• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colorblind Gaming

GhaleonEB

I'm glad someone made this post. There's some games I can't buy because of this. A lot of icons in Oblivion are worthless to me because they are coded red vs green.

Tarazet

I'm not even colorblind, but Bust-A-Move 4 on GBC is unplayable because I can't distinguish between certain colors - and this is on a backlit GBA SP.

I'm only very slightly colorblind here and there, but the difference between yellow and green in some puzzle games is enough to give me trouble. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo is especially difficult with that. I'm glad the Puyo games have differentiated pieces so you can tell them apart by more than color.

Ranger X

sonarrat said:
I'm not even colorblind, but Bust-A-Move 4 on GBC is unplayable because I can't distinguish between certain colors - and this is on a backlit GBA SP.

Well, this is a sign you mave be colorblind or that you have some type of colorblindness (if that word exist at all)

Tarazet

Ranger X said:
Well, this is a sign you mave be colorblind or that you have some type of colorblindness (if that word exist at all)

I'm definitely not colorblind. It's like, two shades of brown that are so close that they're indistinguishable, and the patterns are also too similar.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
you think that's rough, try being everything blind and playing mario. to replicate this experience, try playing the original GBA in a moderately lit room.

I think I remember that game being marked down in reviews for the similarity of some of its pieces, so he might not have a physical problem.

Unless I'm thinking of another game.

Kabouter

jiji said:
I'm only very slightly colorblind here and there, but the difference between yellow and green in some puzzle games is enough to give me trouble. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo is especially difficult with that. I'm glad the Puyo games have differentiated pieces so you can tell them apart by more than color.

Yep, I have the same thing, I'm part colourblind just like my grandfather.
I can't distinguish between minor colour differences. Hexic is unplayable without the symbols on.

Oh and I can see the 25 clearly and the 56 if I look closely.
The others I don't see a number in.

scarybore

salva said:
**** the color blind

I can kind of see it now that you have told me providing I look real hard but otherwise I would not have a ****ing clue what it says.

Hexic is unplayable without the symbols on.

Yeah, I hate Hexic and all but appreciate the effort made it trying to make it playable to the colour blind. Shame all the effort goes to shit once a bomb pops up :( Perhaps it's a reason I hate many puzzle games by default, many seem to be colour based.

I always used to go down the wrong telepipe in PSO, and on the Dreamcast thats a lot of loading having to go back up and down to get in the right one :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
vib3.jpg

TO THE RESCUE !

mollipen

If colors are vitaly important to a game, then that game should be made so that the colors can be reconfigured according to the player's choice. There really is no good excuse for not doing this, especially in things like puzzle games, where it would be super-easy to allow for changing the color of the pieces. I've got a friend who is colorblind (the red/green thing), and he has problems all the time with puzzle games.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
This is kind of related: is there anything that lets blind people play games more easily? Like a braille monitor or something to play turn-based strategy games?

EDIT: Actually that sounds implausible

koam

sonarrat said:
I'm definitely not colorblind. It's like, two shades of brown that are so close that they're indistinguishable, and the patterns are also too similar.

There's no brown in the game, you're colorblind, sorry. :p

unifin

I remember reading in my local newspaper about a boy who is blind managing to play some video games by running into things until he died, memorizing, and repeating the process ad nauseam.

Apparently he also played fighting games based on sound, which is pretty cool.

Neo Child

Banned
Do you want a game that can satisfy even a blind persons needs?

Sound Voyager.

^Double posted for awesomeness apparently.

GhaleonEB

M_A_C said:
Stuff like that is why I failed to get into the military after college. I was sailing along the tests, then we hit the dot test to check for color blindness. I got something like three out of twenty-one. I can't see squat in that one.

For colorblind people, there is only 1 Pokemon game.

edit: Sonarrat, I agree with there being shitty, near indistinguishable colors in GBC Bust-a-Move 4, but, as mentioned earlier... there's no brown. That really sounds like colorblindness.

I actually own that T-shirt :p No offence to the colour-blind, though, I'm just a sucker for irony, and that's about as ironic as it gets.

jett

D-Member
Deathcraze said:
God damn, it looks that obvious to peeps who can see it? All I could see were some of the big dots around the U and the T. I need a eye transplant :(

:lol No, it doesn't look exactly like that to the non-color blind people. :p But it is pretty readable anyway.

joshschw

GhaleonEB said:
Stuff like that is why I failed to get into the military after college. I was sailing along the tests, then we hit the dot test to check for color blindness. I got something like three out of twenty-one. I can't see squat in that one.

so you can't see reds properly?

I've never really thought about this at all, it must make everything look so different...

GhaleonEB

joshschw said:
so you can't see reds properly?

I've never really thought about this at all, it must make everything look so different...
I'm red/green colorblind. I can see really intense red and really bright green, but anything in the middle blurs together. So pinks, greens, greys and browns all mix together. There's lots of stuff around that I can't make a color determination on. Combat fatigues bug the hell out of me since I can't tell what ANY of the colors on it are, they are just shades of the same thing. I'm told they are a mix of green/grey/brown.

I'm not colorblind (except when it comes to race - Colbert FTW!), but there's a skin in Lumines that uses red and green blocks, and I swear that I go cross-eyed after about 2 minutes of playing that level.

unifin

Ferrarisimo said:
I'm not colorblind (except when it comes to race - Colbert FTW!), but there's a skin in Lumines that uses red and green blocks, and I swear that I go cross-eyed after about 2 minutes of playing that level.

Red and Green are complementary colors in the spectrum, and can be rather jarring to look at after a while.

Raw64life

I'm color blind, but not with red/green like most people. I can't tell the difference between dark blue/purple...

zoop.jpg

...I bought this game when I was like 8 and it took me forever to figure out that I suck at it because I'm colorblind.

koam

Man, I thought I was colorblind for a second because i was visiting the page on wikipedia and couldn't tell what the third number was. Turns out it was just the angle i was looking at my laptop's screen at. When I tilted my head evenly i saw it with no problems.

TestNothingGamma165.png
TestProGamma165.png
TestTriGamma165.png
Who cares, you're colorblind! .. it's 56

Grayman

my friend plays asheron's call(an mmo) fine while colour blind. He just has to ask people what colour armor he picks up is and if it matches. I am not sure what he does for colour coded items, i think he memorizes the names because the colour code ingame isn't neccessary, was just to make it easier/faster for colourly abled people.

unifin said:
Red and Green are complementary colors in the spectrum, and can be rather jarring to look at after a while.
this is why we only have christmas for part of the year

Top Bottom