• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2013. How can it be called a "SUPER Bowl" when nobody can fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iron Man has the benefit of not having costumes that look awful no matter what. The Hulk movie will hopefully have the same success. Every comic book movie has had terrible costumes though. No way around it. They were designed by artists who couldn't draw clothes.

You literally cannot make actual clothes from those sorts of concepts. It can't happen.

wtf of course you can. Spider-Man, Thor and Superman proved that.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can someone please explain the love for Morrison to me? I literally can't UNDERSTAND it. I can't process it in my brain, and would love to hear some in-depth opinions on that.

It seems like he just writes gimmicks and doesn't really build beyond that.

He tells long form stories that challenge the reader to think about abstract ideas instead of just being face-value, guys in tights/caps punching each other. There's nothing wrong with not liking him.

wtf of course you can. Spider-Man, Thor and Superman proved that.

All awful costumes. Every single one. WTF glass Spider Man eyes? The circles on Thor? Lycra Superman? Awful, every single one.

Look at how Quitely draws Superman's costume, as cloth. Looks perfect as a drawing, would never work IRL.

But, oooh, pick more pick more! I love pointing out how atrocious they look.

All awful costumes. Every single one. WTF glass Spider Man eyes? The circles on Thor? Lycra Superman? Awful, every single one.

Look at how Quitely draws Superman's costume, as cloth. Looks perfect as a drawing, would never work IRL.

But, oooh, pick more pick more! I love pointing out how atrocious they look.

Im pretty sure your crazy

He tells long form stories that challenge the reader to think about abstract ideas instead of just being face-value, guys in tights/caps punching each other. There's nothing wrong with not liking him.

Well, I didn't think there was, I just wanted to know some really solid, in-depth points on why people love him. Because I like to hear the other side.

Costumes all look fine. Like straight out of the comics to me.

ap060524041294_wide-3cad356e127e7b9c8f5497d6e4971bd8a747b723-s6-c10.jpg

Acid08

Banned
Well, I didn't think there was, I just wanted to know some really solid, in-depth points on why people love him. Because I like to hear the other side.
Well you've only read his Batman stuff, give some of the rest a shot. Flex Mentallo is only four issues, try that.

The Thing looks so fucking terrible in the above picture.

Im pretty sure your crazy

I'm going to go with the guy who knows the difference between your and you're.

So, me.

But no, seriously, pick up a Spider-Man comic (pre-Superior). Look at the dynamics of the costume. The bold solid colors. The graphic line work that makes up the "webs". The solid Spider icon on the back and front. Okay.

Now (ha ha ha, oh my god) look at what ended up in the movie, doesn't even matter which, they're (lol) both awful and completely repellant. Gone are solid swaths of color, replaced by some mess of, what, jersey and mesh and I don't even know what. Three dimensional eye...glass...things...a metal spider in front...gold eyes on that new one.

I mean, come on. Explain how that's not the worst thing you've ever seen. I've gone into great detail as to why they are complete embarrassments. All you've done is come at me.

Not the best argumentative approach.

Costumes all look fine. Like straight out of the comics to me.

aaaahahahahaha those FF ones. Holy shit. SO ICONIC. Why replicate the most classic costumes in comic history? Oh, right. Because it's impossible.

As I said, re: Superman, the fabric is all wrong.

Don't know what the 2nd quote is, as it's not showing up in my browser, but I'm sure it looks really great.

Comic movie talk without mentioning this classic? Iconic. Nolan and Whedon tried.

generationxmovie.jpg

So good.

Nolan was pretty hamstrung by Batman, and did his best (still looked pretty damn silly), but look at what he was able to do with his Rogue's gallery. Just put them in (GASP!!!!) normal clothes for optimum and incredible effect.

It's just a basic problem with superhero movies, and there's no way around it. For forty years, costumes were designed as basically body paint for two dimensional objects. So costume designers for movies are forced to create something that can conceivably exist in the real world, but are also based on the source material. Occasionally, artists throw the real world a bone, as in recent Punisher costumes or New X-Men, but mostly the costume designers are screwed from the outset. Thor is just an embarrassment of gaudery from one end of the movie to the other. It's the same reason some artists are better on Thor than others. Those that can inhabit those designs with energy they need, your Simonsons, your Copiels, your Ribics.

You cannot do that with photographed (or digitally created) real life

Iron Man and Batman are to only two movies without shitty looking costumes. Cap's was fine in his movie but turned to shit in Avengers. So was his character tho.

Generation X was fuckin insane nonsense.

Husk and Chamber's powers were too expensive so they were replaced with a girl named Buff and a guy named Refrax. Buff's powers were super strength, but she had gigantic, fucked up muscles so she always wore baggy clothes. There's a scene in the movie, where she takes off her shirt and you see her from the back - it's a male body builder.

Refrax's powers were to shoot invisible (LOL) energy beams from his eyes and he had to wear special glasses to control them - sound familiar?

The bad guy was this insane Riddler-esque scientist who could enter your dreams or something? It was just a mess.

Oh, and Jubilee was a white girl all of a sudden.

God that GL movie was fucking terrible.

Even worse than 90% of the comic movies that get shit out.

It really felt like half the people involved wanted to make a conventional, Earth-bound superhero origin story, and the other half wanted a cosmic superhero space opera.

As often happens when a project is pulled in two very different directions, the final film tried to be both, and did neither particularly well.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Got a windfall and am going to buy either:

A) Morrison New X-Men Omnibus - never read any of this.

Or

B) Spend the same amount of money on comixology on marvel now stuff that has been well-received. I haven't read much of it yet. I have concentrated my reading on Archie, Dark Horse, and IDW lately.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
man i remember hearing about that gen x movie and setting up a VCR to record it because i wasn't home to see it.

DO THIS

Can someone please explain the love for Morrison to me? I literally can't UNDERSTAND it. I can't process it in my brain, and would love to hear some in-depth opinions on that.

It seems like he just writes gimmicks and doesn't really build beyond that.

some of his stuff is excellent, some of it is just weird for weirdness sake. don't mistake the addition of trippiness as "unrecognized depth." his best work was new x-men, though flex mentallo is also top tier.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah. We'll waste countless hours arguing the merits of any given title recently published. But we can all agree that New X-Men is pretty much super fucking awesome.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
man i remember hearing about that gen x movie and setting up a VCR to record it because i wasn't home to see it.

DO THIS

some of his stuff is excellent, some of it is just weird for weirdness sake. don't mistake the addition of trippiness as "unrecognized depth." his best work was new x-men, though flex mentallo is also top tier.

Honestly when it comes to Morrison I'm of the opinion that you wait until he's done then buy the trades or omnibus. It just reads better that way.

kswiston

Or

B) Spend the same amount of money on comixology on marvel now stuff that has been well-received. I haven't read much of it yet. I have concentrated my reading on Archie, Dark Horse, and IDW lately.

How much is the New X-Men Omnibus?

If you aren't against digital comics, you could split your money between Comixology (for newer stuff) and Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. MDCU has over 10k Marvel back issues, including all of New X-Men. Not a lot on there from the second half of 2011 to present, but it is great for older stuff.

The price is $10/month or $60/year. If you use the code below, you can get an annual sub for $48. Basically the price of one $3.99 comic a month.

COMEBACK3

http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Damn, I forgot how snarky some of these movie producer guys could be in Shade the Changing Man

http://i.minus.com/jTi91KjFQ1uMA.jpg[IMG]

Boy, Bachalo sure has changed since then[/QUOTE]

He used to be good. :(

Owzers

Finished Dan the Unharmable vol 1 tpb, was a fun creepy ride. It read a lot like what Crossed would be like if it had characters and a point.

EdmondD

For me personally Animal Man is Morrison's best work. One of the first comics to completely blow my mind and make me realize how amazing comics could be. You can't tell a story like that in any other medium. I have the trades signed by him when I met him. Awesome.

Beside that his best work is probably Seven Soldiers or All Star Superman. Far superior to New X-Men in my opinion but I was never a huge X-men fan to be honest.

MC Safety

Or

Beware with Morrison's Omnibus. The story is fine, although Morrison takes some gross liberties with the characters and the notions of mutantdom. What's problematic is the art. I've never seen a run so consistently and thoroughly marred by a seemingly endless slew of rushed and/or untalented fill-in artists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom