• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Hagi

So I went ahead and bought the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy omni. I was able to get it for $40 from someone because Marvel did a bad guy move. For anybody who doesn't know, they released this book like three months ago. Then, about a month ago, they solicited three huge cosmic omnis, that contain, among other things, THIS WHOLE RUN. In a much more complete format. Can't believe they did that.

Anyway, I don't think my budget would allow me to buy those three $125 cover price omnis, not to mention a crucial part of their cosmic line - Annihilation - is horribly out of print and hasn't been re-solicited along with this other stuff. So I bought this book cheap. I hope it at least has a summary page or something that will allow me to read this coherently without feeling lost. Maybe I'll get the War of Kings OHC too since it apparently overlaps with that a lot.

What exactly is in these new cosmic omnis? You have piqued my interest.

For anybody who doesn't know, they released this book like three months ago. Then, about a month ago, they solicited three huge cosmic omnis, that contain, among other things, THIS WHOLE RUN. In a much more complete format. Can't believe they did that.

I can. This is exactly the kind of thing that Marvel does.

The five omnibuses (Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings: Prelude, War of Kings, War of Kings: Aftermath) will contain the whole new Marvel Cosmic issues in the correct order.

Hagi

Everything. They collected from Annihilation onwards and will end with the end of DnAs Run.

Wow is there a release date for the first volume? I'll buy the shit out of all them.

The five omnibuses (Annihilation, Annihilation Conquest, War of Kings: Prelude, War of Kings, War of Kings: Aftermath) will contain the whole new Marvel Cosmic issues in the correct order.

Sometimes dreams do come true..

VanWinkle

War of Kings Prelude: Road to War of Kings Omnibus:
SON OF M 1-6, X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS 1-6, SILENT WAR 1-6, SECRET INVASION: INHUMANS 1-4, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) 1-12, NOVA 13-22, NOVA: THE ORIGIN OF RICHARD RIDER, WAR OF KINGS SAGA

War of Kings Omnibus:
UNCANNY X-MEN 475-486, X-MEN: EMPEROR VULCAN 1-5, SECRET INVASION: WAR OF KINGS, X-MEN: KINGBREAKER 1-4, WAR OF KINGS: DARKHAWK 1-2, WAR OF KINGS: WARRIORS 1-2, WAR OF KINGS 1-6, WAR OF KINGS: ASCENSION 1-4, WAR OF KINGS: SAVAGE WORLD OF SAKAAR, NOVA 23-28, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 13-19, WAR OF KINGS: WHO WILL RULE?, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: WAR OF KINGS

War of Kings Aftermath: Realm of Kings Omnibus:
REALM OF KINGS 1; REALM OF KINGS: INHUMANS 1-5; REALM OF KINGS: IMPERIAL GUARD 1-5; REALM OF KINGS: SON OF HULK 1-4; NOVA (2007) 29-36; GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) 20-25; THANOS IMPERATIVE 1-6, IGNITION, DEVASTATION; ANNIHILATORS 1-4; ANNIHILATORS: EARTHFALL 1-4; THANOS SOURCEBOOK; MATERIAL FROM I AM AN AVENGER 3

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wow is there a release date for the first volume? I'll buy the shit out of all them.
Annihilation was released 2014 and goes right now for 340 bucks...

Annihilation: Conqest is still avaiable.
Edit: Should be avaiable on Comixology, but who buys digital Omnibuses?

AH KOTOBUKIYA YOU CUNTS.

NYCC Exclusive:
463958.jpg

The original, which just came out last week:
Good thing I haven't paid AmiAmi for it yet.

giphy.gif

Hagi

War of Kings Prelude: Road to War of Kings Omnibus:
SON OF M 1-6, X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS 1-6, SILENT WAR 1-6, SECRET INVASION: INHUMANS 1-4, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) 1-12, NOVA 13-22, NOVA: THE ORIGIN OF RICHARD RIDER, WAR OF KINGS SAGA

War of Kings Omnibus:
UNCANNY X-MEN 475-486, X-MEN: EMPEROR VULCAN 1-5, SECRET INVASION: WAR OF KINGS, X-MEN: KINGBREAKER 1-4, WAR OF KINGS: DARKHAWK 1-2, WAR OF KINGS: WARRIORS 1-2, WAR OF KINGS 1-6, WAR OF KINGS: ASCENSION 1-4, WAR OF KINGS: SAVAGE WORLD OF SAKAAR, NOVA 23-28, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 13-19, WAR OF KINGS: WHO WILL RULE?, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: WAR OF KINGS

War of Kings Aftermath: Realm of Kings Omnibus:
REALM OF KINGS 1; REALM OF KINGS: INHUMANS 1-5; REALM OF KINGS: IMPERIAL GUARD 1-5; REALM OF KINGS: SON OF HULK 1-4; NOVA (2007) 29-36; GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2008) 20-25; THANOS IMPERATIVE 1-6, IGNITION, DEVASTATION; ANNIHILATORS 1-4; ANNIHILATORS: EARTHFALL 1-4; THANOS SOURCEBOOK; MATERIAL FROM I AM AN AVENGER 3

Unfortunately, Annihilation released a couple of years ago and is now out of print and goes for $250+ on eBay.

May 20, 2014.

Annihilation was released 2014 and goes right now for 340 bucks...

Annihilation: Conqest is still avaiable.
Edit: Should be avaiable on Comixology, but who buys digital Omnibuses?

Well I must say it's been a while since I've had my hopes dashed so quickly...I never did read War of Kings though so silver lining and all that. It's weird that Amazon lists the prelude as the last Omni to release.

Favorite Artists: Kenneth Rocafort.
Honorbable Mentions: Chirs Bachalo, Brett Booth, Eiichiro Oda, Akira Toriyama, Sean Murphy, Greg Tocchini, Matteo Scalera, Rafael Albuquerque, Jim Mahfood, Becky Cloonan, Leslie Hung, and Wes Craig.

Favorite Writer: Rick Remender.

Well, learn something new every day. Why were they published in a smaller size, tho?

Our newstands didn't have racks to support the "huge" size of american comic books on its tiny comic space. Yeah. Pretty lame reason but there it is lol. All chidrens books are at this size, Disney and our own Turma da Mônica.

Here's a image I got from google:

They were 13 x 21 cm in size.

At the time, there was no internet and things like that so must people assumed that they were like that. Only at the end of the 90s that we started to get properly sized comic books. There was also some weird stuff with continuity in the late 80s because a lot of books around here were very late. If I'm not mistaken, they changed some stuff from Secret Wars because of that.

Let me see if I can find an article about it ;)

EDIT: God Damn, I hate CBR new style. Here is a web cache version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ds-revealed-231/+&cd=2&hl=pt-BR&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pressures to release Secret Wars in Brazil led to some interesting editing in the Brazilian edition of Secret Wars.

As you might notice, the edits weren’t always consistent (they do not always remember to change Wolverine’s costume back to his old costume), but what they did do was for certain changes (Storm’s mohawk hair, Professor X walking and Spider-Man’s black costume), they had the Beyonder transform them into that new form and then, at the end of the series, so as to not mess up the continuity of the Marvel reprints at the time, they all changed back!

Owzers

Roman Reigns has a chance to be wwe universal champ tonight. First Roman gets his title back, then Trump gets his country back.

Mafro

what's your favorite ongoing?

Ultimates, Black Panther and Lazarus.

Bonus question, favourite completed runs: Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF and Avengers/New Avengers. Reminder's Uncanny X-Force as well.

who is your favorite artist?

Esad Ribic, Daniel Acuna, Jerome Opena.

favorite writer?

Of all time? Jonathan Hickman. Currently? Ta-Nehisi Coates

Why do you read comics?
My big brother used to buy X-Men comics and I got into them through that, as well as the 90s cartoon.

It's kind of refreshing, right?

They took me to the light. A beautiful lie.

Nah, I know what you mean man. I like to go to some sites and they go in depth and get critical, and you need that, or but it's nice to go somewhere sometimes and they seem to just about like everything. I mean, if I just read comics and wrote about them all day, I'd probably love em all t-

Wait.

smisk

Black Pather #4-5

These last couple issues have really re-invigorated my interest in this book. It's a bit of a slow burn at first, but is starting to pick up a little more, Coates' writing is also beginning to click with me more. He's really an amazing writer, and does a good job at incorporating politica/social issues without it feeling preachy. There's really no one in comics quite like him.

Star Wars #22

This was a great little self contained story about the Alliance capturing a Star Destroyer. I assume the stormtrooper squad we saw in #21 is gonna try to come take it back? The art wasn't quite as strong this issue but I continue to really enjoy this series.

Favorite ongoing
Squirrel Girl and Deadly Class. Also very early in both but I dig Snotgirl and The Fix too.

I'm also throwing in BPRD. I'm only at the very beginning of Hell on Earth but it's still ongoing and I'm sure it's still good. One of my favorites period.

Favorite Completed Runs
Doom Patrol, Hellboy, Power Girl: Power Trip, Miller's Daredevil, Batman Inc. I quite enjoy Love and Rockets too

For original graphic novels, I really like You Are Here, Megahex, and, still fresh in my mind but, King City too.

Favorite Artists
Mike Mignola, Amanda Conner, Paul Pope, Jaime Hernandez, David Aja, Annie Wu, Chris Samnee, Brandon Graham, Joelle Jones, Jack Kirby, Guy Davis, Duncan Fegredo... I could go on forever.

Favorite writers
Grant Morrison, Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Rick Remender, and Matt Fraction. Also feeling Peter Milligan before he became bad a lot.

Aizo

Banned
Will September have more notable releases? I always looked forward to seeing the 6 things to be aware of by each publisher.

I'm also throwing in BPRD. I'm only at the very beginning of Hell on Earth but it's still ongoing and I'm sure it's still good. One of my favorites period.

Yesssssss. It is so good man. I enjoyed Plague Of Frogs alot, but Hell On Earth is so freaking good, it blows it out the water. It just gets better and better. I'm one volume behind right now, but it's just awesome, the places it goes...wait til you get to the stuff with Harren on pencils. If you read Rumble, you'll see the genesis of it in there.

Aizo

Banned
I'm surprised you'd list Remender among your favorite writers. I like Deadly Class and Uncanny X-Force a lot, but he's very inconsistent. Tokyo Ghost is probably his worst writing (beautiful comic, though), and Low, although entertaining has been going downhill, and the dialogue has never been strong. His dialogue in general isn't that good.

Top Bottom