• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Mother Panic reminds me a lot of the output from 90s Vertigo, moreso than the rest of the YA line. It makes me think of Face, Shade, and Sandman Mystery Theatre with how the story is being revealed and the overall style to it. It's kinda grimey and mysterious. Really cool book though even if I'm not quite sure of where the story is going.

This week had a ton of high profile books from DC and Image. I picked up more than I normally do.

King has interesting arcs but towards the end of arc I question why I began. Lemire coming to take the reigns

There are legitimately 5-6 different moments from Snyder's run that I'll remember forever. The only thing I'll remember from King's run is repetitive dialogue...repetitive dialogue...repetitive dialogue.

A fucking eternal Pirate/Bane story that goes nowhere for 17 issues, with the worst characterization of the titular character. It makes me want to break Batman's damn back.

Messi

There are legitimately 5-6 different moments from Snyder's run that I'll remember forever. The only thing I'll remember from King's run is repetitive dialogue...repetitive dialogue...repetitive dialogue.

A fucking eternal Pirate/Bane story that goes nowhere for 17 issues, with the worst characterization of the titular character. It makes me want to break Batman's damn back.

I am behind on Batman....but everytime I look at the covers for Batman...I see Bane and I think to myself... How the hell is that storyline still going?? Is it even the same Bane story?? Did he do two Bane arcs back to back?

Sandfox

I really don't like what I've read of Tom King's Batman. It also bothered me how Batman kept jobbing in the early issues of Detective.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is just plain bonkers this season. Pure, unadulterated bonkers. Love it.

Time to finally finish off that trade of Dixon's Robin

Marley Zarcone's variant cover for Shade #6 is amazing
C4wk33xVMAEKqqo.jpg

I am behind on Batman....but everytime I look at the covers for Batman...I see Bane and I think to myself... How the hell is that storyline still going?? Is it even the same Bane story?? Did he do two Bane arcs back to back?

It really is the same shit.

Bane is a terrible villain. Incredibly one-dimensional. Perfect fit for Tom King's Batman. 👌

Sandfox

Since the Thor movie comes out in November, Odinson will probably take back over then. I'm curious to see what Jason Aaron does then because it would probaby be the end of his run.

MartyStu

The Mighty Thor 16

Good shit. I love that Aaron has continued to take the 'fuck logic' approach of the pre-Secret Wars series and tuned it to something more constructive. Example: Asgardians waging space war in viking longboats.

That said, I am very sad that even now, I know very little of who this Jane is. Her characterization is easily the weakest part of her in both this run and the one that proceeded it. The best we got from her were during her interactions with Loki earlier in the run.

I really hope that Marvel continues to build her as a character after Odinson comes back. Jane does not deserve to be ignored like Sif and Valkyrie have been (they don't really deserve it either).

mreddie

Since the Thor movie comes out in November, Odinson will probably take back over then. I'm curious to see what Jason Aaron does then because it would probably be the end of his run.

Remember, her book is outselling Odinsons, however, I haven't seen Unworthy sales.

Also America is in it and Patsy turns her into Miss Canada.

wtf

Terry Moore is an all time great and I looooove that his art is black and white. I love seeing his linework and his original art is exactly what is on the comic page. He even letters directly onto the page.

THIS

It was so fucking good.
Rick and Negan teaming up! But damn, hearing Negan talk about his wife was really sad. Especially after reading Here's Negan. Can't wait to see what happens next. I wonder how Carl and Maggie are going to react to him being out?

TWD:
Carl and Maggie are going to freak the fuck out! Maggie will sever all friendship-like ties with Rick. Dunzo. She will still work with him for the benefit of their communities (maybe?), but will never forgive him.

My favorite team-up was
Heath and Eugene,
both characters I adore.

Haven't read it, so forgive my ignorance there.

Doesn't forgive him being terrible and omnipresent in DC's flagship book.
Wouldn't know about him in the current book, but he's great in that series. He actually has depth and isn't just a one-off character.
So much this. But Simone MADE him an interesting character. Nobody else has taken that and went with it.
It's the best he'll ever be. He's my favorite character in that run (with Scandal and Deadshot). Outside of that, he's never been anything other than "I'LL KILL BATMAN!". Although
the end of the run does revert to that, but I feel like there's an added nuance that makes it work.

New series of Joe Golem finally announced:

Five issues, two story arcs, May:

“Two years after he killed a child-snatching monster and stopped an undead takeover in the Drowning City, occult detective Joe Golem searches for a man with superhuman strength who is attacking citizens under orders from the otherworldly voices in his head. But Joe has his own demons to wrestle with. . .”

The nice thing here is for anyone interested, Crave Online has the entire first issue of the original run free to read on their site, worth checking if you're in the mood for something of it's kind. Click

caliph95

I do hope that we are not going back to the status quo in The Ultimate 2

Also i'm so glad for The Wild Storm comic is the wildstorm and the kind of super hero story i wish there are more of.

Daredevil: Nice dig at One more day

I continue to love the bromance between hydracap and Zemo. plus we are starting to see Taskmaster and his cronies and Coulson starting to get suspicious about hydra cap and would love to see how it goes.

Champions 5

I think I'm out on Champions. I'm not really feeling the one-off style that it has been going with. Everything just feels pointless and like a sitcom's special episode every issue. I was so damn excited for this book when it was announced, but it's been about the opposite of what I've wanted the whole time.

Old Man Logan 17

Did Old Man Logan and Moon Knight start a cross-over and I missed it?

I like this but it took me a couple minutes to remember the baby.

Batwoman

I thought this was a weird issue. It seemed like it was trying to be a quick intro to the character but I feel like you needed to know more about Kane to really understand what was going on. It was more flashes of her past rather than actually giving any kind of info. I like it, but I wonder how absolute new readers took this issue.

Oh my god, I cant wait 2 years 5 years for this. Might have to actually pick up single issues *shudder*...

Do we know if Davis-Hunt will be on all 24 issues?

IGN says the following in their review. Does that mean Ellis is doing multiple series or is he just setting up plot-lines for others?

So the fact that Ellis is not only returning to his familiar stomping grounds in the Wildstorm Universe, but committing to at least a two year story spanning multiple comics, is cause for excitement. And true to form, The Wild Storm doesn't read like any Wildstorm comic that's come before.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh my god, I cant wait 2 years 5 years for this. Might have to actually pick up single issues *shudder*...

IGN says the following in their review. Does that mean Ellis is doing multiple series or is he just setting up plot-lines for others?
Definitely going to be more than one wildstorm book. Too many characters

He's chief creative officer pretty much. The Gerard Way of Wildstorm. He works on the initial outline for the other books(3 more currently planned).

I don't think its official but most people expect the supporting books to be written by others following the blueprint that Ellis set up.

Ross61

He's curating the whole line. He's said that he has the the first 2 years, 24 issues, set up. The Wildstorm will be a launching pad for other books like Michael Cray to come out. He will likely be co-writing with the person he choses for said book.

He's curating the whole line. He's said that he has the the first 2 years, 24 issues, set up. The Wildstorm will be a launching pad for other books like Michael Cray to come out. He will likely be co-writing with the person he choses for said book.
From latest newsletter:
As Jon powers through the first six issues of THE WILD STORM, I've been developing the second book in the line, MICHAEL CRAY. I start writing the next six issues of THE WILD STORM in about six weeks.

a) it's incredibly hacky dramatic irony, which I have no patience for
b) it's a speech
in which Steve Rogers tells Zemo that, actually, he's being a nazi of his own volition, because nazis will save the world

I mean, it's hackey and on-the-nose, but the entire point is Rogers believes he's 100 percent in. That's the story.

Eventually, Steve Rogers will work his way out of the darkness, with the help (death?) of his friend Sam Wilson.

Top Bottom