• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

YvYI7Rm.jpg

Since last month's format was not well received, we're back to the old one. Here are some hot new books for the month:
Header art is by Manuel Preitano

qaugsEU.png

EU2rhRB.jpg

Supergirl #1 by Steve Orlando and Brian Ching (Sept. 7th) - She's back! Kara is now forced to manage life as a normal American teenager AND also protect National City as Supergirl!
1nZuuPz.gif
Doom Patrol #1
1nZuuPz.gif
by Gerard Way and Nick Derington (Sept. 14th) - MCR lead singer and Doom Patrol megafan GERARD WAY finally takes on the series. Get ready for the return of Robotman, Flex Mentallo, Crazy Jane, and newcomers like Casey Brinke to take on the weird and abstract. Tyrant Rave Pick of the month!
Batman #7 by Tom King, Steve Orlando, Riley Rossmo (Sept. 21st) - Rebirth's first crossover begins here. Batman, Batwoman, Nightwing, and friends take on the enormous Monster Men!

SgbIrjD.png

l1Xmm7O.jpg

Gwenpool #6 by Christopher Hastings and Gurihiru (Sept. 14th) - Gwen's "team-up" with Miles Morales ends...badly! This issue promises to get DARK.
Invincible Iron Man #13 by Brian Michael Bendis and Mike Deodato (Sept. 7th) - Civil War II is coming! Is this the end of Iron Man?
no
Scarlet Witch #10 by James Robinson (in 2016) and Kei Zama (Sept. 14th) - Wanda visits Kyoto to investigate the murder of a famous warlock. Little does she know, she's the next target!

Pj1YPNh.png

GqZ091o.jpg

Seven to Eternity #1 by Rick Remender, Jerome Opena, and Matt Hollingsworth (Sept. 21th) - In the world of Zhal. All men have surrendered their freedom for fear of the God of Whispers. Now, one last free man must choose.
Surgeon X #1 by Sara Kenney and John Watkiss* (Sept.28th) - What do you get if you cross a far-right British government with an antibiotic apocalypse and a gruesome murder? The birth of Surgeon X and her renegade practice. Extreme times call for extreme medicine.
Glitterbomb #1 by Jim Zub and K. Michael Russell (Sept. 7th) - Farrah Durante is a middle-aged actress hunting for her next gig in an industry where youth trumps experience. Her frustrations become an emotional lure for something horrifying out beyond the water... something ready to exact revenge on the shallow celebrity-obsessed culture that's led her astray.

*ALSO edited by the legendary KAREN BERGER! WOW!

KXpsLLu.png

b2FK2TO.jpg

Aliens Life and Death #1 by Dan Abnett and Moritat[ (Sept. 21st) - In the aftermath of the battle with the Engineers, the surviving humans on LV-223 are wounded and scattered-and easy prey for a gathering horde of Aliens!
Black Hammer #3 by Jeff "X-Men" Lemire and Dean Ormston (Sept. 21st) - Long before Spiral City's greatest heroes were written out of their universe, the Martian champion Barbalien was already stranded far from home. Disguised as churchgoing Mark Markz in the timeless farming community where the heroes find themselves trapped, Barbalien faces a terrifying personal decision, even as he relives his painful past!
Rise of the Black Flame #1 by Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson, and Christopher Mitten (Sept. 7th) - Young girls are going missing from the cities of Siam, and the trail leads to the jungle hideout of a bloodthirsty cult wielding an ancient evil power-the Cult of the Black Flame.

7XkluQw.png

FwhvZaw.jpg

Back to the Future: Citizen Brown #5 by Bob Gale, Erik Burnham, and Alan Robinson (Sept. 21st) - With Doc and Marty opposing each other, it could be Hill Valley itself that pays the ultimate price, disappearing into the time-stream forever! Doc and Marty will need all the luck they can get before they're OUTATIME... in this, the climactic conclusion to Citizen Brown!
Revolution #1 by Cullen Bunn, John Barber, and Fico Ossio (Sept. 14th) - This new crossover epic features the Transformers, G.I. Joe, ROM, Action Man, and MORE as all sorts of mayhem are unleashed on the Earth.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #62 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman, and Dave Wachter (Sept. 21st) - One ally close to the Turtles faces grave danger while another makes a choice that will alter his life forever. Meanwhile the Turtles wonder if their path truly lies with the Foot Clan...

e1ZbXE9.png

huSaQZn.jpg

X-O Manowar #50 by Robert Venditti... and a lot of others! (Sept. 28th) - For centuries, the sacred X-O Manowar armor has stood unrivaled as the universe’s most powerful weapon. Today, will it equal Earth’s doom? An unthinkable alien race known only as The Torment has come to our world in search of the armor’s secrets. Now, they stand opposed by Aric of Dacia – former slave, noble warrior, resolute king, and current master of the armor’s near-limitless capabilities. But is one man…and one weapon…enough to repel a force capable of leveling a thousand civilizations? LaunchpadMcQ Highlight!
Love and Rockets Monthly #1 by Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez (SOMETIME) - L&R's fourth volume is here as a (not) monthly comic releasing every three-to-four months! All of your faves are back. Don't miss out on my second most anticipated book for the month!
Animosity #2 by Marguerite Bennett and Rafael de Latorre (Sept. 14th) - One year after the “Wake,” all Animals have gained the powers of thought and speech--and the ability power to take revenge. New York City erupts as a battleground between the what remains of the U.S. Government and the rise of the ferocious new “Animilitary,” who seek to carve out a peaceful homeland of their own. Caught in the middle is a Bloodhound and his 10-year-old adopted human daughter, desperate to escape the conflict, and find a haven at last…

G159DJG.png

New to comics? Check out Zombine's Start Up Guide! (This is a bit outdated, but Zombine has expressed a desire to update it. Feel free to ask us for any advice! We love to help you spend money.)
Help support my name is ed! His comic Rage Against the Jackal is available digitally on Comixology!
Also keep an eye out for Bish's upcoming comic Savage Empire featuring art by Jim Roy Jimenez!
Check out The Gamma Gals created by Figboy79!
Like Black Panther? Join in on the Black Panther OT where users post their impressions of the current series

Into Fantasy Football? jon bones is hosting our FIRST Annual League: Battle For the Cowl! PM or post to get in

Whether you read webcomics, ongoings, or even if you just stick to trades-- everyone is welcome to post their thoughts here.

Last month, quite a few of us answered a small questionnaire for fun about our favorite comics and ongoings. Check out the replies:
Donniewahlberg
TheFlow
Farside
RepairmanJack
BrightLightLava
BenjaminBirdie
jon bones
sillymonkey
VanWrinkle
WadiumArcadium
Rhaknar
whatsinaname
Tim
Supaidaman
Roland_Gunner
Dusknoir
BuddyJoeHooker
Malyse
Sadist
SpiderJerusalem
Mafro
Tyrant Rave
Freezasaurus
Boogiepop
pock3tmonster
mreddie
kmfdmpig
TropicalFish
BKatastrophe
JTripper
LordOfLore
Aizo
And More! Check last month's thread for more great posts.

Members in ComicsGAF are expected to follow the NeoGAF TOS just like everyone else. I know it can be hard, but try and be excellent to your fellow members guys.
7yOtSbf.jpg

We've been having some talk of spoilers a lot lately, so I figured it's a good idea to have a section for it.
-If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a comic (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning.
-Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers.
-Announcements/Solicitations are not spoiler worthy, no need to tag
-MARK YOUR SPOILERS
VE7tIJN.png

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Come join the Battle for the Cowl: ComicGAF's First Annual Fantasy Football League - only 2 spots left!

1) jon bones
2) Tragicomedy
3) TheFlow
4) KoruptData
5) Bii
6) RepairmanJack
7) Zombine
8) Brian Fellows
9) Mudcrab
10) BuddyJoeHooker

if you guys are drafting Tues or Wed night I'd be down to join if there are spots left.

or really any night other than Saturday and Sunday. Though I could set up my auto draft if necessary.

standard snake draft I take it? PPR?

We're doing standard snake draft, 0.5 Point Per Reception

I have a big draft Tuesday night and Wednesday night was vetoed.

Does Monday night work for people?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Scarlet Witch highlight... whut :eek:

Did it massively improve or something? I smell shenanigans!

Sandfox

Do they still release comics?
-Betty featuring her jerk ex boyfriend
-Sabrina featuring Jughead
-That other Sabrina book that never comes out
-The Sonic nostalgia book
-The Sonic book that doesn't feature Sonic
-The Josie book that people will probably only check out due to the writer
-Mega...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I forgot whos my favorite comicgaffer right now so lets go with... I dunno, Freeza, because of the Viv avatar.

32 MB gif on page one. We are off to a good start.

YsFaEJz.png

At least jon bones is putting more effort into creating FF than Axel Alonso is.

That Starfire costume is awful.

Closest one to the cartoon yet. They know what people want.

I hope Revolution is good. MTMTE will continue afterwards as Transformers: The Lost Light so I'm not too bothered either way. I hope we can get back to a more heroic Optimus Prime as well. He's been on a slippery slope since the end of Combiner Wars IMO.

I miss reading comics. I might get a month of MU and just read those for a bit. I badly need a new tablet but I have several interviews coming up so don't know money situation right now. Android, HD YouTube, CMX, Perfect Viewer, SD slot, maybe NEtflix as well, that's all I want. Despite this thread's repeated advice, comics aren't for eating. I want a good Humble Bundle but there hasn't been one since the Star Trek one.

I had a thing that I was going to read a bundle comic every day for a month or so, since I've bought a lot of them over the years. A few would be re-reads but I'd say the majority wouldn't. Maybe read some of my trades backlog as well. Lots of Image and DC stuff there that I kind of want to try.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My pull list for September!

Autumnlands #13
Birthright #19
Black Monday Murders #2
Black Science #24
Chew #58
Deadly Class #22
Drifter # 14
The Fix #5
Glitterbomb #1
Horizon #3
The Hunt #3
I hate Fairyland #9
Kill or Be Killed#2
Lake of Fire #2
Lazarus #25
Manifest Destiny #23
Nailbiter #25
Paper Girls #9
Revival #42
Rumble #14
Saga #38
Seven to Eternity #1
Spread #16
Surgeon X #1
The Walking Dead #157
Wayward #16
The Wicked + The Divine 1831 #1

Animosity #2

Hex11 #7

We're doing standard snake draft, 0.5 Point Per Reception

I have a big draft Tuesday night and Wednesday night was vetoed.

Does Monday night work for people?

Should be okay depending on the time. I'd prefer Saturday or Sunday night, but can work around it. I'm Pacific time.

Time to see what dropped today and buy some comics.

Messi

Whats wrong with this one?

CilhB_1XAAAtKrD.jpg

It doesn't have to be super sexual like Lupacchino drew it. Darwyn Cooke and Amanda Conners versions don't seem that sexual.

I love that cover :(

midtown comics is having a pretty sweet sale. (Up to 80% off).

Some interesting deals include

Stray Bullets Uber Alles - $12

Rise of Aurora West - $2

Five Ghosts Deluxe - $14

Private Eye HC (Signed) - $10

Silver Age Supergirl omnibus - $22.50

Sandman Overture Deluxe - $5

Bacchus Omnibus v1 - $16

Scud The Disposable Assassin - $15

Sandfox

Dan Slott is asking people on twitter to name iconic post silver age character and so far he has listed:

Wolverine
Nightcrawler
Storm
Colossus
Lobo
Venom
Harley
Deadpool
TMNT
Cyborg
Starfire
Raven
Spawn,
Punisher
Jubilee
Cable
Blade
Howard TD

Can you guys think of any others? I can't tell if this is good or bad considering the Silver Age ended in 1970.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Favorite line from God Hates Astronauts so far....

"Goddamnit, Craymok! You can't always be Oddjob! That's cheating!"

Boogiepop

Guys, I'm thinking I'm gonna grab those Thunderbolts classics volume from the CMX sale. Please either encourage me or talk me down. Also, is that Marvel Now run also on sale at all worthwhile?

MG310

Up to 2 NYCC commissions so far..

The NYCC bank account bloodbath is getting an early start this year and Essential Sequential hasn't even opened up their lists yet.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My Comixology app stopped downloading halfway through my second book today. So I have to wait until I get home from work to read Lazarus and East of West.

At least Saga had a nice warm and fuzzy ending. Which can only mean the next 4 books are going to be truly horrifying.

Top Bottom