• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

NOTE: Banner tomorrow, sleep now.

I am putting this right out front so you guys will know well in advance: I will not be making the OT for December 2015. I am going on vacation starting Thanksgiving week, and I just want to relax and take things nice and easy, so that means no OT from me.

MR6n8.png

BGGT3zE.jpg

7RCNyRI.jpg

+Uncanny X-Men #600 by Brian Michael Bendis and Various Artists (Nov 4). Bendis bids a fond farewell to the X-Men, five months late! Who lives and who dies? Who's right and who's wrong? And who else is coming out of the closet?
+The Vision #1 by Tom King and Gabriel Walta (Nov 4). Vision's overwhelming desire to be human has driven him to create a wife and children of his own! Can a family of superpowered androids live the suburban American dream without incident?
+All-New All-Different Avengers #1 by Mark Waid and Adam Kubert (Nov 11). Earth's Mightiest Heroes are back, and they're more diverse than ever! When a threat from beyond the stars puts the planet in jeopardy, these heroes are ready to answer the call!
+The Ultimates #1 by Al Ewing and Kenneth Rocafort (Nov 11). Solving problems that affect the cosmos! On the edge of the multiverse these heroes will endeavor to do the impossible -- and they're starting with ending the threat of Galactus, once and for all!
+Ms. Marvel #1 by G. Willow Wilson, Takeshi Miyazawa and Adrian Alphona (Nov 18). She's conquered Jersey, she's battled Inhumans, and she's survived the end of all existence. Now, can Kamala Khan handle the pressure and fame that comes with being an Avenger?
+Star Wars: Vader Down #1 by Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato (Nov 18). When the Dark Lord of the Sith crash lands on remote planet, the Rebellion seizes the opportunity to strike. Little do they know just how dangerous a cornered Darth Vader can be!

QV0uw.png

0JZkWx4.jpg

yY7mrPj.jpg

+Unfollow #1 by Rob Williams and Michael Dowling (Nov 4). When a dying internet billionaire bequeaths his fortune to 140 strangers from across the globe, these ordinary people will quickly discover to what depths humanity will sink in the name of greed.
+Slash & Burn #1 by Si Spencer, Max Dunbar and Ande Parks (Nov 11). Rosheen Hayes is a firefighter with a gift and a terrible secret. When a chance encounter triggers something inside her, she beings to wonder if her heroism is a cover for the fire burning within...
+Superman: American Alien #1 by Max Landis and Nick Dragotta (Nov 11). This is not the story of Superman, Man of Steel and savior of Metropolis. This is the story of Clark Kent, Kansas farmboy, struggling alongside his parents to understand himself.
+Batman Europa #1 by Matteo Casali, Brian Azzarello, Giusseppe Camuncoli and Lim Lee (Nov 18). The Dark Knight has been infected with a deadly incurable virus, and time is running out! Batman's only hope of salvation lies in the hands of his worst enemy: the psychotic clown known as Joker!
+Dark Knight III: The Master Race #1 by Frank Miller, Brian Azzarello, and Andy Kubert (Nov 25). Here it comes: the sequel to the most acclaimed Batman story of all time (and to a less-than favorably received earlier sequel) that DC knows you're too weak to resist! An ancient Dark Knight must take up arms again to stop the coming of... THE MASTER RACE!
+Jacked #1 by Eric Kripke and John Higgins (Nov 25). Stuck in a rut and suffering through a midlife crisis, family man Josh Jaffe orders a so-called "smart pill" online to increase his focus -- only to discover the miracle pill grants him superpowers!

9sam5.png

Rh8Tw0k.jpg

aaHGMPm.jpg

+Monstress #1 by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (Nov 4). In this steampunk fantasy epic from the creative team behind X-23, a girl named Maika will risk her life and more to gain control over her link to a monstrous beast of incredible power.
+The Goddamned #1 by Jason Aaron, R.M. Guera and Giulia Brusco (Nov 11). Centuries after Adam and Eve were cast out, the world has become a dark and cruel place full of monsters, mayhem and the savagery of man. Welcome to life after Eden.
+Huck #1 by Mark Millar and Rafael Albuquerque (Nov 18). For years the people living in a sleepy seaside village have kept one very big secret for their hometown hero, a man named Huck. But when a newcomer in town shares that secret with the media, Huck's life will irrevocably change forever.
+Pretty Deadly #6 by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios (Nov 18). The critically acclaimed series returns with a new story arc! Ginny, Fox and Sissy have survived their battle with Death, and now they face new horrors in the world of the 20th Century.
+Jupiter's Circle, vol. 2 #1 by Mark Millar and Wilfredo Torres (Nov 25). Publically, they're the world's greatest heroes. Privately, their lives are a mess, filled with deceit and addiction and rivalries that will ultimately alter the course of human history and involve their children in deadly feuds.
+Ringside #1 by Joe Keatinge, Nick Barber and Simon Gough (Nov 25). Behind the glamor and over-the-top violence of the professional wrestling you watch every week on TV, there lies another world. And that world is definitely not pretty.

9CWx4.png

1dQFS1m.jpg

S1TOARg.jpg

+Joe Golem: Occult Detective #1 by Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden and Patric Reynolds (Nov 4). Decades after portions of Manhattan were submerged under thirty feet of water, the city's children are disappearing beneath the waves. Now, Joe Golem will hunt the creature or creatures responsible and solve the case.
+Abe Sapien #28 by Mike Mignola, Scott Allie and Max Fiumara (Nov 11). As the global disaster continues unabated, Abe meets someone with answers about the apocalypse, as well as what role Abe will be destined to play in it.
+Adam.3 #4 by Scott Kolins (Nov 25). Everyone Adam knows and loves -- his wife, his unborn child, his animal friends -- have gone missing, as the jungle paradise he calls home is transformed into a nightmarish realm. Can Adam stop this infection from spreading further?
+Empowered Special #7: PEW! PEW! PEW! by Adam Warren (Nov 25). Spray and pray! As costumed crimefighter Empowered deals with an endless array of supervillains, she begins to ponder the source of their fixations on wielding increasingly large rayguns.
+Fight Club 2 #7 by Chuck Palahniuk and Cameron Stewart (Nov 25). Hoping to rescue his son, Sebastian must bluff his way into Tyler's hideout. How? By pretending to be Tyler himself! Can Sebastian pull off this charade before it's too late?
+Itty Bitty Hellboy: Search for the Were-Jaguar #1 by Art Baltazar and Franco (Nov 25). Hellboy and his pals at the BPRD are on a special assignment: delivering underpants to the Island of Rogers! Once on the island, though, they encounter the strange were-jaguar!

ymY7S.png

a4oKgud.jpg

5o0xSVo.jpg

+Orphan Black: Helsinki #1 by Graeme Manson, John Fawcett, Heli Kennedy, Denton Tipton and Alan Quah (Nov 4). "Helsinki." It's a word that the clones of Project Leda deeply fear, for to hear it spoken means almost certain death. Learn the secrets of Helsinki, and why they have every right to be afraid.
+Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1 by Nick Roche (Nov 4). Prowl has been kidnapped by parties unknown, and the Autobots aren't so sure they want him back! Only one group of Cybertronians is damaged enough to offer him aid: the Wreckers, reunited!
+Andre the Giant: Closer to Heaven by Brandon Easton and Denis Medri (Nov 11). For decades, he thrilled arenas around the world with his freakish size, strength and wrestling prowess. Now witness the little-known story of the man behind the legend, from his humble beginnings to the fateful moments that turned a man into a giant.
+G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #219 by Larry Hama and S.L. Gallant (Nov 11). COBRA is up to something, and Hawk is determined to stop whatever they're scheming before it starts. He'll quickly discover, however, that it's already too late to stop COBRA's plans -- and that they're far bigger than anyone could have dreamed.
+Jem and the Holograms #9 by Kelly Thompson and Emma Vieceli (Nov 18). The Holograms' latest music video is a viral sensation, and to celebrate the band throws a huge party! Everyone's invited... including a few party-crashers looking to make trouble.
+Our Expanding Universe by Alex Robinson (Nov 25). A lot can change in fifteen years. People get married, have children, start affairs, get divoced... and sometimes not in that order. A group of friends is about to reunite and learn just how much or how little they still know about each other.

4T1fu.png

VzxZ2kS.jpg

WyrPSVr.jpg

+James Bond #1 by Warren Ellis and Jason Masters (Dynamite, Nov 4). After a mission to Finland, secret agent James Bond returns to London to take up the caseload of a fallen spy. But James will soon discover the agent's last case is what did him in, and now those responsible have him in their sights...
+Klaus #1 by Grant Morrison and Dan Mora (Boom!, Nov 4). Everyone knows Santa Claus, right? Jolly old fat man from the North Pole, red suit and snowy beard, bringing presents to all the good little boys and girl throughout the world in one night in a sleigh led by flying reindeer? Well, that's one version... this is another.
+Exodus: The Life After #1 by Joshua Hale Fialkov and Gabo (Oni, Nov 4). As Jude languishes in Purgatory, without memory of his past life, his friends embark on a dangerous mission to free him, so he can resume his quest to overthrow the Almighty.
+Wakfu #1 by Kahel, Mig and Saturax (Titan, Nov 11). Based on the insanely popular animated French series! Yugo and his adventuring companiions have wandered into an abandoned amusement park, which one of their party might never leave!
+Will Eisner: Champion of the Graphic Novel by Paul Levitz and Others (Abrams Comicarts, Nov 11). Long considered one of the fathers of comics storytelling, Will Eisner's life and legacy are immense. Using unpublished and rare works from the Eisner archives, along with interviews with creators who knew and were inspired by him, historian Paul Levitz offers a comprehensive look at the man behind the legend.
+Wrath of the Eternal Warrior #1 by Robert Venditti and Raul Allen (Valiant, Nov 18). For milennia the Eternal Warrior has served the planet Earth, as her immortal champion and greatest warrior. Now though, the Warrior finds himself sepearated from home, stranded on a hostile alien world, and faced with an uncertain future.

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. Purple is definitely NOT your color. >:|

Happy reading!

Sandfox

My five most anticipated books this month in order are:
Nova
ANAD Avengers
Extraordinary X-Men
All-New Wolverine
Silk

with Deadpool and the last issue of Uncanny getting honorable mentions

I just picked up the Leia comics and while I enjoy it it kinda bugs me.
Comic Leia is like a completely different character from movie Leia and its kinda hard to get over.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It really fucking pains me to see Nick Dragotta working with douchebag extraordinaire Max Landis.

---

I don't really know much about this, but I'm interested in this translated collection that Fantagraphics is releasing this month:

Fantagraphics is proud to publish, for the first time in English, a graphic novel so powerful its main character’s image (much like Che Guevara’s) has become a potent symbol of the endless struggle against oppression; “Juan Salvo” appears on walls and in subways throughout Latin America to this day. This seminal Argentinian science fiction graphic novel was originally released as a serial from 1957–59. Juan Salvo, its inimitable protagonist, along with his friend Professor Favalli and the tenacious metalworker Franco, face what appears to be a nuclear accident, but quickly turns out to be something much bigger than they imagined. Cold War tensions, aliens of all sizes, space—and time travel—this one has it all.

The Eternaut is also thinly disguised political allegory: its writer, Héctor Germán Oesterheld (HGO), because he was involved in groups who protested the military dictatorship, was “disappeared” and presumed dead in 1977. Classical artist Francisco Solano López (who had to flee Argentina for Spain) illustrated the book in a gritty, realistic style. This collaboration between two of the biggest names in Latin American comics is still powerful: the story of Juan Salvo, fighting to save Argentina and the world, lives on in sequels, retellings, and adaptations.

It really fucking pains me to see Nick Dragotta working with douchebag extraordinaire Max Landis.
I don't understand the hate for Max. Never have. Then again I've never paid attention to him outside of his video content, which I quite like.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't understand the hate for Max. Never have. Then again I've never paid attention to him outside of his video content, which I quite like.
He's a classic guy born on third base who believes he hit a triple. His shitty writing and Internet stuff depend entirely on mash-ups, nostalgia and tacky subversions like a third-rate Mark Millar. There's the misogyny-riddled interviews he's given. And there's the simple fact that I live in Los Angeles and I know several people who've encountered him and had awful experiences. Well known for treating a certain movie theater as his own personal living room.

---

I don't really know much about this, but I'm interested in this translated collection that Fantagraphics is releasing this month:
this sounds amazing. thanks for bringing it up! will add to must have list

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm amazed Frank Miller is allowed anywhere near Batman after Holy Terror. Anyway, Bond by Ellis & Ewing on The Ultimates look interesting.

Boogiepop

So I read Hellboy: Weird Tales last night and... yeah, it was okay. Pretty much what one would expect I guess, from an anthology of shorts from various teams. Not much stood out to me too hard and a few were pretty eh, but whatever. Not sure I'd ever recommend it, but I don't regret buying it or anything.

---

El Eternauta is a really iconic and interesting comic Some parts don't hold up as well right now, but I really recommend it.
I hope it gets a good translation, I bought a vintage paperback in Argentina some years ago.

I'd like to do the December thread if that's okay with everyone. I may ask for some help if I do so.

Forgot the Wakfu comic was coming out this month, I hope it's good. The cartoon is awesome.

Is it me or does the Batman Europa synopsis sound like the story of Arkham City?

Lots of books to be excited for this month. Bond and Vader Down especially.

ElNarez

Banned
If I'm not in charge of December's OT I'm going Rich Johnston on all of y'all.

By which I mean I'm gonna leak your private conversations because you've called my website in doubt. Which is a thing he's done.

RICH JOHNSTON DOING RICH JOHNSTON THINGS. Ba-dum tsss

I'm not gonna do that, but I can still do the December OT. I just wanted to give you the latest happs on the "Bleeding Cool editor getting a job at Dark Horse" news.

When is the MMPR Comic coming out?

January.

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #0
Retail Price: $3.99
Writers: Kyle Higgins, Mairghread Scott, Steve Orlando
Artists: Hendry Prasetyo, Daniel Bayliss
Cover Artist: Goñi Montes
Synopsis:
What’s to Love: Saban’s Power Rangers is a multi-generational, globally recognized franchise. With its epic Ranger suits, giant Zords and Megazords, and—at its core—a story of super powered teens who defend the world from evil, the Power Rangers series is a pop-culture phenomenon that has continued to resonate with fans for more than 22 years. We, as huge Power Rangers fans ourselves, are excited to produce a modern Power Rangers comic featuring the iconic characters from the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series.

What It Is: It’s Morphin Time! Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers make their BOOM! Studios comic debut in this kick-off #0 issue, which sets the stage for the rest of the series. After escaping Rita Repulsa’s mind control, Tommy Oliver, the Green Ranger, joins up with the rest of the Power Rangers to combat her never-ending evil plans. Any semblance of a normal life is gone for Tommy now, but with his newfound family there lies hope for a brighter path. Includes the short story from the San Diego Comic-Con exclusive Mighty Morphin Power Rangers comics!

Seven covers, one for each colour Ranger with White being rarer than the others.

If I'm not in charge of December's OT I'm going Rich Johnston on all of y'all.

By which I mean I'm gonna leak your private conversations because you've called my website in doubt. Which is a thing he's done.

RICH JOHNSTON DOING RICH JOHNSTON THINGS. Ba-dum tsss

I'm not gonna do that, but I can still do the December OT. I just wanted to give you the latest happs on the "Bleeding Cool editor getting a job at Dark Horse" news.
disgusting

Rich Johnson is a fragile little fuck

Usagi Yojimbo - The Tower and A Mothers Love: Two such great stories, back to back. The Tower was more of a fun interlude with great art and a new traveling companion for Usagi. But A Mothers Love was something special. I keep raving about the art but when a "simple" panel like this can bring you close to tears, that tells you something about Sakai's storytelling prowess.

VanWinkle

I need opinions on two Dark Horse series. Fear Agent and The Goon. Interested in buying the library editions for them.

Owzers

I need opinions on two Dark Horse series. Fear Agent and The Goon. Interested in buying the library editions for them.

i've read the first trade of both, i'd definitely get Fear Agent and am a little apprehensive to recommend The Goon just because it's quite a long series and i don't like comic commitment, it was good but not " buy everything!" good.

VanWinkle

i've read the first trade of both, i'd definitely get Fear Agent and am a little apprehensive to recommend The Goon just because it's quite a long series and i don't like comic commitment, it was good but not " buy everything!" good.

Cool. Is Fear Agent as a series done? There's two library volumes of it, so it would be nice if that is all there will be.

I would like to take this opportunity to formally announce that I am NOT running for the December OT. My family and my team have considered this question for a long time, and we believe that I would make a great OT, but it's simply too late to begin running.

Thank you.

Owzers

I would like to take this opportunity to formally announce that I am NOT running for the December OT. My family and my team have considered this question for a long time, and we believe that I would make a great OT, but it's simply too late to begin running.

Thank you.

Setting yourself up for a January OT run i see...

Owzers

let's read comic books today, we have a new thread here and everything.

you guys really should pick up the Army of Darkness humble bundle, it's fun comics if you like the property.

Daylight Savings Time have meesed me up so I have been up since 5:30 am. Read Star Wars vol 1 which I really liked. I'd say Aaron has a great grasp on the characters. I like how it's running side by side with Vader.

Also watched an episode of the Flash and a few episodes of Clone Wars.

Top Bottom