• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ComicsGAF Book Club #1 | Strangers in Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wait, wait, wait.
Today's reading was Vol 3, #5-7, no? With the last page being Francine figuring out the anagram?
Edit: Just kidding. Having to catch up yesterday must've thrown me off. You're right, it was #6-8. Haha. Gotta read one more issue still! I guess I only read 5 issues yesterday instead of 6. The weirdest part is that I didn't even notice that I had read one issue less than everyone else when I was reading the recaps/discussion for those issues.

Anyways, my quick thoughts on the issues:
It doesn't really even need to be said anymore, but such amazing stuff. Just so good.
The Francine/Katchoo relationship stuff was really hitting the feelings hard. Really poignant.
The Sin City character cameos in that lunch between Rachel and Francine was pretty great. Loved how Marv was eating a plate of bullets.
Those two guys from New Jersey in that Katchoo flashback were such fantastic characters. That was an amazing scene.
Rachel was a really interesting character that added a lot to the story. I love how the moment her mission changed, she was just out of there. Didn't even feel the need to give Chuck even a fake explanation. She was not about to humor him for one more second.

Cheska

That cliffhanger though!! In a way, it was the perfect place to stop today's reading, but now I have knots in my stomach, worried about what's going to happen.

So what do we think Rachel's mission was? She told Darcy she needed one more day.

And is Freddie going to continue being a big part of the story? When I thought he couldn't be any douchier, he just becomes more unlikeable. I did chuckle when Francine asked if Rachel had a tattoo on her boob, and both Chuck and Freddie replied! LOL

Kipp

All right, now I've read all of today's issues. Haha
That scene at Chuck's apartment was just hilarious. Pure comedy.
And I also liked finally hearing from Tambi or Bambi (can't remember which). That character finally has a little bit of depth.

That cliffhanger though!! In a way, it was the perfect place to stop today's reading, but now I have knots in my stomach, worried about what's going to happen.

So what do we think Rachel's mission was? She told Darcy she needed one more day.

And is Freddie going to continue being a big part of the story? When I thought he couldn't be any douchier, he just becomes more unlikeable. I did chuckle when Francine asked if Rachel had a tattoo on her boob, and both Chuck and Freddie replied! LOL

I felt the same way about the ending! That was a perfect place to be forced to stop for the day. Haha

I was under the impression that Rachel's mission was to kill Katchoo. Katchoo and Francine had just moved, so nobody knew where they were. Rachel was trying to get to know Francine and presumably figure out where they were living (Rachel was asking who Francine lived with and whereabouts they lived) so that she could track down Katchoo and take her out.

Kipp

Random thoughts
- I think Terry loves seeing just how awful he can make Freddie. Its amazing to see a character in comics this horrible without being actually evil. He's not a villain but he's the next closest thing. He's not smart, he's a horrible friend, a bad husband, a cheat, incredibly vain, and completely disloyal to everyone. Poor Casey
- I like how the two plumbers were oblivious the whole time they entered a lesbian bar.
- Another sign of the times, being able to see people leave flights from the terminal.

Yeah, Freddie is a great character. He's pretty much just pure caricature and always adds a huge dose of comedy whenever he appears.

That airport terminal thing threw me off. When they were both sitting at the terminal I obviously thought, "Oh, they're both going somewhere." And then Francine started tearing up and I got so confused. Then I kept going and realized what the deal was. Haha

SiP Vol #9-11

The Parker arc is up and flying in these three issues. One thought that crossed my mind is how painful must this would have been to read on a monthly basis? Just only reading 3 issues a DAY has been tough

So we find out the drop from of the building was a fakeout and now Katchoo is back within Darcy's clutches. And we learn even more just how out of control Darcy is, and more importantly how powerful her and her friends really are. We find out things like She had the paper's wife killed, Implied that she had Emma injected with AIDS??, in the past Katchoo saw Darcy just shoot some guy, and other heinous stuff. Also I think we saw some of the signs of poor David's abuse. It looks like it could even worse than just physical abuse (ugh) and then he gets shot. But it was good to see the Detective back in the fold, and the joke regarding people keep getting shot around him was funny. Also I wonder what all was going on in those photos that Francine saw?

