• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Still not totally understanding the reason why we are pushed to Community still. There must be a personal vendetta the admins have against college football, right? Having one thread in OT couldn't be much of a clutter. Unless it is to make way for yet another Trump, BvS, Police Shooting, or Man of Steel thread, right?

Might as well rename OT the TBvSPSMoSBLM forum.

There is nothing special about college football that makes it different from anything else in the community forum.

Still not totally understanding the reason why we are pushed to Community still. There must be a personal vendetta the admins have against college football, right? Having one thread in OT couldn't be much of a clutter. Unless it is to make way for yet another Trump, BvS, Police Shooting, or Man of Steel thread, right?

Might as well rename OT the TBvSPSMoSBLM forum.

Yeah really don't get it as there are other OTs that are regulars on the main off-topic forum.

Hopefully this at least allows for some new infusion of posters I guess. Better than being banished for the entire season.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
There is nothing special about college football that makes it different from anything else in the community forum.

and yet, there are always OTs that float around the OT forever. Many that reach thousands of posts...like the NFL weekly thread...ya know the exact damn thing as this, but only with professional teams...

Draconian

And yet somehow the new Dragon Ball anime is allowed to have four OTs in Off Topic. I don't think we're killing anything by being here too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
and yet, there are always OTs that float around the OT forever. Many that reach thousands of posts...like the NFL weekly thread...ya know the exact damn thing as this, but only with professional teams...

NFL threads live in community same as ours. They got the same benefit we did for a few weeks.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
NFL was banished to community, too. They're only over here because of our hard work.

A better comparison would be the weekly box office thread, as an example. Sure, it's smaller scale, but there's no reason why that's in OT and not OTC.

I'm putting on my seer sucker and snapping my suspenders as we speak.

I wish you big city law-yers would stop posting so much, I'm starting to get GAF ads for attorneys.

NFL was banished to community, too. They're only over here because of our hard work.

A better comparison would be the weekly box office thread, as an example. Sure, it's smaller scale, but there's no reason why that's in OT and not OTC.

It doesn't help that boxoffice thread is hella clique-ish and full of whining fanboys. I care more about Toledo's football season than I do that your favorite terrible DC movie grossed a bunch of money for some movie executives.

ryseing

I disagree, there is always room for a new legendary coach at the blue bloods, hell Michigan has several, and doing it at a blue blood with huge fan bases and national recognition will have a much larger impact than a small fan base that is Houston

This expansion shit is literally following the Big East's "how to lose autobid" path.

Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas will be the only safe Big 12 members when it ultimately folds.

As #htowntakeover as shown, Houston's fanbase has a ton of room to grow. Houston is the fourth biggest city in the US and moving to the B12 would make the Cougars Houston's "team". They have plenty of money thanks to oil. Herman's pretty much in the perfect spot.

And I agree with you on the second point, though I would add Oklahoma State to that equation of safe members. The B12 is a powder keg getting ready to blow. Add Houston and Cincy, get the title game back, and pull some GoR business like the ACC. Doing nothing is a much worse option at this point. Otherwise Oklahoma and Texas are Pac-12 bound.

Lkr

I wish you big city law-yers would stop posting so much, I'm starting to get GAF ads for attorneys.

It doesn't help that boxoffice thread is hella clique-ish and full of whining fanboys. I care more about Toledo's football season than I do that your favorite terrible DC movie grossed a bunch of money for some movie executives.
Lmao I agree with this shit. Football is the most popular sport in America and it's only for ~14-20 weeks of the entire year depending on pro or college. If cfb and NFL are Community threads, then why isn't box office in there? Having it in OT helps keep this thread more active I've noticed

This is a shout out to anyone saying Jimbo to LSU: fuck you you fucking assholes, find your own coach.
Thanks

jfkgoblue

As #htowntakeover as shown, Houston's fanbase has a ton of room to grow. Houston is the fourth biggest city in the US and moving to the B12 would make the Cougars Houston's "team". They have plenty of money thanks to oil. Herman's pretty much in the perfect spot.

And I agree with you on the second point, though I would add Oklahoma State to that equation of safe members. The B12 is a powder keg getting ready to blow. Add Houston and Cincy, get the title game back, and pull some GoR business like the ACC. Doing nothing is a much worse option at this point. Otherwise Oklahoma and Texas are Pac-12 bound.
Houston will never be as big of a fan base as say... Texas(or A&M for that matter), Houston is like the fourth most popular team in its own city behind Texas, A&M, and LSU. I understand you really want to keep Herman, but I just don't think he will be content to be the overlooked program, but hey, I don't know the guy so I could be wrong.

Also I don't really see how the Big 12 adding anyone really helps them out.... There is a reason why these teams were left out in the past, the only really good add is BYU, but the rest are just meh. The conference is finished in 2024, wether they expand or not. I do feel for K-state and ISU fans though, they are totally fucked. It's ironic because this situation is pretty much Nebraska and Texas's fault, and Nebraska is now in the safety of the Big Ten while Texas could got PAC or independent easily.

cashman

Banned
Houston will never be as big of a fan base as say... Texas(or A&M for that matter), Houston is like the fourth most popular team in its own city behind Texas, A&M, and LSU. I understand you really want to keep Herman, but I just don't think he will be content to be the overlooked program, but hey, I don't know the guy so I could be wrong.

Also I don't really see how the Big 12 adding anyone really helps them out.... There is a reason why these teams were left out in the past, the only really good add is BYU, but the rest are just meh. The conference is finished in 2024, wether they expand or not. I do feel for K-state and ISU fans though, they are totally fucked. It's ironic because this situation is pretty much Nebraska and Texas's fault, and Nebraska is now in the safety of the Big Ten while Texas could got PAC or independent easily.

I really like UCF's potential. Yeah it's crowded in Florida but their actually located in a good media market and they're building up a really big alumni base. The biggest problem is that they'll fuck up the geography. Houston in the Big XII would be bad for all the other teams without much of a benefit.

Cyan

Banned
Hey guys, so I heard my Corndogs dumped Miles but are having a hard time deciding whether to hire Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Jim Harbaugh, or Les Miles. I personally think we should grab Miles now that he's free; it's a lateral move but he's not as old as Saban.

Alcibiades

I don't understand the support for getting Jimbo Fisher. He's got the Winston rape baggage and Florida State might just get surpassed by Louisville and Clemson. Sounds like a big gamble with a low chance of surpassing Saban.

impirius

All of the entertaining coaches are going away :(

Just look at this list of SEC head coaches and compare it to a few years ago:
Nick Saban
Bret Bielema
Gus Malzahn
Jim McElwain
Kirby Smart
Mark Stoops
Dan Mullen
Hugh Freeze
Will Muschamp
Butch Jones
Kevin Sumlin
Derek Mason

ZZZZZZZ. You probably didn't even notice that Barry Odom was missing. I already miss the glory days of Spurrier quips, Miles free-association answers, Richt losing control of X, Dooley's orange pants and concern with personal hygiene... even rage-volcano Muschamp has mellowed into an angst-campfire. I don't want to live in a world where we have to rely on the B1G for wacky coach hijinks

Karl2177

K State is as safe as Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. State governments would be pissed if they took one but not the other. The only loser in the conference collapse is Iowa State. WVU still has the ACC option, and TCU and Baylor at least showed themselves as potential powerhouses. Iowa State has basketball and even then we've been living under Kansas's shadow for 12 years. It'd be nice if we could go to the B1G, if only to put Iowa and Iowa State in the same conference for the first time in 105 years.

Hey guys, so I heard my Corndogs dumped Miles but are having a hard time deciding whether to hire Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher, Jim Harbaugh, or Les Miles. I personally think we should grab Miles now that he's free; it's a lateral move but he's not as old as Saban.

I think picking up Les Miles is a great idea, but only with an enormous contractually agreed upon buyout option that the Mad Hatter can call upon in the event that his offensive stops playing for a few years or gets moved to Community.

Signing bonus is a must.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Kirby Smart with a visor looks alot like GAF favorite Larry Culpepper especially since Smart has let his hair grow out a bit.

kirby-smart-uga.jpg

BzCS83eIUAAYCha.png

Someone came into my office and said they were excited for LSU to hire Kiffin and I promptly kicked him out and then when no one was looking shed a single tear for the dumb choices we're going to make.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The only thing I want for Christmas this year is for LSU to hire Lane Kiffin. The lulz would be had for years, YEARS I tell you.

One a serious note, Herman will not go to LSU. Why would he willingly choose to coach in the SEC west when he has the Texas job on lock and a possible USCw offer pending?

He just needs to ask Sumlin or Miles how amazing it is having delusional fanbases erupting in anger after the yearly ass beating by Saban. No way in hell.

Now if it was an SEC east school....

K State is as safe as Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. State governments would be pissed if they took one but not the other. The only loser in the conference collapse is Iowa State. WVU still has the ACC option, and TCU and Baylor at least showed themselves as potential powerhouses. Iowa State has basketball and even then we've been living under Kansas's shadow for 12 years. It'd be nice if we could go to the B1G, if only to put Iowa and Iowa State in the same conference for the first time in 105 years.

WVU isn't that safe because the ACC doesn't want them and didn't originally when they came out and presumably doesn't want them still and the BIG won't take them because they don't have the academic profile they look at (at least Nebraska had it when they entered for appearances sake) and WVU does nothing in terms of television appearances.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So Oklahoma fans and other Ags, is Trevor Knight the best worst QB, or the worst best QB?

He seems like such a good guy, but I cringe every time he drops back to pass. He is like Bucky Richardson with a great arm, but horrible inconsistency, and complete brain fart moments!

A lot of Aggie livers will be destroyed by the end of this year due to him.

Jhriad

The idea of having the thread in community through the week and in OT on Saturday during the games made a lot of sense.

Yup. Hopefully this time in OT gave CFB-GAF participation a long enough tail to keep it going another year. I looked at the numbers last year, at least I think it was last year, and they showed progressively declining thread participation after the switch to permanent Community thread.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A little sad to hear Miles on the radio right now.

Hopefully, LSU crash and burns, taking the reputation of their new HC with them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
And I agree with you on the second point, though I would add Oklahoma State to that equation of safe members.

Oklahoma State is probably pretty safe, but Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are basically the 100% safe group.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are in the next tier down; good revenues, good fan support, political support from highly coveted in-state schools. Those two should feel really good about their chances, just not 100% like the top 3. Feels like Kansas State should be here as well due to similar reasons but it seems like the talk about them is constant doom and gloom.

All of the entertaining coaches are going away :(

Clearly LSU should hire Mike Leach.

::edit::
I think TCU and Baylor are probably the least safe schools in the entire Big XII. Private, religious, small, little to no growth potential, home markets dominated by other much larger public schools.

I don't like Iowa State's chances much either, but they have better revenue than both BU and TCU, more students than both combined, provide a new market to every conference but the B1G, and have AAU academics on their side.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Want a nice new coach? PJ Fleck from Western Michigan is your guy. He's young, has swagger, kids respect him, and he has succeeded at every level thus far in his young career
Does he eat grass. This is very important to LSU. With all of their recent budgetary issues, being able to save on lawn maintenance costs is a key cost saving measure for them.

As much crap as I give ISU, I do have enough family and political connections to it that I do have a bit of a soft spot for it.

That said, there's no way the B1G takes ISU in the current revenue generation paradigm. Just look at their last two additions, Rutgers is only in because it brings in New York TV households for the BTN. ISU doesn't add households, recruiting territory, consistently high athletics, national exposure, or much of a legacy.

Furthermore, I don't think you really want to be in the B1G. You'd get creamed in football even in the easier West conference and although you've got the 800 lb gorilla in Kansas now in basketball and the B1G lacks a as constantly successful program as Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, or Duke (although MSU is debatable,) it does have enough good basketball teams on a year-to-year basis that it'd be much more challenging to consistently compete here. And you wouldn't fare much better in the non-revenue sports either. Wrestling in particular would see a steep increase in the competition level.

impirius

Clearly LSU should hire Mike Leach.
Mike Leach is right where he was always meant to be as the architect of bizarre late-night Pac-12 fever dreams

On the bright side, this all means that we get a few new episodes of the cult-classic show, Ed Orgeron: SEC Head Coach

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Does he eat grass. This is very important to LSU. With all of their recent budgetary issues, being able to save on lawn maintenance costs is a key cost saving measure for them.

All I can tell, is he has 4 or so kids, is younger than I am, and in the span of a year got divorced and married again. He's also younger than I am.

ryseing

Want a nice new coach? PJ Fleck from Western Michigan is your guy. He's young, has swagger, kids respect him, and he has succeeded at every level thus far in his young career

Row the damn boat.

FWIW I'm not a Houston fan. I'm just someone who isn't convinced that Herman leaving is a done deal.

I'm inclined to agree with you after some thought. Adding anyone would be just shoveling water out of the lifeboat at this point.

WVU isn't that safe because the ACC doesn't want them and didn't originally when they came out and presumably doesn't want them still and the BIG won't take them because they don't have the academic profile they look at (at least Nebraska had it when they entered for appearances sake) and WVU does nothing in terms of television appearances.

If the ACC adds anyone it will be Navy to get ND on board and to get to 16, as well as get the Maryland market back.

Oklahoma State is probably pretty safe, but Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are basically the 100% safe group.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are in the next tier down; good revenues, good fan support, political support from highly coveted in-state schools. Those two should feel really good about their chances, just not 100% like the top 3. Feels like Kansas State should be here as well due to similar reasons but it seems like the talk about them is constant doom and gloom.

::edit::

I think TCU and Baylor are probably the least safe schools in the entire Big XII. Private, religious, small, little to no growth potential, home markets dominated by other much larger public schools.

I don't like Iowa State's chances much either, but they have better revenue than both BU and TCU, more students than both combined, provide a new market to every conference but the B1G, and have AAU academics on their side.

Baylor is so fucked. The B12 has been looking for an excuse to dump them and there's no chance in hell another major conference will take a chance on them after all of the issues they've had. TCU has a better profile than Baylor but their terrible basketball program will hold them back.

Kansas State has Snyder and that's really it. Once he retires they'll have nothing going for them. KU will go anywhere they want because of basketball but there's no chance in hell a conference will take two shit football schools in Kansas of all places. TT will be OK I think.

jfkgoblue

You really think that in the event of a collapsing Big 12, that will save them? Big ten will take KU, but will never take K-State, same goes for Texas and Tech, OU and Okie State

Just Merge with the Pac-12 and be done with it.

You really think that in the event of a collapsing Big 12, that will save them? Big ten will take KU, but will never take K-State, same goes for Texas and Tech, OU and Okie State

State political leaders will absolutely get involved, maybe not KSU. But Tech and OSU are safe.

Hell last time around T Boone Pickens basically said he has ensured OSU has a home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom