• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

tim1138

So I was listening to the most recent Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men podcast episode and they were covering the last 4 issues of X-Factor with the O5 X-Men, before Peter David took over the series. It was an arc with baby Cable and Apocolypse which got me thinking about the Askani and Cable himself and that I dont think ive read many storylines that actually focused on his time in the future before coming to the present day/the 90s.

Are there any recommended storylines that go into detail on the Askani? Anything in the original Cable series also worth checking out?

I plan on reading some of the original X-Force run, especially the issues that Capullo did the art for. Ive read some of X-Cutioner's Song but didnt finish it since it wasnt complete on MU at the time.

Is Bishop from the same timeline as Cable or was he a product of the new future after Cable messed with the timeline lol?

For Cable's backstory you want to read the Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix. There's a collection available in paperback or on comixology that collects all the relevant material.

Cable and Bishop are from different potential futures. Marvel had pretty strict rules on time travel at that time, so all the various visions of the future in the X books were all alternate timelines. If you Google "Mark Gruenwald time travel" you should get a link to the official time travel rules from then.

Malyse

America is a painfully bad book and I gave it all the chances I could. Even Kelly pitching in with Kate couldn't make it tolerable. I wouldn't be nearly as upset if they had just made a new character instead of ruining a character I like so badly that it makes me question if I ever even liked her in the first place.

Also, Immortal Iron Fists is AMAZING. We need to talk about this book because it's AMAZING. I love it so much.

Sandfox

America is a painfully bad book and I gave it all the chances I could. Even Kelly pitching in with Kate couldn't make it tolerable. I wouldn't be nearly as upset if they had just made a new character instead of ruining a character I like so badly that it makes me question if I ever even liked her in the first place.

Also, Immortal Iron Fists is AMAZING. We need to talk about this book because it's AMAZING. I love it so much.

Iron Fists is good and different from what I expected given the complaints people had about Kaare Andrews in the past.

caliph95

So I was listening to the most recent Jay & Miles X-Plain the X-Men podcast episode and they were covering the last 4 issues of X-Factor with the O5 X-Men, before Peter David took over the series. It was an arc with baby Cable and Apocolypse which got me thinking about the Askani and Cable himself and that I dont think ive read many storylines that actually focused on his time in the future before coming to the present day/the 90s.

Are there any recommended storylines that go into detail on the Askani? Anything in the original Cable series also worth checking out?

I plan on reading some of the original X-Force run, especially the issues that Capullo did the art for. Ive read some of X-Cutioner's Song but didnt finish it since it wasnt complete on MU at the time.

Is Bishop from the same timeline as Cable or was he a product of the new future after Cable messed with the timeline lol?

Are the Marvel Epic Collections on sale whenever Amazon does their Marvel Kindle Sales?
Bishop is from days of future past timeline

Cable is from or at least raised in another timeline, I think one where apocalypse fucked up IIRc

How time travel is supposed to work is unless you used doctor doom doom locks you can't change the future or the present just create another timeline

It's why the bendis o5 thing was annoying

Malyse

Iron Fists is good and different from what I expected given the complaints people had about Kaare Andrews in the past.

I'm legit upset that it's more or less wholly out of canon, because Pei is a pretty fun fish out of water character and I would like to see her interacting with other young heroes. OH OH! Let's say that IIF is set ~ten years from current Marvel Universe so that later Pai can be besties with Danni Cage.
Eh. There's "inconsistent" and then there's "ignoring logic I've set up because it's easier for me" though, lol.

She ignoring everything about the character. America's comic was Hillary Clinton's election lead. America's comic was the Warriors up 3-1 on the Cavs.

At least there's one badass minority lesbian leading character coming out Marvel:

david-nakayama-doctoraphra-1000v.jpg

Kelly didn't even help aside from some archery suggestions IIRC. Marvel just took the chance to put another name on the cover.

Also, I think I don't care about Rat Queens anymore.

Rat Queens lost it's heart. I thought I'd dropped it, but noticed the Orc Dave special in my LCS haul. Haven't read it yet, but I love the character. Hopefully it captures some of the old magic.

Sure, but it still hurts the industry. Marvel being weak helps very few people. But hey at least it's funny.

It's not even that. The people bitching and piling on Marvel are boring. It's one thing to share an insight regarding their struggles, but to just be like, Nelson HA-hah or old man shakes first at cloud about it is tired.

The only company it's funny to beat up on is Valiant.

Malyse

Rat Queens lost it's heart. I thought I'd dropped it, but noticed the Orc Dave special in my LCS haul. Haven't read it yet, but I love the character. Hopefully it captures some of the old magic.

Incidentally, reading this is what made me realize "I don't care about this series anymore"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
A few weeks after blowing a couple hundred on the Amazon Marvel sale, I dove back in for some Image and Dark Horse love during this weekend's comixology sale.

-Buffy/Angel&Faith S8 and S9(I'm a curious fan of the show, sue me if they are considered garbage)
-Birthright #1 (Enough ppl seem to love it)
-Lazarus complete run (Sounds awesome, also came highly recommended from almost everyone)
-Manhattan Projects #1 (Gonna give it a try, maybe get rest on another sale if it sticks)
-Monstress #1(Taking a risk, art looks great)
-Rat Queens (Liked vol. 1 enough to get the rest)
-Sex Criminals #1 (Ill give it a try)
-Stray Bullets #1 (ditto)
-Velvet #1 (ditto)
-Wicked + Divine (another ditto)
-Witchblade 2008 vol. 1 (Eh, I'll give it a try also)
-The Witcher (Never knew they had comics that coincided with W3!)
-Grimm Fairy Tales (Started reading and I really like it! Really dark and entertaining stuff despite the insane T&A they plaster on the covers)

Also, I think I don't care about Rat Queens anymore.

:( I just bought the entire run and quite enjoyed the first volume. Hate to hear things like this, though I am aware the creative team shifted heavily.

Some Nobody

It's not even that. The people bitching and piling on Marvel are boring. It's one thing to share an insight regarding their struggles, but to just be like, Nelson HA-hah or old man shakes first at cloud about it is tired.

The only company it's funny to beat up on is Valiant.

...But Valiant's good, though? I'm willing to bet on them more at this point than DC, and I prefer DC to everything else on the market. I just can't help wondering when they start screwing up.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Which volume did you get, or did you get all 3?I really really liked the first one by Tobin. The second was totally fine if not as remarkable Imo. Still to read that last one.

Grabbed all three.
Started reading the first volume but still very early in. Neat premise so far though(House of Glass), feels like one of the short stories from the early novels, but obviously illustrated.

Grabbed all three.
Started reading the first volume but still very early in. Neat premise so far though(House of Glass), feels like one of the short stories from the early novels, but obviously illustrated.

Haha yes, those characters and that world is so suited to "another tale on the road" kind of thing. Get back to us after you finish House Of Glass. I really like how that wrinkles out. Querio is pitch perfect too, I only didn't mention him last post because I couldn't remember how to spell his name lol but he's great.

Finished the Two-Face arc of All Star Batman v1 yesterday. Thought the more modular/shorter-arc format might put Snyder's Batman writing in a better light. It doesn't. My problem with his main run were that his interesting ideas lose steam as the volume progresses. I now realise he is able to replicate that in the shorter arcs too.

A Ducktales comic is selling more than America.................

It needs a change in direction fast otherwise I don't see this making it past 12 issues.
wait for that #2 drop!
Sorry for the image dump but I wanted to get these up before my flight home.
i keep saying this but this is a damn wild haul

Still going strong. Word of mouth must be pushing it even though I haven't heard a lot of talk.

