• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I swear the more shit changes, the more it stays the same.

235653-26339-outsiders.jpg

1328820076.jpg

That is some ugly shit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm guessing that the reason that gar is in a perma-furry state in young justice is due to this?

Well, look at what was waiting for me in the mail tonight after work:

moZ0q.jpg

I can't see 'The Avengers' tonight, but I'll still be able to enjoy myself. Thank you Amazon! :D

EDIT: Ha ha oh wow, the back cover has a baby peeing all over The Pro's tits. :O

EDIT #2: Holy sh*t Amanda's early work was terrible in a faux Phil Foglio kind of way. :LOL

EDIT #3: OMG I totally forgot that Amanda's first steady gig was that 'The Adventures of Bayou Billy' comic adaptation. I have that! :O

EDIT #4: You can really see her style start to cement itself in her work on 'Soulsearchers' for Claypool Comics.

EDIT #5: Some hilariously ridiculous personal photographs on the chapter break pages, like Amanda in a skunk costume outside a Subway restaurant. :LOL

EDIT #6: Soooooo... does anyone own a copy of 'Operation Pajama Pants'?

EDIT #7: Love these "words of praise" sections from her collaborators. Warren Ellis says the reason he loves Amanda is because she "takes such pleasure in [drawing] the craziest stuff. You can't frighten her off with anything."

EDIT #8: Atlee... :( Never again will we see your wholesome, smiling face.

EDIT #9: The inspiration for Aquaman in Amanda's 'Wednesday Comics' Supergirl strip? World-weary actor Dennis Leary. ...I can see that.

EDIT #10: Lots of pages devoted to 'The Pro'. It's one of Amanda's favorite personal projects apparently.

EDIT #11: Arm & Hammer baking soda coupon adwork for magazines. WHAT.

EDIT #12: And now, the chapter on Power Girl. HUZZAH! :D

EDIT #13: Paul Mounts says Amanda is a Big Bang Theory fan, nnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :(

Awesome art book!

Never read TWD before and just found out it isn't colored. Wut da heyl? No color or were they just out of color? Kirkman needs to realize the world isn't so black and white.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Well, look at what was waiting for me in the mail tonight after work:

moZ0q.jpg

Consider me quite jelly....

Never read TWD before and just found out it isn't colored. Wut da heyl? No color or were they just out of color? Kirkman needs to realize the world isn't so black and white.

Kirkman's reasoning was that if it were in color, ever page would be disgusting browns/greens and reds and would be a bit off putting and would turn a story about the horrors of humanity into a straight gore book. It works for the story
and who's to say the world of TWD isn't just black and white?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

I only read the first trade but Tony Moore doesn't need color. Shit's so cash.

Penguin

Picked up my weekly haul with FCBD goodies.

Checked out some of the wave 2 stuff, but think store was sold out of World's Finest

So far read GI Combat and Dial H

I dig GI Combat, though didn't know was going to be 2 different stories. I feel like Men of War, which I also dug. This book will have a short shelf life, but I can only help.

Also Dial H is kind of cool, I think I have a thing for heroes who can change powers randomly since I also really dig Resurrection Man.

demented

Asked on reddit and /co/ but not getting much love so might as well ask my bros here:

I saw Avengers and want to read more comics!
After last X men movie I got some nice big pack of xmen comics in chronological order that I'm still reading because it was too much(nearing second coming and it was everything from beginning to this day).
Beside that I only read Civil War and PunisherMax from Marvel so I wanna get into it, but unlike with Xmen where I got too much stuff I want to read essential, best etc so if anyone's got some recommendations or reading orders I'd be grateful. I do like knowing whole backstory, about characters etc.

One thing to note though, I will be getting these online, I don't know what's the general consensus here on comic scans but I live in a country where you CAN'T buy comics because no place sells them. I remember there was "Comicbook's days" at library here and when I went it was only old italian stuff that came out long time ago lol so yeah..
P.S. I'm DC fan and read a lot of their stuff and other non dc/marvel.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'll repeat it as much as needed : get the Avengers Assemble trades by Kurt Busiek and Georges Perez. The first two paperbacks are out with the third coming by the end of May.

demented

I'll check it out.
I also realized my question is pretty broad so maybe this can tighten it up, can you guys just recommend me characters, or well names of series under whose umbrella other fall in, like under X-Men's are xforce, cable, uncanny x men, new xmen, ultimate, new mutants, wolverine and ton of others, and I'll figure out what's best to read.
For example I know I'm going to check out the big ones like spiderman, ironman, hulk, captain america, thor, but I wanna know other things that don't fall under one of these. Daredevil? Avengers stuff?ff? I found wiki page with all the marvel publications but it's huge and can't get out what I need from it. Should I check out what's currently coming out and based on that go back or maybe I'll miss some stuff that's canceled/finished?

Been googling but getting mixed results :

P.S. Sleepy post, sorry for being bit incoherent, not making sense to myself either.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Are the "New Avengers" issues worth checking out? They're on sale on Comixology...

I bought a few just to check it out and it's pretty good... Ended up getting all 64 :) Downside is that if you're not up to speed on the Marvel continuity like me, it can be confusing at times. I had to hit up wikipedia quite a bit.

Online store has a sale and I'm about to order the Simonson Thor omnibus, and I'm considering throwing the Straczynski omnibus in there as well. Is his run easy to get into or do you need a lot of background knowledge?

I bought a few just to check it out and it's pretty good... Ended up getting all 64 :) Downside is that if you're not up to speed on the Marvel continuity like me, it can be confusing at times. I had to hit up wikipedia quite a bit.

Oh I don't mind. I'll get some issues then, thanks :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I managed it - it's pretty accessible.

Thanks, ordered both.

Spike Spiegel said:
Simonson's run is widely regarded as the best Thor saga ever told, and one of the best runs by any creator on any comic series ever published. It is an absolute must for any fan of the character.

I will go into this with some high expectations though...

Satch

Banned
I'll check it out.
I also realized my question is pretty broad so maybe this can tighten it up, can you guys just recommend me characters, or well names of series under whose umbrella other fall in, like under X-Men's are xforce, cable, uncanny x men, new xmen, ultimate, new mutants, wolverine and ton of others, and I'll figure out what's best to read.
For example I know I'm going to check out the big ones like spiderman, ironman, hulk, captain america, thor, but I wanna know other things that don't fall under one of these. Daredevil? Avengers stuff?ff? I found wiki page with all the marvel publications but it's huge and can't get out what I need from it. Should I check out what's currently coming out and based on that go back or maybe I'll miss some stuff that's canceled/finished?

Been googling but getting mixed results :

P.S. Sleepy post, sorry for being bit incoherent, not making sense to myself either.

Read Mark Waid's Daredevil for sure

Owzers

Online store has a sale and I'm about to order the Simonson Thor omnibus, and I'm considering throwing the Straczynski omnibus in there as well. Is his run easy to get into or do you need a lot of background knowledge?

JMS' Thor omni is great, except it has no ending since he abandoned the book instead of doing a Siege marvel event tie-in arc. Kieron Gillen comes on to Thor to finish JMS' saga, does a serviceable but imo mediocre job, and that's collected in an ultimate collection tpb.

JMS' Thor omni is great, except it has no ending since he abandoned the book instead of doing a Siege marvel event tie-in arc. Kieron Gillen comes on to Thor to finish JMS' saga, does a serviceable but imo mediocre job, and that's collected in an ultimate collection tpb.

Yeah, that Thor is my favorite JMS. He really did a great job there.

Satch

Banned
guys, i hate superhero movie discussion threads

it always turns into "every superhero in dc's roster is boring except batman" and that's just dumb as shit

ElNarez

Banned
New topic for you all : So, if I understood DC's FCBD offering correctly, Lucifer is the new Question. I'm still wondering if this is a terrible or an amazing idea. Either way it's motherfucking nuts.

it always turns into "every superhero in dc's roster is boring except batman" and that's just dumb as shit

It's the same as when a non-comics guy/gal starts spitting comics lies.

They don't even get the irony that not that long ago everyone said the Avengers could not work...

Because everybody dressed up as Iron Man for Halloween before 2008.

What do you know, you make a superhero movie with a great script, capable direction, and perfect casting, and people start to really like your character. It could work for DC just as well.

the damn half off sale yesterday got me to buy 4 of the pocketbook Strangers in Paradise, some Fables I didn't get yet, and some Hellblazer trades. boo but yay also

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Just read ultimate spidey #10. Why do these have to be so damn short?! Wish I could force myself not to read it for a year so I could read it all together

Nesotenso

I love Batman but all the people who go Bats is the greatest and everyone else is crap just suck and annoy the hell out of me.

As for everyone else being boring, I don't believe in blanket statements like that but I love more what I grew up with more, Marvel and as such i prefer Marvel more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just bought the first volumes of Starman and Locke & Key from Amazon. High expectations.

Are you reading Starman in the old trades or in the new onmnibii? I read it for the first time when they put out the hardcovers and it was utterly fantastic, one of the very best long form comic stories I've ever read. But the old trades from the early 2000s were a travesty - missing issues and pages, issues in the wrong order, none of the minis or specials... Such a waste. IMO, if you bought the first trade, I would read it, enjoy it, and then go out and start buying the omnibus versions, you won't regret it!

Penguin

Been catching up on my comics...

And AvX.. is just so uneven for me right now. One.. I absolutely dislike the art in the books, I know it is changing soon, but we get these huge iconic showdowns.. and it does nothing for me because the art is just so bland.
Then there's Cap.. who just seems so short-tempered and picking fights with everyone.. not what I expected

On the other hand, I've really been enjoying the Court of Owls stuff that DC is throwing down in the Bat-books. I'm sure the time should sync up, but not even going to bother to grasp that. Comic logic.. has always been interesting.

Also enjoyed most of the New Wave Stuff, curious when we shall see Black President Superman next

Mikaju

After Avengers movie I want read more Hulk stories, so where to start?

Also interested in Hawkeye/Black widow relationship, any great comics about them?

After Avengers movie I want read more Hulk stories, so where to start?

Also interested in Hawkeye/Black widow relationship, any great comics about them?

Peter David Hulk stories. Can find them on Amazon. But its a character study mostly on Banner and Hulk so metimes doesnt show up for issues at a time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Okay because I haven't been paying attention to Batwing or Nightwing. Is Nightwing good enough to read?

Ehhh, if you're not a longtime fan I wouldn't bother with any of the tie in books. It seems they're fun if you're already reading but completely non essential. I'm reading Nightwing but it's not particularly good in any dept. It's a solid 3/5, but not something I would recommend to anyone. The goodies are all in Batman. If you've not been reading it, start at #1 and work forward - the Court of the Owls is all spinning naturally from the story therein.

Satch

Banned
I think we might need to start compiling lists of essential readings for comic characters that have/are going to have movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom