• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2016. World of love and strangeness and charm.

3aWFtxg.jpg

New month, new comics! Here are some of the notable releases for the month:
SgbIrjD.png

hNqkIrF.jpg

Power Man and Iron Fist #1 by David Walker and Sanford Greene (Feb. 17th) - Power Man and Iron Fist are tracking a mystery with all the ingredients of a classic Heroes-for-Hire tale. Expect old friends, hired goons, crime lords, weird magic, plenty of power, a flurry of fists and as much bromance as you can handle!
Spider-Man #1 by Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli (Feb. 3rd) - Miles Morales has been doing the super hero thing for a while, now, but after SECRET WARS, he'll be a full-fledged member of the Marvel Universe. Swinging next to The Invincible Iron Man, The Mighty Thor and the All-New Captain America as a card-carrying member of the Avengers is an adventure, but it's not all fun and games for New York City's main Spider-MAN! What happened in the eight month gap?
Avengers Standoff: Welcome to Pleasant Hill #1 by Nick Spencer and Mark Bagley (Feb. 17th) - The preclude to the new Avengers event that everyone has been dying for! Will it live up to other great events such as AXIS and Age of Ultron?!

qaugsEU.png

lnkFmUD.jpg

Black Canary #9 by Brenden Fletcher and Annie Wu (Feb. 17th) - Black Canary barely escaped the army of martial artists who abducted her to a mysterious battleground! Unfortunately, they've followed her right back to Gotham City… but Batgirl owes her a favor or two!
Superman: The Coming of the Supermen #1 by Neal Adams (Feb. 3rd) - This is it, the next magnum opus by Neal Adams, the creator of the legendary Batman Odyssey. Superman makes an army of other Supermans to fight Darkseid and his army!
Starfire #8 by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Mirco Pierfederici (Feb. 10th) - Starfire and Stella journey underground to visit Atlee’s home—but it’s changed since she left! While things heat up near the Earth’s core, will Sol and Kori’s romance follow suit?

Pj1YPNh.png

VrAL0Ie.jpg

Low #12 by Rick Remender, Greg Tocchini, and Dave McCaig (Feb. 24th)- At last Stel Caine reaches the surface, but what she finds there isn't what she imagined.
Mirror #1 by Emma Rios and Hwei Lim (Feb. 3rd) - A new ongoing series, following a terrorist talking dog, an idealist mage, and a heroic lab rat on their quest for acceptance.
Snowfall #1 by Joe Harris and Martin Morazzo (Feb. 17th) - In the year 2045 it no longer snows. A catastrophic crash has left the climate ravaged, society splintered, and the newly-christened "Cooperative States of America" propped up and administered by the powerful Hazeltyne Corporation. Only one man wages an all-out weather war against the system, wielding the forces of nature themselves as weapons. He is the White Wizard. The ghost in the night. Genius. Terrorist. Outlaw. Hero?

KXpsLLu.png

V9O6npD.jpg

Fight Club 2 #10 by Chuck Palahniuk and Cameron Stewart (Feb. 24th) - The whole world burns away according to Tyler’s plan, and a new one he never anticipated is conceived. The meek inherit the Earth, and a final showdown proves that, finally, Roland Barthes is right!
Hellboy and the B.P.R.D: 1953 - Beyond the Fences #1 by Mike Mignola, Paolo Rivera, and more (Feb. 24th) - A mysterious creature hunts the children of an idyllic suburban town, and the BPRD get more than they bargained for when their investigation begins to seem strangely familiar.
King's Road #1 by Peter Hogan and Phil Winslade (Feb. 10th) - This 48-page special includes all King’s Road chapters from Dark Horse Presents and an additional issue’s worth of story drawn by the new King’s Road art team!

7XkluQw.png

1i2SKMy.jpg

Jem & The Holograms Valentine's Day Special 2016* by Kelly Thompson and Corin Howell (Feb. 10th) - Tensions run high between Jem and the Holograms and the Misfits as their tour kicks into high gear! And now, the sound buried in Synergy programming—the one that's been profoundly affecting all those who hear it—has just changed its tune! For one night only—Valentine's Day—it's making friends of enemies with sometimes dangerous consequences!
Street Fighter X G.I. Joe #1 by Aubrey Sitterson and Emilio Laiso (Feb. 24th) - On a hidden island in international waters, 16 combatants enter a secret tournament… one that pits Street Fighter vs. G.I. JOE! M. Bison and Destro have joined forces, and taking them down will require the world’s finest warriors: Ryu, Snake Eyes, Guile, Scarlett, Chun-Li and Duke!
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye #50 by James Roberts, Alex Milne, and Brendan Cahill (Date TBD) - Since joining the Lost Light, Megatron has rejected everything that once made him the most feared and hated Cybertronian of all time. But penitence has a price, and before the ex-Decepticon can find true redemption he must first confront his darkest legacy—the Decepticon Justice Division.
*Yes that is the real cover

e1ZbXE9.png

gRwZq8s.jpg

Bloodshot Reborn #11 by Jeff "Real Hawkeye" Lemire and Lewis Larosa (Feb. 24th) - As Bloodshot and Magic emerge with a small group of survivors in tow, an unexpected ally from the past shows up, seeking help, forcing Bloodshot to either turn his back on his friend…or his family!
Beyond Time and Again by George Metzger (Feb. 15th) - Reproduced for the first time, this collection collects Metzger's counterculture comic strip that combines high fantasy with prescient views of science, climate change, and political authoritarianism!
Kennel Block Blues #1 by Ryan Ferrier and Daniel Bayliss (Feb. 3rd) - Oliver is a good dog. A family dog. But without warning, he's sentenced to Jackson Kennel, where he's instantly placed on Death Row with the rest of his fellow inmates, awaiting a lethal appointment on The Table if salvation doesn't come. He'll need help escaping the Kennel, but when the stress of prison life builds, he starts escaping reality instead, imagining a fantasy world of cartoon friends. It's time to break out...into a musical number?

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide!
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
On SPOILERS. Use common sense and please, mark your spoilers! If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning. Don't be that person.

EjV3CL3.jpg

Messi

I just read Shutter #17 I shouted NO! near the end when something happened. This fucking book man :(

It's back this month too. Kate's got a new haircut after having a new haircut for #17,it lasted one issue lol.

I just read Shutter #17 I shouted NO! near the end when something happened. This fucking book man :(

It's back this month too. Kate's got a new haircut after having a new haircut for #17,it lasted one issue lol.

What's with the sudden Shutter push?

frye

i think i must've only read Spider-Man comics last month (and not even mainly new ones at that!)

Amazing Spider-Man 30-58, 600-608 (so the entire JRJR+JMS stuff) — there's a world where JMS stopped when Romita stopped and this run of Spider-Man became something like New X-Men or Maleev/Bendis Daredevil or any number of those kinds of comics, but we all know how things went down: it's really hard to recommend "the JMS run" when it ends up having two of the most reviled superhero storylines ever. These issues used to be the only JMS comics I ever liked, but coming back to it I like it a lot less. The character-writing that everyone remembers is fine (and easily the most enjoyable part) but the Ezekiel stuff that drives these comics didn't exactly ignite my engine, y'know? I've always preferred Brand New Day era Spidey to this for all its wonkiness and I'm even more sure of that now.

Amazing Spider-Man 1-11 (Ditko+Lee) — The older I get the more I like Ditko and the more I come back to these comics the more I like Ditko's Spider-Man. One of the things that struck me this time is how contemptible Peter can be. He's kind of a jerk ! He's portrayed as kind of a snob and it's not that surprising he doesn't have any friends — there are times when the other kids invite him to go out and he straight up snubs them. Spider-Man doesn't become "Spider-Man" as we recognize him until Romita comes on but in a way these are much more interesting comics.

Spidey 1-2 (Bradshaw+Thompson) -- Nick Bradshaw draws Spider-Man!!! It's Nick Bradshaw drawing Spider-Man, man!!

Flex Mentallo

I actually almost posted this in the OP too but I liked the old Doom Patrol panel I found too much

they're both v good

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hawkeye #22 has been on MU for awhile now and I still havent read it.

Bro :(

Spidey 1-2 (Bradshaw+Thompson) -- Nick Bradshaw draws Spider-Man!!! It's Nick Bradshaw drawing Spider-Man, man!!

I am loving Spidey, the art is wonderful. BUT, it's just like those Marvel Age/Adventure all ages comics they used to release. It needs a shot of drama, probably add in the Daily Bugle and a best friend named Harry.

JTripper

Is the Neal Adams Batman omnibus releasing soon worth it?

Thinking of pre-ordering on Amazon since it's just over half off.

frye

I am loving Spidey, the art is wonderful. BUT, it's just like those Marvel Age/Adventure all ages comics they used to release. It needs a shot of drama, probably add in the Daily Bugle and a best friend named Harry.

yeah, that was my thought as well. I also think some of the characterization is odd (mainly Gwen, who resembles her Ultimate incarnation more than anything) but it's not offensively bad which in this context is more than good enough for me

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

I'm trying to re-read all 17 before Wednesday. I've read the first four so far.

Read ANAD Doctor Strange #1 last week, really enjoyed it. Art was different and its well written. Like how they've switched up his characterisation too. Must get my hands on the next few issues.

Is Pleasant Hill just going to turn to be another of those towns secretly run by AIM/Similar organisation/Splinter group

Read ANAD Doctor Strange #1 last week, really enjoyed it. Art was different and its well written. Like how they've switched up his characterisation too. Must get my hands on the next few issues.

Artist is Chris Bachalo. He also did the art on the recent Bendis run of Uncanny X-Men.

Is MTMTE #50 delayed, since the OP says TBD? That's disappointing if so. Street Fighter vs. G.I. Joe should be a laugh as well.

These XCOM 2 reviews are glorious. Why must Friday be so far away?

I need guidance on matters involving this Transformers IDW sale.

Last Stand of the Wreckers
More than Meets the Eye Vols 1-8
Dark Prelude
Dark Cybertron
Robots in Disguise Vols 1-6/The Transformers (2011-) Vol 7-8/Combiner Wars

That's all the new stuff that's on sale. You could just buy Last Stand and MTMTE, but RiD is still good IMO.

Appreciate the help. Picked up Last Stand and MTMTE vol 1-3 to start with.

Now, to decide whether to start going digital on TMNT or continue to ride out IDW's horrible release schedule on their OHCs.. hmm..

Mindwipe

Now, to decide whether to start going digital on TMNT or continue to ride out IDW's horrible release schedule on their OHCs.. hmm..

That's a good call. Dark Prelude is okay, but not core. Dark Cybertron is really not very good but the events of MTMTE Volume 6 would not make much sense without it.

Could someone check something for me? Transformers Volume 6: Police Action is in the sale, but in the UK at least it's £5.49, which is a lot compared to the others given it's the shortest trade. Is it more expensive than the others on the US site too, or a cockup?

I'd grab it digital while it's on sale just to avoid IDW pricing.

The current TMNT run is awesome. It's my favorite rendition of the universe. I need to get the last four trades sometime.

Top Bottom