• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

cdyhybrid

bNejY9D.png

I'm still not following our recruiting too much but I see that our 2018 class already has more ESPN300 commits than our 2017 class did. I know a lot can change between now and next February but this is seemingly a good start for Herman.

CBS's top 25 power 5 coaches going into the 2017 season
Note: There are 65 Power 5 coaches, and all 65 have been ranked. Want to guess who they picked dead last at 65?
Answer:
Scarlet Knights Chris Ash

25 Cougars
Mike Leach
24 Yellow Jackets
Paul Johnson
23 Gators
Jim McElwain
22 Fighting Irish
Brian Kelly
21 Bulldogs
Dan Mullen
20 Hawkeyes
Kirk Ferentz
19 Tigers
Gus Malzahn
18 Nittany Lions
James Franklin
17 Blue Devils
David Cutcliffe
16 Wildcats
Pat Fitzgerald
15 Hurricanes
Mark Richt
14 Utes
Kyle Whittingham
13 Cardinals
Bobby Petrino
12 Cowboys
Mike Gundy
11 Spartans
Mark Dantonio
10 Horned Frogs
Gary Patterson
9 Wildcats
Bill Snyder
8 Cardinal
David Shaw
7 Huskies
Chris Petersen
6 Sooners
Bob Stoops
5 Wolverines
Jim Harbaugh
4 Seminoles
Jimbo Fisher
3 Tigers
Dabo Swinney
2 Buckeyes
Urban Meyer
1 Crimson Tide
Nick Saban

andycapps

CBS's top 25 power 5 coaches going into the 2017 season
Note: There are 65 Power 5 coaches, and all 65 have been ranked. Want to guess who they picked dead last at 65?
Answer:
Scarlet Knights Chris Ash

25 Cougars
Mike Leach
24 Yellow Jackets
Paul Johnson
23 Gators
Jim McElwain
22 Fighting Irish
Brian Kelly
21 Bulldogs
Dan Mullen
20 Hawkeyes
Kirk Ferentz
19 Tigers
Gus Malzahn
18 Nittany Lions
James Franklin
17 Blue Devils
David Cutcliffe
16 Wildcats
Pat Fitzgerald
15 Hurricanes
Mark Richt
14 Utes
Kyle Whittingham
13 Cardinals
Bobby Petrino
12 Cowboys
Mike Gundy
11 Spartans
Mark Dantonio
10 Horned Frogs
Gary Patterson
9 Wildcats
Bill Snyder
8 Cardinal
David Shaw
7 Huskies
Chris Petersen
6 Sooners
Bob Stoops
5 Wolverines
Jim Harbaugh
4 Seminoles
Jimbo Fisher
3 Tigers
Dabo Swinney
2 Buckeyes
Urban Meyer
1 Crimson Tide
Nick Saban

Feel like James Franklin might be a little low on this list, but it seems pretty solid.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nobody posted the "not" Jim McElwain photo yet.

He denies it's him obviously even though as deadspin said you can Google image search and the photo hasn't come up for anything other than the story saying it was him. LoL

It's all about measurables and not what players actually did in college. All these guys think they can make something out of nothing.

ESPN has a new top 25. tOSU moved from #3 to #1 because of reasons.

Clemson is in the top 10 for some reason. Losing the best player they've had in 10-20 years will apparently be something they can overcome despite the awful performance from their QB's in the spring game. Maybe they think their defense will be scoring a lot of NOT's since it will be really stout.

Sorry, a bit late to this, but I have seen Hunter Johnson make simply incredible throws. Is he a playoff qb right now? Hell no. He has an absurdly high ceiling, and with the right support staff can go far. That said, I agree that the team is too highly ranked and that 2017 will be a rebuilding year with a trip to the Peach Bowl.

My dark horse team for a weirdly high end-of-season ranking is App State. I think they could possibly run out their season with an 11 game streak after losing to UGA in week one.

Edit: top of page so I'll throw this out: I think Ohio State ( as much as I hate the program) could end winning it all this season depending on FSU's ability to survive in Death Valley come November..... Not sure if I can handle an entire year of BuckNuts and his avatar if they win...... ;)

It's all about measurables and not what players actually did in college. All these guys think they can make something out of nothing.

ESPN has a new top 25. tOSU moved from #3 to #1 because of reasons.

Clemson is in the top 10 for some reason. Losing the best player they've had in 10-20 years will apparently be something they can overcome despite the awful performance from their QB's in the spring game. Maybe they think their defense will be scoring a lot of NOT's since it will be really stout.
Clemson's class is could be disgustingly good next year even if they have a down year this year compared to next year.

They still have Dexter Lawrence and Wilkins on the line to make life hell for opposing offenses.

3-4 is reasonable, 1-2 is exceptional to me.

Edit: top of page so I'll throw this out: I think Ohio State ( as much as I hate the program) could end winning it all this season depending on FSU's ability to survive in Death Valley come November..... Not sure if I can handle an entire year of BuckNuts and his avatar if they win...... ;)
It will be fabulous.

andycapps

Sorry, a bit late to this, but I have seen Hunter Johnson make simply incredible throws. Is he a playoff qb right now? Hell no. He has an absurdly high ceiling, and with the right support staff can go far. That said, I agree that the team is too highly ranked and that 2017 will be a rebuilding year with a trip to the Peach Bowl.

My dark horse team for a weirdly high end-of-season ranking is App State. I think they could possibly run out their season with an 11 game streak after losing to UGA in week one.

App State is going to be good this year. UGA should win but App State is going to keep it close and make UGA look dumb until the 4th quarter.

Them going undefeated the rest of the way is very likely. Honestly, App State is one of those teams that these days is pretty dumb to schedule. You win and nobody cares, but you lose or its close and then you're overrated. They are a lot better team than when they beat Michigan years ago since they made the jump to FBS.

App State is going to be good this year. UGA should win but App State is going to keep it close and make UGA look dumb until the 4th quarter.

Them going undefeated the rest of the way is very likely. Honestly, App State is one of those teams that these days is pretty dumb to schedule. You win and nobody cares, but you lose or its close and then you're overrated. They are a lot better team than when they beat Michigan years ago since they made the jump to FBS.

Agreed. They are an ambitious program who is willing to take chances on talented kids with a history of discipline problems. Only so much trouble you can get into in Boone NC. ;)

ryseing

UVA and Wake will be traveling to Liberty in the near future according to our President. Unreal.

HE ANNOUNCED IT DURING THE COMMENCEMENT

Top Bottom