• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Owzers

Uncanny Inhumans #5 is the kind of comic that makes me not want to read comics, especially if i had paid $3.99 or 2.39 for it at dcbs, just a trash book that will be forgotten as soon as the next relaunch happens.

Sandfox

MU_2.jpg
This is definitely an X-book.

smisk

Just looked up Dysart's Unknown Soldier run after seeing it mentioned a few pages back, and strangely enough only the first 6 issues are on Comixology. Though all the volumes are on IST for pretty cheap so I might pick it up from there.

tim1138

Favorite ongoing
I Hate Fairyland, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Green Arrow

Favorite Completed Runs
Planetary, The Fourth World, Animal Man (Morrison), Claremont Uncanny X-Men, Manhattan Projects

Favorite Artists
Jack Kirby, Nick Pitarra, Ryan Browne, Frank Quitely, Chris Burnham

Favorite writers
Jack Kirby, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Warren Ellis, Chris Claremont

Can I participate in the quiz fun? :p

what's your favorite ongoing?
I'm not into any ongoings. If I was, it would to be digital only. I do buy the Brazilian edition of some comics though (Spider Man and Secret Wars montlhys only, then I'm stopping once and for all).

who is your favorite artist?
Hard to say. Coipel and Capullo I guess.

favorite writer?
Hickman on the comics side. But, I'm not gonna lie, I'm more a manga guy. So I would go with Togashi (YuYu Hakusho and HxH) and Araki (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)

Why do you read comics?
I actually only want to tell this story.

You see, my father is a big comics fan. And he was even before I was born. He and my uncle used to be subscribers of Marvel Comics in Brazil (at that time, they were published by Abril in size smaller than the one used on the US). So, as a child, I always saw ton of Spider-Man and X-Men comics.

But, that was the 90s. And the 90s were fucking confusing. Opening up a Spider-Man comic to be greeted with clones and weird shenanigans when your only contact before was the cartoon is certainly not the best way to get into comics. So, I didn't really read those and kept only reading Turma da Mônica (a Brazilian all-ages comic).

Even so, comics were always there so I always took a peek. Then, after Onslaught my father stopped reading them because he was tired of that shit. That was also when manga started to come around here and I decided to buy Dragon Ball. We were both hooked right into it.

We only read manga for a long time and only came back to comics at 2006ish right when Civil War was wrapping up. And then, we subscribed to Marvel (for 3 years).

Right now, we buy more mangas than comics (again). And I'm more up to what is happening since my father didn't really wrap his head around the concept of digital comics (he doesn't like to read then in English either). We're probably going to stop buying the monthly titles after Secret Wars and stick to the trades that are finally being released around here in a steady pace.

So, it's all my father's fault. Thank you dad.

Sheriff of Baghdad

Bonus question, favourite completed runs:
Criminal by Brubaker and Phillips
The Invisibles
Casanova
Air by G Willow Wilson (even if the ending was rushed)
JSA by Johns

Edit Current Cliff Chiang
All-time: Darwyn Cooke

favorite writer?
Morrison

Why do you read comics?

Having the artists vision of the scene laid out really draws me into the story. Also comics relax me when things are stressful in ways that normal novels don't

Sandfox

And riiiiiight when you hit exactly why S3 of Angel is the worst one...

Day just went kablooey

he-cant-keep-getting-away-with-it.gif
Outside of GAF people seem to think Uncanny is the best X book lol.

I'm really curious to see what this is going to be given how Marvel is teasing it and it has multiple artists. I'm guessing it will be an important tie-in book for IvX or something, but Marvel only tends to do teasers this long for the stuff they deem big.

I'm really curious to see what this is going to be given how Marvel is teasing it and it has multiple artists. I'm guessing it will be an important tie-in book for IvX or something, but Marvel only tends to do teasers this long for the stuff they deem big.

Going from McNiven to Land is going to be something

Just looked up Dysart's Unknown Soldier run after seeing it mentioned a few pages back, and strangely enough only the first 6 issues are on Comixology. Though all the volumes are on IST for pretty cheap so I might pick it up from there.

It is absolutely epic man, really eye opening stuff. The trades are really nice too, the paper they used, I don't know what it is, but it's so nice. Really really recommend it.

It's Monday! You know what that means!

If you guessed that it's time to read comics, then you were right!

