• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Mafro

First Comic?
Can't remember the exact one but it was an issue of a Wolverine Solo series in the mid 90s. He was running about with Jubilee avoiding Sentinels

Favorite Character?
Dr Doom or Black Panther.

Favorite Scene?
It would be one from Hickman's Fantastic Four or Avengers runs. So many to chose from but probably Doom snapping Cyclops' neck in Secret Wars because he's a dick and had it coming for years

2gDIBVn.jpg

Book that almost made you quit comics?
Not a singular book but the post-Secret Wars relaunch has been pretty grim in terms of quality and I almost just stopped bothering with it.

kmfdmpig

First Comic?

Daredevil #270, September 1989. Written by Ann Fucking Nocenti. $1 American dollar, that has lead to thousands of others.

I had that issue. It's hard to believe now, but that Nocenti run was solid, and I remember quite liking most of the Daredevil issues at the time, although to be fair I was 13, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up now.

Hagi

Jesus Christ that swerve in Invincible volume 3 is amazing. Why did I never think to start this before? Good thing I have like 18 more volumes to read.

Talking about first comics made me try to find what mine was as I could remember what it was about but not the name.

Zen the Intergalactic Ninja:
715935.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have this issue in a pop up holographic cover somewhere.

I remember Zen. He had a whole toy line and everything when I was a kid.

Apparently also had an NES game. This 1994 run seems like it was a reboot in some way.

I swear when I picked up that book the comic shop I was at had an artist doing a cover for a Tomb Raider comic but I don't see a comic until 99 and none of the covers look like I remember. Maybe I'm thinking of a Witchblade cover? Weird just remembering my first comic is bringing back memories for an entire visit to a comic shop.

tim1138

More superheroes need to incorporate their code name into their catch phrase.

(I'm counting on Slayven or JC to have immediate access to the X-Factor panel where he says "Don't cry foul, JUST CRY HAVOK!" as my Google skills have failed me)

Aizo

Banned
Favourite Ongoing

Detective Comics, Nightwing, Doctor Strange, Walking Dead, Wytches, Sex Criminals
Hold up. When I was visiting the US, my comic book store told me that Wytches was not going to continue. There's going to be more??

Apparently also had an NES game. This 1994 run seems like it was a reboot in some way.

I swear when I picked up that book the comic shop I was at had an artist doing a cover for a Tomb Raider comic but I don't see a comic until 99 and none of the covers look like I remember. Maybe I'm thinking of a Witchblade cover? Weird just remembering my first comic is bringing back memories for an entire visit to a comic shop.

I think there was literally a tomb raider/witchblade crossover comic haha, but even that wasn't until 97 I think.

I never owned Zen but I remember the ads in other comics haha.

Hold up. When I was visiting the US, my comic book store told me that Wytches was not going to continue. There's going to be more??

Pretty sure there's going to be more, but Snyder's independent work is sloooow releasing right now, AmVamp's schedule has been a trial the last year or so. I'm not sure he's completed any scripts for Jock to work on yet. Unless it starts in December, which I doubt, you won't see it until; 2017. He has his Lemire drawn book up next at Image.

Aizo

Banned
I don't know that I'm qualified to really answer this, because I didn't start reading American comics again really until last year. Took about a 10 year break for the most part. I'd like to do this again in a few months, when I'm sure I will have a different perspective after getting through some stuff I'm really looking forward to reading.

Favourite Ongoing
Western: Birthright, Giant Days, East of West, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly, Southern Bastards, Saga (less so lately)

Japanese: Berserk, Otoyomegatari, Vinland Saga, Hunter X Hunter, One Piece (until the time skip)

Favourite Completed Runs
Western: Scott Pilgrim, Essex County, Watchmen, first couple trades of Geoff Johns' Teen Titans (but this is nostalgia. I haven't read it in 10 or 12 years), New 52 Batman, Astonishing X-Men or... some arc I don't remember from when I was a child.

Japanese: Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection, Solanin, GTO, Eyeshield 21, Shonan Junai Gumi, Sanctuary, Homonculus, Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo (Case Files)

Favourite Artists
Western: (I'm not too familiar with the names) Jock, Emma Rios, Fiona Staples

Japanese: Miura Kentarou, Inoue Takahiko, Murata Yuusuke, Hirohiko Araki

Favourite Writers
Western: Warren Ellis, Jonathan Hickman, Frank Miller, John Allison, Brian Lee O'Malley

Japanese: Itou Junji, Miura Kentarou, Hirokane Kenshi, Kago Shintarou, Matsumoto Taiyou

First Comic?
Western: First one I read was probably a random Spider-Man or X-Men one. First one I really got into was either Uncanny Xmen or Teen Titans.

Japanese: Kindaichi and Doraemon were given to me as a child from a Japanese exchange student. That's when I first discovered manga.

Favorite Character?
Western: Gambit when I was a kid... Maybe Esther from Giant Days or Batman? No clue on this one. I did always love Spider-Man...
Japanese: Onizuka Eikichi was when I was younger... Maybe Thorfinn or Guts now?

Favorite Scene?
I don't think I can answer this one.
Gon's transformation in Hunter X Hunter... Burning the boat in One Piece... Final game in Eyeshield... Thorfinn's failed revenge in Vinland Saga... I'm not good at this.

I kind of did quit comics, though. It was not a particular comic, but the fact that I was a child and didn't understand all the crossovers and content missing from what I was reading in both Marvel and DC things. Infinite Crisis confused elementary school me.

I was attracted to the way Japanese comics had a consistent writer and artist, lacked the baggage of a connected universe or events, and the consistent release schedule (for the most part). Since being introduced to Image, though, I love Japanese and Western comics equally (and for completely different reasons).

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i bought the first 9 books of Eyeshield 21 and loved it.

is there some place i can buy the whole thing digitally and read it on my iPad?

Aizo

Banned

I wish I could tell you, but I read it physically. It's a really fun series. I wish it never ended. Murata's art is incredible, so that adds tons to it.

If your local libraries have some sort of system where you can order books from other libraries, that would be my recommendation to you.

jon bones

I wish I could tell you, but I read it physically. It's a really fun series. I wish it never ended. Murata's art is incredible, so that adds tons to it.

If your local libraries have some sort of system where you can order books from other libraries, that would be my recommendation to you.

thanks, maybe i'll give that a shot. had my NFL fantasy draft last night and i am READY for some god damned football.

Owzers

Walking Dead and Invincible have always kept me from quitting comics despite Marvel and DC's best efforts to turn me away from the medium.

TheFlow

Banned

MY FAVORITE COMPLETED MANGA! but forreal I read Eyeshield 21 every year because it is so motivating and kickass.

I had a sena avatar when I first joined.

check Cmx, and viz online.

X-Force by Rick Remender

Damn, the final execution saga was great. Loved the ending. And I absolutely loved the final issue of the series. Both that one exists, which is rare, and because it was done so well.

Remender did great work with the whole cast but Deadpool and Fantomex were standouts.

Remender is moving up my favorite author list really damn quickly.

I also started Uncanny Avengers. Just read the first issue. Scarlet Witch was only in like 3 panels, but she only needed 1 to be completely insufferable.

First Comic?
G.I. Joe #2

Favorite Character?
LONGSHOT LONGSHOT LONGSHOT

Favorite Scene?
UGGGHHHHH
Nigh impossible to pick just one, but my mind always goes back to this, the most poingnant and beautiful moment in comics history, "Don't ever stop yelling at me.":
Runner ups:
Beak and Angel in the woods.
This shit right here:
That Aaron Ghost Rider issue that ends with all four antagonists headed for each other in one intersection
The last page of 100 Bullets
Cerebus climbing up the tower in the middle of Church and State ("GO AWAY.")
City demolishing in Akira
Fantomex takes matters into his own hands in Uncanny X-Force
Deadly Class goes to the fair
Thor's granddaughters kick dick
All 8 last pages of Paper Girls issues so far
Superman and Regan in All Star #10
And who could forget...Ratboy:

I've never even dreamed of it, but I have to admit, I've been reading all this Middle Grade fiction the past two weeks to help with a project I'm working on and this shit is so good I've read like two comics since and deleted so much stuff off my iPad. No more time for "Just Okay" comics.

Supergirl Rebirth #1
Weird issue. Was hoping for some Midnighter-esque "I love beating the fuck outta bad guys" type stuff. Kara's a different character though. I might check out the next issue. Just a weird start to the series.
This seems like a good idea, it's been ages since I read Messiah Complex and I could do with some classic X-men schadenfreude. I don't know if it's any good but I've been meaning to pick up Age of X as well.
I have Age of X and it's extremely good. Love it.

So the War of Kings omnibus is being released November 2016 and the War of Kings Prelude omnibus is being released April 2017.

Makes sense.
When is the next gotg movie out? Guessing they want all the omnis out before then no matter the order. When the first movie came out DnA volumes and issues sold out or became bestsellers on CMX while Bendis' was mostly left alone so they probably know not to push the new volumes when they have a bunch of older ones on most recommended and reading lists.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
When is the next gotg movie out? Guessing they want all the omnis out before then no matter the order. When the first movie came out DnA volumes and issues sold out or became bestsellers on CMX while Bendis' was mostly left alone so they probably know not to push the new volumes when they have a bunch of older ones on most recommended and reading lists.

Next May.

TheFlow

Banned
Ok guys remember when I started the newcomers questions with donnie yesterday? Well not only did you guys take it out of hand but aizo started it in the manga thread.

Crazy how fast that caught on

It really is one of the most consistently fun reads of something over 10 volumes. It never feels dull or directionless.

It sorta went off the rails a bit towards the end, but even the final tournament arc ended on a really high note.

Ok guys remember when I started the newcomers questions with donnie yesterday? Well not only did you guys take it out of hand but aizo started it in the manga thread.

#HumbleBrag#ButNotSoHumbleBrag

Owzers

You've contributed to more posts in a thread about manga and people are talking about humble bragging.

MANGA.

Nah I forgot about it already, do you want me to do the quiz again ;) haha it has caused a lot of interesting discussion though and finding things out about people, little stories.

I want to know what Birdie's been reading now. I hope you've been reading diary of a wimpy kid, that shit is hot in my kids class and they're all 8-9. I think that's middle grade?

Also, I don't know how many of you guys have kids or whatever, although these quiz things have helped estimate people's ages haha, but Fuuuuuck term time because Fuuuuuck homework after school each day. He's only been back a week and a half and this shit is stressing me out.

TheFlow

Banned
Has anyone a link to the original questions? I am to lazy to remove the answers on my phone

what's your favorite ongoing?

who is your favorite artist?

favorite writer?

Why do you read comics?

Nah I forgot about it already, do you want me to do the quiz again ;) haha it has caused a lot of interesting discussion though and finding things out about people, little stories.

I want to know what Birdie's been reading now. I hope you've been reading diary of a wimpy kid, that shit is hot in my kids class and they're all 8-9. I think that's middle grade?

Also, I don't know how many of you guys have kids or whatever, although these quiz things have helped estimate people's ages haha, but Fuuuuuck term time because Fuuuuuck homework after school each day. He's only been back a week and a half and this shit is stressing me out.
yea everybody came out the woodwork to show their support for Remender <3.

Middle grade skews a smidge older, 9-12.

Current faves are the WIldwood series and The Cold Cereal Trilogy, both imaginative and also happen to be fantastically illustrated.

TheFlow

Banned
watched the intro to Civil War again

picked up Waid's Black Widow #1 - is this ongoing or will it end soon?

also had to change my fantasy football avatar

Bruh it is my first doing it this year, and I ended up picking 3 QB for my first picks.

Nobody told me that was a bad idea lol. I ended up trading Rodgers.

I got Cam Newton as my main, and Brady on the bench. hoping they are enough to get me in the top 3.

jon bones

Bruh it is my first doing it this year, and I ended up picking 3 QB for my first picks.

Nobody told me that was a bad idea lol. I ended up trading Rodgers.

I got Cam Newton as my main, and Brady on the bench. hoping they are enough to get me in the top 3.

next time consult comicGAF beforehand!

picking up 3 QBs is lunacy lol

cam / brady is a pretty terrific 1-2 punch.

how many people are in your league? what does the rest of your line up look like? post em!

Middle grade skews a smidge older, 9-12.

Current faves are the WIldwood series and The Cold Cereal Trilogy, both imaginative and also happen to be fantastically illustrated.

Ah right I gotcha man, I'm super ignorant how that stuff translates haha. I'll need to hunt those out, this is the year he's bee a super active reader. Lots of comics I bought him last year are actually being read, and I'm extremely willing to encourage this stuff. Almost none of the kids he knows read anything at all as leisure. Shame we dont have a comic culture for comics here, they are a perfeft gateway drug.Can finally get him on some great 3ds stuff too.

Ah right I gotcha man, I'm super ignorant how that stuff translates haha. I'll need to hunt those out, this is the year he's bee a super active reader. Lots of comics I bought him last year are actually being read, and I'm extremely willing to encourage this stuff. Almost none of the kids he knows read anything at all as leisure. Shame we dont have a otooet culture for comics here, they are a perfeft gateway drug.Can finally get him on some great 3ds stuff too.

A what?

Also, yeah, these books are great. Adam Rex does the Cold Cereal Trilogy and Colin Meloy (yup) and Carson Ellis do Wildwood.

Top Bottom