• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevtones

Yay, Oregon got a really good 4* and 5* despite an awful start to the season. They were probably sold on Les Miles being the new head coach.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
One of the greatest OL coaches of all time, former Nebraska OL coach Milt Tenopir ("Architect of the Pipeline") has passed away from leukemia at age 76: http://www.ketv.com/sports/huskers-...mer-nebraska-coach-milt-tenopir-dies/41841846

CtVBFTBVIAAAAbk.jpg

He got to briefly say goodbye to the team a few days ago: https://twitter.com/HuskerFBNation/status/779079384896462848

jfkgoblue

USC is certainly not the best anymore. It has been tainted after the last 7 years, and wasn't some huge prize when Carroll got the job, either. They recruit well, but it doesn't have the same cache as Alabama or Ohio State, to name two.

The only way you can "taint" a brand like USC is if something like Penn State comes across. USC has had a few down years, like Texas, like Michigan, like Alabama, but they have insane resources and an incredible local recruiting base.

The only other school close to them is Texas and maybe Ohio State.

The blue bloods always come back unless there is a fundamental shift in how they can get players(Nebraska and prop8) or they get caught doing something truly dispicable(Penn State)

The fact is, USC will always have the potential to be the dominant team in CFB, and that makes the job so desirable.

This also brings up the point that LSU fans should be huge Texas and USC fans this year if they are to have any hope of bringing Herman in.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I think Pete Carroll's success was partly on USC's reawakening, but also due to a hilariously soft Pac10 conference. Who was going to challenge USC for the conference besides Oregon? Arizona under Stoops? Washington under Willingham? UCLA under Dorrell or Neuheisel? Stanford (they didn't have their breakout year until after Carroll had already left)?

Carroll swept that broke ass league because there were a bunch of pretenders. They were Alabama, and the rest of th teams were the current Big Xii.

Would Carroll still have success against David Shaw, Petersen, Mora, The Pirate, and Helfritch? Sure, but he would probably not be a perennial top 5 lock.

I think Pete Carroll's success was partly on USC's reawakening, but also due to a hilariously soft Pac10 conference. Who was going to challenge USC for the conference besides Oregon? Arizona under Stoops? Washington under Willingham? UCLA under Dorrell or Neuheisel? Stanford (they didn't have their breakout year until after Carroll had already left)?

Carroll swept that broke ass league because there were a bunch of pretenders. They were Alabama, and the rest of th teams were the current Big Xii.

Would Carroll still have success against David Shaw, Petersen, Mora, The Pirate, and Helfritch? Sure, but he would probably not be a perennial top 5 lock.

It wasn't just Pac-10 scrubs. They pretty much destroyed everyone OOC as well. They embarrassed Oklahoma in the title game 55-19, and the same Arkansas that won the SEC west got dismantled 70-17 by USC that year.

cdyhybrid

It wasn't just Pac-10 scrubs. They pretty much destroyed everyone OOC as well. They embarrassed Oklahoma in the title game 55-19, and the same Arkansas that won the SEC west got dismantled 70-17 by USC that year.

And all the B1G teams they stomped in the Rose Bowls...Iowa in the Orange Bowl...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Thinking back, the early to mid 2000's were pretty miserable for the SEC. There was Saban at LSU, who managed all of 1 championship (or 1/2 because of the Rose Bowl), but even then he had a couple 3 loss seasons. In the east Florida was full on in the Zook Years, it was the last gasp of Tennessee, and maybe Richt had more control of Georgia at the time. Kentucky, Vandy and South Carolina were just there.

In the west, Alabama was horrible, and Auburn won because there was nothing there to stop them. LSU had a return, but nothing like complete dominance that they think they had. Arkansas and the Mississippi schools were barely function, with maybe one decent year with State and Arky.

Then once Florida got going again, followed by Alabama, then it was sporadic burst of excellence. But I think once Ole Miss got a taste of it, everything is sliding towards chaos. Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are on varying grounds of implosion, depending on the week. LSU's fired their coach and Auburn is deluding themselves about their situation right now. Arkansas is your good ole drunk uncle, the one who talks about Destinie from the titty bar too much. Is Texas A&M good, or are they filling the space from everyone's collapse?

But thank Gawd, those paragons of consistency still exist, in the forms of South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Kentucky.

Long latenight story short. USC filled in the power shortage from the PAC and football in general. Roll tahd.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You don't want Miles at UNC.

Hard to say. Miles is a great recruiter, but a pretty conservative offensive mind. To me, he'd be a lot like Butch Davis was. Neither UNC nor NCSU is going to get the same level of recruits that LSU did, whether Miles is there or not, but he'll be able to keep a few more NC HS players home rather than an SEC school.

I just really don't like Fedora much at all, to me he is Petrino tier, seems kinda shady.

jjasper

Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are on varying grounds of implosion, depending on the week.

I will take the constant treat of imploding every week vs the actual imploding that was going on. I just wish we would play like we are down 14+ all the time.

the Zook Years

hurl_cam.gif

Yay, Oregon got a really good 4* and 5* despite an awful start to the season. They were probably sold on Les Miles being the new head coach.

Oregon is one of those teams that are easy to hate on, with the flashy Nike on Nike on Nike. But for that period with Mariota / Thomas, they were pretty fun and dynamic to watch.

A pretty big source of their hatred is in the commentary their games got, though. Billed as the Second Coming, talked about as the answer to classic dominant football, and all that. They couldn't just let us enjoy the show.

And now we have to talk about B1G seriously. I blame Herbstreit.

ryseing

Hard to say. Miles is a great recruiter, but a pretty conservative offensive mind. To me, he'd be a lot like Butch Davis was. Neither UNC nor NCSU is going to get the same level of recruits that LSU did, whether Miles is there or not, but he'll be able to keep a few more NC HS players home rather than an SEC school.

I just really don't like Fedora much at all, to me he is Petrino tier, seems kinda shady.

Oh, Fedora's the worst. Remember, he OK'd Beckman coming on the staff. But if Miles takes over at Carolina they immediately lock down recruiting in the state, and the scraps Duke and State fight for will be even further reduced.

Apparently Orgeron fired Cameron.

Also, Weekly Meltdown. Y'all are slacking.

andycapps

Why would UNC fire Fedora though?

I get that we're about to get a bunch of coaching firings that may have been borderline before. LSU moved the timetable up and the other schools want in on the coaching carousel.

Draxal

I get that we're about to get a bunch of coaching firings that may have been borderline before. LSU moved the timetable up and the other schools want in on the coaching carousel.

Because Tom Herman is going to coach every school in the Power 5.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Nobody is gonna want to coach at UNC with all of the NCAA violation shit going around the program. They'd be stupid to cut bate now unless they want to get an up and comer to weather the bad years.

ryseing

We're not saying UNC will fire Fedora. We're saying Fedora will go to LSU.

The pay of a HC job for power 5 has to be factored when we talk about whether someone should stay where they are or not. Whether it's to build a dynasty at the school where they're cutting their teeth or if it's going to a dumpster fire to start spraying the extinguisher.

Because the possibility of another couple million dollars a year can do things to a person's values.

andycapps

We're not saying UNC will fire Fedora. We're saying Fedora will go to LSU.
No offense to Fedora, but why would LSU want him unless they get turned down by a lot of coaches? I'm assuming it's because their offensive scheme has sucked and he'd be installing a more modern scheme.

Draxal

No offense to Fedora, but why would LSU want him unless they get turned down by a lot of coaches? I'm assuming it's because their offensive scheme has sucked and he'd be installing a more modern scheme.

Florida got McElwain from Colorado State.
UGAS got Smart from a coordinator position @ Bama.
USC got Helton because God hates TTK.

Wouldn't be a bad hire considering recent hires haven't been that impressive.

andycapps

Florida got McElwain from Colorado State.
UGAS got Smart from a coordinator position @ Bama.
USC got Helton because God hates TTK.

Wouldn't be a bad hire considering recent hires haven't been that impressive.

True, head coaching experience at a power 5 school is nice to have. And he does tick the box on changing up the offense. Feels like schools alternate between coaches who skew towards defensive side with then wanting a coach that skews towards offense and vice versa. McElwain is an example of that.

Voras

It's also important to note that Oregon didn't even have Chip Kelly as head coach until Carrol's last year. The Pac-10 was very week during the Carroll years, UCLA basically imploded during the early 2000s, and Stanford and Oregon hadn't yet become the power house teams they've been for the last 6 or 7 years. Harbaugh also wasn't at Stanford until Carroll's last few years.

Or you have Rutgers where we alternate between defensive head coach & OH MY GOD WHY DOES THIS GUY HAVE A JOB, GET HIM OUT PLEASE (Shea, Flood)....

ryseing

Good results at a program with less resources and regarded as a reasonably capable offensive mind. If he brings Chizik with him as DC it's a solid package.

True, head coaching experience at a power 5 school is nice to have. And he does tick the box on changing up the offense. Feels like schools alternate between coaches who skew towards defensive side with then wanting a coach that skews towards offense and vice versa. McElwain is an example of that.

That's true. Richt to Smart is the same way, right? Wasn't Mark an FSU OC or offensive something or other? Offensive Gatorade Guy?

Either way, I think Smart was one of the best pick-ups to gamble on. He was a true talent at Bama and his absence is apparent.

He just needs to weather the transition. Dawgs always pull a solid recruiting class together, so the tools will probably be there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Either way, I think Smart was one of the best pick-ups to gamble on. He was a true talent at Bama and his absence is apparent.

It is? So far Chad Kelly and uMiss are the only team to be able to move the ball on Bama. Defense hasn't missed a beat without him.

andycapps

Good results at a program with less resources and regarded as a reasonably capable offensive mind. If he brings Chizik with him as DC it's a solid package.

Yep, valid points.

That's true. Richt to Smart is the same way, right? Wasn't Mark an FSU OC or offensive something or other? Offensive Gatorade Guy?

He just needs to weather the transition. Dawgs always pull a solid recruiting class together, so the tools will probably be there.

Yes, was similar in that Richt was offensive coordinator for FSU when they won a championship. Had some great seasons there. And they looked good on offense when he came and was calling the plays. He's calling the plays again now at Miami.

Kirby will probably be fine. The biggest problem right now is having undersized linemen that were recruited for a zone blocking scheme vs a power style scheme that Smart wants to run. You just need bigger and stronger guys. The line will get better. Next year should be better though with younger, more talented guys playing. Will also have some issues with that. Will be 2018 before the changes he wants really make themselves felt.

Problem as I've said before wasn't really level of recruiting, though 4th-5th in the SEC every year doesn't really get you much better than being 4th-5th in the SEC every year. They're #3 in recruiting right now with a lot of room left to add. I think they end up around 3 still. Which is still a great place for them. Have to string that along and even improve on that for years to get a championship team.

andycapps

Really? I guess I just thought they wouldn't want Briles near the program. Then again, schools care more about winning than ethics. Wishful thinking.

Always thought Briles was bound for Auburn. They definitely don't care about anything but winning.

LSU is in a weird spot, insane talent base to recruit from, but even though their donors donate, the school is broke.

School being broke and athletic department being broke do not go hand in hand. I mean we're talking about another Tiger Stadium expansion.

Draxal

School being broke and athletic department being broke do not go hand in hand. I mean we're talking about another Tiger Stadium expansion.

Like I said the donors donate, but Cameron and Miles got paid, and when your school is struggling the optics don't look that great.

Another problem with LSU is that Alleva should be on the hot seat as well, who wants to work under that ad (same thing happened with Haden @ USC).

Isn't that mainly because of the terrible government situation they have dowm there

100% due to that.

Isn't that mainly because of the terrible government situation they have dowm there

Jindal fucked us hard man.

Like I said the donors donate, but Cameron and Miles got paid, and when your school is struggling the optics don't look that great.

Depends on where the optics are coming from. Most people down here are pretty much in favor of anything that keeps football happening, whether it be cuts or whatever. It's Louisiana, education has never been important.

jfkgoblue

Really? I guess I just thought they wouldn't want Briles near the program. Then again, schools care more about winning than ethics. Wishful thinking.

Always thought Briles was bound for Auburn. They definitely don't care about anything but winning.

Yeah, its sad, but honestly, I think Briles would maintain the state recruiting and keep LSU relevant, I don't think they're getting Herman and I have a hard time believing anyone else could hold the state like Miles did.

Depends on where the optics are coming from. Most people down here are pretty much in favor of anything that keeps football happening, whether it be cuts or whatever. It's Louisiana, education has never been important.

Sounds like a quality Republican base.

Draxal

From the coaches themselves, poor ad in alleva and unstable financial situation in college knocks it down a couple of pegs down from the other comparable schools (the bamas of the world).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom