• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

The Vision #10
I don't what else to say other than what I always say about Vision: unsettling and extremely good. Also confused as to
why he can't revive Vin.

Tbh, it's pretty straightforward; unlike a regular program, an actual intelligence is going to be built on a number of factors that you can't necessarily exactly replicate. He could
create another boy, make it look like Vin, maybe even get the personality and memories close, but it wouldn't be Vin
, and frankly, would be pretty damn twisted.

JIs6PoU.jpg

Owzers

Oops, just noticed that I got an invitation from Owsers to play Overwatch quite a while ago. That's my bad.

I also submitted a request to join to the ComicsGaf community, if someone still checks that.

The last person who didn't accept my invite was Messi, you can see how that went. I started playing these last two nights again despite not being thattttttt interested until season two starts and we get the balance updates bringing Mercy and Mei more power.

Going back and reading the first arc of Action Comics in a full chunk really moved it up in my eyes. It was still a little slow and really offered no answers, but it all came together pretty well for me with the last issue.

Reading it all together made the Oz stuff during each issue less dumb. You can really see that this was his plan the whole time but not really seeing what he actually meant until the end. Stuff like him saying that Superman needs to think to solve this problem. He means he needs to remember the phantom zone gun. Or how he's watching Lois and Jon watch Superman on the TV he mentions it's starting to come together, I think it's meaning he knows John is going to scream leading to Doomsday leaving Metropolis. Because up to that point it seemed like Superman was perfectly fine just fighting to his death all over again. But Doomsday going after Jon changes the situation and probably changes how Superman thinks about the situation. Even up to the point of Oz sending his troops in the last issue it seems like it was put in place just to remind Superman of his Phantom Zone gun-thing.

It's not all handled amazingly and I still wouldn't call this a great book because of how much it dragged, but the last issue followed by a re-read really put it in a different perspective for me.

Basically:

• Don't know jack about MMA

lol

I also read a lot about the Japanese and Singaporean MMA scenes, but ended up completely fictionalizing them because it made more sense for the story.

Well I guess it would have been awkward having Babs take steriods. Although I guess, she would have to have navigated that anyway if she'd been in America, she just would have got busted for it :L

EDIT: Huh. I hadn't actually read any of the batgirl previews...really not a fan of some of that dialogue Also, that derp face on the third set of panels hahah

Remender's Deadpool is by far my favorite Deadpool.

His is a joy to read. Which I can't say for most other iterations.
X-Force rules. The whole Dark Angel arc was just incredible. I was super impressed when I first read it. Remender writes Deadpool really well in it especially, he's a big highlight of the book throughout.

so hung over

who has a Sunday wedding?

might need to take a PTO and read comics* in bed all day

*comics list:

I had to call in sick too. But still had to wake up at 5:00 and join a couple of unmissable meetings. -_-

Now it's time for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhUkGIsKvn0

Basically:

• Don't know jack about MMA
  • Asia is a cool setting and likes schoolgirls
  • Kai is sexy and fuck and wants them to bang,
    but not really
  • Rafa is a godtier artist and will be missed after this story arc

YsFaEJz.png

Remender's Deadpool is by far my favorite Deadpool.

His is a joy to read. Which I can't say for most other iterations.

X-Force Deadpool struck a tricky balance; Wade's a funny guy, and he's nuts, but there's an underlying level of tragedy and, weirdly, empathy to the character. Joe Kelly Deadpool had it, Remender got it, but not a lot of other authors managed to have it during a full run.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
The last person who didn't accept my invite was Messi, you can see how that went. I started playing these last two nights again despite not being thattttttt interested until season two starts and we get the balance updates bringing Mercy and Mei more power.

I'm shaking in my boots. But I haven't played that gMe in a while either. I didn't do great in my season placement matches, and it's so hard to fight your way up in the ranks that it drove me back to quick matches, which just had 3 Anas on each team. (She'd just come out)

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Dr.Strange #4-5 - The Empirikul make their move and its...scary. Aaron the goat actually creating a nice sense of dread with this story, the way he describes magic and uses it to tell a story is fantastic, it really feels like a otherworldly thing. And what else is there to say about Bachalo? This book man...

Agree with everything; the book is amazing. But Bachalo's drawings of hands are completely awful. Once I noticed it, I couldn't stop seeing it.

EDIT: Oh, the best thing about the Scarlet Witch series was the maze panel layouts of issue #2. Mostly a boring book, but that was fantastic.

Am I the only one who doesn't care for a lot of the more popular classic X-Men?

Beast? Terrible
Angel? Terrible
Xavier? Glad he's gone
Ice Man? Nobody knows what to do with him
Wolverine? Got milked dry and the current status quo is better
Storm? She keeps getting written opposite of characters I support/like more

I can take or leave characters like Cyclops and Jean.
I love Beast, Cyke, and Storm. I used to love Logan, but he's overplayed.

Angel and Jean have the same problem: they both had amazing character storylines that were both basically the same thing (Archangel and Dark Phoenix) and now no one knows what to do with those characters UNLESS they're doing those storylines. So every time those characters are brought in and have a major focus, either the Phoenix or Archangel persona is going to come up.

Iceman is boring. Straight up. Being gay is the most interesting thing to happen to the character in years. Only they haven't done much with him other than go, "It's weird I like guys now. Need some adjustment time. Okay now I'm adjusted. Where the men at?"
I dont like Sandfox anymore, BK youre back on top
tumblr_n7pbnghIMr1rl4zibo2_250.gif

Yes. This one where Nimrod put a town in a bubble, X-Force was also involved.
That was the end of Second Coming. It wasn't a town, it was Utopia plus the San Francisco Bay. It also occurred before Remender's X-Force, as it lead to Cyclops disbanding the initial X-Force. Logan formed Remender's without Cyclops' knowledge.
Can we all agree that Miles has no chance with Kamala and should hook up with that Danica girl?
She'll get with Sam Alexander and like it!
Tbh, it's pretty straightforward; unlike a regular program, an actual intelligence is going to be built on a number of factors that you can't necessarily exactly replicate. He could
create another boy, make it look like Vin, maybe even get the personality and memories close, but it wouldn't be Vin
, and frankly, would be pretty damn twisted.
I'm not saying it would be a perfect replica, but it would be close. Weren't they uploading their memories as backups? Mostly I think it would be an interesting story point, but there's only two issues left.
any good comics featuring Valkyrie?

Bunn's Fearless Defenders has her and Misty Knight as the two main characters. Dani Moonstar and Hippolyta are there as well.

too bad it wasn't good

ellis secret avengers was tho, she was the one always ready to go headfirst

That's it. I was dropping away from marvel around the dark reign/siege era stuff, I didn't read either but that's definitely correct, bru's run was the fail, ellis was the win. I pretty much finished with bru at the end of his first cap series and the winter soldier series, he lost it a bit at the end there with eh other stuff ge was doing. The mcniven/davis cap series was nasty. That whole first cap run straight into the winter soldier series though, god damn.

Why the fuck are they buffing the most evil character in the game?

So is supergirl supposed to be good?

talking about the rebirth issue.

It's weird... I definitely wouldn't say good, but I wouldn't say bad? It's just kind of weird. Kind of fun just seems like they're trying too hard to make it like the show and it ends up making all kinds of continuity being confusing as hell.

Saga is a book I enjoy the hell out of reading but when I'm not reading it, it never crosses my mind. I could probably completely forget it without realizing.

TheFlow

Banned
This is Amazing, as posted earlier by a fellow comic-gaf member.

Low #16 art

Saga is a book I enjoy the hell out of reading but when I'm not reading it, it never crosses my mind. I could probably completely forget it without realizing.
not for me. I have a huge hard on for Saga. One of the few books where I read the extra stuff at the end.

plus the fact that it is 2.99 <3.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm excited for you guys. Looking forward do getting my mitts on volume 6 too

aye. haven't had the chance to even welcome you proper.

Based on your avatar I can tell you are a Mignola fan.

what's your favorite ongoing?

who is your favorite artist?

favorite writer?

Why do you read comics?

sorry guys for the double post.

not for me. I have a huge hard on for Saga. One of the few books where I read the extra stuff at the end.

plus the fact that it is 2.99 <3.

It's nothing against Saga, I just seem to be this way for just about all Image or non hero comics. I have to read em all in one go or in quick succession or I just lose track. I have so many trades that I just barely remember anything and are just waiting for a re-read. Non-hero stuff is enjoyable but just doesn't stick with me.

TheFlow

Banned
It's nothing against Saga, I just seem to be this way for just about all Image or non hero comics. I have to read em all in one go or in quick succession or I just lose track. I have so many trades that I just barely remember anything and are just waiting for a re-read. Non-hero stuff is enjoyable but just doesn't stick with me.

I feel yah, the quality of comics all around is vast, so most of the time I don't stop reading a series because it sucks but because I can't get to it atm. Like I am just now getting back to low after 4 months.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so MU usually puts osme old stuff up that has something to do with...something going on. Iron Fist last 2 weeks to go with the Iron Fist netflix trailer one assumes, Luke Cage this week to go with the Cage show soon etc...

...if they dont finally put the missing Thunderbolts issues when the current Thunderbolts book hits MU soon, Im gonna throw such a hissy fit.

Im talking full blown tantrum. I wont eat my dinner, no sir. I will sit in that corner, and I WILL pout. You'll see Marvel!

aye. haven't had the chance to even welcome you proper.

with a test

tumblr_n6vjvpOZ8g1tbmc5ho3_500.gif

I AM a mignola fan.

what's your favorite ongoing?

This one's a bit difficult, depends what I'm reading at the time, honestly. I consistently go gaga for whatever Mignola-verse thing is out, and since that's like 5 books at a time and a bit of a cheat, I will say I REALLY enjoy Lazarus & Southern Bastards
too.

Bonus question, favourite completed runs: Sweet Tooth, Locke & Key, Scalped, Y the Last Man, Unknown Soldier. Fell.

who is your favorite artist?

I love Mig. James Harren. Jason Latour. Gabriel Ba & Fabio Moon. Kaare Andrews. Darwyn Cooke.

favorite writer?

Stephen King (cheated there, not a comics writer)

Mignola, Jason Aaron, Ed Brubaker, Jeff Lemire, Warren Ellis, Scott Snyder

Why do you read comics?

I just really enjoy fiction, especially crime and horror, and comics is a special place where art gets to convey as much of the story as the writing does. Unique things can be done with it. I like spending a lot of money. I like using all the space on my shelves. I LIKE SEEING PEOPLE PUNCH EACH OTHER REAL HARD.

Haha okay, so I didn't answer one question with a definitive one answer, I;m not good at favourites BUT I bet you got a good idea of what I like there. I like this though, I feel like everyone should do one. Especially you, Flow, since I do not remember you from last time I was here (and a quick check of your account says you made your account almost exactly when my old account gave up the goat).

Top Bottom