• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2013. Pinching Dr. Banner? Bad idea; Hulk pinches you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

From issue #6 :
tumblr_md6e3itNwr1rv6ryzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_md6e3itNwr1rv6ryzo2_500.jpg

The context being, Alan Moore actually used a golliwog without acknowledging how fucked up that is in Black Dossier.

That's also a pretty good Grant Morrison slam.

frye

Maybe I'm not up on my Golliwog news, but what did Morrison do in 2007?

She's talking about the Golliwog (and Moore/O'Neill's usage of it) but look who she's addressing.

Inc. is cool and all but it's kiiinda racist at times. Especially wrt to its depiction of the Middle East, but it looks like Mieville is taking issue with Man of Bats.

"You wouldn't go out like that, right?"

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
She's talking about the Golliwog (and Moore/O'Neill's usage of it) but look who she's addressing.

Inc. is cool and all but it's kiiinda racist at times. Especially wrt to its depiction of the Middle East, but it looks like Mieville is taking issue with Man of Bats.

That line appears to be in reference to Golliwog, not the Native American look... unless there's some context missed.

frye

That line appears to be in reference to Golliwog, not the Native American look... unless there's some context missed.

It's not as explicit as the Moore thing, but I doubt that the character being a Native American caricature at that point is unintentional.

ElNarez

Banned
It's what was supposed to be his second arc on Avenging Spider-Man. He must have been at it for a while. It'll make it through.

akira28

Yeah, those wild feathers, and that gigantic nipple. Noble savage hero, etc. I thought there was a point to it.

That top panel reminds me of a famous pop art image though.

Lombaszko

If Mieville takes issue with Man of Bats, he either didn't read or appreciate the Man of Bats issue from Batman Inc. #7 from before the New 52. That was a surprisingly heartfelt description of life on a Native American reservation.

jaxword

Joe Mad is a great artist, but man, he really does not care ONE bit about details. Ultimates 3 proved that he barely even knew the Ultimate universe was different than 616, and judging by Wolverine apparently towering over Spidey, he doesn't care there either.

From issue #6 :
tumblr_md6e3itNwr1rv6ryzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_md6e3itNwr1rv6ryzo2_500.jpg

The context being, Alan Moore actually used a golliwog without acknowledging how fucked up that is in Black Dossier.

Moore knew full well how messed up the Golliwog is--it's still being sold today in stores. And remember that Moore DELIBERATELY was showing the original versions of fictional characters, i.e. Bond being a mysoginistic rapist, as he was back in the early books. Racist depictions of characters were still part of fiction, whether we like it or not.

Joe Mad is a great artist, but man, he really does not care ONE bit about details. Ultimates 3 proved that he barely even knew the Ultimate universe was different than 616, and judging by Wolverine apparently towering over Spidey, he doesn't care there either.

That's not Wolverine, it's Hugh Jackman. Spidey wants him to autograph his..uhhh...six pack...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Holy shit, All New X-Men can only end poorly from here. For reals, this cannot possibly go well. On the upside Scott is awesome as shit.

Superior Spidey has also hit what looks to be a tipping point (
Otto straight up murdered a guy and has gone all 1984 on the city
).

Avengers also got real in a big way.

It's like all the editors at Marvel just went and told everyone to make sure shit got realer than real this week.

Does anyone know where I can find release dates of upcoming issues of Injustice: Gods Among Us?

Also would like to know where I can buy a physical copy of it

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Well Age of Ultron was terrible. If you'd just done a fat one page text box of "Theres loads of Ultrons, apocalyptic future, superheroes are in hiding" and a collage we'd have moved shit along faster than whatever the fuck that was.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
By the time he finishes drawing enough issues for them to solicit, Peter Parker will be back to being Spider-man :p

His marriage will be back too

And the new deadpool trailer made me realize how much I really fucking hate waypool. Like really hate

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
His marriage will be back too

And the new deadpool trailer made me realize how much I really fucking hate waypool. Like really hate

Jokes that barely tickle a quick page flip of humour dragged out over a 10-20 hour videogame. Can you even imagine how bad it will be at its absolute worst?

An actual Uncanny X-Force game would have been fucking incredible though. But instead of course game devs go for the low hanging easy to lick fruit.

i enjoyed waypool but at some point it became rote and i stopped enjoying it. between deadpool MAX and UXF deadpool was awesome. now we get 4thwall joke deadpool again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom