• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Yo I'm reading Y: The Last Man and this was better then I thought it was gonna be, the premise initially sounded anime as fuck but damn's it pretty good so far.

Anyone have similar recommendations?

Something adult-oriented.

Yo I'm reading Y: The Last Man and this was better then I thought it was gonna be, the premise initially sounded anime as fuck but damn's it pretty good so far.

Adult as the cast, or the tone? Sweet Tooth, Scalped, Unknown Soldier, Locke & Key, The Unwritten, Criminal. All *adult*/mature non cape completed comics. If you literally meant with adult characters as the focus, you'll need to eliminate one or two of those. Quite a few of those are from the same period of Vertigo, so they might push your buttons.

caliph95

From the same writer there is Ex machina, Saga and Pride of baghad (which a graphic novel comic equivalent of short book)
Adult as the cast, or the tone? Sweet Tooth, Scalped, Unknown Soldier, Locke & Key, The Unwritten, Criminal. All *adult*/mature non cape completed comics. If you literally meant with adult characters as the focus, you'll need to eliminate one or two of those. Quite a few of those are from the same period of Vertigo, so they might push your buttons.
Every he says

Hmmm I'm not really a Kirkman fan truth be told, but I find it hard to resist big monster books....Oblivion Song preview:

https://www.skybound.com/comics/robert-kirkman-oblivion-song-comic/

I gave up on walking dead years ago (though I imagine the comics still got to be way better than the tv show became) but this actually looks pretty intriguing. I just hope he mix's it up a bit, I know theres no zombies but there is still the whole post apocalyptic world thing going on.

Hmm as for recommendations for more adult orientated books, you probably already know about it after reading Y but Saga is great by the same writer. Don't be misled by the sci fi aspect and some of the cute characters, its a grown up book dealing with serious life issues. Apart from that I'll just throw a few more out there

Deadly Class, a book about a group of seriously damaged teenage misfits at a high school for assassins set in the 80,s. Its messed up and brilliant all at once.

Black Hammer, a cape book, but not your usual cape book. Its a book is inspired by the 50,s/60,s superheroes but then turns the idea on its head and turns it into a weird family drama/character piece.

Sheriff Of Babylon, a war drama set on one mans experiences during the iraq war. Funny and heartbreaking all at once and considering the writer Tom King was in the CIA (I know guys, HE WAS IN THE CIA!! *shocked face*). Actually I'd recommend anything by King, Vision as well especially.

caliph95

Is this the first Grant Morrison work that has been adapted (well ever since stuff like Walking Dead, seems like a lot of indie books are getting adapted)

Does this mean we will see more Grant Morrison drug induced insanity on the screen

NYCC Day 1:

THEN it was off to an event for Doomsday Clock, the Watchmen, um, sequel by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. I am not allowed to talk about the story, but Geoff did, walking through all 30 pages of art to explain what was happening and why he was doing it. I have never been to a press event like this. R. Sikoryak needs to get Geoff into Carousel when this is all over.

With the Robert Kirkman presser Wednesday morning and then this, comics press events are getting more and more elaborate and focused and I think it’s a good thing. Check back at 7 pm tomorrow here for the six pages of art they released.

Also these press events are great places to catch up with your fellow journos! Although as one wag put it (perhaps a wag with the initials HM) comics press events are getting good just as comics journalists are vanishing.

Anyway, I can’t say that I’m in FAVOR of a Watchmen sequel unless it’s by Eleanor Davis and Olivier Schrauwen. Johns’ passion for the project is immese however; he knows it’s risky, but he also called it the most personal story he’s ever written. So, it’s happening, and if it has to happen at least let it happen over pancakes.

Some Nobody

I've been gone for a couple days, so...

This is why we should just read indie

KIDDING

I'd just switch to manga.

Definitely true.

Comics is such a weird industry, in some ways its starting to become really progressive with series that represent different races, sexual orientation, feminism. With some great series by Boom and Image.

Then in an other way you'll see writers/artists and book characters ripped to shreds for trying to do anything different from the norm. With so many fans being well and truly bigots and racists about it.

I couldn't tell you if things are improving or getting worse *shrugs*

The fascinating thing about comics is that they've always had heavy progressive elements. Superman was a literal social justice warrior. Captain America was a New Deal Democrat. Editors and EiCs have pushed for PoC/women when possible. In the 80's they let Iron Man be black for several years. The Avengers were half women for a good while. The medium's creative influences are as progressive as any other medium I'd argue, so why are so many of the fans Nazi dickbags? I'm baffled.

Wasp and Spider-Man rivalry is great

Nah. If you don't like Spidey I just assume you're a dick, or a villain. Nadia's such a nice girl--she's gotta get it together. Much as I loved Waid's "I don't have to like everybody" reasoning, Spidey shouldn't be the guy you go "...Nah. Fuck that dude." to.

Tom Strong in the DCU? That's... weird. Hardly a Watchmen situation, though.

Tom Strong is so much better than Watchmen, and the whole point of the ABC universe is to create a fictional, connected universe with no superheroes in it. I'm the biggest cape fan you'll ever meet, but...I'm not here for this.

Hey look! ANOTHER horror title announced from Image.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'd like indie comics more if their answer to capes wasn't usually dystopian stories and horror fiction. Where's the non-dystopian sci-fi? Did Saga come out and everyone just gave up? lol.

Was gutted to discover the NYCC threeA Black Widow was in a blister pack. If I’m dropping $160 I should be getting a fucking dope ass box to display the thing on.

It’s like they no nothing about me. Pass.

Might get the Electrogor plush today tho.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is this the first Grant Morrison work that has been adapted (well ever since stuff like Walking Dead, seems like a lot of indie books are getting adapted)

Does this mean we will see more Grant Morrison drug induced insanity on the screen
Some of the recent DC animated movies are based on his work, right?

Otherwise, yea, I think this is the first to make it through development.

kmfdmpig

The enthusiasm is great, but that's some horrific writing and coverage.
"GNs in bookstores are catching up to the direct sales market." makes a great caption to a chart showing that GN sales at bookstores passed the direct market 15 years ago and have widened their lead every year.

All-Star Superman is based on his work.
I think it'd be interesting to see a good animated take on Animal Man, although it would need to be a series, not a movie, to really work.

Some Nobody

Hollywood's greatest injustice is that somehow Mark Millar managed to become more well-known than Grant Morrison, lol.

More seriously: DC and Marvel are both doing streams for NYCC today and tomorrow, right? Where can I find them? Only on Facebook or YouTube too?

Hollywood's greatest injustice is that somehow Mark Millar managed to become more well-known than Grant Morrison, lol.

More seriously: DC and Marvel are both doing streams for NYCC today and tomorrow, right? Where can I find them? Only on Facebook or YouTube too?
Don’t think anyone found the stream for Marvel’s Legacy panel yesterday.

DC are doing it on Facebook and their Youtube page. https://twitter.com/dccomics/status/915369645217124353

caliph95

The enthusiasm is great, but that's some horrific writing and coverage.
"GNs in bookstores are catching up to the direct sales market." makes a great caption to a chart showing that GN sales at bookstores passed the direct market 15 years ago and have widened their lead every year.

All-Star Superman is based on his work.
I think it'd be interesting to see a good animated take on Animal Man, although it would need to be a series, not a movie, to really work.
Also in terms of animated movies so was Crisis on two earths and Son of Batman (the first Damian movie)

mreddie

Legion will be written by Peter Milligan with art by Wilfredo Torres, while Rogue & Gambit will be written by Kelly Thompson with art by Pere Perez and covers by Kris Anka.

Yeah, and Morrison seems to agree with us on that, according comments he's made on the subject.

Morrison said:
”There's a tension between us based on past history, but not... what you say isn't necessarily true, I don't want to say bad things about people like Mark and anyone but yes Kick Ass was made, Wanted was made, there are no other films any more made than say Joe The Barbarian and We3 which are all in the same state of production with directors attached, with screenplays...

”Hollywood doesn't work that way, you can't walk in a room, and he doesn't... you know I live in Hollywood, I live here four months of the year and I can know what goes on, there aren't 200 million dollars films being made, what can I say... I don't really want to say... I don't want to come out against somebody who will see it as an attack, it's all too easy to do.

”Mark has to make a certain smoke screen of himself, to look a certain way you know. Look at sales of Ultimates Comics Ultimates Vs Ultimate Avengers... that's what it's all about right now...

”I wish him well but there's not good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature."

And on that note...

Morrison said:
”There's a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I'm going 100 miles an hour when it happens."

They're both from different sides of Glasgow, I can't say I'm shocked there ended up being bad blood between the two. Pretty sure there's a Protestant/Catholic divide between those areas and even if that wasn't a factor, I can see it culturally anyway.

Not to mention the base difference in what they write. One is intelligent and engaging. One...isn't.

They're both from different sides of Glasgow, I can't say I'm shocked there ended up being bad blood between the two. Pretty sure there's a Protestant/Catholic divide between those areas and even if that wasn't a factor, I can see it culturally anyway.

Not to mention the base difference in what they write. One is intelligent and engaging. One...isn't.
At least it isn’t to the level of Morrison’s other rivalry. That one has magic.

Ross61

Alan Moore might just hate Geoff Johns more than he hates Grant Morrison now. I wonder how Grant feels about Rebirth and the inclusion of Watchmen characters.

In my head I always imagine Alan Moore and Grant Morrison spend their days throwing curses at each other

Vw02cMV.gif

caliph95

Alan Moore might just hate Geoff Johns more than he hates Grant Morrison now. I wonder how Grant feels about Rebirth and the inclusion of Watchmen characters.
Grant was never a fan of Watchmen and iirc thinks it's overrated

So he probably not shedding any tears

caliph95

Legion will be written by Peter Milligan with art by Wilfredo Torres, while Rogue & Gambit will be written by Kelly Thompson with art by Pere Perez and covers by Kris Anka.
Rogue will likely be decent but Milligan though he made some amazing stuff is hit and miss

Milligan is actually a great choice for a Legion book... But it's Milligan in 2017 so not quite so sure. Hoping it's good because good Milligan > good everyone else

Ross61

What webcomics artist/authors would y’all like to see take on big two work? Which one paired with which character?

Garryk

Finally read last week and this week's books.

What's up with the art on Flash? Seems to be getting a little worse by the issue, feels very rushed (no pun intended). Also, is Tomasi coming back to Supes any time soon?

I've been gone for a couple days, so...

I'd just switch to manga.

The fascinating thing about comics is that they've always had heavy progressive elements. Superman was a literal social justice warrior. Captain America was a New Deal Democrat. Editors and EiCs have pushed for PoC/women when possible. In the 80's they let Iron Man be black for several years. The Avengers were half women for a good while. The medium's creative influences are as progressive as any other medium I'd argue, so why are so many of the fans Nazi dickbags? I'm baffled.

Nah. If you don't like Spidey I just assume you're a dick, or a villain. Nadia's such a nice girl--she's gotta get it together. Much as I loved Waid's "I don't have to like everybody" reasoning, Spidey shouldn't be the guy you go "...Nah. Fuck that dude." to.

Tom Strong is so much better than Watchmen, and the whole point of the ABC universe is to create a fictional, connected universe with no superheroes in it. I'm the biggest cape fan you'll ever meet, but...I'm not here for this.

I'd like indie comics more if their answer to capes wasn't usually dystopian stories and horror fiction. Where's the non-dystopian sci-fi? Did Saga come out and everyone just gave up? lol.

Weren't Promethea and Top 10 in the same universe as Tom Strong? It was also an ongoing series of adventures, not an entirely self-contained story. It fits much better into a corporate-owned shared superhero universe than Watchmen ever could.

mreddie

Lego Marvel 2 hinted the X Man? Who is that?

Runaways, Champions, Cloak and Dagger, movies, Agents of Atlas part of the season pass.

Some Nobody

Grant was never a fan of Watchmen and iirc thinks it's overrated

So he probably not shedding any tears

Grant was actually very respectful of Watchmen in his book Supergods. His one criticism is that for a book that was so obsessed with being realistic, it lacked the natural chaos that real life would have. It's perfect, clockwork existence could only exist in fiction.

Weren't Promethea and Top 10 in the same universe as Tom Strong? It was also an ongoing series of adventures, not an entirely self-contained story. It fits much better into a corporate-owned shared superhero universe than Watchmen ever could.

Well, Moore wanted Watchmen back so he could develop it further. And also, yes Promethea and Tom Strong took place in the same universe, but it was also a universe that was meant to exist separately from superheroes. That, indeed, was the point. And as much of a disrespectful curmudgeonly fuck Alan Moore can be, I respect what he was going for, y'know? Let the superhero be super, while the science hero can science and never the twain shall meet.

What webcomics artist/authors would y'all like to see take on big two work? Which one paired with which character?

Gisele Lagace on Gwenpool.

And, a non-webcomic author who's not working on Big Two stuff but should be: James Roberts on Legion of Super-Heroes.

Mafro

What happened between them?
Dunno if it's true but I remember reading something about Morrison not getting credited for an issue of the Authority he helped Millar write and it all spiralled from there and their working relationship was over. Millar seems to have a colossal ego so it doesn't really surprise me.

Top Bottom