• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and I'm reasonably sure this is probably UE4 based.

I'm still waiting for a game to deliver on the promise of X-Men Destiny. Mutant superheroes RPG.

I'd settle for another X-Men Legends.

I know that's sort of what Marvel Heroes is, but not having all of the online microtransaction nonsense is a definite plus.

shingi70

Banned
Marvel vs Capcom Infinte is gonna flop so hard. The casual audience for fighters is gonna get full with Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 in the next two months, and then it's lauching a week after Destiny 2.

How did Destiny turned out

It was completely and irredeemably awful. The fact that it'll never be rereleased because of Silicon Knights' legal trouble with Epic Games is a blessing for mankind.

Marvel vs Capcom Infinte is gonna flop so hard. The casual audience for fighters is gonna get full with Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 in the next two months, and then it's lauching a week after Destiny 2.

It'll be fine. They'll sell characters and costumes to the hardcores forever and probably pick up a bunch of casual sales along the way. They still pump out Street Fighter V content and that game's absolutely dead in terms of the mainstream.

Injustice 2 yes, I really don't think the casual audience gives a shit about Tekken in current year. A Tekken 3 remaster would probably sell better but of course they can't release Tekken 3 again because they don't have the rights to Gon.

I can't comment on Destiny because I don't own any consoles.

I bought that shit at full price. I foolishly believed in the dream.

image.php

---

shingi70

Banned
It was completely and irredeemably awful. The fact that it'll never be rereleased because of Silicon Knights' legal trouble with Epic Games is a blessing for mankind.

It'll be fine. They'll sell characters and costumes to the hardcores forever and probably pick up a bunch of casual sales along the way. They still pump out Street Fighter V content and that game's absolutely dead in terms of the mainstream.

Injustice 2 yes, I really don't think the casual audience gives a shit about Tekken in current year. A Tekken 3 remaster would probably sell better but of course they can't release Tekken 3 again because they don't have the rights to Gon.

I can't comment on Destiny because I don't own any consoles.

That's the same thinking that made Street Fighter V a failure.

That's the same thinking that made Street Fighter V a failure.

It's fine. It doesn't have to sell Mortal Kombat X numbers. Plenty of games survive on pumping out skins and such these days.

Targeting esports was their biggest failure. The FGC is marketing poison (look at how sterile ELEAGUE is compared to regular tournaments, the FGC's antics wouldn't fly on a real broadcaster), console esports aren't really a notable thing (haloworlds.jpg) and 1 vs. 1 games are just never going to pull the numbers that team games are going to. The only 1v1 game that's really taken off in this era is Hearthstone, and "RNG fucked me over." is that game's substitute for "I'm carrying this team and if it wasn't for these other goons we'd be winning." in League/Dota/CS:GO/Overwatch. There's no hiding in a fighting game. Unless it's Test Your Luck of course.

Sat and read through Pretty Deadly volume 2. Fuuuck me, the visual storytelling is ambitious in this one. The first book has its fair share of creative spreads and layouts but it's almost like every page flows into the next in this volume and takes on new form briefly to tell the next step before flowing onwards. Very cool stuff.

The story was cool, this volume felt alot more metaphorical and personal than the last. Vol 1 has this feel but there was a lot going on with the twists and turns in building the mythology and secrets behind each character. Most of the original cast return, but they feel more like guides into a more personal thoughtful tale that, even in its most bombastic moments, wants to present ideas for you to think about, than put big narrative beats or character turns first. Again same ingredients, just skewed a little differently as a result of not being the first rodeo. Rest assured though, DeConnick has some aces in her back pocket and there's a few clever plot details that unfold. The framing device didn't feel quite as successful this time but then again, I think I need to ruminate on those scenes a little, and pick through them before I make my mind up.

Pretty Deadly then. A cool book, and volume 2 is a good installment. It feels like the book could take any form and tell any tale with any focus with the pieces it's put in place and the capable creative team, and that's exciting. Plus that's two books where I've quite liked the message coming out of them. For a book about death, it has a lot of nice things to say about the nature of life. Looking forward to what comes next.

EDIT: Oh, worth adding that the back matter is quite good, and the prose that explains Johnny Coyote & Molly Raven's story is in there from Pretty Deadly 1 & 2 which is nice.

Zombine

Banned
Ya'll are underestimating the Marvel brand. This game is going to move at least 2 million units.

Edit:

Don't laugh at me I'm serious.

Sandfox

Ya'll are underestimating the Marvel brand. This game is going to move at least 2 million units.

Edit:

Don't laugh at me I'm serious.
MvC3 shipped 2 million in the first month. I expect this game to sell less but it won't bomb unless they have unrealistic expectations or the game is trash.

Spotted that the Dark Horse book "The Once And Future Queen" has cancelled #3-5 and will instead go forward as an OGN series. Boom just made this move with a series the other day. From the creators:

What has happened? Issues #3–#5 of The Once and Future Queen have been cancelled, in print and digital. But there will still be a trade collection of the full series released in November. You can order it by clicking here, right now, in fact.

Why did this happen? The comic industry is a fickle thing. The Once and Future Queen was well received by press and its readers, and while it was growing in market awareness, print efforts have been shifted to the book market so we can grow and reach our target audience.

Not sure if anyone is following it, but just an interesting trend.

zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

$200? jeebus...

I might be tempted if I didn't already have one foot out the door of the CE game. I bought the one for Horizon, and I think I'm just going all digital everything from now on. Especially for fighters, because who wants to have to swap discs to play a fighting game?

Those Infinity Gems are snazzy, though.

Nudull

Banned
We could all pitch in and give out the Infinity Stones for safe guarding, one for each of the few members we trust most.

I was watching some of the supers on Youtube yesterday. These look way more involved than the ones from the first game.
It's about 50/50. Some look generic and no different than their normal attacks like Firestorm and Blue Beetle, and then you have some crazy creative ones like The Flash, Brainiac, and Darkseid.

Messi

Spotted that the Dark Horse book "The Once And Future Queen" has cancelled #3-5 and will instead go forward as an OGN series. Boom just made this move with a series the other day. From the creators:

Not sure if anyone is following it, but just an interesting trend.

Shit. This is why you don't create OTs months in advance lol

Hmmm, I want those Infinity Stones but I don't think I $200 want them
Hmmm, maybe I could make my own. Hmmmm!

Sat and read through Pretty Deadly volume 2. Fuuuck me, the visual storytelling is ambitious in this one. The first book has its fair share of creative spreads and layouts but it's almost like every page flows into the next in this volume and takes on new form briefly to tell the next step before flowing onwards. Very cool stuff.

The story was cool, this volume felt alot more metaphorical and personal than the last. Vol 1 has this feel but there was a lot going on with the twists and turns in building the mythology and secrets behind each character. Most of the original cast return, but they feel more like guides into a more personal thoughtful tale that, even in its most bombastic moments, wants to present ideas for you to think about, than put big narrative beats or character turns first. Again same ingredients, just skewed a little differently as a result of not being the first rodeo. Rest assured though, DeConnick has some aces in her back pocket and there's a few clever plot details that unfold. The framing device didn't feel quite as successful this time but then again, I think I need to ruminate on those scenes a little, and pick through them before I make my mind up.

Pretty Deadly then. A cool book, and volume 2 is a good installment. It feels like the book could take any form and tell any tale with any focus with the pieces it's put in place and the capable creative team, and that's exciting. Plus that's two books where I've quite liked the message coming out of them. For a book about death, it has a lot of nice things to say about the nature of life. Looking forward to what comes next.

EDIT: Oh, worth adding that the back matter is quite good, and the prose that explains Johnny Coyote & Molly Raven's story is in there from Pretty Deadly 1 & 2 which is nice.

Thanks for the review! I think I will give it another shot. I go back and forth on the story but dat art.

caliph95

Still, his super didn't have to be just him throwing fireballs.
Yeah but it's not inaccurate of the cw version of him which is basically human torch with a different costume with the occasional actual power that he is famous for. I don't remember if he even phase in the show

Top Bottom