• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS |OT| September 2016. Comics Should Be Good.

Someone recommend a Comic to me that is pretty much standalone please!

It can be a couple issues or volumes even but if possible, finished, and contained in one book or at the most a couple TBPs (think stuff like Six gun Gorilla, Locke and Key or whatever) .

The Joe Keatinge / Sophie Campbell run on Glory

Joe Casey's Butcher Baker The Righteous Maker

FEB140525.jpg
OCT120479.jpg

Civil War II: Amazing Spider-Man #4: This had an odd structure to it. The
conflict with Clash is resolved halfway through the issue and isn't really revisited, because the issue is primarily concerned with justifying Peter's decision to join Carol, and as it turns out the Clash situation has very little to do with that. No, Peter basically waves it away as an egg that got broke while they were trying to make an omelette. The words "with great power must come great responsibility" end up twisted horribly so they can stick Peter with Carol (so he can inevitably switch sides in case anyone STILL isn't sure who to root for).
This is a pretty bad comic that fizzles out quickly, throws the entire story it's been building over the past four issues in the trash, and spends the rest on mental gymnastics. Blah.

Civil War II: Gods of War #4: I think where Abnett really goofed with Hercules was in his epic approach. He wanted to tell a sprawling, epic story not unlike God Butcher, which threatened all of the gods, or the Last Days of Magic, which threatened all of magic. Here he wanted something that threatened all mythological creatures, and it failed in several ways: Hercules is no Thor or Dr. Strange; The Storm aren't nearly as interesting or well-realized as the God Butcher or the Empirikul; the threat to the heroes of myth and the ancient (non-Asgardian) gods never felt as important as those others.

Where he succeeded was in bringing Hercules back from the brink. This character has been put through hell, reduced to a joke, for as long as I can remember. Abnett wanted to change course, for Hercules to redeem himself. He put his party past behind him. He tried to get back to the basics of good works that being a mythological hero is all about. He acquired a terrific supporting cast. If Abnett hadn't set his sights so high with the very first story, would he have found more success with this title? Maybe not...Hercules hasn't been a popular character a long time, and editorial's decision to rob him of his sexual identity was a serious mistake.

Gods of War was about as satisfying a send-off for the short-lived Hercules as any reader could have hoped for. Hercules is still wrestling with his demons, but at least the Storm story saw a reasonably satisfying conclusion. There's not much to say about it; nothing happens here you wouldn't expect. I can't recommend this mini to those who weren't already reading and enjoying Hercules. But I'm happy Abnett had more than a rushed final issue to finish what he started.

Civil War II: Kingpin #3: The story doesn't advance in a meaningful way here, which is a surprising decision for a 4-issue mini.
Janus is missing, Fisk can't find him, and now for a 15-page fight with the Punisher
. That's the whole issue, down to the last page. I still have misgivings about the art here but it's stronger in motion, so that's something I guess? Whole lotta nothing though. Disappointing after such a densely packed first half.

Civil War II: X-Men #4: This one is the real stinker of the bunch, though. The art is shamefully sloppy, basic perspective is violated over and over again. Characters seem to shrink and grow from panel to panel to justify whatever incredibly awkward position the artist has crammed them into. On top of that, I still have NO IDEA why
Storm and her team would side with Ulysses
, and Magneto
ABANDONS HIS MISSION for no discernible reason right as he is about to complete it.
This mini went from bad to worse in a hurry and ended horribly. What a fucking mess this event has turned into. Just a waste of energy from all involved (but not too much energy!).

Cryptocracy #4: This book is fine, there is nothing in particular wrong with it, but I'm reading too many stories about powerful families and groups pulling all the strings, and too many of those other books are too fucking good for me to invest further in their lessers. Nothing about this has managed to stick out as particularly compelling, not even any particular quality of the (serviceable) writing and art would cause me to recommend it, four issues in. If you want to play with one of the hottest concepts in comics at the moment, you need to bring a little more to the table. Time for me to move on.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Civil War II: Gods of War #4:

I agree. I think another of the big problems that the Storm had was that it was so easy to compare this story with American Gods, which had a whole book to tell the story. The low sales made this so much more compact, which didn't give all that much time to establish the threat.

MartyStu

It can be a couple issues or volumes even but if possible, finished, and contained in one book or at the most a couple TBPs (think stuff like Six gun Gorilla, Locke and Key or whatever) .

Remender's Uncanny X-Force

Hey comic-gaf I was moving a bookshelf and re-sorting some stuff and came across these. Totally forget I had them back during my floppy days.

They are all first print, think they are worth anything? Not going to sell them but just wondering.

Wizard is worth nothing. Savage dragon seems to be worth quite a bit on ebay. Spider-man is worth even more. 100 dolla +

Hellblazer! :D

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
[

Civil War II: X-Men #4: This one is the real stinker of the bunch, though. The art is shamefully sloppy, basic perspective is violated over and over again. Characters seem to shrink and grow from panel to panel to justify whatever incredibly awkward position the artist has crammed them into. On top of that, I still have NO IDEA why
Storm and her team would side with Ulysses
, and Magneto
ABANDONS HIS MISSION for no discernible reason right as he is about to complete it.
This mini went from bad to worse in a hurry and ended horribly. What a fucking mess this event has turned into. Just a waste of energy from all involved (but not too much energy!).

Cryptocracy #4: This book is fine, there is nothing in particular wrong with it, but I'm reading too many stories about powerful families and groups pulling all the strings, and too many of those other books are too fucking good for me to invest further in their lessers. Nothing about this has managed to stick out as particularly compelling, not even any particular quality of the (serviceable) writing and art would cause me to recommend it, four issues in. If you want to play with one of the hottest concepts in comics at the moment, you need to bring a little more to the table. Time for me to move on.

X-Men Civil War was shit. Total shit.

You nailed the Craptocray pretty well, though I will add that I stopped after two issues when the next layer was shown. There is never an end to paranoid/conspiratorial thinking and this book had everything I hate about conspiracy theory.

Messi

I am sorry guys, I failed you. I have missed the deadline for posting the thread by 12pm european time. Thread is cancelled.

kmfdmpig

Lots of good options for this. Three that come to mind are:

Mage (There are two trade paperbacks, but the first is fairly self contained).
We3 (Just a short graphic novel).
or
if you want something a bit longer then Irredeemable (which somewhat connects to Incorruptible, but can be read independently without missing anything important).

Top Bottom