• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2015. Those things your favorite movie/show/game/etc. was based on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I read Squirrel Girl with my 7 year old daughter and that comic makes her laugh out loud several times an issue.
Doreen would be great as the face of a young reader outreach program. I should be able to order the first trade through Scholastic.

She is the perfect character for kids of that age. She really should be the face that Marvel pushes out to kids.

mreddie

I read Squirrel Girl with my 7 year old daughter and that comic makes her laugh out loud several times an issue.
Doreen would be great as the face of a young reader outreach program. I should be able to order the first trade through Scholastic.

Basically a Marvel version of what DC announced a few weeks back? Yes! But who else would be in the roster?

Widow
Carol
Doreen
Drew
Wasp

tim1138

portrait_incredible.jpg

It has Throg in it? Sold.

I don't believe you, Tim. I'm on to your horseism.

Yo, not even close. Apparently you missed my lament that the Thor Corps in Secret Wars isn't a BRB Corps.

The video store I work at and have come to since forever ago is finally closing down next month. Even though it was bound to happen eventually, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed, dudes. Think I'm gonna finish the second half of Superior Foes and listen to old Talkradars to un-bum myself
Sorry to hear that brother :(
So what's some non-big 2 stuff that would be worth picking up, both ongoing and older? I'm looking at my shelves and really realizing the ratio of Marvel/DC to stuff that isn't is way too high.

I can't remember, are you reading Deadly Class? If not, you should. Sex Criminals is also great.

mreddie

The video store I work at and have come to since forever ago is finally closing down next month. Even though it was bound to happen eventually, I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty bummed, dudes. Think I'm gonna finish the second half of Superior Foes and listen to old Talkradars to un-bum myself

Hope you get back on your feet ASAP.

tim1138

So what's some non-big 2 stuff that would be worth picking up, both ongoing and older? I'm looking at my shelves and really realizing the ratio of Marvel/DC to stuff that isn't is way too high.

Manhattan Projects!
Zero!
God Hates Astronauts!
Sex Criminals!
Casanova!
ODY-C!
Fear Agent!
Hellboy!

Squire

Banned
I really want A Force to succeed. If only so we can get more America Chavez and She Hulk

Seige is more relevant to America's success. Gillen will probably keep her around as long as he can.

Jen really should just take priority over Carol.

Is n52 Question a randian creep like the old one?

Also squirrel armor is the best armor. No falafels down here, sadly.

I thought the Question stopped being a Randian creep the moment Dennis O'Neil got his hands on him.

At any rate, he's like the animated Question except he's immortal and otherwise supernatural and he doesn't known his own goddamn name. Also, it's not a mask, he actually doesn't have a face. And he's not funny.
He can transform his face to look like other faces. And his skin color. That's just his true face.

New 52 Question is terrible. I like his dialogue quirk though, where every single piece of his dialogue is, in fact, a question.
Hrrrrmmmmm

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It seems that Anka, Wada and Quinones are working on a hipster version of Guardians at pheonix comic con lol

CGWklKIU8AAhizI.jpg

need this in my life

Manhattan Projects!
Zero!
God Hates Astronauts!
Sex Criminals!
Casanova!
ODY-C!
Fear Agent!
Hellboy!

loved this to pieces.

Remender's Fear Agent and Hickman's FF/F4 both blend this heady sci-fi stuff with a grand scale of adventure wrapped around themes of fatherhood and it just works perfectly.

It also helps that it is a neatly wrapped up story from start to finish. No cross overs, tie ins, cancellations/reboots. Just a great, complete story.

Messi

I really enjoyed Gail Simone's recent Red Sonja run. #1-16 which just concluded.

Gails run is over?

Seige is more relevant to America's success. Gillen will probably keep her around as long as he can.

Jen really should just take priority over Carol.

America is in Siege?

I agree that it should be Jen over Carol. Carol has her own book to be promoted in.

So many cancelled series.

Didn't want to be the one to say it. Not that it is any indication of their quality. Zero is fantastic. As are Sex Crims and God Hates Astronauts. I have not read the rest.

I would add in Chew as I love it and it is great. Lots of volumes to but it is an easy read.

hmm batman long halloween sounds interesting. And im glad to hear about earth one continuing, I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed them.

Yeah. Johns said he'd like 1 Volume every 12-18 months but considering he's a higher up at DC and Frank is a hard working artist in his own right AND Johns wants to do a Shazam ongoing with Frank...basically other things get in the way.

If you wanted to branch out from Batman a bit then I'd recommend Wonder Woman by Azzarello + Chiang, from the New 52 as a new reader friendly but still very good run. Heavy use of greek mythology etc.

Squirrel Girl and Gotham Academy are both great series that I'd like to see more of from Marvel/DC. They're great for all ages and are legitimately good comics. They're the kind of stuff you could recommend to anyone.

America is in Siege?

Spoilers for Siege's awesome cast:

Abigail Brand is joined by an eclectic cast for Siege, including Miss America Chavez from Young Avengers, Leah of Hel from Journey Into Mystery, Illyanna Rasputin from All-NEw X-Men, a medieval version of Kate "Hawkeye" Bishop, a number of UNITs from S.W.O.R.D. and an army of clones from Mr. Sinister called the Endless Summers.

Taken from rama

I'd read Secret Wars Journal #1 before Siege, too

Pretty much anything Valiant: Harbinger; X-O Manowar; Archer & Armstrong; The Death-Defying Dr. Mirage; Ivar, Timewalker. Those are just some my favorites, but I'm not sure how they're putting out such consistently great comics across the board.
Deadly Class
Lazarus
Sex Criminals
The Walking Dead
The Fade Out
Saga
Revival
Velvet

I feel like most of my favs live on the cancellation line and each month I have to hope they don't dip below it. Bar the one exception of Harley which sells silly amounts multiple times a month

Everything I want to do well, like Superior Foes or New Warriors, ends up getting cancelled :/

Squire

Banned
Well shit. lol

If it's any consolation, they said America was a Seige mainstay from the minute they announced the book, so they never really treated it like a huge plot point.

But yeah, A-Force #1 is primarily about her exit. You'll see soon enough.

MG310

It seems that Anka, Wada and Quinones are working on a hipster version of Guardians at pheonix comic con lol

That Gamora is legit fantastic

Todd Nauck did the Gamora, Nick Bradshaw did the Angela...not sure about Rocket.

I've thought about getting a jam piece like that done but get paranoid that it'll get destroyed/stolen across multiple conventions.

ElNarez

Banned
Superior Foes didn't feel canned at all.

Felt like a nicely paced arc start-to-finish for the crew.

I feel like I've already said Marvel had a new post-Hawkeye standard of getting a creative team to do exactly 15 issue runs and bail, beucase it just keeps happening.

tim1138

My wife has completely taken over the Wii U and Splatoon. She's already level 10 and halfway done with the campaign. I think I'm only level 6 and have only beaten the first boss.

Convergence: Nightwing and Oracle: This was really good but I don't understand why Barbara went out to fight Hawkgirl and had Black Canary doing the hacking. Like, wouldn't it have made like 1000% more sense for it to be the opposite? Lol?

Wasn't Superior Foes just kinda done though? I remember reading that it wasn't planned to last any longer than it did

I'm starting to feel naked with no twix in my avatar

Superior Foes didn't feel canned at all.

Felt like a nicely paced arc start-to-finish for the crew.

Probably shouldn't have used Superior Foes as an example, but still, Marvel did some annoying things with that series (and my heart) before it did end. Their justification for raising the price per issue was to help it live longer at its current sales IIRC, which was kind of a load of shit.

The series was scheduled to have just 15 issues, and it technically was if you ignore the two random filler issues.

I miss it :'(

Messi

Todd Nauck did the Gamora, Nick Bradshaw did the Angela...not sure about Rocket.

I've thought about getting a jam piece like that done but get paranoid that it'll get destroyed/stolen across multiple conventions.

I feel like Quinones did that Carol at a different con. Thats kind of a cool idea for a team piece.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I've already said Marvel had a new post-Hawkeye standard of getting a creative team to do exactly 15 issue runs and bail, beucase it just keeps happening.

And it worked really well for Superior Foes and Kot's Secret Avengers. I say let em. It sucks when the books end but at least they go out on a high note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom