• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Batman Inc 13 was fantastic. I haven't read any of my other books this week yet, but that is clearly the book of the week. I can't believe some people have been giving Chris Burnham shit over his art. It's worked so well in this series. Especially in this issue.

The score.

CameraZOOM-20130731125245056.jpg

Morrison not done yet :))))

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/31/frazer-irvings-grant-morrisons-annihilator/

VPGXZq6.jpg

Hellraising screenwriter Ray Spass has one last chance to restore himself to former glory as he struggles to write a new studio tent-pole movie, Annihilator. The film centers around the adventures of Max Nomax, a sci-fi anti-hero caught in an epic struggle against the authoritarian artificial life form Vada and it’s chief assassin, Jet Makro.

But when Max Nomax appears in real-life, Ray thinks it’s a side effect of the brain tumor he was recently diagnosed with. Despite all logic, Nomax is real, having escaped from an impossible prison with no memory. Ray’s tumor is the key—it contains all Nomax’s adventures, downloaded into Ray’s head before Nomax escaped.

Ray needs to finish his screenplay in order to get the information out of his head and shrink the tumor. Nomax needs Ray to finish his screenplay so he can remember who he is, what ultimate crime he has committed, how to defeat Vada and save the universe from annihilation – if the unstoppable Jet Makro doesn’t reach Nomax and Ray first.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If you buy Batman Annual #2 expecting a Zero Year story you're going to be disappointed.

It ties in ever so slightly, but that said it's still pretty good. That was a genuinely sad villain. I'd like to see more of her, if anyone ever does another Arkham Asylum story she needs to be included.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Just finished the final issue of Batman Inc and I can see why Morrison said people won't like it. It's going to be interesting reading everyones comments and take on the ending. It was not what I was expecting to be sure, but I didn't hate it either by any means. I really need to reread his entire run next week when I have the free time to do so.

The more I think about it, the more I really like it. Based on what Morrison has said about the character and his overall goals for the arc, I don't see any other way it could have ended.

I'm glad you're here to talk about Batman, Inc, Tim!

I took my time and yet ripped through the issue during my lunch break and It really does contain Morrison's thesis on Batman: He is and he always will be AND Gotham is his.

I enjoyed
Bruce calmly speaking to Jim, face jacked up, son dead, city under siege, and summing it up as what happens when lovers/parents fight, especially when the lovers are two powerful forces.

Once Morrison brought the divorce aspect to light in an interview (can't recall which) a lot of this run clicked on a more macroscopic level for me.

I loved this Batman run more than any other--it's my go-to for definitive Batman stories--and the ending enforces everything throughout, right down to that
damn epilogue

Last of Us #4 was weak.
Thought for sure they would show how Ellie was bit and how Riley died.

Sex #5 - Story is going nowhere fast. Going to drop.

Pandora #2 - Pretty good. Setting up ARGUS and building more of the world.

tim1138

I'm glad you're here to talk about Batman, Inc, Tim!

I took my time and yet ripped through the issue during my lunch break and It really does contain Morrison's thesis on Batman: He is and he always will be AND Gotham is his.

I enjoyed
Bruce calmly speaking to Jim, face jacked up, son dead, city under siege, and summing it up as what happens when lovers/parents fight, especially when the lovers are two powerful forces.

Once Morrison brought the divorce aspect to light in an interview (can't recall which) a lot of this run clicked on a more macroscopic level for me.

I loved this Batman run more than any other--it's my go-to for definitive Batman stories--and the ending enforces everything throughout, right down to that
damn epilogue

The divorce bit came up right around when #8 hit and I thought that metaphor was brilliant. I could safely never read a new Batman story again, because nothing is going to top this run for me. I'll come back to the characters though, because Burnham is apparently cooking something up to be announced at NYCC.

And speaking of Burnham he does not get near enough love for his work, he absolutely killed on this book. His art has a kinetic feel to it that not a lot of other artists can deliver. From something as complex as the 20 panel fight between Damian and Heretic, or as simple as the three panel sequence in the first N52 issue when the Man-Bat drops the dude out of the sky at Bruce and Damian's feet, his characters move and react how they should.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kiiiinda off topic a little but which DC animated movies are considered good? Finally decided I'll give some of them a try. Hell, Marvel too if you've seen em.

tim1138

Kiiiinda off topic a little but which DC animated movies are considered good? Finally decided I'll give some of them a try. Hell, Marvel too if you've seen em.

My personal picks are Wonder Woman, New Frontier, Justice League Doom, Batman Under the Red Hood, and the recent Flashpoint movie.

Splatt

DC:

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox
The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1 & 2
Batman: Under the Red Hood
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
The Batman vs. Dracula
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Marvel:

Hulk Vs
Planet Hulk

Chris Burnham is Rafa-Comic Superstar status, in my book. Morrison's best artistic collaborator on this run, and considering he worked with Quitely and Williams III, I don't say that lightly.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Dark Knight Returns 1 + 2 are pretty much my favorite DC animated films. Year One was alright-to-good but DKR 1 + 2 are the gold standard for me now.

tim1138

Chris Burnham is Rafa-Comic Superstar status, in my book. Morrison's best artistic collaborator on this run, and considering he worked with Quitely and Williams III, I don't say that lightly.

I agree 100%. I don't think anyone channeled Morrison's well, Morrison-ness, to the page as well as Burnham did (for Batman, not as a blanket statement).

kswiston

I agree 100%. I don't think anyone channeled Morrison's well, Morrison-ness, to the page as well as Burnham did (for Batman, not as a blanket statement).

My favorite bit of art from this issue was the two mirror panels showing Bruce Wayne's facial injuries and how he got them as Batman.

Huh. I HATED Sami Basri's art on Voodoo, but I LOVE it on the Flash Annual today.

I mean head of heels love.

The annuals have really been excellent today. Superman Ann showed my that we fucking need a Lois Lane monthly forthwith!

It helps that he's a big Batman fanboy, in that he'll draw everything Morrison asked, and then add his own thing. Like in Batman Inc #2 which is Talia's origin story, Grant said "Talia kicks a tree". Burnham sees that and sees, "ooh, Year One reference", and raws an exact parrel to Mazzchulli's Year One Bruce Wayne kicking a tree.

talia.png

yearone.jpg

tim1138

Huh. I HATED Sami Basri's art on Voodoo, but I LOVE it on the Flash Annual today.

The annuals have really been excellent today. Superman Ann showed my that we fucking need a Lois Lane monthly forthwith!

The Flash Annual was so good, the main story was the breath of fresh air I needed from the boring Reverse Flash arc and I loved how interconnected everything ended up being in the backup.

I haven't read the Animal Man Annual yet, but have high expectations since it's Lemire and Foreman.

Lots of people spitting truth about the role artists in the industry lately, eg Dennis Culver

been looking for a good LL story, might pick up the annual. Not a Lobdell fan though

The Flash Annual was so good, the main story was the breath of fresh air I needed from the boring Reverse Flash arc and I loved how interconnected everything ended up being in the backup.

I haven't read the Animal Man Annual yet, but have high expectations since it's Lemire and Foreman.

Animal Man I liked, and it deserves a re-read to see if I love it. I cannot say a bad word about the annuals.

been looking for a good LL story, might pick up the annual. Not a Lobdell fan though

Give it a shot. He's not my fave, but I think he gets more flak than he deserves. This one shot I can recommend without reservations.

Dazz in Uncanny made my whole week! <3 <3 <3

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fear Agent: Re-Ignition - fucking awesome. I'm glad there's some more pulpy sci-fi out there. My shelf really only had The Ballad of Halo Jones before this. So glad I still have ~300 pages and another volume with this series.

No Man's Land: Vol 3 - I remember liking his GI Joe comics as a kid, but I really can't stand Larry Hama's writing here. I think it's trying to be fun and less grimdark, but it's so cheesy, lacking wit and full of awful banter during boring fights, while still being about some particularly dark concepts. It's kind of an ugly combination.

Even seasoned artists still sign WFH agreements guaranteeing them no pay if their employer decides the completed issue they drew wasn&#8217;t right for them.

Whaaaaaaat? That's just obscene. That's basically drawing on spec except with a slightly more credible promise that something will come of it.

frye

Ok, I said I thought I would be disappointed with Inc 13 but I actually kind of loved it. Great finale.

My main problems with Morrison's Batman (shit artists, beholden to the whims of the shared universe, and being incredibly overlong) were all pretty much solved by Incorporated v2: it looks great, it got to do whatever it wanted for the most part, and it's lean and mean (really really mean).

Make sure you also check out the DC showcases short movies... Some of those are great, Jonah Hex is pretty good, and Catwoman was surprisingly great i thought... Haven't seen the Shazam! one yet.

That ending to What If AvX. :D

I don't care if it wasn't earned, I don't care if it came out of nowhere, I don't care if it's forced... it gave me the warm and fuzzies anyway.

tim1138

Animal Man I liked, and it deserves a re-read to see if I love it. I cannot say a bad word about the annuals.

Not only was the Animal Man Annual great, it was heartbreaking. When he wants to, Lemire is a master of tugging on heartstrings, especially when it comes to fathers and sons.

Guardians of the Galaxy-I feel this is a pretty important book in as far as Infinity is concerned. The thing that Star-Lord saw...
Was that him with Jean Grey??

Plus the cameos were great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom