• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming around iPhone X notch...

longdi

Banned
Lol at it at first.

Right now, with more users and seeing it in every day public settings, it looks outstanding. Just wished Apple went with a larger display

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Lol at it at first.

Right now, with more users and seeing it in every day public settings, it looks outstanding. Just wished Apple went with a larger display

Larger? No. If it fit in my pocket, I would get it. Apple needs to start making premium phones that fit in a pocket again. The SE is outdated now.

Grinchy

Banned
They need to make the Apple logo on the back of it bigger. Then Apple customers will pay even more to fit in.

LordOfChaos

After seeing it in person rather than media I sort of get it. In regular portrait mode at least it sort of becomes the silhouette in my mind and stops being a bother after a bit, and the shape is certainly more recognizable than if they went more normal with a bezel that went all the way accross (plus for Apple, maybe not for you).

In landscape mode it falls apart though imo, each video setting is a compromise, I wish there was one in the middle that filled out more of the screen but blacked out the notch area, while cutting off less of peoples foreheads like in fullscreen mode. If you use non fullscreen it just looks like an iPhone 8 screen which is ehh. So more zoomed than that, less than fullscreen, would be a nice addition.

This is what its like to become desensitized.

Trust your original instinct. Lol at it "looks outstanding."

"That notch looks killer bro! Sick notch. I can't even focus on the video you're showing me, that notch is sickkkkkkk."

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I have to be honest, I swore off the iPhone X when it was first shown, saying I would never get one.

I now own one, after trying it. And after using it for the last few days, I can honestly say its by far the best iPhone ever made. The size is just right, its fast, responsive, looks amazing, and really does hit all the right notes.

Sure it would have been better with the camera and speaker under the screen or something... But this is fine.

Cos Apple. Think it looks ridiculous personally. The worst thing is how the screen is flat though. It looks bizarre. Screens with tapered edges are infinitely better.

It’s not all just about tapers and fades bro, lineups matter too :D

20171106_090415_875.jpg

LordOfChaos

Playstation app still isn’t updated

All of the Playstation apps (and why do there need to be so many? Could all be one) are still dumpster fires after all the updates imo. Usually takes dancing a jig to get a new message to load after getting a notification for it.

Sonys fault. So is the web browser store while I'm at it, when was the last time you saw another website with a loading bar...People say the PS4s store sucks but you can go use the app or website, but they're all pretty bad.

Anywho, rant off.

Fbh

Come on op. I can understand quickly getting used to it after owning the phone for a while and I can definitely agree that isn't nearly as ugly or as big of an issue as apple haters make it out to be .

But I'm having a hard time seeing how it's "outstanding"

trikster40

Mines coming in next week hopefully. My best friend got one, and it's sold me pretty immediately. Looking forward to getting one in trying it out

longdi

Banned
I think the notch looks rather iconic with X design. Something about how apple did their screen on glass on minimal bezels work perfectly with notchy

The other full screen phones look clumsy in comparison.

longdi

Banned
S8 looks really boring in real life. Just another regular phone with smaller bezels.

Apple somehow managed to make the X screen looks as if it is floating. The status symbols at the sides of the notch helps accentuate that screen wrap around the phone look. Apple screen on glass tech is top notch, low reflectance and high brightness, which helps further. Remind me of the first time i saw HTC og One phone

Without the notch, i feel X will lose a few x-factor points. In johny ive & spirit of Steve we trust.

Feel like Essential did the notch better since it's tiny and in the center and disappears much better. The one on the X just seems like someone cut it wrong and just went with it. An afterthought.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
S8 looks really boring in real life. Just another regular phone with smaller bezels.

Apple somehow managed to make the X screen looks as if it is floating. The status symbols at the sides of the notch helps accentuate that screen wrap around the phone look. Apple screen on glass tech is top notch, low reflectance and high brightness, which helps further. Remind me of the first time i saw HTC og One phone

Without the notch, i feel X will lose a few x-factor points. In johny ive & spirit of Steve we trust.

I'm pretty sure you're joking but I cant honestly tell.

longdi

Banned
I am not joking. You need to look at it in real life. The proportion and screen quality is really good, the notch makes it look even more up-class and unique

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I am not joking. You need to look at it in real life. The proportion and screen quality is really good, the notch makes it look even more up-class and unique
It just looks like a part of the top of the screen is missing in the middle.

jts

...hate me...
Cos Apple. Think it looks ridiculous personally. The worst thing is how the screen is flat though. It looks bizarre. Screens with tapered edges are infinitely better.
"screens"

So a very specific useless Samsung gimmick that exists in a few phones is infinitely better than all the other screens in existence.

lmao

longdi

Banned
24209-31541-cetizen_burnin_123-l.jpg

A good example of how X screen looks top notch!

It has that floating screen thanks to more uniform lighting, the notch makes it look unique!

Btw, Samsung OLED leaving worse burn-ins on their own phones, lol.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I think the notch looks rather iconic with X design. Something about how apple did their screen on glass on minimal bezels work perfectly with notchy

The other full screen phones look clumsy in comparison.
Wow, I can understand having a preference but your statement is patently absurd. How does having thick ring encircling the entire phone and an intrusive notch make other phones look clumsy? Galaxy Note 8, V30, Huawei mate 10 pro, HTC U ultra all look better than the X

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Still looks shocking to me.

Aside from the stupid notch (which will only look worse with time) it looks nice. It's also the perfect size in my opinion. But I'll hold onto my iPhone 8 Plus until Apple sorts out their gestures for the X. Right now, they're a mess to me.

Link_enfant

Still kind of a turn off for me, among other things. I'm getting a 8 Plus soon, it has no real flaws and is the ultimate iteration of the regular series. Will still be a huge improvement on my 5s.

longdi

Banned
2018 slate of Android phones with da' notch!
Huawei
LG
Oneplus
Oppo
Asus

ps. the notch does look iconic on iPhone X in real life, trust me on this.

ix-notch-copies.jpg

Top Bottom