• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Of to Europe they go

fb_img_1472687341806u8qx8.jpg

fb_img_14726873381120nqvy.jpg

fb_img_14726873315329sqti.jpg

Fucking gonna have to get up like it's a work day and make coffee so I'm awake and ready for that 7:30 AM kick. LoL

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
8I9PHdq.png

And I thought getting up for Gameday was bad.

I knew something was off, when I saw a 7:30 as the 1st game of the day.

Among the 50 new things for #FirstFrost are new bathroom signage and new types of specialty hot dogs.

They know people will need to make sure they know where the bathrooms are. Also just realized that we're having a white out. And it's very likely to rain on Sat...

http://ucfknights.com/news/2016/8/31/football-top-50-new-items-for-2016-season.aspx

They managed a whole 3 items related to the actual football team (with 1 completely vague statement being one of them), then its off to the races on "we got sum Fiyahworks"

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah, I originally planned to smoke a brisket as a good excuse to be up for that game, but I'm not sure I can make myself do it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Among the 50 new things for #FirstFrost are new bathroom signage and new types of specialty hot dogs.

They know people will need to make sure they know where the bathrooms are. Also just realized that we're having a white out. And it's very likely to rain on Sat...

http://ucfknights.com/news/2016/8/31/football-top-50-new-items-for-2016-season.aspx

please turn out to be a genius coach... please turn out to be a genius coach... please turn out to be a genius coach.

giphy.gif

Oh and in Big XII expansion clusterfuck news, a few teams have apparently confirmed they were not selected to advance in the process. Whatever that process is.

Looks like at least UNLV, New Mexico, and ECU. So basically after this first cut, we're likely to get to many of the teams that everyone has been talking about all along anyway.

But for real get that cincy hotdog. Goetta is the GOAT of breakfast meats and no one outside of cincy has ever heard of it

But for real get that cincy hotdog. Goetta is the GOAT of breakfast meats and no one outside of cincy has ever heard of it

All of the dogs sound good actually, except the New Orleans one. I don't know about rice in a hot dog bun even if it may be with a sausage.

But alas, I won't even have a chance to taste them until October. It'll be my one home game I can go to.

Lkr

It's not as crazy as you think. SEC teams play 4 OOC teams. 4 x 14= 56 OOC games. Most SEC teams play 1 FCS (14 games), 2 mid majors (28 games) , and 1 P5 opponent (14 games).

So really only 14 games are in question. And most of those games are either at a neutral site, or at the SEC team's home field. Notice how with All of those big SEC matchups in week 1, NONE of them are true road games. Very smart scheduling by the SEC to put them in good position to run the table, and I think there is no doubt that the SEC goes 56-0 in regular season OOC games this year. NO DOUBT

SEC losing home games to FCS schools wouldn't be a new thing

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh and in Big XII expansion clusterfuck news, a few teams have apparently confirmed they were not selected to advance in the process. Whatever that process is.

Looks like at least UNLV, New Mexico, and ECU. So basically after this first cut, we're likely to get to many of the teams that everyone has been talking about all along anyway.

I'm not surprised cause they want market share, but I really thought New Mexico was a good fit.

Trying to move into Big 10/ACC/SEC territory will just leave said school odd man out. People in that region aren't gonna suddenly become Big 12 fans.

All about dem ad dollars though.

My ex is in Vet school in Ames, she doesn't ever seem to have things to do besides school.

Your ex is in Ames? Sounds like you won that breakup

I'm not surprised cause they want market share, but I really thought New Mexico was a good fit.

Trying to move into Big 10/ACC/SEC territory will just leave said school odd man out. People in that region aren't gonna suddenly become Big 12 fans.

All about dem ad dollars though.

Academic reputation and poor football program aside, the biggest hurdle for New Mexico is their population. The population of Houston is larger than the population of the entire state of New Mexico. So besides the simple geographic advantage of "Moving the Big 12 West" they add nothing. If the Big 12 goes west, it's BYU and hell even Boise State is better.

FyreWulff

I should visit Ames one of these days, considering it's a short drive. I've only pass through Des Moines once with their fancy covered walkways.

Your ex is in Ames? Sounds like you won that breakup

Academic reputation and poor football program aside, the biggest hurdle for New Mexico is their population. The population of Houston is roughly the population of the entire state of New Mexico. So besides the simple geographic advantage of "Moving the Big 12 West" they add nothing. If the Big 12 goes west, it's BYU and hell even Boise State is better.
Apparently Air Force "made the cut."

Apparently Air Force "made the cut."

Yeah I forgot about them and Colorado State. What the conference likes about Airforce (And BYU for that matter) is that fans of those programs go outside state boundaries. BYU gets almost all the Mormon audience and Airforce gets some fans that are in the military.

andycapps

yeah, I originally planned to smoke a brisket as a good excuse to be up for that game, but I'm not sure I can make myself do it.
I opted for a couple pork butts and some ribs. Briskets are so good but take me a few hours more.

So yeah, I'll be awake and drinking my coffee while I get the stuff in the smoker.

Yeah I forgot about them and Colorado State. What the conference likes about Airforce (And BYU for that matter) is that fans of those programs go outside state boundaries. BYU gets almost all the Mormon audience and Airforce gets some fans that are in the military.

I don't know if they applied, but at that rate, I'd think Navy would be the better option. They have the Army/Navy game and they seem to be a better program. At least recently.

I know a few years AFA was pretty good, but they seem to have fallen off.

Guys. I can't believe we finally have a slate of CFB tomorrow. I'm so pumped. It sucks our sport is only played 3 months out of the year with a near 9 month offseason but it also makes opening weekend that much sweeter.

I don't know if they applied, but at that rate, I'd think Navy would be the better option. They have the Army/Navy game and they seem to be a better program. At least recently.

I know a few years AFA was pretty good, but they seem to have fallen off.

Oh, they applied alright

csu-geography.png

csu-competes.png

csu-summary.png

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Guys. I can't believe we finally have a slate of CFB tomorrow. I'm so pumped. It sucks our sport is only played 3 months out of the year with a near 9 month offseason but it also makes opening weekend that much sweeter.

Oh, they applied alright
"Quarterback Garrett Grayson named Heisman Trophy aspirant."

What the fuck :jnc

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
"Quarterback Garrett Grayson named Heisman Trophy aspirant."

What the fuck :jnc

I like the last page, middle column, spouting off some decents stats like "won conference 6 years in a row"

Then you see that they stuck "Volleyball" at the bottom of the 1st column, and these are volleyball stats.

jfkgoblue

On r/cfb they had some sources that it was down to 8 schools in BYU, Cincy, UH, Memphis, UCF, USF, and 2 "unnamed AAC schools" which people took to mean Tulane and Temple because they are private schools

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I like the last page, middle column, spouting off some decents stats like "won conference 6 years in a row"

Then you see that they stuck "Volleyball" at the bottom of the 1st column, and these are volleyball stats.
Haha, damn that's tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom