• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2014. Bringing you great father-son bonding moments since 1940.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

What is ComicGAFs general opinion of The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween.

I still have the Long Halloween on my shelf and I'll eventually get around to reading it. As for The Killing Joke, I'd highly recommend it to any reader who has the slightest interest in Batman and/or Joker. It gives you a slightly sympathetic look into Joker's origin and makes comparisons on how both Batman and Joker are alike. The ending was superb as well. The only knock if give it was that it felt very short, haha. Like a rollercoaster, the thrill is amazing once you're on it but once it's done, you're craving for more.

Controversial opinion time. I just finished this trade a day or two ago and I just didn't like it at all: Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. It took me months just to read it because the first 2/3rds of the book was so uninteresting. I don't like having to read 16 "panels" on one page with the media talking heads and then being slammed into another 16 on the next one as well. I'll write more when I get home today.

Messi

I still have the Long Halloween on my shelf and I'll eventually get around to reading it. As for The Killing Joke, I'd highly recommend it to any reader who has the slightest interest in Batman and/or Joker. It gives you a slightly sympathetic look into Joker's origin and makes comparisons on how both Batman and Joker are alike. The ending was superb as well. The only knock if give it was that it felt very short, haha. Like a rollercoaster, the thrill is amazing once you're on it but once it's done, you're craving for more.

Controversial opinion time. I just finished this trade a day or two ago and I just didn't like it at all: Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns. It took me months just to read it because the first 2/3rds of the book was so uninteresting. I don't like having to read 16 "panels" on one page with the media talking heads and then being slammed into another 16 on the next one as well. I'll write more when I get home today.

Oh this is going to be good.

Let the hate flow.

Zombine

Banned

The Dark Knight Returns is college-level reading. Shit made my brain hurt.

And Messi, the Killing Joke is absolute perfection. Love me some Bolland.

I hate handwriting text in comic book, shit hard to read... and add nothing but novelty, Year one have a lot of those.

Yeah I hate that too.

The absolute worst is when books randomly decide to include cursive fonts for some sections. They always choose fonts that are basically illegible. Always.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
You guys!!! New Bat books announced! Gotham Acedemy and Arkham Manor.

@Ssnyder1835: Coming in Oct: GOTHAM ACADEMY by @beckycloonan @karlkerschl & @brendenfletcher -fresh, twisted young Gotham (in cont) http://t.co/t60oxjLR11

@Ssnyder1835: And also, ARKHAM MANOR: by pal @GerryDuggan and @shawncrystal - no place like home, right? http://t.co/70vaK7hxCs

first one looks like ghost boy detectives but with girls.... second one is idk why villians would be in wayne manor unless bruce decided to make his secret lair into a jail or something.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
As long as they're not weeklies, I'm onboard. Gerry Duggan is a dope writer.

phoenixyz

I wouldn't say "I didn't like it at all" but I'm not a huge fan either. It feels like it really didn't age very well.

Messi

In for both on first look. Gotham Academy seems right up my alleyway.

Is that a really bad looking Harley Quinn in the Arkham Manor art?

Rafa brah. Are you throwing shade at my girl Amanda Conner? She is great at writing and art.

Owzers

Did i miss the link here? People keep talking about more batman books and Gotham Academy so i eventually went to newsarama and that's real? Hmmmmm.

edit: yep, top of the page Xo

Bii

I hate handwriting text in comic book, shit hard to read... and add nothing but novelty, Year one have a lot of those.

Oh man. This.
It's why I haven't picked up Arkham Asylum yet. I've seen previews of some of the pages and I was like NOPE!

Messi

It's much much MUCH smaller in Arkham.

batman-arkham-asylum.jpg

No thank you...

batman-arkham-asylum.jpg

No thank you...

I glanced at this really quickly and thought it said "Let the feels begin!" and I was about to go damn I gotta read this.

Now I see that was incorrect, and while I do still need to read it, it is no longer a priority.
I don't know how I've gone this long with reading Arkham Asylum tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom