• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

mreddie

Holy shit Ghost Rider went out like a wet fart

Bad art, bad writing, barely any Robbie, idiot Cho, dumb villain, too many cameos, weirdly out of character Laura-Wolverine

2/10 and the 2 is just for the scene where Robbie hits Cho with his car a bunch

Jesus Christ what a disappointment

A shit way to go out too because I doubt we'll see Robbie again.

Messi

Maybe 6/10

But I am 11/10 baffled as to where the series goes from there.
I am a couple of issues past that and I suppose killing of 99% of your original cast including the protagonist is ballsy. The new characters are alright I guess, but it is a bit weird.
So Marcus wasn't the focus of the series or indeed the main character after all?
I guess Saya is?

Fuck knows.

I believe she is the focus, yes.

Willie :(

Sandfox

A shit way to go out too because I doubt we'll see Robbie again.
We just need to wait for Marvel to listen to fans and make him Kamala's love interest.

In all seriousness I would just expect Marvel to focus on the featured Generations legacy heroes for the time being.

OMG guys, Stephanie looking good tonight.

uQ5qcMy.gif

Local book store I never go to had a sale going of buy one graphic novel and get two free. Selection was pretty limited but I ended up getting:

Incredible Hulk Vol. 1 (Aaron) hardcover
Franken-Castle TPB
Punisher Max Vol 2 (Ennis) hardcover

Total of ~$31. Did I do alright? I rarely read comics anymore but from what I remember Jason Aaron is usually good, Frankencastle was supposed to be surprisingly good, and Ennis Punisher is always good.

I will be cracking them open later this week probably.

duckroll

East of West - Year One

Wow. What a ride. I had no real idea what I was in for other than it was a Hickman comic that's well received and about a post-apocalyptic setting that is literally the coming of the apocalypse.

I love how it got crazier and crazier as they peeled back the layers, but each issue revealed more backstory and individual stories of the supporting characters. It's such a Hickman work building process. The alternate history stuff threw me off completely. I didn't expect that and it made the entire setting 500000% more interesting. Hickman loves his what-ifs and this is the mother of all what-ifs. In a way it is more interesting than Manhattan Projects because instead of dwelling on the what-if of the past, it takes that what-if and extends it into a fully developed history and timeline, telling the story from the future that never will be, with stakes beyond our imagination.

I also didn't expect the art to be as good as it was. The covers I've seen didn't really create the impression of there being stunning spreads and really creative action pieces which play with panel work. Lots of details, great backgrounds, and designs which are soooooo fun.

Amazon pls deliver my Year Two soon!

Messi

East of West - Year One

Wow. What a ride. I had no real idea what I was in for other than it was a Hickman comic that's well received and about a post-apocalyptic setting that is literally the coming of the apocalypse.

I love how it got crazier and crazier as they peeled back the layers, but each issue revealed more backstory and individual stories of the supporting characters. It's such a Hickman work building process. The alternate history stuff threw me off completely. I didn't expect that and it made the entire setting 500000% more interesting. Hickman loves his what-ifs and this is the mother of all what-ifs. In a way it is more interesting than Manhattan Projects because instead of dwelling on the what-if of the past, it takes that what-if and extends it into a fully developed history and timeline, telling the story from the future that never will be, with stakes beyond our imagination.

I also didn't expect the art to be as good as it was. The covers I've seen didn't really create the impression of there being stunning spreads and really creative action pieces which play with panel work. Lots of details, great backgrounds, and designs which are soooooo fun.

Nick Dragotta is a fucking wizard. I love that book. Can't wait for my year two to arrive also. Very excited.

East of West - Year One

Yea I really love East of West. Next to his fantastic four run I think it's my favorite thing he's done. And it's really helped like you said by the amazing and consistent art.

Owzers

I mean, you expect there to be a superman punch, but I was totally blown away at the barrage of punches and spears. It's like when Brock does his German suplexes but instead of having to lift someone you just jump in the air and punch. What a time to be alive.

Owzers

Smackdown was a mistake, orton/Wyatt and whatever that women's match was could have been cut. Cena date night was cute I guess? AJ and Shane was enjoyable but I'm not sure why it's a thing.

IrishNinja

is there a good resource for marvel omnibus info? i ordered the daredevil brubaker reprints & saw they're finally reprinting walt simonson's thor run in october, just wondering if there was any site/etc to let you know what else was on deck, new or reprinted.

really dying for the bendis/maleev DD volumes to come around again, they're stupid-pricey but one of my favorite runs in comics.

VanWinkle

is there a good resource for marvel omnibus info? i ordered the daredevil brubaker reprints & saw they're finally reprinting walt simonson's thor run in october, just wondering if there was any site/etc to let you know what else was on deck, new or reprinted.

really dying for the bendis/maleev DD volumes to come around again, they're stupid-pricey but one of my favorite runs in comics.

There's a Facebook group that talks about collected editions (mostly omnis but other collected editions as well) and we keep up with new announcements, solicits, and info really well. I can PM you the link if you'd like. Apparently it takes awhile to get accepted into the group, but I think it's worth it.

As a more direct source, you can do what I do. Go to Amazon, search "Marvel omnibus", and under Sort By, choose Newest Arrivals. You'll get the occasional non-Marvel and non-omnibus book in there, but for the most part it will tell you every Marvel omnibus announced from the furthest away to the soonest.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Something like this? http://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...ks/collecting-marvel-comics-omnibus-editions/

IrishNinja

man, what kills me is, i have the original cover for the Miller DD omnibus, right? i missed out on that companion one, and the reprint's art is nice & it's like $40 (which is great) but man i really want that OG APOCALYPSE cover haha

There's a Facebook group that talks about collected editions (mostly omnis but other collected editions as well) and we keep up with new announcements, solicits, and info really well. I can PM you the link if you'd like. Apparently it takes awhile to get accepted into the group, but I think it's worth it.

As a more direct source, you can do what I do. Go to Amazon, search "Marvel omnibus", and under Sort By, choose Newest Arrivals. You'll get the occasional non-Marvel and non-omnibus book in there, but for the most part it will tell you every Marvel omnibus announced from the furthest away to the soonest.

both solid ideas! yes please PM me a link if you don't mind, and that amazon idea should've been obvious but i'm gonna try it now!

that's pretty good too, thanks man!

I think the only comics I bought from Wondercon were a volume of Hellblazer (Ennis/Dillon), a volume of Power Man & Iron Fist, issues of Rockstars (Megan Hutchison is gonna be mailing me a sketch cover this week or so), a GL/Apes crossover, a bit of Black Mask stuff, advanced copies of Godshaper #1 and 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank #4, and some minis. Don't think I need to hit up the LCS this week
Becky Lynch's Aloy costume was amazing.

quJHUlL.gif
queen

Wanderer5

Meh the purple reminds me of Batman: The Animated Series/Justice League Bats so I don't mind it at all.XD

I really like his current design a lot, especially the yellow outline around the bat logo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Not really sure what to think about Stray Bullets.

The first two chapters were REALLY good and absolutely brutal and then it kinda gets super goofy and very comedic in tone. Not a lot happens until chapter 14, which I just finished reading.

Hopefully 15 and on get back to the quality of chapter 1, 2 and 14.

OMG guys, Stephanie looking good tonight.

Favourite Stephanie era was during her return as Smackdown GM during the initial brand split, but she looked good last night, I'll give her that. I ended up watching the show until the end of the Triple H fight then I tapped out to the 3am sleep deprivation submission. It wasn't the worst show ever. I remember HATING Triple H after he took the belt from Mick Foley back in the day andhow he just wouldn't go away after that, always in title contention but he was probably the guy I was most into seeing last night ha.

Not sure what comics I'll read today, maybe start on The Black Monday Murders. Otherwise, just continue on the Remender train, I've got Tokyo Ghost vol 2 & Black Science 4/5 sitting here.

Top Bottom