• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Command and Conquer 3 confirmed for 360.

Mrbob

davepoobond said:

Confirmed on the podcast the BFME2 360 team is porting C&C3 to 360, with BFME2 as the testing ground for RTS controls which shall be refined for C&C3.

But yeah I'll get the PC version.

Speevy

Banned
Apparently they nailed it on BFME2, which I'm getting.

Of course, MS could always just update the friggin' 360 to include mouse controls. They already did it for a camera.

Mrbob

RTS devlopers and publishers are watching BFME2 360 closely. If the control scheme turns out well (Which it has) and the game sells decently, expect the floodgates to be opened for RTS games on XBox 360.

Port this into Wii so I can use Wiimote to play it.
Do it!

Maybe EA will offer a stripped down version that is less action packed with inferior battles due to not being able to show as many characters onscreen due to lower resolution.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Mrbob said:
Confirmed on the podcast the BFME2 360 team is porting C&C3 to 360, with BFME2 as the testing ground for RTS controls which shall be refined for C&C3.

But yeah I'll get the PC version.

how were the RTS controls in BFME2, anyhow? I immensely prefer mouse-controlled RTS games, its one of the few genres that i think really should stay on the PC...

davepoobond said:
how were the RTS controls in BFME2, anyhow? I immensely prefer mouse-controlled RTS games, its one of the few genres that i think really should stay on the PC...

I've seen nothing but good word on it. Apparently you can make quick hotkey like bookmarks that spin out of the radial interface in the lower right hand corner. While it will never replace kb&m, it looks to be very usable. :)

Mrbob

davepoobond said:

360 version of BFME2 isn't out until middle of July. Demo should be out in a week or two on the Live marketplace. But all reports suggest the game controls great. Obviously not as nice as keyboard and mouse (With all the hotkeys you can do), but the 360 version works very, very well. Much better than any console RTS.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
krypt0nian said:
I've seen nothing but good word on it. Apparently you can make quick hotkey like bookmarks that spin out of the radial interface in the lower right hand corner. While it will never replace kb&m, it looks to be very usable. :)

that definitely seems to make up for team grouping...i think the worst part about RTS on a gamepad is really just the analog stick not scrolling fast and precise enough to select which units you want -- did they figure out a way to make that better?

davepoobond said:
that definitely seems to make up for team grouping...i think the worst part about RTS on a gamepad is really just the analog stick not scrolling fast and precise enough to select which units you want -- did they figure out a way to make that better?

I could be wrong but it looks as if when you select a troop type, it autoselects all of that troop on the screen. If you want to micromanage you can, but otherwise it will make certain assumptions for you.

Anyone play this at E3 that can flesh this out for us?

EA blazing the way for innovative control!

Heh, for all the criticism EA gets they have brought some interesting control additions that are now considered "standard", Like TPC and the freestyle controls on NBA Live. They go a little right analog crazy at times, but hey, it works for the most part.

Oh hot damn BFMEII looks so awesome. I'm looking forward to getting back into RTSses.

(EA is up to some shadiness with this preorder mishmash though. I pre'd from them and get three multimaps off marketplace for free. Which means that, 100%, they are done at launch [unless of course I get them free whenever they come out]. That's obviously Microtran Worst Case Scenario.)

sharukins

Banned
ss_preview_Ttpic.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
krypt0nian said:
I could be wrong but it looks as if when you select a troop type, it autoselects all of that troop on the screen. If you want to micromanage you can, but otherwise it will make certain assumptions for you.

Anyone play this at E3 that can flesh this out for us?

Also the fact that "units" are not individual in BFME2, they are clustered in groups of about 10 with the exception of heroes, seige and the big bruiser guys (trolls, giants, ents, etc).

Schafer said:
Also the fact that "units" are not individual in BFME2, they are clustered in groups of about 10 with the exception of heroes, seige and the big bruiser guys (trolls, giants, ents, etc).

ah ok...that helps matters. Very hyped for this one.

Core407

Banned
So I'm guessing this will be exclusive to 360? I'm figuring it'll be like Shadowrun & Alan Wake (PC/360 title).

Mrbob

Core407 said:
So I'm guessing this will be exclusive to 360? I'm figuring it'll be like Shadowrun & Alan Wake (PC/360 title).

It's EA. I bet the PS3 version is out the same day.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Core407 said:

Both of those titles are being published by Microsoft, hence the platforms, this on the other hand is EA.

Mrbob said:
RTS devlopers and publishers are watching BFME2 360 closely. If the control scheme turns out well (Which it has) and the game sells decently, expect the floodgates to be opened for RTS games on XBox 360.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure that seeing the Xbox 360 being flooded with RTS ports of PC games over the next few years would be a very nice thing... still I'm not willing to upgrade my PC, so this news is definitely interesting. I just long for a game with a better story, better characters... and most of all, FMVs featuring Kane. :)

ChrisReid

I play my 360 almost exclusively now.. I haven't bought a new PC game since Doom 3 in 2004. And I'm going to lean towards PC on this one.

yjs666 said:
How the hell can you 'nail' RTS controls using a gamepad with analogue sticks? Is that a joke? :lol

We were all waiting for you to show up. Did you laugh...?

(I hope you laughed, dude. This was NOT easy to pull together.)

Speevy

Banned
yjs666 said:
How the hell can you 'nail' RTS controls using a gamepad with analogue sticks? Is that a joke? :lol

Every preview indicates it's very much the case. Guess RTS games CAN be done on consoles.

Pikelet

It is not like BFME2 requires any precise clicking, the game has no strategy. Basically you build units and then send them to attack, base defence is all but useless in multiplayer. For example the game does not even acknowledge tactics such as flanking or horse charging from behind. C&C3 however is probably going to be much more complex, i highly doubt its controls are going to be as good as bfme2's.

Speevy

Banned
Pikelet said:
It is not like BFME2 requires any precise clicking, the game has no strategy. Basically you build units and then send them to attack, base defence is all but useless in multiplayer. For example the game does not even acknowledge tactics such as flanking or horse charging from behind. C&C3 however is probably going to be much more complex, i highly doubt its controls are going to be as good as bfme2's.

How do you know that? They've come up with a very workable solution for BFME2, it isn't just analog stick replacing mouse.

Pikelet

How do you know that?
Well i own the pc version if thats what you mean. Im just saying C&C is probably going to be alot more complex than bfme2 and therefore the controls are going to be harder to emulate.

Top Bottom