• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setre

What's the difference between Batman and Detective Comics?

Batman is supposed to focus on the superhero and beating up super-villain aspect of, well, Batman. Detective Comics is supposed to focus on Batman being a detective and overall more gritty. Batman & Robin focuses on the relationship between the two of them, in and out of costume. The Dark Knight focuses on pure action.

What's the difference between Batman and Detective Comics?

If you want to read 'Tec, pick up Snyder's revelatory run from last year, The Black Mirror.

black_mirror_hc.jpg

Owzers

That snyder detective black mirror hardcover is full of goodness.

Also, i'm intrigued and scared by that linked Sullivan's Sluggers' kickstarter project. I've never checked out the kickstarter stuff too much, but maybe this will be my first try...maybe.

Owzers

I didn't even know that the Sullivan's Sluggers kickstarter author was the guy who wrote Gladstone's School for Conquerors. Now i'm even more tempted....

And i didn't know it was by the Gladstone's writer because apparently i don't bother reading anything and it says his other projects in two separate areas. O___O

Sullivans_Sluggers-bookBigger.jpg

I'm gonna pledge, just deciding between the $30 and $50. The tshirt isn't that interesting and it sounds like only the $30 one gets the print, which is weird. Ok $30.

kswiston

So AvX is still not all that great, but I definitely enjoyed issue 4 more than issue 3 (which I had to re-read). Hickman's opening scene was funny. However, being a geek it bugged me that
He was shown wearing a polar bear in Antarctica. Polar bears only live in the arctic. Oh well, I guess if there are dinosaurs in the Marvel U version of Antarctica, there can be polar bears too!

tm24

AvX hasn't been great, but it hasnt been awful. It's been solid, which is pretty much all i ask for. The tie-ins have been great though, and i enjoy that

kswiston

AvX hasn't been great, but it hasnt been awful. It's been solid, which is pretty much all i ask for. The tie-ins have been great though, and i enjoy that

Which tie ins are worth reading? I think the only tie ins I have read so far have been the WatXM books.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
They've already reached the goal in half a day lol

But yeah, lame rewards.

Oh I wasn't even commenting about the quality of the awards, I just think it's silly calling these things rewards for Kickstarters like this. In this case, it's really just a pre-order, with an option to get a t-shirt as well.

If people are paying $30 for the hardcover, I'm not sure what the profit margin is on that, with production costs and shipping.

Nothing at first. You wont get charged til the end of the fundraising period.
Oh I see. And then they charge you and then there's a wait for production? This is fundraising to produce the project right, so they still have to print everything?

Cool, the goal was surpassed already.

Edit: Oic, estimated delivery in Sep 2012.

tm24

Which tie ins are worth reading? I think the only tie ins I have read so far have been the WatXM books.
New Avengers has been surprisingly good. Avengers Academy has been great. UXM is some good stuff.
Oh I see. And then they charge you and then there's a wait for production? This is fundraising to produce the project right, so they still have to print everything?

Cool, the goal was surpassed already.
Yeah, basically its a way to fundraise. If you have worries, don't. There hasnt been any stories of people running off with the money. Luckily the people involved are known quanties, so it will be finished

Yeah, basically its a way to fundraise. If you have worries, don't. There hasnt been any stories of people running off with the money. Luckily the people involved are known quanties, so it will be finished
Ya, I wasn't worried, just wondering when to expect the book, but it says on there Sep 2012. I just didn't see it earlier.

I wish they would reprint Orc Stain.

Owzers

New Avengers has been surprisingly good. Avengers Academy has been great. UXM is some good stuff.

not to derail this into a kickstarter tangent, but what happens if i change my address before the book gets shipped out?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My thoughts on some books I read this week:

Uncanny X-Force needs to drop this shitty artist ASAP. Shame he's gonna be on for at least the next 3 issues.

Manhattan Projects 3 - Book is finally gaining steam but I don't know if I'm gonna stick around much longer. Still hasn't really grabbed me, but I'm gonna give the first arc a fair shot.

Locke & Key is amazing. Really brilliant stuff.

Saga 3 - The Will & Lying Cat keep getting cooler, which is good because Marko looks to be a bit of a weak man a la Yorick.

Managed to cop Mind the Gap 1 but I haven't read it yet.

Okay I haven't been following Aaron's 'The Incredible Hulk' at all really, but decided to pick up the Point One issue on a whim. If I'm understanding this right, then
Hulk is now the dominant and natural state, but when he stops being angry and finds peace he inadvertently turns into Banner? And Banner is being portrayed as more psychotic and dangerous than ever before, so to keep his monster (Banner) locked away Hulk is going to have to stay angry and avoid changing back?
Did I get that right?

...That's an interesting twist. :D

Okay I haven't been following Aaron's 'The Incredible Hulk' at all really, but decided to pick up the Point One issue on a whim. If I'm understanding this right, then
Hulk is now the dominant and natural state, but when he stops being angry and finds peace he inadvertently turns into Banner? And Banner is being portrayed as more psychotic and dangerous than ever before, so to keep his monster (Banner) locked away Hulk is going to have to stay angry and avoid changing back?
Did I get that right?

That actually makes me want to read that Hulk comic.

Owzers

Do you have to Kictstart that to buy it?

"This book is exclusive only to Kickstarter backers and available here for a limited time."

sounds like it, but i dunno. Kickstarter seems weird to me, if a book has a high amount of backing, won't a publisher want to distribute it later?

I got to reading some of my comics:

Fantastic Four #605 and FF #17. I liked both overall, though i didn't really like the art in either one, didn't hate it, but not my style i guess. Both had a decent premise for not being part of a mega-arc, Fantastic Four was a little touching and FF was fun.

Hickman...take over Avengers!

Even worse is when you gon on Craigslist and people are selling long boxes full of 90's comics for thousands of dollars.

So since they already hit their goal, I still have time to pay 30 dollars before the 29 days are up?

Ya, I wasn't worried, just wondering when to expect the book, but it says on there Sep 2012. I just didn't see it earlier.

I wish they would reprint Orc Stain.

I asked an Image person at ECC a few months ago and they said it would be reprinted very soon. I thought he said late April, but that's clearly not the case. He also told me it would be printed on the same type of paper. I hope the binding is a little stronger this time though.

I asked an Image person at ECC a few months ago and they said it would be reprinted very soon. I thought he said late April, but that's clearly not the case. He also told me it would be printed on the same type of paper. I hope the binding is a little stronger this time though.
Oh good! I'll hold off buying it for $200 from an amazon third party ripoff.

tm24

Even worse is when you gon on Craigslist and people are selling long boxes full of 90's comics for thousands of dollars.

So since they already hit their goal, I still have time to pay 30 dollars before the 29 days are up?
Yep, fundraising open til than.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Read Mind the Gap #1 and wasn't super pumped about it. The art is great, premise seems interesting but I'm not sure I'm in the mood for a mystery whodunnit book right now.

Did I get that right?

I miss hulk. I dropped it at #3 for the first time since around #50... I was thinking to go back to Red Hulk maybe too

SUPREME1

Banned
Did I get that right?

Actually, I believe
Hulk and Banner are now physically seperate entities. With Banner on some remote island creating monster after monster (using the island's wild animals) in an attempt to duplicate the Hulk. He's not having much success though... aside from creating a bunch of giant animal mutations with low IQs to serve as his goon quad.

Yeah. I think that's where it was around issue number 3 or 4. That's when I stopped following.

Actually, I believe
Hulk and Banner are now physically seperate entities. With Banner on some remote island creating monster after monster (using the island's wild animals) in an attempt to duplicate the Hulk. He's not having much success though... aside from creating a bunch of giant animal mutations with low IQs to serve as his goon quad.

Yeah. I think that's where it was around issue number 3 or 4. That's when I stopped following.
And that makes me not want to read Hulk again. Good, all is well.

the chris

Actually, I believe

Here is the synopsis so far for Aaron's Incredible Hulk run.
After regaining control of himself and breaking the hammer of Nul hulk says he wants to be alone and physically seperates from banner. Later Bruce and Betty are relaxing on a tropical island when a guide comes and tells Bruce they are ready to test for radiation. When he tells her he is trying to replicate the hulk (seeing him as banners greatest achievement) she transforms and leaps away. The hulk has gone to live underground with a family of moloids when Commander Amanda Von Doom of the U.S. Government asks for his help. Meanwhile Banner gathers test subjects trying to replicate the Hulk without success. The gamma dogs he uses to round up test subjects find Hulks adoptive family and kill them, causing him to join Amanda and confront Banner on his island. Hulk tore through Banners monsters to the man himself as he was about to set of a gamma bomb to replicate the events of the the original event that created the Hulk. after failing to fight of the Hulk he grabs banner and holds him up to the bomb as it detonates vaporizing Banner and seemingly killing him.

SUPREME1

Banned
Here is the synopsis so far for Aaron's Incredible Hulk run.
After regaining control of himself and breaking the hammer of Nul hulk says he wants to be alone and physically seperates from banner. Later Bruce and Betty are relaxing on a tropical island when a guide comes and tells Bruce they are ready to test for radiation. When he tells her he is trying to replicate the hulk (seeing him as banners greatest achievement) she transforms and leaps away. The hulk has gone to live underground with a family of moloids when Commander Amanda Von Doom of the U.S. Government asks for his help. Meanwhile Banner gathers test subjects trying to replicate the Hulk without success. The gamma dogs he uses to round up test subjects find Hulks adoptive family and kill them, causing him to join Amanda and confront Banner on his island. Hulk tore through Banners monsters to the man himself as he was about to set of a gamma bomb to replicate the events of the the original event that created the Hulk. after failing to fight of the Hulk he grabs banner and holds him up to the bomb as it detonates vaporizing Banner and
seemingly
killing him.

...seemingly, huh?

DUN DUN DUN

The Point One issue out this week takes place
after the gamma bomb explosion that "killed" Banner; there's a burial scene where his radioactive ashes are encased in concrete and lead and dropped into the sea. The developments I'm talking about re: Hulk turning into Banner when relaxed appear to be the new direction the series is taking judging by the final page reveal.
Hence, the "Stay Angry" storyline that starts next issue.

So yeah, if you didn't like "The Island of Dr. Mor- uh, Banner" angle that started this series the next arc may be completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom