• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis Games on PS5 and Xbox

MrMephistoX

Hey GAF let’s talk about the state of Tennis Games.

Basically everyone says Tennis games have sucked since Virtua Tennis and Top Spin 4 and that the offerings currently out AO Tennis 2, Tennis World Tour 2 and Matchpoint all suck in some way. AO2 and TW2 are both insanely cheap right now for $7 on Xbox and are on PS Plus so I’m curious if anyone else has taken the plunge on these games or has given up?

Personally I’m ultra ultra casual about the sport so I’ve enjoyed my time with TWT2 the most it’s gotten a next gen patch with ray tracing and visually looks miles ahead of AO2 and you can actually run whereas AO2 is more like Wii Sports with auto movement.

The interwebs have told me I should gouge my eyes out rather than subject myself to modern Tennis games and to buy a PS3 and Virtua Tennis or Top Spin…but you know what they seem fine to me for a $7 investment that I’ll play online with my dad on his new Xbox.

If anyone sucks at Tennis and wants to play online hit me up my XboxID is the same as my GAF name.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
For what it's worth, I enjoyed my time with the matchpoint demo.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

You can play and enjoy Table Tennis via BC. It remains extraordinarily addictive today.

Since Table Tennis and Top Spin 4, tennis games have fallen off the cliff. Sometimes I wonder why TakeTwo doesn't see a remake or remaster of those two games as feasible simply by adapting the graphics to the present day (although in fact they still look fantastic).

The playability and gameplay is still extraordinary and you wouldn't have to waste much dev time in that section....

Unfortunately it is not just a matter of tennis games, all sports games are in free fall and innovation and the search for realism and simulation is non-existent today.

Last edited:

Roberts

For what it's worth, I enjoyed my time with the matchpoint demo.

It is clearly not for everyone, but I enjoyed that the control scheme is different from any other tennis game I have played so far. A bit more complicated at first but it gives you way more control over where exactly you want the ball to go.

RAIDEN1

It goes to show the state of play in the world of games today: No decent arcade racers in the vein of Ridge Racer and Burnout, no decent competition to EA in the world of football....and no tennis game that has been better than the 2011 entry of Top Spin Tennis 4....

MrMephistoX

AO2 was decent, but I couldn’t stop thinking of Top Spin 4.

It’s probably the best you are going to get this gen.
I guess the thing that turned me off on AO2 was the actual tennis with auto run enabled it felt like Wii Sports to me and the production value is terrible…that said I’ve heard the career mode is good and again for $7 it’s affordable to pick which one you like between that and Tennis World Tour 2…rumor has it Top Spin 5 could be coming. Also shout out to PS5 Hot Shots Tennis holds the fuck up I just tried it and it’s probably my favorite. Too bad Top Spin and Vrirtua Tennis aren’t BC on either console.

Jason Sheirer

Last edited:

SolarFry

Tennis at least has a few terrible to mediocre games. Volleyball on the other hand is truly dead. There used to be so many Tennis and Volleyball games for the ps2/3. It was the golden age. Now it's all poop.

MrMephistoX

Might have been overly harsh on AO 2…I discovered today that there’s a menu slider for the auto run so I’m liking it a lot more now.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Eh, not great for multiplayer though, and it's hard to be motivated for a sports game sometimes these days unless you have friends over who are into it.
Depends on the game, I'd say.

I love cricket, and I've been playing in VR pretty much regularly for many months. Been playing cricket video games for years, but nothing even comes close to this VR experience.

Been also playing table tennis in VR single-player and vs multiplayer. It almost never feels old to me.

MrMephistoX

Eh, not great for multiplayer though, and it's hard to be motivated for a sports game sometimes these days unless you have friends over who are into it.
True only reason I am looking into it is because we got my elderly dad an Xbox and it’s hard to beat the basic fun of 1:1 multiplayer tennis since the beginning of the entire video game industry with Pong.

CamHostage

Depends on the game, I'd say.

I love cricket, and I've been playing in VR pretty much regularly for many months. Been playing cricket video games for years, but nothing even comes close to this VR experience.

Been also playing table tennis in VR single-player and vs multiplayer. It almost never feels old to me.

Whoops, didn't end up writing the second half of my thought, which was...

But yeah, other than MP being tough to coordinate, VR is the new way to play (and buy) games in genres you haven't been into for a while. AAA gaming and extended content has eaten up too much interest level in the market, and they're just not making mid-scale games anymore like they used to, but VR is still an emerging and open market. It used to be that downloadable games were where all the arcade-style and target shooters and sports and other genres took refuge when AAA/AAAA/GAAS sucked up all the oxygen in gaming, but even on Steam and PSN/XBL/ESHOP, that stuff can be hard to find because buyers are entrenched in their lanes; VR gamers still indulge in different genre tastes.​

Last edited:

Tomma19

Neo Member
2024 could be a big year for tennis gaming. The official game of the ATP & WTA is releasing at the top of the year and then the return of Top Spin should be happening in the summer.

MrMephistoX

2024 could be a big year for tennis gaming. The official game of the ATP & WTA is releasing at the top of the year and then the return of Top Spin should be happening in the summer.
Where are you seeing new Top Spin info? I linked a somewhat old rumor above.

AndrewRyan

VR is the absolute best way to play sports games. Nothing else can even come close.
Bought the vive racket accessory and Tracker primarily for this game and headset is wireless. When standing on the 'court' twirling the 'racket' while waiting for a serve it feels 100% real. It's wild. Even more immersive than VR normally, probably cause I've spent so much time on actual courts. It's like my mind feels comfortable and just accepts it immediately.

You feel like you're there, on the court. It looks and sounds exactly right (if you played in stadiums, lol). Muscle memory kicks in and I just naturally start bouncing in place and even reach down to straighten my 'strings' between points. Ended up smashing a lamp and cutting my foot on the glass, lol. Worth it.

NT80

Speak of the Devil

It' about time though I was never that keen on what I played of Top Spin. The way it would take auto control of your player's movement as you got close to the ball was really off putting. Virtua Tennis 2 and Smash Court 2 are the two stand outs for me.

Why did tennis games disappear during the last gen? I thought tennis was booming during the Federer/Nadal rivalry and yet tennis games fell away dramatically post PS3/360.

RAIDEN1

It' about time though I was never that keen on what I played of Top Spin. The way it would take auto control of your player's movement as you got close to the ball was really off putting. Virtua Tennis 2 and Smash Court 2 are the two stand outs for me.

Why did tennis games disappear during the last gen? I thought tennis was booming during the Federer/Nadal rivalry and yet tennis games fell away dramatically post PS3/360.
Well it's happening now, apart from EA/FIFA there is no other player on the football pitch, Konami threw in the towel with PES after the 2021 update, even arcade racers in the vein of Burnout, Ridge, Motorstorm are nowhere to be seen this generation, personally I liked Top Spin tennis 4 more than I thought I would, great level of atmosphere, good variety of courts....for me to this day it is the definitiver tennis game....the pressure is on now for this 2k 25 version..to be HALF as good as that...

intbal

The best tennis game I've ever played.

fPirCFS.jpg

Certinty

Well that came out of absolutely nowhere.

They better keep Top Spin 4’s gameplay but add in the missing stuff from 2 and 3 and fix the issues with how OP a few things were.

That’s all they need to do and they’ll have by far the best tennis game ever made.

bender

What time is it?
Well that came out of absolutely nowhere.

They better keep Top Spin 4’s gameplay but add in the missing stuff from 2 and 3 and fix the issues with how OP a few things were.

That’s all they need to do and they’ll have by far the best tennis game ever made.

They'll be adding things for sure.

118aae303f742f537ad73f330530344600024400-1280x720.png

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

New preview for Top Spin 5 is out: looks solid gameplay wise.

It has to be solid, because it is the only player in the game, all other previous tennis games before this on this generation of consoles have been nowhere near as good as Top Spin

Valedix

New preview for Top Spin 5 is out: looks solid gameplay wise.

At least the gameplay makes up for the ps2 graphics lol

MrMephistoX

It’s out :)

Top Bottom