• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic questions for Deadpool fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadpool%2027-10.jpg

What issue is this from? Is Deadpool always this good? Any good collections out there about him? Thanks for your time.

Cool...the "shoryuken" is what does it for me. :lol I heard there's no collections of him around, no books at all. I hope that's not true, but no matter...I'll get the back issues then.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I love Deadpool. :lol Is the series dead now?

edit: Biff, there are some trades available, I have one at home. You just have to hunt around.

Thank you.

One more question...is the similarity between Deadpool and Deathstroke intentional? I grew up reading about Slade Wilson fighting the Teen Titans. Deadpool looks like Deathstroke and his name is Wilson too...is he a big rip off? I don't care if he is, that's still one of the funnier panels I've read in awhile.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
bishoptl said:
I love Deadpool. :lol Is the series dead now?

:lol I don't remember that issue must have missed it...

Yes it is... but please read the Cable/Deadpool series... you still get some good stuff from Deadpool in it.

FnordChan

frolet said:
So who wins that fight?

Even if he loses, Deadpool always wins.

There were a couple of Deadpool mini-series from the early 90s that are dull and should be avoided. For wacky Deadpool hijinx, you want to start with the 1997 solo series, which ranged from pretty amusing to freakin' phenomenal. Joe Kelly's run at the beginning of the series is tops, Christopher Priest's run starts around #34 (and while Priest is generally excellent, Deadpool ain't his best work; that said, the Thor issue is truth and beauty), Palmiotti's run is probably the low point (starting around #46), and Gail Simone provides a glorious finale with issues #65-69.

At that point the title became Agent X, Gail Simone continued to be awesome, it was cancelled, there were fill-ins, Evan Dorkin showed up to the party to ressurect his Fight Man gag, and then Simone returned to wrap it all up with issue 14.

And there ya go. No, wait - less talking, more Deadpool:

23043939054.51.GIF

23043939054.65.GIF

There, that's much better.

FnordChan

Cable and Deadpool.

Rob Liefeld's greatest creative moments....

Too bad he himself can't consistently draw characters he created the same way throughout a single comic...Hell he can't draw them the same way on the same page usually :-(

(Flip through any Rob drawn comic and you'll see what I mean)

Fight Man? That's awesome.

I avoided Deadpool as a Deathstroke clone* and Liefield creation for a long time, now I may have to go back and get some of those.

* Yeah, it's intentional. He's a regenerating mercenary product of the military scientists named Wade Wilson. That's pretty close to to a story of a certain Slade Wilson, no?

Matlock

Banned
RECOMMENDED DEADPOOL READING

Deadpool #0 (Wizard pack-in)
Deadpool #39 (Best fuckin' issue ever)
Deadpool #65-69 (Not the best, but a decent ending. Gail Simone then pulled a buncha bullshit with Agent X, so we'll ignore that)

I really enjoyed the Deadpool series with the original writer (for the ongoing series, not the couple limited series that were around before it). I can't remember who the writer was, but I remember his run ended with Deadpool becoming some kind of galactic hero or something. It was a cool run of about 36 issues, I think.

After the original writer left, I remember reading the book for a couple more issues and being horribly dissapointed. So I dropped it. I was surprised DP wasn't cancelled seeing how during the original writer's run it was threatened to be cancelled a couple times...

I started reading Cable and Deadpool, and while it has its moments, it pales compared to the original run in my opinon. I doubt I will be picking this comic up much longer....

...the thing is it has been years since I read the original run on Deadpool, so I have no idea if I just have some kind of nostalgia going on which is affecting my opinion of it (and the dissapointment of later runs on the comic), or if the quality has remained the same (or improved!) for DP and my tastes have just changed to where I no longer enjoy it.

I guess the only answer is to go back and read that original run....

I went to the comic shop on 8th and 6th ave and they ddi not have shit on Deadpool. Their back issues were scarce, and no book sets. I'm going to check out the st marks shop later, I hear good things about it. Thanks for all the info/recommendations, fellahs.

Coming this May from Marvel Comics...

CABLE/DEADPOOL #15

Written by Fabian Nicieza
Pencils & Cover by Patrick Zircher

"ENEMA OF THE STATE" Part 1 (of 3)
Deadpool is brainwashed by the mysterious group known as THE BLACK BOX to become a mindless assassin (which, honestly, didn't take much washing). So Deadpool does what comes naturally to him -- the OPPOSITE of what's expected! But hey, where's CABLE? And what are CANNONBALL and SIRYN doing in the book?
32 PGS./Marvel PSR …$2.99
It's a rip on a recent Wolverine storyline, right down to the cover art. :lol

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Spike Spiegel said:
Coming this May from Marvel Comics...

It's a rip on a recent Wolverine storyline, right down to the cover art. :lol

:lol that's gonna be great... consider the running dialogue going on inside wolverine's head during the just ended story arc... and consider the normal running dialogue for deadpool... this outta be hilarious!

I refuse to comment on that EA Marvel comic which will tie in to the upcoming game....

Asbel

IIRC, Deadpool guts Wolverine in Wolverine's comic and Wolverine guts him back in Deadpool's comic in the same month so it's even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom