• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

I hope it's just people making fun of her for jobbing it up in TFA.

I don't think they intitially intended Phasma to be more than a bit character, but she ended up getting a big following because she looked so cool.

The Journey to TFA was pretty good actually. The book about what happened the day after Endor.

I kind of hate how Marvel labels event lead-ups "Journey to... [Insert Next Shitty Event Title Here]. I just refer to this book as Shattered Empire. Which I liked for the most part, but it was a bit short.

I miss Dr. Light (Kimiyo). She's still MIA since the New 52 fiasco.

Be happy DC hasn't decided to bring her back and ruin her yet.

Easy money for the nostalgia play. Remind people of when they enjoyed X-Men

I enjoyed the Bendis run. :(

Meh. Who buys these things?

Low is my favourite Remender book.

You keep reminding me. Do you like where the book is currently or are you still holding a torch for the first two arcs?

Messi

I was picking the single issues up monthly as the released, probably about the first 8-10. It was a cool premise but it just didn't catch my attention as well as Fear Agent or Deadly Class did. Still a good book imo, just not Remender's best creator owned work.

Just noticed last night that Lark is the artist in Lazarus. Haven't read through his Daredevil stuff yet, just skimmed through the Omni when it arrived. But how can he do such amazing work on Laz while his DD stuff can be pretty bland. It almost looks like he's just trying to match the previous artist style that came before him with Bendis's run. Don't get me wrong, I think he does great work. Just that his run on DD pales in comparison to his Lazarus stuff.

Really like the current DD artist. Hope Marvel does a HC for it with the first 2 trades in it like they did with Bendis's X books and the upcoming DC Rebirth HCs.

A book you own part of > corporate work

I was picking the single issues up monthly as the released, probably about the first 8-10. It was a cool premise but it just didn't catch my attention as well as Fear Agent or Deadly Class did. Still a good book imo, just not Remender's best creator owned work.

Just noticed last night that Lark is the artist in Lazarus. Haven't read through his Daredevil stuff yet, just skimmed through the Omni when it arrived. But how can he do such amazing work on Laz while his DD stuff can be pretty bland. It almost looks like he's just trying to match the previous artist style that came before him with Bendis's run. Don't get me wrong, I think he does great work. Just that his run on DD pales in comparison to his Lazarus stuff.

Really like the current DD artist. Hope Marvel does a HC for it with the first 2 trades in it like they did with Bendis's X books and the upcoming DC Rebirth HCs.

Building on what Messi just said, you're comparing a creator-owned book that Lark can take several months to work 4-5 issue arcs on then take a break to work on more, to what I would assume was a monthly book from a big company with no breaks and huge time constraints.

I don't think they intitially intended Phasma to be more than a bit character, but she ended up getting a big following because she looked so cool.

I kind of hate how Marvel labels event lead-ups "Journey to... [Insert Next Shitty Event Title Here]. I just refer to this book as Shattered Empire. Which I liked for the most part, but it was a bit short.

Be happy DC hasn't decided to bring her back and ruin her yet.

I enjoyed the Bendis run. :(

Meh. Who buys these things?

You keep reminding me. Do you like where the book is currently or are you still holding a torch for the first two arcs?
Nah, they promoted her a ton and compared her to Boba Fett before the movie even had a trailer out IIRC.

Phasma's costume was originally one of many designs for Kylo, but JJ liked it so much he still wanted to include it in the film. I can't remember them ever saying she'd play a big role in the film though.

Image putting out an OHC of The Goddamned's first vol without waiting on the second? Says a lot about the expected schedule hah

512HMqNflZL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Cool cover though.

Yeah, I'm done with Constantine. Not able to finish the second volume, feels like a chore. Three issues left and I don't even care about how the arc will conclude. I can't recall the last time a comic went from enjoyable to boring within 4-5 issues for me.

Jumped to the The Rebirth issue at the end and that was just plain bad. Including a curse that is for some no context reason Arabic/Urdu script...

Also finished The World of Edena which I loved in spite of Moebius writing like a Lynch movie for the third act. (Or like that guy you meet at a party who wants to convince you eating vegan/paleo is the only way to save humanity). But SRA - the fifth book in the collection - has some of the best colouring I've ever seen in a comic book. So beautiful.

I didn't know Moebius was one of the founders of Humanoids!

This library series is turning out to be a bit of a tease for me. I want to read more of his stories but we seem to be getting the The Art of Edena next and then three books of Inside Moebius. They should have at least alternated between stories and additional material.

Zombine

Banned
Doctor Aphra is a Marvel book that has a bunch of Mary Sue characters and doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. Nobody in Star Wars says "that sucks." She feels more like an Avenger than a Star Wars character now.

Yoda arc was super awful too. They've been going full old EU recently...and you never go full old EU.

Holy shit man, the bathing house fight scene in #22 of East of West with Xiao, coupled with the mostly silent storytelling. Very very cool. For all the clever wordy moments the series has, that's easily one of my favourite issues.

(browser keeps changing its mind if this was a double or not)

Messi

Doctor Aphra is a Marvel book that has a bunch of Mary Sue characters and doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. Nobody in Star Wars says "that sucks."

Yoda arc was super awful too. They've been going full old EU recently...and you never go full old EU.

Did you have this problem during Darth Vader? Gillen isn't writing her any differently.

caliph95

Doctor Aphra is a Marvel book that has a bunch of Mary Sue characters and doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. Nobody in Star Wars says "that sucks." She feels more like an Avenger than a Star Wars character now.

?
What how is Aphra a mary sue

Zombine

Banned
Did you have this problem during Darth Vader? Gillen isn't writing her any differently.

Nope. Liked her in Vader. They're getting a bit too wacky with the character designs and shit now and it doesn't look or feel very Star Wars-y to me.

ElNarez

Banned
The first arc in Doctor Aphra is about an archaeologist and their dad looking for an ancient artifact that might grant eternal life, while chased by the foot soldiers of a fascist power.

So I will say that it is a little too cute for its own good, because, we fucking got it. You don't need to have
a space artifact getting space stored in a space warehouse while we space zoom away from it.

Zombine

Banned
Aphra is not the Mary Sue. All her partners are. Do I like them? Yeah. But it's still kind of illogical that there's someone in Star Wars canon who just happens to travel with the evil versions of popular characters from the OT.

The Marvel comment is in regards to her character being written more like a friend to Spider-Woman or Captain Marvel than someone who would exist within the realm of Star Wars.

Anyone got a list of books for DC that are monthly or are going monthly?

I believe the monthly books are all $3.99 now.

http://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-raises-price-for-monthly-rebirth-titles-adds-digital-codes/

Here’s the full-list of series which will see a price increase and/or added digital codes starting in April: “All Star Batman,” “Batgirl,” “Batgirl and the Birds of Prey,” “Batman Beyond,” “Batwoman,” “Blue Beetle,” “Cyborg,” “The Hellblazer,” “New Super-Man,” “Red Hood and the Outlaws,” “Super Sons,” “Supergirl,” “Superwoman,” “Teen Titans,” “Titans” and “Trinity.”

I want to say Deathstroke is switching over soon.

Yeah, I'm done with Constantine. Not able to finish the second volume, feels like a chore. Three issues left and I don't even care about how the arc will conclude. I can't recall the last time a comic went from enjoyable to boring within 4-5 issues for me.

Jumped to the The Rebirth issue at the end and that was just plain bad. Including a curse that is for some no context reason Arabic/Urdu script...

If you're talking about the JT4/Doyle run, I liked it for the most part but yeah it doesn't quite stick the landing

Top Bottom