• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

mr stroke

Actually, it can :p I'm a turtle player and my building style is digging down, defending my position and then just building heavy, expensive units to force my way through. You certainly don't need the be-on-your-feet-always-moving playstyle to win. That is the beauty of it.

You just have to practice with your tactic, lose a lot to learn its weakness.

Obviously, you still need to actively defend yourself and be prepared. So you can't just sit back at your base the first 30 minutes just building.

Thats one thing I love about this and the Warhammer sieres. Unlike StarCraft I can actually somewhat turtle

Can't wait for the official release. Been playing the various betas and really loving the game. COH1 is one my favorite RTS of all time and I really, really like COH2. I was much less of a multiplayer RTS gamer with COH1, but quite the opposite with 2. I am quite partial to the germans and the Jaeger infantry doctrine in particular. Nothing like some camouflaged panzergrenadiers.

Almighty

Damn I totally forgot this was next week. I am pretty damned hyped for this game. Here's hoping the single player is as good as it was in the first game. Nice to know I am not the only one that doesn't play multiplayer.

I'm not sure if there's a preload, so no idea if GMG will release keys before the 25th.

But looking forward to it. I'm terrible at it, so hopefully I make my way through the campaign first.

demolitio

Nice job on the OT!

After playing the alpha, the closed beta, and the open beta, I'm a little distraught that I won't be able to pick it up anytime soon most likely. As of last month, I was on pace to get it at launch until shit hit the fan...lol

I'm curious to see where they take COH2 with expansions/DLC. With more asymmetric gameplay, I'm excited for the possibilities.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Very nice OT.

Looking forward to this. Loved vCoH but spent most of my time fighting against AI in skirmish mode. Multiplayer was intimidating. Hopefully I can advance my skills beyond "awful to mediocre" this time.

longdi

Banned
Seems like Relic continue to keep the beta open and with all new mp maps!

I think after the latest patch and the new maps, Coh2 feels much better yet again!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed and ready to spend the next 10 years playing this. Beta's so good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thats one thing I love about this and the Warhammer sieres. Unlike StarCraft I can actually somewhat turtle
Unless there are modes without capture points, I don't see how you can turtle without losing the resource war though. The game pushes you to constantly expand and probe, for better or worse.

Sethos

Banned
Unless there are modes without capture points, I don't see how you can turtle without losing the resource war though. The game pushes you to constantly expand and probe, for better or worse.

Because turtle doesn't imply sitting in your base, waiting it out. Turtle is an over encompassing term for players who like to dig in, build heavier defences and slowly move forward and that tactic is very viable in Company of Heroes. Just because you are turtling doesn't mean you are locked to sitting behind your defences waiting, just means you put more focus and resources into building brick walls and then you can peek out from these walls when you feel like it.

The game certainly doesn't push you to expand, it certainly doesn't push you to probe at all. That is a tactic, nothing else. You can also just claw your way up, slowly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Because turtle doesn't imply sitting in your base, waiting it out. Turtle is an over encompassing term for players who like to dig in, build heavier defences and slowly move forward and that tactic is very viable in Company of Heroes. Just because you are turtling doesn't mean you are locked to sitting behind your defences waiting, just means you put more focus and resources into building brick walls and then you can peek out from these walls when you feel like it.
Yeah, but as the Russians, you want to churn out conscripts to cap points to get fuel and as Germans, you want to get points so you can reach the flame halftrack ASAP. There are standard rush tactics now that are kind of necessary... at least against CPU anyway.

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, but as the Russians, you want to churn out conscripts to cap points to get fuel and as Germans, you want to get points so you can reach the flame halftrack ASAP. There are standard rush tactics now that are kind of necessary... at least against CPU anyway.

But CPU tactics are not a measure of tactics you need to apply, not even close. Human players employ a metric ton of tactics, they are slower to move due to the AI basically playing like 5 people at once when it comes to managing and building and their tactics are like clockwork.

Obviously you can't just start a game and go "I'll turtle!" because you might end up meeting a player that is a master at counting turtle tactics. Next game you might meet an impatient guy that gets frustrated when he can't get past your turtle and starts making a lot of mistakes etc. etc.

Point being, turtle can be and is a viable tactic, like most tactics in the game. All about learning how to adapt and to become better, you need to get online and see what kind of tactics people employ and when you lose; watch replays and notice what you do wrong.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
CPU really struggles to deal with the flame half track

9674BEABDA87DCEC0564B663D2888A78A44CB49D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But CPU tactics are not a measure of tactics you need to apply, not even close. Human players employ a metric ton of tactics, they are slower to move due to the AI basically playing like 5 people at once when it comes to managing and building and their tactics are like clockwork.

Obviously you can't just start a game and go "I'll turtle!" because you might end up meeting a player that is a master at counting turtle tactics. Next game you might meet an impatient guy that gets frustrated when he can't get past your turtle and starts making a lot of mistakes etc. etc.

Point being, turtle can be and is a viable tactic, like most tactics in the game. All about learning how to adapt and to become better, you need to get online and see what kind of tactics people employ and when you lose; watch replays and notice what you do wrong.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle the stress of MP (at least with randoms, I suppose), but either way, the game's emphasis on resources kind of prohibits turtling unless both players almost agree "no rush" before hand, like people did in the old Starcraft days. As either side, you'll want to tech up relatively soon, and you just can't do that unless you go out and get fuel.

Does the beta include co-op skirmish against AI? Might download it then if it is still open.
Yeah, it does. With matchmaking too!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, no-rush agreements kind of kill the game for me. Not saying "rushing" is important, but it's a fundamental way of playing the game. Pressure and presence is such a huge part of it, and bluffing with the APPEARANCE of having an overwhelming force or perfectly placed units to pin the other down.

Socreges

Banned
So CoH: Complete is $7.49 right now. I've only played the demo, but I liked it and was interested in getting better.

Does CoH2 make the first one obsolete? My thinking is that it shouldn't and I'd be better off spending $7.49 right now to get into the series and if I really love it then I'd plunk down the $50 or so to get CoH2.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Watched some replays of COH2 beta on youtube. The GUI seems to take up too much space. What's with all the flashing indicators everywhere?

And I miss tracers and the little green +1's.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to handle the stress of MP

I have to admit, I get stressed with multiplayer too. Embarrassingly so, and I don't know why. I'm generally a pretty competitive gamer and I don't like to lose, the problem is all my skill is with FPS's. I've done years of competitive FPS, and even at my advanced age of 38 I still mop up the pubs pretty well. Enter RTS's, a genre I have all the respect in the world for, and a genre I very much like to play. The problem is, I'm just not good at them. I don't have the right mind for RTS. So during CoH multiplayer, whenever those loading bars were filling up, I got stressed out and anxious. As a result I never did play much random online. I had a few friends that played quite a bit, and playing with them was never an issue.

I suppose there's comp stomp, but I agree with Sethos, the AI just doesn't employ the kind of variety and tactics that a human does, so I kind of see it as pointless (other than for honing build orders and stuff).

So CoH: Complete is $7.49 right now. I've only played the demo, but I liked it and was interested in getting better.

Does CoH2 make the first one obsolete? My thinking is that it shouldn't and I'd be better off spending $7.49 right now to get into the series and if I really love it then I'd plunk down the $50 or so to get CoH2.

For $7 I think you should play the original regardless.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

One of the pre-orders for CoH2 gets you CoH1 though...

I have to admit, I get stressed with multiplayer too. Embarrassingly so, and I don't know why. I'm generally a pretty competitive gamer and I don't like to lose, the problem is all my skill is with FPS's. I've done years of competitive FPS, and even at my advanced age of 38 I still mop up the pubs pretty well. Enter RTS's, a genre I have all the respect in the world for, and a genre I very much like to play. The problem is, I'm just not good at them. I don't have the right mind for RTS. So during CoH multiplayer, whenever those loading bars were filling up, I got stressed out and anxious. As a result I never did play much random online. I had a few friends that played quite a bit, and playing with them was never an issue.

I suppose there's comp stomp, but I agree with Sethos, the AI just doesn't employ the kind of variety and tactics that a human does, so I kind of see it as pointless (other than for honing build orders and stuff).
For me, it's a lot like Dota, where if you're on a team and you fuck up, you basically cost the match for everyone. I just don't want to be the weak link and have the inevitable "f-word" thrown at me. lol

Icefire1424

I've been deliberately avoiding this thread, because knowing my history with CoH, the first time I looked in here I would buckle and finally preorder the game.

Must buy. Now. Definitely have a serious love / hate relationship with the serious though. I absolutely love the game, but especially with multiplayer, I am absolutely terrible online then intimidate myself to the point that I can't jump back in. Too many skilled players out there.

Probably should work on that.

For me, it's a lot like Dota, where if you're on a team and you fuck up, you basically cost the match for everyone. I just don't want to be the weak link and have the inevitable "f-word" thrown at me. lol

You can be on my team, if you promise not to yell at me either!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, at least with Steam, you won't have Shawn Elliots out there creating new accounts just to grief new players by smurfing them. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think you understand the question. :p
Well, I'm just thinking that if you're already thinking of getting the second game, then you might as well get it because it comes with the first game. lol

They actually launched a "Steam" version of CoH1, but a lot of the old players don't seem to be happy with it.

You can be on my team, if you promise not to yell at me either!
We can both lose together. lol

Tak3n

Banned
So played the beta, first thought was wtf, but persevered and now I really like it, some pre ordered.....

However I felt £30 here in the uk was to much, so found a very trusted seller on steam trades selling the keys (including pre order bonuses) for 29$ or £19 :)

Much better, looking forward to playing you guys, we should set up a friends list

Sober

Don't know how I missed this, actually. I am in the midst of building a new PC and so it looks like I'll have something to try it out with in the coming weeks.

Dawg

Beta is pretty impressive, although I felt like I was playing an expansion to CoH instead of CoH2 at times. There are some pretty big changes, but some things still feel a bit too much like the first game.

Having played the first game a few days ago, I also appreciate the graphics even more. I mean, CoH2 really looks amazing (those ice storms, tanks on the ice etc) BUT the upgrade from 1 -> 2 looks smaller than you would expect going from a 2006 game to a game releasing in 2013.

Then again, the graphics in CoH2 are still far above most RTS games. What does this mean? That CoH was really ahead of its time.

FGMPR

Banned
I bought it. I'm only playing vs AI at the moment; I'm not sure when I'll start playing vs other players but I'll join the GAF group anyway. I'm in Australia, so lag would likely be a detriment if I were to play with most of you on here unfortunately.

I'm in! CoH is an absolute marvel of an RTS that grabbed my attention at Geometry Wars levels every match. It's one of those games where I'm not thinking about anything else, just acting and reacting in a zen-like (yet still skill level noob+).

Bring it on Relic.

Serra

Nice OT!

Loved the original. Eagerly waiting for this!

I have to say though that gameplay trailer linked in the OP is abysmal. Zooming in on RTS units combined with the movie trailer pacing just made for a really shit promotion.

I am so bad at this game (and the first) that it's not even funny. I'll still be getting it day one, but I'm expecting an uphill battle once again. Gonna be a shitload of fun though.

Decado

Anyone know if you can pause and issue orders in single player? As much as I like more "tactical" RTS games like CoH, DoW2 and World in Conflict...I kinda suck at them, or at least controlling them. Too used to TBS.

So $100 for a "Digital Collector's Edition" is pretty dang high. As someone who has avoided a lot of the CoH2 coverage it looks like the extra Commander Archetypes and the "Commander Pass" (more Archetypes) are the main extras and I can't tell if they are worth it or not. More so considering how big my backlog is. (But I freakin loved CoH1)

Updated my graphics drivers because I had an issue with the ground being invisible before with one version of the beta. Now, even though it says it is in my resolution, the game is stretched to be more widescreen then normal (1920x1080 is the selection). Any tips?

The game looks great. I'll be picking it up eventually. I can't let myself get it right now though because I have too much work to do.

Top Bottom