• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

TheFlow

Banned
next time consult comicGAF beforehand!

picking up 3 QBs is lunacy lol

cam / brady is a pretty terrific 1-2 punch.

how many people are in your league? what does the rest of your line up look like? post em!
We have six. It is our first time doing a league and give me a sec to pull up a list. I ended up getting average players for the rest of my list though

So after IST updates today, the full Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck run will be in-print in English once more!

(We still have to wait a little more for the companion issues).

Gillen has started answering. People who wondered who came up with the "Tony is adopted" plotline or the original plans for Gillen's Work For Hire books for Marvel before he left superhero books behind to start working on Vader and focus on his own books can get their answer here.

Without even the actual answer! lol

Legendary.
I was collecting all the ones we would care about to post once in a big batch. :p

Here are the current ones:
Scrapped Uncanny plans and a bit on Siege:

Uncanny Plans... well, it’s less plans and more ideas for direction. It was always likely I would move off Uncanny after AvX. Some of the ideas were brought forward - like the SINISTER stuff I used for the Phoenix Five. Fairly obviously, I would have done a big story with UNIT, which is probably my main regret. I like the commentary in terms of UNIT getting away with it everything AvX is happening (I forget if I used the line “When heroes fight heroes who wins? By definition, not heroes.” but it was on my mind.)

Mainly, it’d have been structured on Scott going further and further. I wanted to end the Schism by Scott appearing to win, and then Emma stabbing him in the back in a mirror of AvX. Emma would have never have forgiven Scott for AvX. Which isn’t fair, but Emma isn’t fair. Emma is a creature made of pride and he took that from her. Her turning full Supervillain and setting up a school in Latveria.

Generally speaking, I would have happily made more villains. There’s too many heroes in the MU. We need more good villains - or rather, antagonists.

But UNIT would have been fun. I do regret not getting to write how people defeat him.

And Siege was a lot of fun. I sort of designed it to be fun, really. A lot of it was me doing alternate versions of stories I never got to tell. Abigail Brand’s Siege origin is a riff on her real one, which has never been told. The UNITS are similar in that way.

Adopted Tony maybe being a idea from the higher ups:

The short answer is that I had an original plan for Iron Man, which was basically a hard-science-fiction Deadwood-On-The-Mood take about the death of Space Travel. Then the idea to make him join the Guardians appeared, which immediately makes any hard-science take on Tony impossible. He can’t be having fun space adventures and also worrying about oxygen generation.

So we did what I did, and I got him into space, and THEN we realised that it was the 50th anniversary coming up and would probably be a good idea to do a story that harked back to his beginnings. Clearly, I growled. I’d spent so much effort getting him into space and now have to do something about Earth? That’s impossible. Unless...

I try to be additive with my WFH work. You can do any story you could with Tony before, and more - not least introducing Arno Stark in time for 2020.

Will Aphra survive and hopefully get a spin-off book in the future?

Issue 25 of Darth Vader is quite the thing. I’m really proud of what everyone has done with it.

Let’s leave it at that, eh?

On puns:

Oh, definitely. The really bad ones don’t normally get stopped. It’s the ones which aren’t bad enough. I generally am aiming to get more people shouting NO! at me than pressing like.

Comics GAF fantasy football league for pure shit talking fun. Who says no? One of you smart fantasy guys set it up and I'm in.

I've played twice in my life. Took first place in the NBA GAF league in 2013, and dead last in my work league last season. I'm super consistent is what I'm saying.

Jesus Christ that swerve in Invincible volume 3 is amazing. Why did I never think to start this before? Good thing I have like 18 more volumes to read.

Phenomenal book is phenomenal.

I had that issue. It's hard to believe now, but that Nocenti run was solid, and I remember quite liking most of the Daredevil issues at the time, although to be fair I was 13, so I'm not sure how well it would hold up now.

We have documented proof that 80s Nocenti was great. That run was poetic and fantastic. Did modern Nocenti lose her way, or is the problem that she worked on fucking Catwoman? I'm pretty sure it's Catwoman. Ed Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke couldn't even make her work for me.

It's the Harley syndrome. You could put Alan Moore and GAF's favorite
shitty
artist Frank Quitely on Harley and you'll still be left with trash. You can only polish a turd so much. And I'm honestly being unfair to Catwoman here, so this post is now a Harley sucks rant. How about that fantasy football league?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So long as all the team names are comic related puns. Deal breaker otherwise.

OK OK

In for fantasy football!

1) jon bones
2) Tragicomedy
3) TheFlow
4) KoruptData

8 spots left LETS DO THIS

Whats that?

I'll be starting a free Fantasy NFL draft in Yahoo sports for comics GAF. If you like football or are interested in checking it out, let me know and you can join us as we explore what will surely be a disaster of a season for everyone involved.

TheFlow

Banned
I like how you knew I was already down. just give me the link when you got it set up. we should also come up with a drafting time that is good for everyone

fuck yes I am down!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nah, like in what is Fantasy Football? I have no idea what its supposed to be :D its like you pick players and get points when they do stuff?

So Mjölnir and yet so Mjölfar.

Oh Grodd, that was bad. It's a work in progress.

Nah, like in what is Fantasy Football? I have no idea what its supposed to be :D its like you pick players and get points when they do stuff?

Draft a preset number of position players and a team defense, hope they do well in real life! Lose and suffer devastating embarrassment! Win and be forever known as the first ever CGFFC (Comic GAF's Fantasy Football Champion).

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I continue to listen to a comic podcast even though it continues to annoy the hell out of me?!

Especially when they're so many good podcasts to listen to.

Honestly, my biggest complaint about living close to work is that I don't have a ton of time to listen to podcasts.
(Many people I work with don't see this as a very valid complaint)

you want to keep up with continuity so that when the podcast has an event you're not lost.

Sounds about right.

Especially when they're so many good podcasts to listen to.

Honestly, my biggest complaint about living close to work is that I don't have a ton of time to listen to podcasts.
(Many people I work with don't see this as a very valid complaint)

I already listen to so many. I have about 9 hours a day to listen to podcasts. I actually have one podcast I listen to that is regularly 7-8 hours a week. Probably the main reason I'm listening to the one that annoys me is because I need something to listen to and at least it brings up comics from time to time I haven't picked up yet.

bf1 is so good I can't focus on anything else

I too know the struggle of waiting for season 2 of Overwatch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
ohh baby, we're almost cookin

1) jon bones
2) Tragicomedy
3) TheFlow
4) KoruptData
5) Bii
6) RepairmanJack
7) Zombine

Owzers

There isn't a two or three week break in between Hearthstone seasons, QP is terrible, i'd like to check out the map and character updates...Overwatch right now is dumb.

This is some real Hillary Clinton stuff right now, the Blizzard establishment must end people, we have to do it.

There isn't a two or three week break in between Hearthstone seasons, QP is terrible, i'd like to check out the map and character updates...Overwatch right now is dumb.

This is some real Hillary Clinton stuff right now, the Blizzard establishment must end people, we have to do it.

I hate the long break between season's but they need to at least have a competitive hopper still available. It'd be fine if the difference between QP and Comp weren't so stark. You wouldn't think Hero Limits and rounds would be so drastic but it is.

There's two of us here? Nice.
It blew my mind every year when Tate would stick around, good riddance.

He had that one drive/game saving diving catch early in the season last year and that bought him the rest of the season. I'm bummed for anyone to lose a chance at what they do but the guy was there way longer than he should have.

Next up Nugent.

JTripper

That Alan Brennert Batman collection price is too good to pass up. Ordered that and Omega Men. Also gonna finally read Y: The Last Man after never continuing past volume 1 for whatever reason.

Awesome Jenny Frison variant for wonder woman, to complement the football talk:

CrIM_0YWcAAUmp3-600x911.jpg

Top Bottom