• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Week 14 - Last Chance (For Chaos)

Yeah, apparently Frost went with a lower salary in exchange for a larger pool for his assistants.

Reposting from last thread.

Scott is a Clemson alum and already an OC. Just think about what it would take for you to take the same job you have at Georgia at Georgia Tech.

I hope Clemson blows the doors off Carolina, but Carolina has been putting up some points and anything can happen. I like Clemson's defense better than Carolina's, though.

andycapps

Doesn't it seem like Muschamp has more problems than his inability to put together an offense? Namely human relations issues?

Dude seems to need anger management. Do his players like him?

Yeah like a lot of these defensive minded coaches, a lot of their success hinges on who they get on the offensive side of the ball. That cupboard seems to be pretty bare at USCe, so going to have to do some real coaching up.

Why would South Carolina hire Muschamp after his time at Florida? Good lord.

Never underestimate the power of Jimmy Sexton.

Scott is a Clemson alum and already an OC. Just think about what it would take for you to take the same job you have at Georgia at Georgia Tech.

I see what you're saying. Just saying what the rumors are. I'd assume the only way he'd leave is if he's best friends with Muschamp and sees a better career path there. I know there's always been a lot of crossover between players being coaches at Auburn and UGA.

DJ Durkin to Maryland. That's my 2nd team and Durkin did well and was well-liked by kids when he was at Florida so I'm pretty pleased. He can coach defense and special teams, no doubt. Who knows about head coach but it'll really depend on the guys around him.

The local news and weather radio station in DC called WTOP put up a Facebook post with the news, noting he's Michigan's defensive coordinator, but used a picture of him when he was a Gator. I poked fun at them but by the time I hit Enter, it said the post had been taken down by the owner. Fail.

With this news and Feleipe Franks committing to UF, I think it's pretty much guaranteed Dwayne Haskins stays committed to the Terps. It would have been AMAZING to have a kid from my former high school (The Bullis School) be at UF but I'm obviously not disappointed in landing Franks.

squicken

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14273304

Good explanation about the flawed way the CFP committee looks at SOS

You are basically arguing for this guy to win the Heisman.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Darren_Sproles.JPG/379px-Darren_Sproles.JPG[/IG]

And yes, he is like him. Fantastic player in the league and at Kansas State as McCaffery is fantastic as Stanford. But between McCaffery and Henry. Henry should get it.[/QUOTE]

My guess is the backup RB at ALA could give them 95% of what Henry does. I know that is not the criteria, but parts off an assembly line are, by definition, not special

Draxal

Clemson has 2 top 10 wins and Ohio state has none. And the losses would be comparable.

1. Clemson would be more recent.
2. Michigan State is more respected than UNC, while a UNC win over Clempson would mean more than a Michigan State win over Iowa, I think it would really hurt Clempson than anything.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
My guess is the backup RB at ALA could give them 95% of what Henry does. I know that is not the criteria, but parts off an assembly line are, by definition, not special
Your guess would be wrong.

Our #2 and #3 backs:

Code:
Derrick Henry	295	1797	6.1	74 (TD)	22
Kenyan Drake	68	333	4.9	43 (TD)	1
Damien Harris	45	155	3.4	41	1

Draxal

That being said, there's no way Ohio State gets in if Iowa wins out.

Looks like we've been linked to both Warriner and Ash now.

INC Bucktram post screaming at us to tack Beck.

2. Michigan State is more respected than UNC, while a UNC win over Clempson would mean more than a Michigan State win over Iowa, I think it would really hurt Clempson than anything.

I do think Ohio state would get in over Clemson, for the record. But I don't think they would be more deserving. It would be due to big 10 bias more than anything. Clemson has more quality wins, a much stronger strength of schedule, and if they lost, a comparable loss. It being more recent shouldn't matter since the committee says they don't care when the loss occurs. But again, Ohio state would still get in over Clemson because they'd be a bigger draw.

I don't think the degree of "quality loss" matters when both Michigan State and UNC would be top 10 teams, also you have to wonder if the committee will penalize a conference championship game loss less than usual.

that being said we know the committee loves Ohio State too much ;)

It isn't bias to think that the Big Ten is better than the ACC this year.

And it isn't conference bias to put osu in ahead of Clemson if they lose. It is recency bias.

Ohio state lost two weeks ago, it's not that distant. And Clemson had to play an extra game since Ohio state couldn't even win their division.

andycapps

Hines Ward on Finebaum now saying he'd love to be an assistant at UGA. Hines Ward is one of the best players ever at UGA IMO, and an NFL Hall of Famer, but he needs to coach somewhere else first. There's a difference between playing and having to coach and recruit.

But maybe he could be on staff in some way in the back office as one of the support guys and work his way into an assistant role. That's something I could see.

squicken

Our #2 and #3 backs:

Code:

Even if the numbers were the other way, I wouldn't view them as definitive. Not all carries are equal. Change of pace backs can have higher YPC than the starter b/c they run vs lighter fronts in passing downs. College backups can have lower YPC b/c they play with other backups in obvious run situations in blowouts

Part of this is also pretty much all the preliminary talk around the playoffs is "who can hold up vs ALA's offensive line"? I haven't once heard Henry as the reason Bama will be the favorites. It's their lines

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If anything give it to UNC. They lost the first game of the year on a neutral site. Plus unlike either Clemson or OSU they'd actually be a conference champ, and neither Clemson or OSU would have as good of a win as beating #1 ranked undefeated Clemson.

It won't happen that way, but IMO the winner of the ACC game should be in no matter who.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Our #2 and #3 backs:

Code:

This might the 1st year, or at least the first since 2007, where the running is just a single running back. 2013 might have been close, as Yeldon had 1200 yards to Drake's 700 (Henry, who I barely remember playing that year, ended with 400).

07: Coffee/Grant???
08: Coffee/Ingram
09: Ingram/Richardson
10: Ingram/RIchardson/Lacy
11: Richardson/Lacy
12: Lacy/Yeldon
13: Yeldon/Drake
14: Yeldon/Henry
15: Henry

Drake's been injury maligned in 14 and 15, and you saw sporadic use of Fowler and Roy Upchurch. 14's 2nd best rusher ended up being Blake Sims.

Losing Tyren Jones (and Tenpenny RIP), put us in a bind, that Henry single handedly pushed through. Still think Bo should have seen some carries. Think he could be special in a similar way to Henry.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Even if the numbers were the other way, I wouldn't view them as definitive. Not all carries are equal. Change of pace backs can have higher YPC than the starter b/c they run vs lighter fronts in passing downs. College backups can have lower YPC b/c they play with other backups in obvious run situations in blowouts

Part of this is also pretty much all the preliminary talk around the playoffs is "who can hold up vs ALA's offensive line"? I haven't once heard Henry as the reason Bama will be the favorites. It's their lines
Have you seen Bama's other backs run? I'm going to assume not, because Drake is simply a change of pace back and Harris has simply not been impressive at all. He averaged 4.4 yards per carry against Charleston Southern, an FCS team, with probably half of his carries coming with the first team. Our 4th string back, Bo Scarbrough, has been the most impressive of the back-ups, but he's played only sparingly, because he fucked his knee up in spring practice.

And we've hashed out the offensive line issues many times before, including yesterday or earlier today. This is the weakest offensive line Saban has had since 2008, and it's not even close.

So, no, this year there are no backs on our team who could do what Henry has done. Unless you've actually watched clips of, say, Harris running this year, your opinion that we have other players who we could plug in for Henry is baseless.

Reggie Bush won a Heisman in part because he had more all purpose yards than anyone in that year. Part of the reason people like guys who gain a lot of all purpose yards like McCaffrey is that its easier to separate out his ability from a guy like Henry whose only contribution is running behind a bunch of future NFL linemen.

Also we don't really want to start going the route of comparing people to NFL guys with Alabama running backs do we? Because if anything that kind of further dilutes the argument for Henry.

Cheeto, are you denigrating the legend of Trent Truck? Because I won't stand for this..

Two as MRE and Bama-GAF have shown how terrible their oline has been this year.. Henry has carried the offense for the most part. He has the stats to win the heisman and he has been productive his entire career there.

He's going to win it and he should.

Big Ten bias.

We are through the looking glass here people.

Yes, we are..

Stop the roller coaster, I want to get off..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
People trying to talk up Bama's OL this season? Lol. If we didn't have Henry our offense would look like post-Grier Florida.

Schiano's gamble not looking good. He got a UCF offer but wanted to table it for Miami as he felt that interview went very well. Miami is apparently moving in on Richt.

Draxal

Boom.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 5m5 minutes ago
Mark Richt is headed to Miami, a source told @ESPN. 1st reported by @PeterAriz

442 retweets 197 likes
Reply Retweet 442
Like 197
More

Boom.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 5m5 minutes ago
Mark Richt is headed to Miami, a source told @ESPN. 1st reported by @PeterAriz

442 retweets 197 likes
Reply Retweet 442
Like 197
More

Richt is a nice guy accustomed to the southern folk in Athens. Dealing with Miami peeps will be an adjustment

squicken

So, no, this year there are no backs on our team who could do what Henry has done. Unless you've actually watched clips of, say, Harris running this year, your opinion that we have other players who we could plug in for Henry is baseless.

I definitely have not watched enough of Alabama to definitively say that one way or the other. My comment is based off history and what other people who have watched them play say. My belief is Bama's offensive line is going to dominate their CFB opponents. We'll see, of course!

I have no problem with Henry winning. There's no really deserving candidate this year. Someone has to win and if he is the best of the available choices then good for him

Draxal

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 11m11 minutes ago
Miami under impression Mark Richt will be Miami’s coach, source said but @Mark_Schlabach reports Richt remains undecided

Potential Snag?

Like 35
More
Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 6m6 minutes ago
Well, was just told with 100-percent certainty that Mark Richt to Miami should be finalized tonight or tomorrow.

I'm told his deal is very similar to the one he had at Georgia. Probably won't be announced until Thursday or Friday
82 retweets 35 likes
Reply Retweet 82

Guess not.

Remember when Spurrier left USCjr mid season to help them get a jump start on finding a new coach? Now all these coaches are getting snatched up and they're sitting around with their dicks in their hands.

Uhh Henry didn't even get 100 yds against Charleston Southern because he was pulled so fast.

Must be nice to pad 90 or so yards and 2 TDs and get to rest for half the game, is what I'm saying.

Stanford's used to that.

Gerhardt finishing behind Ingram in '09 and Luck behind RGIII in '11. In both cases, the Stanford players were better.

Stanford can't have Heisman-winning players, it'd just be too weird.

Anyway I haven't been as impressed with Henry as I have with McCaffrey. In general I'm more impressed with multi-talented players though.

By the way, McCaffrey broke 200 multi-purpose yards in a game NINE times this year. He was bringing it, week-in week-out.

In a related note, Pac-12 Networks put out their "All-Century" Pac-12 team. Each position has 5 players. Here's the Running Backs:
Running Backs

Marcus Allen, USC

OJ Simpson, USC

Charles White, USC

Reggie Bush, USC

Mike Garrett, USC

Just reminded me of that guy wondering if USC had any good running backs, lol.

ryseing

QHD5zQo.gifv

Goddamn it imgur. It's the Pitbull gif with Richt's head.

What's that clown Uncle Luke up to?

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...er-campbell-uncle-luke-coach-miami-hurricanes

Required reading for anyone interested in Miami football.

Top Bottom