• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hickman did great things Fantastic Four (bringing in those kids is one of the all-time great changes to the series) and let that team die with dignity when I'm sure Marvel would have been content to toss them in a dumpster.
+ Avengers.
Its such a amazing Scifi story.

Messi

I say protege because they're close personally and it's not just Way being influenced by Morrison's work. They've done interviews together several times, played live music together, appeared together in music videos, etc.

I hope he does well. They have some interesting ideas. I will try out Shade and Doom Patrol. I like the idea of Doom Patrol but I really can't stand pls style art.

I'm trying out all the Young Animal books. We should have a thread for it.
I can't decide which specific way that thread would go to shit. Would it be people crapping on My Chemical Romance? Complaining about Grant Morrison comics being too hard to understand? I'm very interested in finding out.

Messi

Maybe if they were 2.99 I'd try them all. But I'll wait for reviews on a few. I buy too many books as is.

How many Young Animal books have been announced? What's the split between ongoings and minis?

I'm definitely interested in checking those books out. I'm not trying to be negative when I say that Way is still unproven. I like his work, but it's strange to see him fronting an entire imprint when he's so green.

More serious than putting a high profile comic writer on it? Not saying it would ever happen but wouldn't it have more value if Morrison was leading the label.

But the high profile writers can sell new ideas using new IP through Image. Why give them the DC/Marvel? I see Young Animal as DC trying to find those writers who are just about breaking in and will be willing to try new things in return for that DC exposure and marketing. Look at Mother Panic. Way could have taken his character in a creator-owned direction but he is sharing with others, pulling writers like Houser in. Writers now willing to create new villains and characters under this imprint.

Messi

But the high profile writers can sell new ideas using new IP through Image. Why give them the DC/Marvel? I see Young Animal as DC trying to find those writers who are just about breaking in and will be willing to try new things in return for that DC exposure and marketing. Look at Mother Panic. Way could have taken his character in a creator-owned direction but he is sharing with others, pulling writers like Houser in. Writers now willing to create new villains and characters under this imprint.

Sure and that is admirable.

TheFlow

Banned
How many Young Animal books have been announced? What's the split between ongoings and minis?

I'm definitely interested in checking those books out. I'm not trying to be negative when I say that Way is still unproven. I like his work, but it's strange to see him fronting an entire imprint when he's so green.
Nah rather have someone fresh than Morrison.

All this talk about Young Animal, with Suicide Squad right around the corner, makes me wonder if DC would ever do a Doom Patrol movie if something like Suicide Squad turned out to be a success.

All this talk about Young Animal, with Suicide Squad right around the corner, makes me wonder if DC would ever do a Doom Patrol movie if something like Suicide Squad turned out to be a success.

Doom Patrol with Zack Snyder. Perfect director to handle the nuance of Crazy Jane's character

I actually enjoyed Bendis' X-Men, at least what I've read from it :(

Comics threads on GAF are a weird and wild place.

I loved almost the entire run. It was divisive from the word go, though. People have legitimate complaints about them - not everybody likes Bendis (especially on team books), the new mutants weren't great, bringing the O5 forward in time wasn't well-justified in the narrative, etc.

From Bendis, what I tend to dislike are his events, they all feel very bare-bones and I usually have 0 interest on them. It doesn't help that most of them need to change "everything forever".

That being said, I'm not reading Civil War II so I don't know how that's going but I'm definitely not interested on it from the premise.

Going to see Suicide Squad Friday morning at 11. Was going to go Thursday night, but a 3D RPX ticket is like $6 cheaper if I catch a matinee.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just a reminder that Its 19 days until Suicide Squad starts here and it would be cool if you would be careful with Spoilers.

VanWinkle

Wx6PfPN.png

Nice. Some good reference comics.

Just a reminder that Its 19 days until Suicide Squad starts here and it would be cool if you would be careful with Spoilers.

You better avoid comic sites, Twitter, Facebook, Off-Topic GAF, Game GAF, comic books, your friend dressing up as Harley Quinn for Halloween, little kids playing in the playground, 15 second Twitch ads that will spoil a major plot.............

Your fucked.

Tradewaiting + MU means I've given up on spoilers. I've even given up my 15 year Game of Thrones spoiler avoidance and asked my friend to tell me everything.

Only thing I still try to no spoil myself on is wednesday afternoon Champions League matches.

Owzers

Tradewaiting + MU means I've given up on spoilers. I've even given up my 15 year Game of Thrones spoiler avoidance and asked my friend to tell me everything.

Only thing I still try to no spoil myself on is wednesday afternoon Champions League matches.

waitttttttttttt a minute, how does one get a 15 year game of thrones spoiler avoidance? Why was this a thing, it need not be a thing.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You better avoid comic sites, Twitter, Facebook, Off-Topic GAF, Game GAF, comic books, your friend dressing up as Harley Quinn for Halloween, little kids playing in the playground, 15 second Twitch 15 second ads that will spoil a major plot.............

Your fucked.
Just sayin, I know someone who got veeeerry protective about 10 days of Civil War here, so its now time to return the favour from USGAF :D

So I've been reading All-New Wolverine and Extraordinary X-Men as I was recommended, and I'm enjoying both so far. I'm about to start Old Man Logan, so hopefully that will be a good read as well. I have noticed that Dr. Strange seems to be showing up in everything, are they pushing him for the movie or something?

waitttttttttttt a minute, how does one get a 15 year game of thrones spoiler avoidance? Why was this a thing, it need not be a thing.

I read A Game of Thrones in 2001 and stopped. First 10 years after that were easy. No one really talked about it much, only one other person I know kept up with the books. It started becoming a pain from about the third season of the tv show.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i don't see this going well. this is a reckless crowd you're running with.
I remember how I hold out on every Guardians of the Galaxy spoiler when that one released a month later because there was a football tournament.

And literarly on the last day I was spoiled with the Howard appearence and othere details here.

SS is not that personally Important for me like a MCU movie would be, and also I already know the Aftercreditscene, but the bigger plot details shouldnt be posted open. But I guess that wont happen anyway.

I remember how I hold out on every Guardians of the Galaxy spoiler when that one released a month later because there was a football tournament.

And literarly on the last day I was spoiled with the Howard appearence and othere details here.

SS is not that personally Important for me like a MCU movie would be, and also I already know the Aftercreditscene, but the bigger plot details should be posted open. But I guess that wont happen anyway.

Spoiler alert, everything about this movie looks calamitously dumb as fuck.

Boomerang on the poster looks stupid as fuck.
Joker is just what can you even say about how awful everything about this portrayal is, from the actor to the styling to the on set calamity.

Why do you even care for real

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That won't be me who spoils it. Nice attempt at a joke though.
At least you remembered! :p :D ;-)

Joker is just what can you even say about how awful everything about this portrayal is, from the actor to the styling to the on set calamity.

It has Batman and we will see the new Joker for first time and I hope Harley will be fun.
Beside that, I have to admit that I dont care th slightest about that movie, but I hope it will be fun and have some cool songs overlayed with on fun scenes and that it rips GotG well of in that regard.
(Nothing wrong here with it doing that. If it does it)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just came back from SS, I can't believe only Rope Guy survived, it'll be interesting to see what they do in Suicide Squad 2.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And with I dont care about the movie I mean more dont care about the charachter. I dont even know who most of them are. But that can change, back then when I went to watch Avengers I just cared about Iron Man and afterwards I loved all of them.

How can you say Leto's portrayal is awful when you haven't even seen it? I'm not mad on the tattoos either but judging his performance on a few snippets of footage seems unfair.

Top Bottom