Silly PsychBat. It's never time to read comics.

so i can play her more. Enjoy the blizzard ult that is as large as the entire point.

oh, is that all? Let me know when they give her icicle gun a rapid-fire mode. I bet that's coming next.

This is definitely an X-book.

Nah, man. I'm telling you guys it's about the lost civilization of Mu.

That's bizarre. It was a good run, definitely check it out. Underrated book right there.

Introducing the first afro-latina Puerto Rican superhero:

She's created to bring awareness of PR's current debt crises.

oh, look. It's some 3rd-rate MAC.

Outside of GAF people seem to think Uncanny is the best X book lol.

Uncanny is the worst book. A terribly recycled plot that's basically nonsense, Land's art is mediocre at best and usually just bad. Lashley's art was enjoyable, but like I said that entire arc's writing was pure nonsense. The team has average chemistry, again, at best.

Extraordinary, '92, and All-New are all better than it by a lot.

Sandfox

Uncanny is the worst book. A terribly recycled plot that's basically nonsense, Land's art is mediocre at best and usually just bad. Lashley's art was enjoyable, but like I said that entire arc's writing was pure nonsense. The team has average chemistry, again, at best.

Extraordinary, '92, and All-New are all better than it by a lot.

I'm not saying I agree with them, but that seems to be the prevailing opinion for whatever reason.

Silly PsychBat. It's never time to read comics.

oh, is that all? Let me know when they give her icicle gun a rapid-fire mode. I bet that's coming next.

Nah, man. I'm telling you guys it's about the lost civilization of Mu.

That's bizarre. It was a good run, definitely check it out. Underrated book right there.

oh, look. It's some 3rd-rate MAC.
The X-Men are moving to Mu!

Why do you read comics?
I actually only want to tell this story.

Haha brilliant, I liked this. Funny thing is, the first spiderman comic I ever got was a clone saga issue, right at the beginning. I ate up as a kid though, I even vaguely remember thinking spidercide was a cool villian.

Great idea. I'll post mine when I get the list on Wednesday.

I mean, I'm sure once I've been around a while again it'll be easier, but I'm literally always reading things you guys all say then scrolling back pages trying to get a track on what you read, like, don't like haha.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
(at that time, they were published by Abril in size smaller than the one used on the US).

Well, learn something new every day. Why were they published in a smaller size, tho?

I mean, I'm sure once I've been around a while again it'll be easier, but I'm literally always reading things you guys all say then scrolling back pages trying to get a track on what you read, like, don't like haha.

I'm a junior, too. So this would be cool to see, as well.

And you are killing me in posts, 206 to 66, so you'll get a better understanding much quicker.

Dusknoir

I only started reading comics regularly so I don't have a favorite artist or writer yet.

Berserk, JoJo(I'm on Part 5), Superman and Wonder Woman

Favorite complete runs?
Midnighter, Injustice Year one, John's Aquaman, Burnside Batgirl

Why I started reading comics?
I watched Young Justice for 9th time then DC'c Rebirth happened. I was thirsty for super hero cartoons so I started reading comics.

I really need to start reading Marvel but I need to get a job first.

VanWinkle

Is the stuff within Amazing Spider-Man OHC Vol. 2 the end of the run up to ANAD?

Here's what's included in it: Amazing Spider-Man 7-18, Superior Spider-Man 32-33, Free Comic Book Day 2014 (Guardians of the Galaxy) 1 (Spider-Man story)

Also, is ANAD a direction continuation?

Yay people doing favorites lets see, just going to put in the current stuff I like.

Archie

Declan Shalvey

favorite writer?
Jonathan Hickman

Why do you read comics?
My reason isn't too deep, my first comic was Ultimate Spider-Man #1 back in 2000 and I haven't stopped reading since.

Sandfox

Is the stuff within Amazing Spider-Man OHC Vol. 2 the end of the run up to ANAD?

Here's what's included in it: Amazing Spider-Man 7-18, Superior Spider-Man 32-33, Free Comic Book Day 2014 (Guardians of the Galaxy) 1 (Spider-Man story)

Also, is ANAD a direction continuation?

Yes to both.

I'm a junior, too. So this would be cool to see, as well.

And you are killing me in posts, 206 to 66, so you'll get a better understanding much quicker.

Haha well I knew some people well, but there's a good turnover in here I guess, some of people I remember or not really posting much, some people gone completely, but a whoooole bunch of new folk, and a lot of the books out now are different so in terms of current stuff, I'm a bit headless what everyone is into.

As for posts, I just like shooting the shit haha and I have a lot of free time to post in a way, too much time haha. My last account has 3000 odd posts and most of them had been in comicsgaf as well.

Malyse

(Why this not in OP?)

Harley Quinn/The Unbelievable Gwenpool/A-Force
In the brightest timeline: Runaways; Young Avengers; America and Molly punch the Marvel Universe; Kamala, Doreen, and Gwen Poole get superhero selfies and autographs; Valeria's adventures in babysitting with Lucy Rand and Danielle Cage

Gurihiru by a lot.

favorite writer?
Dennis Hopeless and Kelly Thompson

Why do you read comics?
Research

Sadist

Wait Bun and Land? Why.gif

What's your favorite ongoing?
Walking Dead/Vision/Captain America Sam Wilson/Power Man & Iron Fist

Bonus question, favourite completed runs
Y The Last Man, Astonishing X-Men (Whedon), Ultimate Spider-Man (Bendis) and Avengers (Hickman)

Who is your favorite artist?
Acuna/Pichelli and others I can't name

Favorite writer?
Definitely Hickman. He made me care about the Fantastic Four, that's a huge plus. His Avengers is amazing too. Getting into the classic stuff now as well and I'm really digging Claremont.

VanWinkle

So I went ahead and bought the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy omni. I was able to get it for $40 from someone because Marvel did a bad guy move. For anybody who doesn't know, they released this book like three months ago. Then, about a month ago, they solicited three huge cosmic omnis, that contain, among other things, THIS WHOLE RUN. In a much more complete format. Can't believe they did that.

Anyway, I don't think my budget would allow me to buy those three $125 cover price omnis, not to mention a crucial part of their cosmic line - Annihilation - is horribly out of print and hasn't been re-solicited along with this other stuff. So I bought this book cheap. I hope it at least has a summary page or something that will allow me to read this coherently without feeling lost. Maybe I'll get the War of Kings OHC too since it apparently overlaps with that a lot.

So I went ahead and bought the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy omni. I was able to get it for $40 from someone because Marvel did a bad guy move. For anybody who doesn't know, they released this book like three months ago. Then, about a month ago, they solicited three huge cosmic omnis, that contain, among other things, THIS WHOLE RUN. In a much more complete format. Can't believe they did that.

Anyway, I don't think my budget would allow me to buy those three $125 cover price omnis, not to mention a crucial part of their cosmic line - Annihilation - is horribly out of print and hasn't been re-solicited along with this other stuff. So I bought this book cheap. I hope it at least has a summary page or something that will allow me to read this coherently without feeling lost. Maybe I'll get the War of Kings OHC too since it apparently overlaps with that a lot.
I read it on its own without feeling lost. You should be fine.

I don't know. I think almost everyone could see that coming for a couple of years now. Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest pretty much followed the marvel comic reading list posted everywhere.

My only disappointment was that the GOTG omnibus didn't include Annihilation Conquest Star-Lord.

I went with the GOTG omni too. Favourite part of the whole run. The rest has a little too much mediocre stuff/filler thrown in.

Supergirl and Hellcat

Bandette when it comes out.

Oh and if I'm cheating also Future Quest, Scooby Doo Apocalypse, and Wacky Raceland

I'm really behind on Jem so that could be up there still...

Bonus question favorite completed runs:

Strangers in Paradise, Peter David Supergirl, Stephanie Brown Batgirl, Chris Claremont X-men, Grant Morrison Batman/and Robin/Inc, Mark Waid and Geoff Johns Flash, Chuck Dixon Batbooks, Fables, Dan Slott She Hulk, Locke and Key, Kabuki, Giffen JLI, Miller/Bendis/Waid Daredevil, Priest Black Panther, Sandman

Chris Bachalo, Terry Moore, Colleen Coover, Carmine Infantino, Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Conner, Steve Lieber

favorite writer?

Peter David, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Terry Moore, Geoff Johns, Paul Dini, Mike Carey, Mark Waid

Why do you read comics?

Maybe I probably put too much. Its hard to narrow down and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I've been reading a long time..

Top Bottom