Hmm, does anyone know the last issue's numbers? Surprise this is so low.
the TPB sales are where it's at for Motor Crush
How much time does in usually take for an artist to make such an sketch? It always looks like they take a lot of time for that stuff

depends. Like Chip does it right in front of you and it takes him a few minutes. the bust shots/half-figures usually take 30-60 minutes but again, it varies. Most of those full completed pieces with backgrounds and such are pre-show commissions

Malyse

I think Batman has the most film-able story arcs. I would like a First Ally movie, a War of Jokes and Riddles movie (last issue actually redeems the dumb framing device), I legit was hoping that TDK3 would be Hush, and then there's No Man's Land, Bloom, etc. Even some of the novels would make fine films.

Court of Owls would be amazing. WB owns HBO, right? A Long Halloween show where every episode releases on the set day would be cool.

...But Valiant's good, though? I'm willing to bet on them more at this point than DC, and I prefer DC to everything else on the market. I just can't help wondering when they start screwing up.

HA HA HA

I would never bet on them over current DC. But they put out some pretty swell books.

Malyse

Court of Owls would be amazing. WB owns HBO, right? A Long Halloween show where every episode releases on the set day would be cool.

That too. Batman has the most iconic story arcs. This is 90% of why I'm so pissed with the DCEU being no good very bad movies outside of Patty's work.

Finally cracked into Rebirth, thoroughly enjoying all of it except for Flash (picked up the first two vol's, dropping it now). Favorite is Superman and AC so far (mostly because it's a supplemental book to imo, the most interesting Rebirth storyline), WW is a mixed bag, enjoying the origin issues more than the current day (I think it may have read better with vol 2 first, then vol 1), Venditti's GL is surprisingly good, having disliked his original run, Lanterns was OK (love Jessica, quickly becoming my favorite GL after Guy), Aquaman & Titans are good, surprisingly wasn't hooked onto Deathstroke despite the recommendations, going to pick up vol 2 and see if it clicks.

Dunno what I'll replace Flash with, I'm not a huge fan of Batman or bat books, but I may give Redhood a try. New Superman & Green Arrow are also contenders. Haven't read up on Supergirl too much.

Finally cracked into Rebirth, thoroughly enjoying all of it except for Flash (picked up the first two vol's, dropping it now). Favorite is Superman and AC so far (mostly because it's a supplemental book to imo, the most interesting Rebirth storyline), WW is a mixed bag, enjoying the origin issues more than the current day (I think it may have read better with vol 2 first, then vol 1), Venditti's GL is surprisingly good, having disliked his original run, Lanterns was OK (love Jessica, quickly becoming my favorite GL after Guy), Aquaman & Titans are good, surprisingly wasn't hooked onto Deathstroke despite the recommendations, going to pick up vol 2 and see if it clicks.

Dunno what I'll replace Flash with, I'm not a huge fan of Batman or bat books, but I may give Redhood a try. New Superman & Green Arrow are also contenders. Haven't read up on Supergirl too much.

Superman is a good choice. Action I only keep up with for continuity stuff. Lanterns gets better, Titans and Teen Titans are in a good place now.

I'd say grab Green Arrow, Nightwing, Super Sons, and Detective Comics. New Super Man is solid as well.

IrishNinja

nice that others are enjoying metal; i couldn't even finish this month's green arrow. can't wait till the event's done infecting stuff

It's what you get when you hire Warren Ellis

sad but true, and it's been known forever

hey guys I wonder what the writer of Identity Crisis is up to these days

https://twitter.com/bradmeltzer/status/917399865226821632

wow, glad dude got left in the bushes

Legacy wins #1

However,

129 Ms. Marvel 22 Marvel
130 128 Iron Fist 7 Marvel 16,170
137 Black Bolt 5 Marvel 14,653

these are legit tragedies, all enjoyable books

yeah, as a fan i just can't fuck with andrews after that abysmal book the other year

amen
and finally finishing Untold Tales of Marvel recently, it's not like they don't have a strong history of screwing things up & chasing off top-tier talent, either. at least Legacy feels like a step in the right direction, but it really is feeling like Alonso should step down & let new blood in

Negan is such a great role model for kids.

only slightly worse than harley or castle

Hellboy In Hell Library Ed. a

damn, is that on deck? totally not ready for it

Top Bottom