• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley |OT|

corrosivefrost said:
I did.

I'm not liking the gameplay at all. And I'm so sick of the girl screaming at me about my health because the side scrolling gun sections are insane.

FateBreaker -- does the game get better after the 3 Nanoc episodes? I've forced my way through 2... I really hate how easy and simple the melee is vs how balls hard/unforgiving the shooting is... I can only take a level or so at a time.

It gets WORSE. The next world (the Silver Age) is absolutely awful, and nearly made me put the game down for good.

I just finished the first level of the last world (Manga), and while it's not as bad, it's still not really all that better than Nanoc.

I still suggest anybody interested in this game justy watch a playthrough on YouTube when one is available (there may be one now; I haven't looked). You'd miss out on absolutely nothing, as the gameplay is average at best; it's the presentation and humour that make Comic Jumper.

Oh, I just got to the manga world, didn't realise it was the last one. Funny stuff but the black and white does make seeing incoming projectiles a bit harder. And yeah, silver age really dragged on.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
VinZuku said:
If The Adventures of Bayou Billy, Gunstar Heroes and Earthworm Jim had a love child Comic Jumper would be it. I love this game.
Mixing Bayou Billy into a game would be like dropping a turd into a pot of chili.

burgerdog

The trex fight was so fucking stupid. Why did it have so much health and no checkpoints? I had to leave and I pressed start to quit and bam, if you quit you lose alll level progress. So I would lose about 1 hour of gameplay. I can see that the dev put a ton of love into the game, but the length of the levels coupled with the insane amount of hp that enemies have make the game not fun.

fernoca

Air Zombie Meat said:
The game actually does remind me of Earthworm Jim a lot. Thats both a good and a bad thing.
Yeah, I just got Earthworm Jim HD today and it feels similar, heck I'm still having trouble when I try to use teh Right Analog Stick to aim with Jim. :lol

Surprised at some of the negativity over the game.

Tried the demo out yesterday and bought it as soon as I'd finished the level. Played through the whole game with my kids watching in 2 sittings. We had several belly laughs (with Dad getting a few more jokes than the kids) and all in all enjoyed the game immensely.

As for difficulty, I found it pretty fun/easy with the exception of some (more than a few) annoying boss fights. But it can't be that hard if I got through to the end.

I really had fun with game and look forward to some DLC hopefully, perhaps with additional issues in different genres.

Man, there's so many "cut from the game for time reasons" things in the unlockables.

Winkelmeyer was supposed to have his own comic and be a main antagonist. Seems like it might have had something to do with him transforming his orderlies into Bebop and Rocksteady looking human/animal hybrids. The shopkeeper at your base was then supposed to be a guy from Big Science who had half his face burnt off during Splosion Man's escape...

Brad was planned to have his own comic (but looks like that was more of a design choice than a time choice).

Horror, western, Sin City themed comics.

Concepts of a very weird multiplayer co-op where the 2nd player was "drawn in".

Tigersauruses in the Nanoc world were supposed to be a single miniboss that stalked you through the level instead of bullet soaking enemies that just sorta jumped up.

Concept showing Smiley able to throw his head as a weapon/puzzle solving device. With possibly Star moving up to the head hole to control the body.

Extra enemies and sequences like suits of armor and mummy enemies in the museum, a fight on the Bradcoptor, a bunch of enemies that were scrapped at "concept stage" including a samurai rabbit that had a giant talking carrot as a sword...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Finished the game and after leveling up, it was a lot more fun. Unfortunately there's still some grindy parts but thankfully they fill it with hilarious banter between Captain Smiley and Star.

I was hoping to get the last achievement for this game but apparently it's bugged right now.

Also, because this is my first experience with Twisted Pixel and I had a good time, but also because of this thread, I'm currently downloading Splosion Man. I've heard it's hard, but hopefully not Trials HD hard :D

Saerk

I bought this game because I liked the humor, but I can't recommend it. The dialog, style, and overall presentation are great. The gameplay is quite poor. I'll beat the game just to unlock the smiley face, but overall I regret the purchase.

Splosion Man was much better.

ok, i'm with you guys now... once you get halfway through the barbarian levels they just start taking the piss, those tigersaurs take too long to kill, and they keep throwing them at you... the difficulty is cheap, i'd prefer hard platforming rather than bullet sponge enemies that are timed to attack you at the same time, those birds are a pain in the arse!
3 levels of that stuff, that was painful.

leveling up might help, but you have to play through it like this 'till you have the cash

it feels like twisted pixel put a lot more effort into presentation than level design/gameplay

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Here's a hint: When you first start playing, just take your cash and buy all the bonus stuff, especially the stuff at the bottom of the list. Every piece you buy gives you a bonus percent on the cash you earn on the money you earn from playing a level. You will level up fast. Just re-run the first couple of levels and you will be good to go.

They apparently balanced the levels for this which makes everything hard at the beginning which was a mistake imo.

Edit: With the Tigersaurs, your slide and hanging are your friend.

RedFalcon

Neo Member
Saerk said:
I bought this game because I liked the humor, but I can't recommend it. The dialog, style, and overall presentation are great. The gameplay is quite poor. I'll beat the game just to unlock the smiley face, but overall I regret the purchase.

Splosion Man was much better.
Oh, man. Say it ain't so. I played the demo and loved it. Does it really take that bad a nosedive?

RedFalcon said:
Oh, man. Say it ain't so. I played the demo and loved it. Does it really take that bad a nosedive?

It doesn't really take a "nosedive" but it doesn't really change much at all from what you do in the first level, just changes where you do it and how much energy the bad guys have.

Mike M

Nick N
So conflicted... I *loved* the demo, but not really because of the gameplay. I didn't hate it, but the addition of a duck and reduction of enemy HP would have made it much better. I never really got bored of it, but I imagine not much will change over the course of the game outside of what all the cannon fodder looks like, which may over stay its welcome with me.

Really want more of the banter though... And the inclusion of the live action footage was inspired...

jizzlobber said:
ok, i'm going to replay the first level 'till my stats are up before continuing... I want to enjoy this game.

Do the challenges instead, since they're one hit you die, they basically train you in how to better avoid the cheap enemy patterns. And even when you fail you get good money.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
jizzlobber said:
ok, i'm going to replay the first level 'till my stats are up before continuing... I want to enjoy this game.
May be too late, but I definitely wouldn't recommend doing the very first level over again.
You have to sit through the FMV every single time

doing the challenges, you do get some pretty good coin, stats are already way better.
gonna get them right up before continuing

Mdk7

Beat it yesterday and got all the achievements (save for the last bugged one).
I REALLY enjoyed it, despite the negative impression i had at E3.
It's not that the gameplay is that good (especially if you compare it to the furious action of Sin & Punishment...), but the whole package and the incredible humor just make it an amazing, over the top experience.
Surely Splosion Man was a better game overall, but i had A LOT of fun with Smiley and the Star, so i can't complain...

By looking at the kick ass extra section you can clearly see that lots of rad stuff was cut and didn't make it to the final version, which is a little sad cause the game could have been even more awesome.

nli10

Ben2749 said:
Man, fuck the haters; this game is awesome. I'll concede that enemies take too many hits in the shooting segments, and the gameplay isn't as tight as Splosion Man, but the humour, presentation, and variety make up for it.

The song that plays when you're looking at your stats is hilarious.

I was pretty surprised to heard words like "douche" and "turd"; I guess Twisted Pixel aren't concerned about making the game kid-friendly.

Is that a joke? Those are the kind of swears that kids used in the 90s!

The gameplay is loose and feels unsatisfying, the enemy placement and level design is all about looks and humour but is very repetitive. Why do I fight a dinosaur, and then immediately fight another identical dinosaur on the same screen? Nothing is fully explained, it never really feels like I'm making an impact with the shooting or sliding and only the slowed down one button melee sections have any weight. And those are so one dimensional they could be in a NES game.

The controls in the 'Operation Wolf' light-gun style sections are awful, especially after playing Wii games.

The writing, humour and presentation is the best of any XBL game I've seen. The unlockables will piss me off as you have to buy all 160 art works individually and then go somewhere else to view them - why not have a bulk buy option!!

Overall I'm glad I bought this, but The Maw is the best Playstation Era Style platformer I have EVER played, and this is merely an average scrolly game with good graphics (but muddled - pipes especially) and excellent presentation.

It feels like the ideas department have done a fantastic job but then no one actually wanted to sit down and get on with the hard work of making their ideas shine in game so that we could experience the fun that they did.

Betting there will be extra comics as DLC, so some scope for improvements and patches.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finished the game. All in all, I think it's worth the money. The humour more than carries the gameplay. The gameplay isn't awful though, it's just kinda bland. Other than the far-too-long museum level, the pacing is basically brisk and they mix up the gameplay between melee sections, bosses, contra-style sections, and Sin-and-Punishment style running rail shooter sections. I never felt bored while playing.

I do think the game balance is broken a little bit. You're definitely intended to replay the first few levels or challenges to get money to unlock the unlockables (every unlockable you buy increases the money you get in levels, which in turn is used to unlock more and upgrade your character). If you've unlocked, say, 75% of the unlockables, you can just play through the game pretty organically and make more than enough money to max out Smiley by the 2/3rds mark. The enemies are still kinda bullet spongey, of course, but this is definitely the intended way for people to play the game and they don't exactly make that clear to you while you're playing.

The game would have been significantly better served by having two levels per comic and extra comics.

It's without a doubt the weakest of the three Twisted Pixel games, but I still think it's worth the purchase. I assume that the amazing array of unlockables and really cool uses of technology (like blending live action video with the game) will carry forward in future TP titles, which I also hope will be better games.

nli10

My full opinion on having finished the game - probably mild spoilers.

In summary? Beautifully presented shite. I'm enjoying my current flu virus more than I enjoyed this game.

My review from True achievements said:
There is a lot to be said for looking pretty. It gets you noticed and sometimes that's enough to impress people. Comic Jumper is very pretty, it's also quite a good concept - bad comic book hero has to schlep as a guest star to earn money to reboot his franchise. In this instance though the demo shows you everything the game has to offer, and is in fact far more polished than the rest of the title.

There really isn't much love here when it comes to gameplay. The 'old school' vibe is present, but none of the care and attention. The gameplay is repetitive without ever being inventive. If you didn't live through the 8-bit era of 20 years ago you could be forgiven for thinking that this is how it was back then, but on the whole it wasn't. Developers took care over the smallest details of enemy placement and when you got hit you knew it was your fault and not just the fuzzy gameplay that you have in Comic Jumper.

There is no feedback to the player - often (esp comic 3) you are getting hit without any clear message that it is happening. Also you can't really tell that you are causing damage to the enemies. There is no audio clue, or rumble to suggest these, just the muddy visuals.

The muddy visual problem crops up with the pipes in comic 1, where it isn't clear that you can grip onto these, and in some case you can't even see the pipes.

Essentially you hold down the right trigger and spend the game pointing at the bad guys with the left stick. The game even includes an auto aim to help. I'm not sure who thought this was fun.

Melee sections are essentially one button combat, one button defence - even the Turtles arcade machine added a bit of variety. You can buy a melee power up that does absolutely nothing to change this.

The light gun sections have some of the worst reticule control of any game I have seen. I've played PS2 versions of light-gun games that had snappier control, and that was 10 years ago. Now the Wii has put quality light gun games in our homes it's worth the dev playing a few of those and stealing the play style if not the responsiveness.

You get a super Y button power attack that the game then penalises you for using. As far as I know it's always the same animation, but I only ever used it twice as it seemed to do nothing anyway. Maybe it's to speed up the monotonous bosses.

The sound-bites are funny, but tied to scripted events so that you get very sick of the ones for loosing health and dying. Should have at least varied these by comic. On the whole the presentation and the story is great, but it's let down by a terrible game.

The enemy placement is poor, there is no thought to what makes a good challenge. Nothing that involves the regular grunt enemies is memorable.

The bosses are essentially either the one in a frame where you shoot something in the centre, or the one where something flies around and you have to avoid the deadly lines. There is one unique boss near to the end. All have a giant number for you to whittle down by pointing at the boss and holding down the trigger. All are tedious, and most are repeated 2 or 3 times throughout the game. At least the developers didn't decide to add a boss rush mode at the end.

The RPG power up system adds nothing to the game, replaying the first level with a fully powered captain really doesn't change much. If this had been worked into the level structure then finishing a comic powered you up making earlier comics easier. This would have enabled the devs to fix the difficulty problems and guarantee a balanced game.

I like that buying the extras gives you bonus money. Unfortunately this breaks the high score tables as only those with 325% bonus will do well. Also whoever thought that buying 160 pieces of concept art one at a time, requiring 3 button presses and an animation, was a good idea should be punched hard. A bulk buy option where you buy a set value or number would have been better.

The repetition is mind boggling - all levels have the same things happen but with different sprites. Oh look - the flying things are attacking me while the round things roll across the bottom of the screen - on every single level. Sometimes you fight the same identical mini boss twice in a row. there are levels on the 3rd comic that feel identical but have different backgrounds.

There are two levels that are COMPLETELY IDENTICAL except that 2nd time around the mid level boss is at the end and is replaced with the games most interesting (and only unique) boss fight. Again, they spent time and effort on this boss, but forgot about the rest. Surely the difficulty and flow of the level should now be different due to the power ups and story development? No? Oh - ok...

The game is hard, but lacks challenge. Your deaths are always due to getting bored and trying to rush the level. Due to the poor design taking it slowly and only letting one or two enemies appear is the tactically best option which is probably why they added par times for the levels.

I loved the Maw - LOVED it. It's the best 3d PS one style game I've played. It filled me with hope for the developers future titles. This is just a big bag of trash. It's like they employed 100% of people that knew how to draw comic book style and nobody who knew how to make games, or had any experience of the notion of fun. The Q&A team got rid of all the bugs as it is a glitch free experience - it's just a shame none of them had the balls to tell the devs that the game wasn't any fun at all.

This is only for die-hard comic book fans who enjoy skill-less repetition. I think most people would be bored even watching a You Tube walk through of this titles levels and should stick to just the cut-scenes and first appearance of each boss.

The only other reviews on here are 4 or 5 star reviews, mainly talking about the start of the game and only hinting about it's flaws. Younger gamers may enjoy this title as while it feels hard due to the frequent deaths absolutely anyone can finish it. Also the collectibles aspect may encourage fans of Splosion Man to buy it for the extra 2 levels (bought for 5,000 money in the shop).

This is the worst XBL title that I have paid money for and if there was some way of getting a refund I would. I'm going to get the rubber band achievement for leaving the game running while firing shots (another example of not understanding what fun is) and then delete the stupidly large 2GB mess from my hard drive even though I don't need the space.

1 star represents the good presentation and ideas that the team had, maybe someday this will get remade with content that matches those aspirations and become worth playing. At the moment if someone offers you this for free turn it down.

I will have to go back and replay MAW just to prove to myself that the developers aren't a bunch of talentless time wasters. Maybe they were forced to finish to an early deadline and had the artwork but none of the gameplay?

Denzar

OHGOD

Just finished it. Sure gameplay is shallow and very mediocre but everyhting else was fucking amazing.

I laughed out loud several times, and it's the first game that has made me do that.

Great characters too and the movie references were so awesome.

Great job Twisted Pixel! Now, for your next game, focus on gameplay a little more.

Mzo

This is one of the worst games ever wrapped around some of the most awesome I have ever seen.

Just imagine if it had been good. What a complete waste of potential.

PS - boom goes my ringtone boom boom goes my phone

Top Bottom