• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Don't really know what to say to you as I consider it one of the very best runs comics has to offer. Sort of like when people criticize Blade Runner. All I can do is ::blink::

I can undertsand why you like it I guess, but every beat missed with me. The problem I had was that it was inconsequential. If it had taken the Superman mythos and spun it (like I thought they were going to do in the middle of the story, and have Clark come out publicly) then it would have been interesting, but what you get is this slow meditation on being alone and disconnected and paranoid. So without any instances of a change to the formula, or any lightfootedness of tone it just plodded along for me and then ended.

Much like Blade Runner actually :p

And also, there was just far too much coincidence in the story. Oh he's called Clark Kent and he has superman's powers? Why? Just cos. And his girlfriend is called Lois? Oh right... it was too cute for its own good IMO.

But it's cool that you like it. All Star Superman is my favourite comic ever, and I understand that people don't like that either.

Umbrella Academy and Saga were both unavailable. Chew and Locke & Key were there, but they didn't have volume 1. Ugh.

I DID, however, pickup a few other things from Half Price Books.

For my comedic relief, I picked up The Comic Book Holocaust. It reminds me Bad Art Collection, which I enjoyed.

They had something called Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse for $5, so I said why not. For $1 a piece, they had House of Secrets: Facade Vol 1 and 2. Why not...$2? And finally, for $10, the hardcover edition of The Surrogates Owner's Manual.

I'm excited to read these as my first dive into comics!

Any suggestions for weird/paranormal like stuff?

Echoing the Hellboy recommend but also go in for BPRD, which has become one of the most consistently excellent books on the racks.

Just read Frankencastle. What a fun ass comic. I wish more comics were like this. I wish Moore had drawn all of it though.

Good man. Frankencastle is my barometer for whether or not people like my kinds of comics. It's so beautiful and weird and fantastic but there's a whole segment of people who are like "EYO, you can't do that to The Punisher" and I'm like "You don't like fun. Begone with you."

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Echoing the Hellboy recommend but also go in for BPRD, which has become one of the most consistently excellent books on the racks.

BPRD sounds interesting (and right up with what I'm looking for).

I'm going to run to the shop again over lunch today to try and see what they have of these new suggestions you are all giving. Thank you!

BPRD sounds interesting (and right up with what I'm looking for).

I'm going to run to the shop again over lunch today to try and see what they have of these new suggestions you are all giving. Thank you!

There's three volumes of BPRD Plague Of Frogs Hardcovers, which should work nicely for you. You're in for a treat!!

Are the Hellboy comics kinda like the movies? I really liked the 1st movie and didn't like the 2nd. Never read any of the comics. Is it recommended to start in the beginning?

JeTmAn81

This month I plan on filling in the little gaps in my Alan Moore reading with this:

944741.jpg

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This month I plan on filling in the little gaps in my Alan Moore reading with this:

944741.jpg

I dug the hell out of this when I picked it up a year or two ago. I wish they'd some more material with this character.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay I need some suggetions. After the Avengers movie I wanna dip my feet into some comics.

Yesterday I asked for advice, and I was told the Ultimates #1+#2.

I bought #1 ($30 freaking bucks), and read it within a few hours. It was good... unfortunately it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The story reminded me alot of The Watchmen (the only other comic I've read) in how the characters were handled but spent a lot less time on the threat. I was hoping for something with a lot more action, and more focused on a big baddie (Such as Thanos) and not some threat that just kinda.... appeared conveniently at the end of the book. Not to mention Whedon seems to have taken a lot of cues from this series... so I feel like I'm sorta rereading what I saw in the movies.

So is there any quintessential Avengers/Ironman series that I might wanna read that might more fit what I'm looking for?

Bonus questions:
1. The ultimates is just a reboot of the avengers universe right?
2. I'm hearing Ironman Extremis tossed around alot, how is it?

Okay I need some suggetions. After the Avengers movie I wanna dip my feet into some comics.

Yesterday I asked for advice, and I was told the Ultimates #1+#2.

I bought #1 ($30 freaking bucks), and read it within a few hours. It was good... unfortunately it wasn't quite what I was looking for. The story reminded me alot of The Watchmen (the only other comic I've read) in how the characters were handled but spent a lot less time on the threat. I was hoping for something with a lot more action, and more focused on a big baddie (Such as Thanos) and not some threat that just kinda.... appeared conveniently at the end of the book. Not to mention Whedon seems to have taken a lot of cues from this series... so I feel like I'm sorta rereading what I saw in the movies.

So is there any quintessential Avengers/Ironman series that I might wanna read that might more fit what I'm looking for?

Bonus questions:
1. The ultimates is just a reboot of the avengers universe right?
2. I'm hearing Ironman Extremis tossed around alot, how is it?

BQ1: a reboot of the entire Marvel Universe
BQ2: never read it

If you want focus on a big baddie, read Infinity Gauntlet, some of it is hokie, since it was from the early 90's. Overall it's got action from cover to cover

Also, for good Avengers action there's also Avengers: Prime which focused on Cap, Thor and Iron Man and was just pure fun and action.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh and what comic did the one panel with thor fucking up ironman good? I"ve seen it posted a few times. I'm guessing civil war?

Are the Hellboy comics kinda like the movies? I really liked the 1st movie and didn't like the 2nd. Never read any of the comics. Is it recommended to start in the beginning?

It's pretty different from the movies in tone, but the same general conceit. And yeah, I'd start at the beginning. It's all a connected story, including BPRD and all the ancillary stuff (Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson) and ALL recommended.

the chris

Oh and what comic did the one panel with thor fucking up ironman good? I"ve seen it posted a few times. I'm guessing civil war?

Pretty sure it's from Thor #2 in JMS's run if this is the page you're talking about.
r0jQB.jpg

Thor also was the holder of the Odinforce at the time, so Iron Man was pretty outclassed power wise.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, just got back!

Mega Man Vol 2 #13
Secret #1
Saga #2
BPRD The Long Death #2 and #3
Whispers #2

Got a subscription in for all of them as well. They are going to order Saga #1 for me, #1 of the BPRD series, and Whispers #1. But now, all the new shit that comes out on Wednesday will be there waiting for me. :)

No luck on some of the other stuff, and one or two of the books suggested were there, but I can get them for $10 cheaper online (which in this case, I will). The Take Out Bandit linked me to the October thread that had a BUNCH of suggestions along the lines of what I enjoy, so I'll be going through that and hunting some stuff down. <3

OK, just got back!

Mega Man Vol 2 #13
Secret #1
Saga #2
BPRD The Long Death #2 and #3
Whispers #2

Got a subscription in for all of them as well. They are going to order Saga #1 for me, #1 of the BPRD series, and Whispers #1. But now, all the new shit that comes out on Wednesday will be there waiting for me. :)

No luck on some of the other stuff, and one or two of the books suggested were there, but I can get them for $10 cheaper online (which in this case, I will). The Take Out Bandit linked me to the October thread that had a BUNCH of suggestions along the lines of what I enjoy, so I'll be going through that and hunting some stuff down. <3

Oh dude. You probably won't understand what's going on in Long Death but holy fuck get ready for the best comic art in the history of the medium.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh dude. You probably won't understand what's going on in Long Death but holy fuck get ready for the best comic art in the history of the medium.

I'm waiting until #1 comes in next week before I touch those that I'm missing. I've got enough stuff to tide me over until then I think. :)

After reading Avenging Spider-Man this week, I really want a She-Hulk series by Kathryn and Stuart Immonen.

Not quite as much as I'd want Dan Slott to do it again, but these two would be almost as good.

Ferrio

Banned
BQ1: a reboot of the entire Marvel Universe
BQ2: never read it

If you want focus on a big baddie, read Infinity Gauntlet, some of it is hokie, since it was from the early 90's. Overall it's got action from cover to cover

Also, for good Avengers action there's also Avengers: Prime which focused on Cap, Thor and Iron Man and was just pure fun and action.

Anyone have any other suggestions? How is ultimates #2 in comparison to #1?

JeTmAn81

I dug the hell out of this when I picked it up a year or two ago. I wish they'd some more material with this character.

I haven't read much so far, but I'm already liking the robot dog/wolf/thing. Talking animals, metal or not, are always fun. Plus, it's Alan Moore which in my book means it's pretty much guaranteed to be good. I don't think I've ever read anything by him, from Watchmen to V For Vendetta to Top Ten to Promethea, that I didn't like.

the chris

Even then I really doubt he could have defeated the God of thunder. Unless you mean if it was IM and co who who where against Thor.

I meant more in the fact that Iron Man was outclassed more so than he usually is by Thor. He can usually put up more of a fight against Thor but he was just stomped on there.

As for today's release of Uncanny X-Force, why can't Remender be writing Deadpool's comic series as well? Deadpool's story in the book cracked me up.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay things I think I might pick up:

-Ultimates #2. Hoping that there's more action, and less squabble among members
-Ironman: Extremis
-Invincible Ironman
-Infinity Gauntlet

I doubt I can pick them all up... maybe only 2 at most. Damn Ultimates is like $30 bucks here... for a 2 hour read that's pretty steep.

Any thoughts on these?

Owzers

-Invincible Ironman
-Infinity Gauntlet

I doubt I can pick them all up... maybe only 2 at most. Damn Ultimates is like $30 bucks here... for a 2 hour read that's pretty steep.

Any thoughts on these?

Ultimates #2: Loved it, though i liked the first volume too. IIRC Ultimates #2 was a lot more big action and entirely less team squabble/forming.

Iron Man Extremis was pretty good,

Invincible Iron man ( fraction's series?) had a really good first 5 issue arc, then a decently good long Most Wanted arc, then it kinda lost/bored me.

Infinity Gauntlet was mostly good but as mentioned before, a little too cheesey for me.

Owzers

I knew the earth was flat, jerks been telling me for years i was wrong but BAM, giant X. I'm looking forward to issue #3 in my next dcbs order, i hope that cover doesn't massively spoil things though....covers: why do you ruin things!

-Invincible Ironman
-Infinity Gauntlet

Any thoughts on these?

You should really flip through those Iron man books before you buy, cuz while some have really liked them, many people are turned off by the art (like me)

Also, you should take a look at Avengers: Prime.

Mifune

Mehmber
I picked up Iron Man Extremis during the recent Comixology Iron Man sale. Didn't really like it. Didn't care for the art and Warren Ellis seemed to phone much of it in. Got better towards the end but those first couple issues weren't much fun at all.

Started to read Fraction's run and it's decent. Still doesn't match the Busiek stuff from the late 90s though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, browsing Comixology is dangerous. So many awesome looking series, but I don't know if I'd rather have physical or digital mediums. :|

Good man. Frankencastle is my barometer for whether or not people like my kinds of comics. It's so beautiful and weird and fantastic but there's a whole segment of people who are like "EYO, you can't do that to The Punisher" and I'm like "You don't like fun. Begone with you."

Frankencastle, to me, celebrates the spirit of comics as much as anything else. Anything goes no matter how crazy it may sound. It works because it's a really well done comic.

944741.jpg
I wasn't really a fan of this when I gave it a go a few years back. It just didn't strike with me. It's not written to the level you'd expect from Moore (even from his early days) and the art wasn't enough for me to make up for it. It was a big meh for me.

What do you guys store your comics in? I've been using plastic file boxes with hanging folders, which are ok, but larger than necessary. I don't want to use cardboard because I feel like it will attract silverfish and roaches.

tim1138

So after reading GL 9,
the destruction of the rainbow corps continued. Now the Red, Sinestro, and Indigo no longer have central power batteries. As of this issue the Indigo Tribe and Sinestro Corps really don't even exist anymore either.

Garryk

What do you guys store your comics in? I've been using plastic file boxes with hanging folders, which are ok, but larger than necessary. I don't want to use cardboard because I feel like it will attract silverfish and roaches.
I just use standard longboxes. You can get plastic longboxes, but they are pricy.

http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/comic-boxes/long-comic-book-storage-box-plastic.htm

Also, if you can't buy these at a store expect to pay crazy shipping.

Grumbling about butts in front of a keyboard.

Fixed.

It's comic books, nobody stays Dead for long.

Also, pretty interesting status quo change for my boy Deadpool.
He's good looking now! They got rid of the cancer in his body that was affecting him and that Weapon X exgerrated. BUT, he's also lost his super healing factor! So, pretty big changes for Mr. Wilson, that will carry over into UXF and everything after that

I had a month free access to the marvel digital site and didn't read one issue. I tried, but I just can't sit and read online. Get distracted too easily and I don't like having to shift around to see the whole page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom