• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gloomhaven Console Review

devilNprada

cP28V6v.jpg

I see no threads about Gloomhaven...

Quadruple dipped (Board Game, Table Top Simulator, PC and now PS5)

The console version though I have only played a few training campaigns thus far, is really clunky.
They did not port the game well from PC at all.

I was really looking forward to the Switch version, but the PS5 version controls are so clunky I may not bite.

I love the PC version on the laptop...
Maybe some of you disagree?

Wildebeest

According to steam reviews, they have broken the PC version along the way. I remember some people being very enthusiastic about this when it first released, but it wasn't for me and is probably the sort of thing that only really works well with friends, probably best in person with the physical board game.

Curious, but will wait for it on sale. The board game always sounded so fascinating, but looked insanely intimidating as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was going to get gloomhaven in PC since I got a new laptop. I see it goes on sale for about $30 cdn.

It’s no good and broken?

I also play PC board games solo with or against AI. No good single player?

Last edited:
I've never played the table top but was intrigued by the PC version when it released. Have tried to play a couple times now but can't even beat the first mission. I did all of the tutorials and still didn't help. Feels incredibly overwhelming.

Wildebeest

I was going to get gloomhaven in PC since I got a new laptop. I see it goes on sale for about $30 cdn.

It’s no good and broken?

I also play PC board games solo with or against AI. No good single player?
This is a social game, but if you are used to playing board games solitaire, then there is nothing stopping you. Other than the fact that the game seems to have one million new bugs now because the people hired to do the console port trashed the PC version just to annoy the small active PC community.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Incredible game with VERY satisfying combat-puzzle-solving. There was nothing "broken" about the game for me on the PC. The only thing I had to understand was that party size is the difficulty level - when you start out you shouldn't be taking a full party when learning the ropes. That will lead to frustration and - like me - bouncing off the game because you criticize the difficulty curve. Full parties are only for when you've got adventurers that are leveled up to handle the challenge of playing with a full party.

. . .that said, fuck playing this on a controller. Perfect "one-hand" tactical RPG with a mouse.

devilNprada

Incredible game with VERY satisfying combat-puzzle-solving. There was nothing "broken" about the game for me on the PC. The only thing I had to understand was that party size is the difficulty level - when you start out you shouldn't be taking a full party when learning the ropes. That will lead to frustration and - like me - bouncing off the game because you criticize the difficulty curve. Full parties are only for when you've got adventurers that are leveled up to handle the challenge of playing with a full party.

. . .that said, fuck playing this on a controller. Perfect "one-hand" tactical RPG with a mouse.
I totally agree with this..
The controller is pretty bad, but it could be good if done properly.

I enjoyed games like Panzer general, Civ6, magic the gathering with a fast scrolling through units controller.
I also like a touch screen like the surface with these type of games.
IMO a hand held with a controller like the Switch or Steam Deck with a touch screen would be the optimum way to play.
One hand mouse is great too, but hard to play in bed - lol.

Top Bottom