Now she has Katchoo off to do something to keep Veronica from being noticed by the government investigation committee. I'm sure this will end well

Random Thoughts
- Loved the Death (from Sandman you noobs) cameo visiting the aerobic person attending Casey's work out. Poor fella
- Sign of the Times - Remember *69 for phones? Those were the days
- So by my calculations of the year this came out did Darcy reveal that Hillary Clinton is a Parker girl?
- Haha that poor little dog is a mess

Kipp

#9-11 were definitely some pretty gripping issues. It was short on the emotional moments that turn the comic from being great into being exceptional, but I thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless.

SiP Vol #9-11

The Parker arc is up and flying in these three issues. One thought that crossed my mind is how painful must this would have been to read on a monthly basis? Just only reading 3 issues a DAY has been tough

For real! With how fast I can get through these issues (and I'm a slooow reader), I would go crazy reading this monthly.

- So by my calculations of the year this came out did Darcy reveal that Hillary Clinton is a Parker girl?

AND SHE'S PROBABLY RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT IN 2016. OH GOD NO.

#9-11 were definitely some pretty gripping issues. It was short on the emotional moments that turn the comic from being great into being exceptional, but I thoroughly enjoyed them nonetheless.

For real! With how fast I can get through these issues (and I'm a slooow reader), I would go crazy reading this monthly.

AND SHE'S PROBABLY RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT IN 2016. OH GOD NO.

We must get the word out! Hillary is a Parker girl!!!

Cheska

That poor newspaper chief :( And damn, I feel like everytime I think I've seen the worst of Darcy, she just goes out and becomes even more psychotic.

I did enjoy that little bit with the balcony! My heart was literally in my throat at the end of the last reading.

finally got up to 8 on vol 2

SiP Vol #9-11

The Parker arc is up and flying in these three issues. One thought that crossed my mind is how painful must this would have been to read on a monthly basis?

haha worse than that..it came out bi monthly. It was so exciting when one would show up in my box.

Sip Vol 3 #12-14

Well there was one issue left of the Darcy arc and boy did that wrap up in unforseen and unexpected fashion. Way to go Chuck! His one phone call really got things moving quickly. Then Tambi, through the big 6, took out Darcy very quickly. Oh and I love the detective character. He's a lot of fun when he showed up as a pizza delivery guy and then all cleaned up without the mustache! So it seems Katchoo was supposed to seduce the wife after all. Well with that wrapped up we dive into one of my favorite stories in SiP

Its high school flashback time. We get two (of the 3..thanks Kipp) issues focusing on how Francine and Katchoo meet in High school. Francine the bubbly goodie band girl full of upbeat positivity and Katina the chain smoking, alarm clock breaking, bad girl from the other side of the tracks. Oh and Freddie went to their school too. And what a goof he was then too. These issues were fun, we learn how they meet. Katchoo's poem was very sad, she's sending out a cry for help that is being ignored. And you get glimpses of how rough she's had it. Just that comment about all Francine's furniture. Its like she doesn't even register you could own all these items others take for granted. The last issue ends with the Play disaster and Katchoo showing up beat up

Random Thoughts
- Hm...I wonder what went on in that bathroom at that party
- So Freddie is a boob guy through and through eh?
- The Peter's dinner scene was great. You can see Francine's dad was a cheater for ages. Maybe this is why Francine was with Freddie for a year. But his outrage of his question at the table ending with Francine's mom's outburst was hilarious
- The old lady's response of "Lovely girl" at the play was also very funny

Kipp

Doing yesterday's reading today since I didn't have time yesterday.
In the omnibus there's an issue after the end of the Parker arc where Katchoo, Francine, and David all go to the beach house for a little vacation. This issue isn't on Comixology (which I've been using to double check where issues end/begin). Is it some kind of special or something?
Also, should it count as one of the three issues for the day, or what?

Anyways, I just got to the High School arc. I am really looking forward to this arc.

Messi

I have been trying to keep up but I've been struggling to write anything. The book is still fantastic and has pretty much sapped any enjoyment from reading other books right now.

I found this and it made me laugh

Francine%20and%20Katchoo.jpg

Doing yesterday's reading today since I didn't have time yesterday.
In the omnibus there's an issue after the end of the Parker arc where Katchoo, Francine, and David all go to the beach house for a little vacation. This issue isn't on Comixology (which I've been using to double check where issues end/begin). Is it some kind of special or something?
Also, should it count as one of the three issues for the day, or what?

Anyways, I just got to the High School arc. I am really looking forward to this arc.

Yea I don't have that in my collection. But its the off day so it should help in catching up

So Messi. Which do you enjoy more SIP or Sunstone? :)

Messi

Yea I don't have that in my collection. But its the off day so it should help in catching up

So Messi. Which do you enjoy more SIP or Sunstone? :)

This will hurt but it's still Sunstone. But it's a horrible choice to make. Honestly.

Kipp

Holy shit. That ending to #14...

Francine the bubbly goodie band girl full of upbeat positivity and Katina the chain smoking, alarm clock breaking, bad girl from the other side of the tracks.

Katchoo's poem was very sad, she's sending out a cry for help that is being ignored.

That sequence at the beginning of the high school arc with the comparison between Francine and Katchoo was really great.

And that poem was some powerful stuff. One of the highlights for me.

Also, have you read that special where David, Katchoo, and Francine take a vacation to the beach? If you haven't, you should try to track it down. It was really enjoyable.

Oh man, I'm so far behind now! I'm still up to Vol 2 # 12 (I think). Luckily I like binging, so I'll hopefully catch up in the next few days.

Holy shit. That ending to #14...

That sequence at the beginning of the high school arc with the comparison between Francine and Katchoo was really great.

And that poem was some powerful stuff. One of the highlights for me.

Also, have you read that special where David, Katchoo, and Francine take a vacation to the beach? If you haven't, you should try to track it down. It was really enjoyable.
I did a Google search and it says that issue is #25. Maybe they reordered it in the omnibus?

Check to see if that is the one you read

Kipp

I have been trying to keep up but I've been struggling to write anything. The book is still fantastic and has pretty much sapped any enjoyment from reading other books right now.

I found this and it made me laugh

Didn't see this before, but that's amazing.

I did a Google search and it says that issue is #25. Maybe they reordered it in the omnibus?

Check to see if that is the one you read

Checked Comixology, and sure enough, that's it. How weird. Wonder why they decided to reorder it. The weird thing is that it didn't seem out of place at all.

Man, this is getting heavy again. I finished the Art
gallery
part, whatever issues made up that bit.

Edit: Read a bit further ahead, and damn. I love the way he's drawing Casey here.

Kipp

#15-17

Man. Today's issues were incredible.
I really enjoyed the thrilling Parker arc, but the slice-of-life relationship-based stuff is what I really, really love about SiP. The flash forwards were so good. Francine's mom finally coming through big time.

I can't help it. I'm going to read tomorrow's issues right now. I already read a little bit past my mark on accident, so I might as well. I'm really, really digging this right now.

Kipp Nooo you're going rogue too. Now freeza and you are out ahead. I have no idea where Cheska and Messi are at. I'm doing my best trying to stay the course.

A question was #16 for you the Xena parody issue? That was a pretty funny and silly adventure

The wrap up of the High School issue was good but i could really enjoy another 6 issues of High School era. Its sad that Katchoo was crying for help from her mom and nothing came from it. I guess she could have gone to the police herself but it seems her whole upbringing makes it seem that the police was never a viable option

Things really get amped up with #17 and the start of the new story arc. Future Francine misses her chance to meet Katchoo but it re-opens a lot of past emotions and feelings. And to her mom's credit she see's her daughter miserable and looks to do something about it. Oh and Francine's kid continues to be adorable

Kipp

Kipp Nooo you're going rogue too. Now freeza and you are out ahead. I have no idea where Cheska and Messi are at. I'm doing my best trying to stay the course.

A question was #16 for you the Xena parody issue? That was a pretty funny and silly adventure

The wrap up of the High School issue was good but i could really enjoy another 6 issues of High School era. Its sad that Katchoo was crying for help from her mom and nothing came from it. I guess she could have gone to the police herself but it seems her whole upbringing makes it seem that the police was never a viable option

Things really get amped up with #17 and the start of the new story arc. Future Francine misses her chance to meet Katchoo but it re-opens a lot of past emotions and feelings. And to her mom's credit she see's her daughter miserable and looks to do something about it. Oh and Francine's kid continues to be adorable

I'm just a day ahead, which works fine since I've got a semi-busy day tomorrow anyways.

And nope, looks like that issue was put in a different place in the omnibus. Weird.

But man, I think this current arc is one of my favorites yet. It's just hitting all the right notes for me.

Strangers in Paradise is too good. Just too good.

My biggest fear is what happens when we're done and there's no more new SiP? Is there anything else out there like this?

I've had my eye on Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.... Is that anything at all like this?

My biggest fear is what happens when we're done and there's no more new SiP? Is there anything else out there like this?

I've had my eye on Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows.... Is that anything at all like this?
There's Echo! Not relationship focused but awesome Terry Moore characters doing more action things.

Kipp

Will I ever be able to enjoy comics the same after SiP?
Is this the same kind of thing as IVing heroin? Once you do it, nothing else will ever be able to make you quite as happy again?

That quote better be on the back cover of the next reprinting.

But I'm actually kind of excited to get back to more typical comics after SiP. Not because I'm not enjoying it or something; I'm obviously absolutely loving SiP and I'm really glad that we still have so much left to read. I just feel like after taking such a long break from more normal comics, they'll seem a lot more fresh and exciting when I get back to them.

But I'm actually kind of excited to get back to more typical comics after SiP. Not because I'm not enjoying it or something; I'm obviously absolutely loving SiP and I'm really glad that we still have so much left to read. I just feel like after taking such a long break from more normal comics, they'll seem a lot more fresh and exciting when I get back to them.

I like how comics about people with superpowers are the ones you call "normal" comics.

Messi

No idea where I am. Spoiler could be from anywhere. Please help. Am I behind or in front?

Katchoo is back helping Darcy. And Darcy kissed David... Francine is in LA with the Tom Selleck lookin cop

No idea where I am. Spoiler could be from anywhere. Please help. Am I behind or in front?

Katchoo is back helping Darcy. And Darcy kissed David... Francine is in LA with the Tom Selleck lookin cop

Behind. Keep going. You should be over 2/3 done with book one.

And more specifically, you will read a High School flashback arc. After you read that, be on the lookout for this page (not a spoiler at all). Once you hit that page, you're caught up to today's reading.

Alright. Just finished Vol. 2. Still not sure exactly how much further til' I catch up but it's pretty fucking god damn good so far!! I'm trying not to read too much in this thread but I'll keep a lookout for that page.

Sip Vol 3 #18-20

Well the Museum story is up and flying. We get a very touching reunion between Francine and Katchoo where we find out a lot of future events. Just that scene where Katchoo is there in the kitchen cooking with Francine's daugther and with Mrs Peters. Awww. We learn Katchoo and David moved to Hawaii for 6 years and they even got married and was the happiest Katchoo had ever been! But it sounds like something has happened but Terry Moore is being a tease about it. Also we get some more hints of their falling out 10 years ago.

Back to the younger years I forgot this phase when Katchoo had short hair..not my favorite look of hers. So she's doing her art thing and it looks like she's about to get her big break. This starts off super happy and once again it seems whenever Katchoo paints a person she knows it ends in a humongous fight! Francine sees the early results of the painting and things escalate quickly. This was a pretty brutal drag out fight where a lot of truth bombs were dropped on both sides. But the funniest two parts was when midway through the yelling Katchoo stops and concedes one point. That and when poor David returns to learn the door and room getting wrecked was his room! Oh poor David

Well the expo is off and running and the two are still warring for two weeks which sends Katchoo into one of her foul moods (and drinking moods).

Random Thoughts
- These sets of issues shows just how amazing an artist Terry Moore really is. Not only does he have great facial expressions, and beautiful realistic looking character designs but he can keep making the same person look the same but different depending on their age. Francine has had so many different subtle changes over the course of the series. Sometimes she's larger with more folds in certain areas, other times she's more fit and has brighter eyes. Then there's drawings of her here very old looking and worn down and tired. Same with Katchoo in the "future" parts. You look at her and can clearly see its Katchoo but yet she isn't just Katchoo with a couple extra exagerated lines to show "age". Her body, face, eyes, etc have all slightly changed. Middle age isn't something you see a lot of artists attempt, nor pull off

- Freddie and Casey are back. Casey seemed to make poor David uncomfortable. I do like the statement that the Freddie & Katchoo battles is something they both enjoy on some level

- Boy that one lady sure did like that model's form!

- Ah! I want to keep reading. Stopping mid story is so difficult. But the only nice thing is it lets me digest the story more this way.

- Freddie and Casey are back. Casey seemed to make poor David uncomfortable. I do like the statement that the Freddie & Katchoo battles is something they both enjoy on some level.

I really like the way he draws Casey here. She looks a lot cuter than she has previously.

Kipp

Sip Vol 3 #18-20

Well the Museum story is up and flying. We get a very touching reunion between Francine and Katchoo where we find out a lot of future events. Just that scene where Katchoo is there in the kitchen cooking with Francine's daugther and with Mrs Peters. Awww. We learn Katchoo and David moved to Hawaii for 6 years and they even got married and was the happiest Katchoo had ever been! But it sounds like something has happened but Terry Moore is being a tease about it. Also we get some more hints of their falling out 10 years ago.

Back to the younger years I forgot this phase when Katchoo had short hair..not my favorite look of hers. So she's doing her art thing and it looks like she's about to get her big break. This starts off super happy and once again it seems whenever Katchoo paints a person she knows it ends in a humongous fight! Francine sees the early results of the painting and things escalate quickly. This was a pretty brutal drag out fight where a lot of truth bombs were dropped on both sides. But the funniest two parts was when midway through the yelling Katchoo stops and concedes one point. That and when poor David returns to learn the door and room getting wrecked was his room! Oh poor David

Well the expo is off and running and the two are still warring for two weeks which sends Katchoo into one of her foul moods (and drinking moods).

Random Thoughts
- These sets of issues shows just how amazing an artist Terry Moore really is. Not only does he have great facial expressions, and beautiful realistic looking character designs but he can keep making the same person look the same but different depending on their age. Francine has had so many different subtle changes over the course of the series. Sometimes she's larger with more folds in certain areas, other times she's more fit and has brighter eyes. Then there's drawings of her here very old looking and worn down and tired. Same with Katchoo in the "future" parts. You look at her and can clearly see its Katchoo but yet she isn't just Katchoo with a couple extra exagerated lines to show "age". Her body, face, eyes, etc have all slightly changed. Middle age isn't something you see a lot of artists attempt, nor pull off

- Freddie and Casey are back. Casey seemed to make poor David uncomfortable. I do like the statement that the Freddie & Katchoo battles is something they both enjoy on some level

- Boy that one lady sure did like that model's form!

- Ah! I want to keep reading. Stopping mid story is so difficult. But the only nice thing is it lets me digest the story more this way.

Definitely some of my favorite issues yet. Terry Moore doing an exceptional job at what he excels at most: the relationship drama stuff. So good.

And I was really impressed by the way he drew older Katchoo and Francine as well. You definitely knew it was them, but they had clearly aged, and in a very realistic way too.

Havent been too active since I had to head back to school and power read through like up to vol 3 #28 or something because I didn't think I'd be able to bring the books with me to school. But I found a sort of compromise but hard to remember exactly what happened when so I'll probably jump back in more once the thread catches up to issue 28. So much happens =x.

Phew! Just finished Book One. Need some time to digest all this, so I'll wait for you guys to catch up. So many feels.

"David?"

"Uh?"

"Fuck me."

XD

Sip Vol 3 #21-23

Sooo good. So the museum event wraps up in bombastic fashion. Katchoo paints an idealized look of Francine and when Francine sees it, things don't go well. Of course its also the art piece that is everyone's favorite. Oh and Freddie during the whole ordeal was very funny. He's a schmuck but he can be entertaining. Things end with Francine fleeing to Tennessee for some time.

It was nice to see Francine with her family some more. They actually interact and react like you normally see families. Not something you see too often i think. They have their quirks but they are also there for each other. And they have a sense in their dialogue of history.

With Francine off in reflection mode, David helps pick up the pieces of Katchoo and they start to get closer again. Which given what we know of future events is not unexpected. And then things really are amped up when we learn David has now inherited 1.4 billion dollars from Darcy! And true to good guy David his first thoughts is what good he could do for others with the money. Oh and we learn David had some edge to him in the past. Running a gang at age 17? two murders? Interesting...

Oh and enter Casey! During my re-read its been painful to wait for her to finally start getting more screentime. She's one of my favorite characters and now she's finally entering the scene. She's so bubbly and enthusiastic but also so easy to be influenced or do whatever she feels she needs to, to be accepted (wanting more plastic surgery, making a move on David, jumping in to create a threesome, making a pass at katchoo, etc). I threw this out a while ago in a more crytpic way but I think Casey is someone that has elements of Harley in her. She's a great character to have thrown in to spice things up and throw ridiculous curve balls into situations. Anyways, things end in crazy fashion when Francine returns back and Casey and David come crashing in with Casey of course being naked.

Random Thoughts
- Sign of the times : TV signals late at night used to turn off their signals. Now its infomercials!
- The panel of Katchoo interrupting Casey as she's ontop of David was great. That rage smile was so well done. Who draws expresions like that? Nobody!

Anyways, things end in crazy fashion when Francine returns back and Casey and David come crashing in with Casey of course being naked.

They were looking for towels!

- The panel of Katchoo interrupting Casey as she's ontop of David was great. That rage smile was so well done. Who draws expresions like that? Nobody!

Yeah, the expressions in this series are top-notch. I don't know how I'll be able to go back to other comics.

Kipp

This book club is making me realize how much I suck at talking in detail about media. I never really have much to say besides "I really enjoyed that."
With that said, I really enjoyed those three issues. Haha

AniHawk

i really loved this series. it's been years since i read it, but katchoo and david were my favorite characters. it gets fucking crazy too.

echo and rachel rising don't really hold up in comparison, because they start far less grounded, so ratcheting up the crazy doesn't do it as much (or in rachel rising's case, it has to go to 11, which sucks the fun out of it in a lot of ways).

This book club is making me realize how much I suck at talking in detail about media. I never really have much to say besides "I really enjoyed that."
With that said, I really enjoyed those three issues. Haha
Yea I'm pretty bad with it too. I usually wait for others like VC or Tim to do their write ups. But I'm trying with SiP. Hopefully people find it worthwhile.

Kipp

i really loved this series. it's been years since i read it, but katchoo and david were my favorite characters. it gets fucking crazy too.

echo and rachel rising don't really hold up in comparison, because they start far less grounded, so ratcheting up the crazy doesn't do it as much (or in rachel rising's case, it has to go to 11, which sucks the fun out of it in a lot of ways).

Good to know. I appreciate your thoughts. The groundedness is one of the things I love about SiP.

Yea I'm pretty bad with it too. I usually wait for others like VC or Tim to do their write ups. But I'm trying with SiP. Hopefully people find it worthwhile.

I may not always give much of a response to your analysis posts, but I appreciate them massively. I love reading your thoughts and they also work as a great reminder of what I've just read (which, with so much happening in three issues, I can easily forget).

AniHawk

Good to know. I appreciate your thoughts. The groundedness is one of the things I love about SiP.

if you really really like terry moore's style, then i say at least check out echo. it's been finished for years now, so it wouldn't be hard to collect all thirty issues somehow. if you liked strangers in paradise, echo's pretty similar.

rachel rising is weird. it's dark and sorta aimless. just a lot of bad stuff happens for not a lot of rhyme or reason. strangers in paradise felt like that at times, but this story actually feels like it's supposed to have a beginning middle and end. i'm constantly impressed with the art. i don't know. something about the line art and the expressions and the detail just really works super well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom