• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright boys and girls, since were only a few days out lets see those Arm Chairs we all QB from during the great Saturday nights of the fall.

This will be my first season in my house and ive finished up nearly everything in the "man cave" (terrible term). Built the bar and finished a lot of the basement myself, previous owner only had it half done.

Post em up!

Im still working on some shelves for next to the fridge to put glasses and stuff. I also have a table and barstools behind the couch you cant see.

Nice! Wife and I just bought a house, and the downstairs used to be a rental/mother-in-law unit, so I have a ton of space to play around with. Can't wait to get started.

By the way, did I mention that I'm super excited for this upcoming Greatest Opening Football Weekend of All Time that I'm going to completely miss because I'm going to be at a wedding in Middle of Nowhere, CA? If I'm lucky, I *might* be able to stream the tOSU game in the morning.

Fall weddings are the WORST.

Its the moment you have all been waiting for the first game week poster

201601-game-poster.jpg.pagespeed.ce.vAcZLcdeAL.jpg

Nice! Wife and I just bought a house, and the downstairs used to be a rental/mother-in-law unit, so I have a ton of space to play around with. Can't wait to get started.

By the way, did I mention that I'm super excited for this upcoming Greatest Opening Football Weekend of All Time that I'm going to completely miss because I'm going to be at a wedding in Middle of Nowhere, CA? If I'm lucky, I *might* be able to stream the tOSU game in the morning.

Fall weddings are the WORST.

Fuck fall weddings, all of my friends know if you get married on a Saturday in the fall I will not be there.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2014/07/37574/fall-weddings-zero-tolerance

Couple breakdowns from me:

Hype Ratings for the B1G contenders:

Michigan - overhyped
tOSU - probably correctly hyped / slightly underhyped?
Michigan State - underhyped
Penn State - underhyped (just kidding, they aren't a contender)

Iowa - Overhyped
Wisconsin - overhyped
Northwestern - underhyped
Nebraska - hyped correctly / slightly underhyped

Nebraska in a nutshell this year is interesting.

They probably have the best WR corp in the B1G (or second behind tOSU), and maybe the best tight end too in Carter. But they have a QB who against P5 competition last year threw a pick every 30-31 attempts. No bueno. The Husker skill positions are stacked to a level that only the Michigan schools and tOSU compete with.

The offensive line should be solid over time, but it starts the season inexperienced right now and may not gel right away, plus the 2nd best lineman (LG) was lost for the season, his back-up is injured until maybe Oregon, and a walk-on or true frosh will be in that slot. That said, it returned the players that graded well, has one of the best OL in the B1G (Gates), and lots of young potential. Nebraska may be able to redshirt a full class of younger OL from this past class that are the foundation for solid future OL.

Defensive is tricky. LB was a huge problem last year but is now 6 deep and looks good. The secondary is strong and should be way better than last year but potentially thin with a drop off after the first 6 DBs or so.

DL is a problem for Nebraska in that it lost a ton of contributors to the NFL and transfer. It won't be bad, but it's the glaring weakness.

The ability to generate pressure on the QB will be tough. Last year Nebraska, despite having a good players at DT and shutting down most teams' running games, failed to generate much pressure with its defensive ends. Expect Nebraska to run 3-3-5 in nickel/passing down situations to keep its talented linebacker core on the field and disguise where it will send pressure from. How it manages to stop the run with the degradation of the DL positions will be something to watch, though improved LB play may cover some of that.

Special Teams should be better with the return of All-American Punt Returner De'mornay Pierson-El. Nebraska had to replace its punter who passed away, true frosh Lightbourn is good, but is still a frosh, so look for some shanks and other shenanigans you get with a freshman punting.

Tons of the team returns, and this team did lose 7 games last year, but by a total of 31 points. (yes, I know it lost to Purdue, but it was with a back-up QB so god damn nervous he couldn't remember any running plays and gave up five turnovers himself). Assuming some improvement, it could be a big jump. The schedule is tougher this year though (road trips to NW, Wisc, tOSU, Indiana, Iowa... plus Oregon at home).

Honestly it's all going to come down to Armstrong though. If he can find a way to limit the mistakes, Nebraska could take the division. But it could be another 7-8 win type season with multiple toss-up type games on the schedule (Oregon, Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota and a probable loss at Ohio State). Figure they get a 50/50 split on the toss-ups, and it's 8-4 in all liklihood.

Due to some talk about them making the playoff, I definitely think Michigan is slightly over-hyped. But at the same time, this is their year to make a big move. Lots of NFL talent on the roster and year 2 for Harbaugh -- team should really be ready to take off.

Coulple things holding them back will be the schedule (road games at Iowa, MSU and OSU) and QB play. Should be dominant on defense, and enough weapons on offense if they can hold onto the ball.

OL play for Michigan will make or break the season. If they can play well and run the ball then it will take a ton of pressure off Speight/O'Korn.

Still think the odds of going undefeated is really low -- plus a back-loaded schedule is not helpful. Best hope would probably be 11-1, but should be 7-0 going to East Lansing.

Will be interesting...

I'm going to enjoy watching the CFB playoff committee pick Notre Dame over Michigan for the 4th spot.

Oh, hey, Prevail & Ride's (final?) season preview is out.

FyreWulff

Lol, don't like him very much? I would take him over Bo any day.

Bo went 8-3.

The only 8-3 Riley will ever see is the bank hours for his credit union as he orders another checkbook to go buy groceries at Super Saver.

KGIWNIRNRDGFWBP.20141205030127.JPG

"Gosh golly that's a bit mean, it almost makes me want to cuss!"

Y0S0X3h.jpg

"Baloney buns!"

Baylor WR abuses dog, gets 3 game suspension
Isn't that more of a suspension than abusing women at that school?

Playoff Prediction:
- Bama
- Clemson
- Michigan
- Oklahoma

jfkgoblue

but that's the thing. It's not like those schools stopped getting talent. OU had plenty of talent during some of that stretch. Esp at the end with Blake buying Stoops OU title team.

Coaching matters a lot. Process matters a lot.

Talent does matter, but we've seen Nebraska recruit at a high level both with Callahan and now with Riley. Is that recruiting at a level to continual compete for a national title? No. And is that achievable? I don't know.

But can Nebraska recruit nationally and well enough to compete with Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois and Minnesota to win its division on a regular basis? Certainly. Can Nebraska recruit well enough to be able to compete and beat tOSU/MSU/Mich in Indy? Certainly.
Ohio state and Michigan (and even Penn State) recruit significantly better than any West division team...

Nebraska will never be the same, they took advantage of a loophole that has been closed. I just don't see how Nebraska ever wins the Big Ten more than 1-2 times a decade.

And don't even get started about nationally, really the only 2 Big Ten teams that can compete with the Alabama's, USC's etc talent wise is OSU and Michigan

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Ohio state and Michigan (and even Penn State) recruit significantly better than any West division team...

Nebraska will never be the same, they took advantage of a loophole that has been closed. I just don't see how Nebraska ever wins the Big Ten more than 1-2 times a decade.

And don't even get started about nationally, really the only 2 Big Ten teams that can compete with the Alabama's, USC's etc talent wise is OSU and Michigan

They will never compete in pure numbers, sure, but if they build a system, there is no reason to assume they can't become a conference contender at least. They definitely need to pick an identity and stick with it hardcore, though. That has worked for teams like Texas Tech, Houston, Navy, Oregon, etc. in the past.

jfkgoblue

What was the loophole Nebraska used?
Basically every conference other than the Big 8 banned "partial qualifiers" kids who either didn't have the grades or test scores to get into a D1 school and participate in athletics. So think elite athletes that today would go to JC first. Nebraska would let them come for a semester and if they passed, give them a scholarship. This was closed when the big 8 added the 4 SWC teams and Texas insisted on it, basically every other big 8 school voted with Texas and it was closed. Nebraska has never been the same since.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What was the loophole Nebraska used?

partial qualifiers. Basically kids that didn't qualify and would normally have to go to Juco could come to Nebraska, they'd be ineligible during the first year, and if they made grades that year, they'd become eligible. Nebraska with its academic support made this something they used. The Big XII killed it when it came to fruition. The beginning of the schism (a lot of the Big 8 schools voted with Texas on many an issue).

It's really irrelevant though, the majority of the 1999 team, which Osborne would've won a title with and Solich came damn close wasn't built on PQs.

Solich then ran the program into the ground with his recruiting. He kept Osborne's ACs who were old and didn't want to go on the road anymore. The talent dropped big time.

Callahan's recruiting classes, which were ranked right alongside Michigan's during his 3 full cycles, didn't need PQs (and Pelini did pretty well with Callahan's recruits...).

But yet again, Pelini didn't recruit in a way that could keep up. Riley may be able to. Early returns look very strong.

Nebraska itself isn't the problem. But it's allowed subpar recruiters to drag it down, and Nebraska is not a place where a sub par recruiting coach or organization can be allowed, due to some of its natural disadvantages.

Please tell me this is a joke...

It's not as crazy as you think. SEC teams play 4 OOC teams. 4 x 14= 56 OOC games. Most SEC teams play 1 FCS (14 games), 2 mid majors (28 games) , and 1 P5 opponent (14 games).

So really only 14 games are in question. And most of those games are either at a neutral site, or at the SEC team's home field. Notice how with All of those big SEC matchups in week 1, NONE of them are true road games. Very smart scheduling by the SEC to put them in good position to run the table, and I think there is no doubt that the SEC goes 56-0 in regular season OOC games this year. NO DOUBT

jfkgoblue

It's not as crazy as you think. SEC teams play 4 OOC teams. 4 x 14= 56 OOC games. Most SEC teams play 1 FCS (14 games), 2 mid majors (28 games) , and 1 P5 opponent (14 games).

So really only 14 games are in question. And most of those games are either at a neutral site, or at the SEC team's home field. Notice how with All of those big SEC matchups in week 1, NONE of them are true road games. Very smart scheduling by the SEC to put them in good position to run the table, and I think there is no doubt that the SEC goes 56-0 in regular season OOC games this year. NO DOUBT
The SEC East does exist and it is, in fact, terrible

Sec West I could see an argument to be made(still doubt that) and LSU @ Lambeau should be decent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom