• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just go in expecting some form of bias from like 90% of ESPN CFB coverage. I'm just happy someone is covering the sport.

Plus most times it's either overtly obvious or else it's only in certain minute situations.

#Shrugs

Vanillalite

Chris Spielman is suing Ohio State for using his likeness with corporate sponsorship. I support this Chris, good job.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-ohio-state-lawsuit-its-the-right-thing-to-do

Yeah, this seems reasonable.

It is reasonable, but people gonna jump to defend OSU due to blind loyalty.

Also I love how supposedly OSU said they offered to pay him in negotiations, but that was after OSU went ahead and used his likeness ie they hope he wouldn't notice or care. Like they own his image in perpetuity.

ag-my001

I honestly dislike Herbstreit more than any other commentator in college football. His bias is so obvious it's irritating.
The worst Herbstreit rant I remember is when he went off on the BCS because Boise State was "stealing" a slot from Oklahoma. He didn't like the rules that assigned that last slot to a G6 team, even though those same rules were what gave Oklahoma a chance instead of the other three SEC teams that were excluded due to the two team limit.

Edit: just checked, and I forgot South Carolina. There were six SEC teams ahead of Oklahoma, so four were left out.

It is reasonable, but people gonna jump to defend OSU due to blind loyalty.

Also I love how supposedly OSU said they offered to pay him in negotiations, but that was after OSU went ahead and used his likeness ie they hope he wouldn't notice or care. Like they own his image in perpetuity.

The feeling around Columbus is everyone siding with Spielman for the most part

Vanillalite

The feeling around Columbus is everyone siding with Spielman for the most part

Yeah my bad. I didn't mean to imply everyone. Just some stragglers with blind loyalty like in the article.

I think especially the younger generation has switched sides on this to favor players now.

Just popping in to say I'm nervous about our QB situation for the 7th year in a row.

It'll be obvious a few games in what we're about. If we still suck at the most important position in football I will be MAD. Real MAD.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Chris Spielman is suing Ohio State for using his likeness with corporate sponsorship. I support this Chris, good job.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...-ohio-state-lawsuit-its-the-right-thing-to-do
People always talk about lawsuits where only the attorneys win, but this is literally a lawsuit where only the attorneys will win:

Spielman says he isn’t seeking any personal financial gain from the lawsuit. Should he win the lawsuit or reach a settlement with Ohio State and IMG, Spielman plans to give any money he makes back to the OSU athletic department.

So he's suing on the principle alone and in the process won't actually hurt OSU because he'd just give the money back to the department.

How about hit them where it hurts and donate the fund to some other program that helps students. But I guess it would be his money and he can do what he wants with it. I doubt any precedence would be that strong here.

El_Chino

Just popping in to say I'm nervous about our QB situation for the 7th year in a row.

It'll be obvious a few games in what we're about. If we still suck at the most important position in football I will be MAD. Real MAD.
Zaire or Franks should be decent enough to get the offense going.

Franks has the arm and Zaire has the legs to make something happen (think of him as an upgraded Treon)

The talent at receivers and backs is there and we have a solid and experienced O Line.

Worst case scenario, QB play would slightly be better than last year.

I'm more worried about the actual play calling.
Applebees got this.

If not, then Kyle is up to the Trask
I chuckled.

So he's suing on the principle alone and in the process won't actually hurt OSU because he'd just give the money back to the department.

How about hit them where it hurts and donate the fund to some other program that helps students. But I guess it would be his money and he can do what he wants with it. I doubt any precedence would be that strong here.

Its hurting IMG who is the people who make the deals

OU has an offensive line and QB that can take them to the playoffs but we lose our best WR and two star running backs. So its like having a really great gun but no ammo for it, we can still score on weak Big XII defenses but we play @Ohio State week 2, even with Perine and Mixon that game was most likely a loss.

The Ohio State game last year was the first time in the Bob Stoops era that i had seen a large gap between the talent levels of OU and their opponent, Joe Mixon looked like the only guy we had that could play with them, gotta give Urban Meyer big props for his recruiting.

So basically hoping that a WR and RB step up big time, or the defense improves significantly from last year.

Zaire or Franks should be decent enough to get the offense going.

Franks has the arm and Zaire has the legs to make something happen (think of him as an upgraded Treon)

The talent at receivers and backs is there and we have a solid and experienced O Line.

Worst case scenario, QB play would slightly be better than last year.

I'm more worried about the actual play calling.

I chuckled.

Franks has never started a game and Zaire has thrown for 800 yards in 3 years. Still, I know there are other circumstances and I feel like it's going to be almost as much up to play-calling.

Hope we don't have the worst case scenario you mentioned. We were 116th in total offense last year. If QB play is only "slightly" better than last year, we will maybe crack the top 100. SEC-E looks to have a decent crop of QBs this year and our defense isn't likely to be as good. We've gotta figure it out on offense, like, fast. If we're lucky to win the division we can't once again go into the SECCG only a little better than last year. Typically it's unrealistic to expect to be much better than the previous season, especially given our relatively similar roster, but given how shitty we've been at the QB position it's actually realistic for us - if coaches and players are on the same page. I'm praying.

El_Chino

Franks has never started a game and Zaire has thrown for 800 yards in 3 years. Still, I know there are other circumstances and I feel like it's going to be almost as much up to play-calling.

Hope we don't have the worst case scenario you mentioned. We were 116th in total offense last year. If QB play is only "slightly" better than last year, we will maybe crack the top 100. SEC-E looks to have a decent crop of QBs this year and our defense isn't likely to be as good. We've gotta figure it out on offense, like, fast. If we're lucky to win the division we can't once again go into the SECCG only a little better than last year. Typically it's unrealistic to expect to be much better than the previous season, especially given our relatively similar roster, but given how shitty we've been at the QB position it's actually realistic for us - if coaches and players are on the same page. I'm praying.
The spring game should give you some hope of Franks potential, especially for explosive plays. Toney is also a huge X Factor.

But I agree with what you said, now that Appleby is gone and Del Rio is injured. A room of Zaire, Franks, Trask (he can he deadly accurate when playing with first team offense), Toney (seeing him play during the spring game was something) and Allen (great kid all around) make me feel this is the best QB room we've had in a long time.

Once upon a time in Florida's QB room was Tebow, Newton and Brantley....

https://twitter.com/tedvid/status/887382244393963520

Don't forget that Zaire has a whopping 4 games where he got more than 10 attempts, and the last one was VS Virginia.

In 2015.

And he completed less than 40% of those attempts (he did also rush for 87 yards so there is that).

I know CFB season is getting close because ESPN-U is starting to count down and show replays of the top 25 games of 2016. Alabama v. LSU is on right now. I forgot that game was 0-0 until the 4th quarter.

My very bored/drunk pick of the Power 5 conference championship matchups.

ACC: FSU v. Miami (kinda leaning Va. Tech, but I want this game, so meh)
Big 12: Oklahoma v. (How the hell is this game supposed to work?)
Big 10: OSU v. Wisconsin
Pac-12: Washington v. USC
SEC: Alabama v. Georgia

Feel like USC and Georgia are obvious picks to win their divisions, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they underperformed.

Eh. On paper, this feels kinda easy, but, that's why they play the games. Feel like you could sub PSU (I know) in for OSU and Florida in for Georgia pretty easy too. Let Stidham be the second coming of Cam or sum shit (ughhhhhh) and throw in some of their usual voodoo luck and a wet field or two and I could maybe sorta kinda hear the argument for Auburn (that hurt to type, even if it feels like a long shot at this point).

Should be about 45 days left...ugh. God. Going through withdrawals.

0-0. Bama and LSU are just a pair of losers.

Sorry, Cyan, but it's true.

Alabama is 0-3 in its last 3 games without Lane Kiffin.

My very bored/drunk pick of the Power 5 conference championship matchups.

ACC: FSU v. Miami (kinda leaning Va. Tech, but I want this game, so meh)
Big 12: Oklahoma v. (How the hell is this game supposed to work?)
Big 10: OSU v. Wisconsin
Pac-12: Washington v. USC
SEC: Alabama v. Georgia

Feel like USC and Georgia are obvious picks to win their divisions, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time they underperformed.

Eh. On paper, this feels kinda easy, but, that's why they play the games. Feel like you could sub PSU (I know) in for OSU and Florida in for Georgia pretty easy too. Let Stidham be the second coming of Cam or sum shit (ughhhhhh) and throw in some of their usual voodoo luck and a wet field or two and I could maybe sorta kinda hear the argument for Auburn (that hurt to type, even if it feels like a long shot at this point).

Should be about 45 days left...ugh. God. Going through withdrawals.

USC is obviously a trendy pick to win their division, but the rest of the PAC-12 seems to have way more question marks and far less talent. UCLA is the wildcard for that division in my book, although Colorado and Utah have potential.

Guaranteed rematch to get that precious 13th data point. OU vs. OKST will most likely be the matchup so the Big 12 actually moved up the bedlam game a few weeks so the inevitable rematch wouldn't literally be just 1 week later.

This feels dumb lol. Feel like this could make the situation even muddier.

Alabama is 0-3 in its last 3 games without Lane Kiffin.

USC is obviously a trendy pick to win their division, but the rest of the PAC-12 seems to have way more question marks and far less talent. UCLA is the wildcard for that division in my book, although Colorado and Utah have potential.

I definitely feel like USC has more hurdles to get over than Washington does, even if they should be a better team on paper.

For further shits and giggles, I imagine the top 4 will be some order of OSU, Alabama, USC, and Oklahoma (think either Okie team could go here with one loss, but one plays OSU on the road, so, SOS and all that).

Okie State vs... Oklahoma I guess for BIG XII

Free Shoes vs Virginia Tech atm (ACC and the BIG XII are the hardest picks at the moment)

BIG 10
Ohio State vs Wisconsin (Michigan has lost so much defensively that they aren't to reload status yet and Urban losing in Columbus in a revenge game, no way)

PAC 12
USCw vs Washington (USC has quite a harder path to get to the championship compared to the Huskies so that could easily change)

This feels dumb lol. Feel like this could make the situation even muddier.

I definitely feel like USC has more hurdles to get over than Washington does, even if they should be a better team on paper.

For further shits and giggles, I imagine the top 4 will be some order of OSU, Alabama, USC, and Oklahoma (think either Okie team could go here with one loss, but one plays OSU on the road, so, SOS and all that).

USC starts the season with Western Michigan who went 10-1 last year, Stanford, and then Texas. That's gotta be one of the tougher Septembers in the nation. And they have 2 road games against conference foes that month as well.

Their road games are @ASU, @Cal @ND, @WSU and @Colorado. That WSU game could be a really tough one for them, but at least it is early enough the weather should be okay.

UW has Montana, Fresno State and @Rutgers as their first 3. Their road games are @Colorado, @Oregon State, @ASU, and @Stanford.

I feel like we will know if USC is good or not by October. UW it might take until Mid October to be sure.

mre is a sleeper Vol? Of course.

USC starts the season with Western Michigan who went 10-1 last year, Stanford, and then Texas. That's gotta be one of the tougher Septembers in the nation. And they have 2 road games against conference foes that month as well.

Their road games are @ASU, @Cal @ND, @WSU and @Colorado. That WSU game could be a really tough one for them, but at least it is early enough the weather should be okay.

UW has Montana, Fresno State and @Rutgers as their first 3. Their road games are @Colorado, @Oregon State, @ASU, and @Stanford.

I feel like we will know if USC is good or not by October. UW it might take until Mid October to be sure.

Falling into the same old annual trap, but, I think USC should be able to get to CC week with no more than one loss. They win the Pac-12 with one loss and they're in, unless the other 4 champs are all undefeated. Which seems unlikely given the 4 favorites all play a favorite from another conference (Bama/FSU and OU/OSU).

Personally, I kinda feel like FSU drops two, but, we'll see.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So to recap Nebraska's summer so far:

• Junior WR Stanley Morgan Jr. and Junior DB Antonio Reed (both key starters) get busted in Florida on pot, will probably be suspended some amount of time.
  • Early enrollee WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (son of NFL star) also gets busted for pot, leaves team, will return in Jarnuary (?)
  • Safeties coach Bob Elliott dies shortly after stepping down to off-field job.
  • Chris Jones, one of the team's best CBs and a key player in our secondary, blows his knee out and won't be back for 4-6 months.
  • Two highly ranked defensive recruits (4* DB Elijah Blades and 3* DT Deiontae Watts) don't academically qualify and end up going to JuCos.

And this off-season was all going so well too.

UCLA is going to make the PAC12 champ game.

We're going to win it.

We have an illustrious history full of great coaches. Last year was merely a prelude to the greatness of this year.

Nialrot

So to recap Nebraska's summer so far:

• Junior WR Stanley Morgan Jr. and Junior DB Antonio Reed (both key starters) get busted in Florida on pot, will probably be suspended some amount of time.
  • Early enrollee WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. (son of NFL star) also gets busted for pot, leaves team, will return in Jarnuary (?)
  • Safeties coach Bob Elliott dies shortly after stepping down to off-field job.
  • Chris Jones, one of the team's best CBs and a key player in our secondary, blows his knee out and won't be back for 4-6 months.
  • Two highly ranked defensive recruits (4* DB Elijah Blades and 3* DT Deiontae Watts) don't academically qualify and end up going to JuCos.

And this off-season was all going so well too.

Whatever you do, just leave Scott Frost alone.

Top Bottom