!”

Solution: self driving cars with technology to DRIVE ITSELF AWAY FROM THE OWNER IF THEY DEEM IT NECESSARY

Problem: I can’t get up and swap a disc for ~10 second and 5 whole steps

Solution: “you own nothing, your games cost more and are of a lesser quality and… LOL NO SALES BECUZ NO COMPETITION!”

It’s stupid. Competition = best possible outcome. You should care, unless your parents are giving you an allowance still to not. Anti consumer is NEVER good. Period, period, period. The way tech fans deep throat the companies cuz “muh entertainment” is next level disgusting.

Top Bottom