• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Complete Rumor) Microsoft might actually be interested in buying Take-Two?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
PantherLotus said:
Except, it wouldn't.

They would take GTA and make it a squad-based FPS. And then wonder why it flopped.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because they squashed the dream for Crackdown and said they weren't allowing it until it was changed to a squad-based FPS............or wait.

deadbeef

This wouldn't be surprising at all really. I would think they'd want to buy certain bits and pieces rather than all of Take Two, but I wouldn't put it past them either. This is similar to how Microsoft operated/operates in the desktop software market - buy up companies with good ideas and/or competitors. Plus, they probably sense a little bit of blood in the water. They've got Sony on their heels.

LJ11

Midas said:
I hope they buy them, I would love to see the thread if GTA4 became Xbox 360 exclusive.

Am I the only who finds statements like the above disturbing? Someone would rather see GAF's reaction to a buyout, even though such a move may be a bad sign for the industry as a whole, rather than having a third party develop games on all consoles.. I find it pretty strange that GAF provides more enjoyment for some, than actually playing games.

shpankey

not an idiot
would this mean Bungie would finally get back the Myth franchise? imo, its rightful and only true owner! :)

Matt

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Buy Take2, keep Rockstar, sell the rest.
That doesn't really make sense. What do you mean keep Rockstar? "Rockstar" isn't really anything tangible, it's just a publishing name. Do you mean keep the Rockstar studios? And, if so, which ones? And why would you keep those and not Irrational or Firaxis? And who would you sell the remaining parts of Take-Two to?

Matt said:
That doesn't really make sense. What do you mean keep Rockstar? "Rockstar" isn't really anything tangible, it's just a publishing name. Do you mean keep the Rockstar studios? And, if so, which ones?

Sorry, keep Rockstar North.

Matt said:
And why would you keep those and not Irrational or Firaxis?

right

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LJ11 said:
Am I the only who finds statements like the above disturbing? Someone would rather see GAF's reaction to a buyout, even though such a move may be a bad sign for the industry as a whole, rather than having a third party develop games on all consoles.. I find it pretty strange that GAF provides more enjoyment for some, than actually playing games.

If Zelda suffers, EVERYONE must suffer!

J/k :p

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Karma Kramer said:
Whats the story with this? How did TT get ahold of a Bungie franchise?

Take Two sold its part of Bungie to microsoft when they were bought out.. they kept oni and myth ip though.

Matt

Karma Kramer said:
Take-Two owned 19.9% of Bungie, and part of the conditions of TT selling it's shares to MS was that TT got the rights to Myth and Oni.

Baron Aloha said:
1.5 Billion for the whole shebang IIRC.

TTWO is quite popular these days . . . up over 5% today.

Current market cap is $1.73 billion . . . and MSFT would need to pay a premium on top of that to take it over.

shpankey

not an idiot
Karma Kramer said:
Take Two basically had a %20 stake in Bungie, so when buying Bungie, MSFT paid off Take Two by giving them two franchises (Myth and I think Oni) plus I think some cash.

Take Two really didn't do too much with the series though, just making Myth III. It suffered without the brilliance of Jason Jones' hand. Everything he touches is pure gold.

edit: beaten

jetjevons said:
Yeah, who wants 2K Games. Screw Bioshock. Darkness. Prey. Pirates. Oblivion. etc.

Oh come on, Rockstar North is the prize a buyer would want. Sure the others would be nice too. Let's just get this done quickly so we can make more megaton threads! :p

-Rogue5-

I'm confused... isn't TakeTwo just Rockstar's publisher? I think they are, and that means whoever buys TakeTwo DOES NOT get Rockstar as a result. Nor Bethesda or any other TakeTwo published developer... Or did I miss something?

shpankey

not an idiot
Good God please let this happen, for no other reason than a new Myth game under the direction of Jason Jones... please, I beg thee my Lord!

Matt said:
No, it would not.
Explain to me why it wouldn't.
PantherLotus said:
Except, it wouldn't.

They would take GTA and make it a squad-based FPS. And then wonder why it flopped.
I'm not a big fan of MS but even I can see they aren't that stupid. They would do nothing to mess with such a hot franchise as GTA. It's one of the most popular and successful titles in gaming history and w/o any of MS's help. Securing the hottest selling franchise would be a HUGE win for MS, plain and simple.

Sony should defo consider stepping in, in one swoop they'd put the PS3 back on track..

Problem is MS have the cash sitting there waiting while Sony would have to sell other assets or raise finance in order to do the deal and that takes time..

Matt

-Rogue5- said:
I'm confused... isn't TakeTwo just Rockstar's publisher? I think they are, and that means whoever buys TakeTwo DOES NOT get Rockstar as a result. Nor Bethesda or any other TakeTwo published developer... Or did I miss something?
Rockstar is just a publishing name of Take-Two. It's not anything independent.

Mr_Furious said:
Explain to me why it wouldn't.
I think I already have, but basically it would be too much money for too much shit that MS would not want.

If MS bought Take2, and Take2 owned the Myth IP, does that mean we could see a Bungie made Myth game in the future? Hmmm, that would be something.

-Rogue5- said:

Yes, you are missing something. Rockstar publishing is owned by TTWO. All of the Rockstar branded studios (North, San Diego, Toronto, Vancouver, Leeds, London, etc.) are own by TTWO.

Bethesda & Oblivion are NOT owed by TTWO.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
forgeforsaken said:
If MS bought Take2, and Take2 owned the Myth IP, does that mean we could see a Bungie made Myth game in the future? Hmmm, that would be something.
Now suddenly I'm interested in this thread.

King Dork

-Rogue5- said:

Take Two wholly owns all the Rockstar studios, so consequently they also own the GTA name. So yeah, if MS did buy out Take Two, GTAIV would pretty much become a 360 exclusive.

EDIT : As noted earlier, Take Two does not own Bethesda or Irrational Games, so the topic of Oblivion and Bioshock becomes a little complicated. It depends of what the deal with Take Two was on the publishing of those games. Usually, a dev studio gives up the IP rights to the publisher in exchange for funding. Can't find anything on the net about if this is true for Oblivion and Bioshock.

Hmmm well when Bungie is done with Halo 3 this year... do you think they would want to go back and revisit the Myth franchise?

Personally I see Bungie starting something completely fresh.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Karma Kramer said:
Hmmm well when Bungie is done with Halo 3 this year... do you think they would want to go back and revisit the Myth franchise?

I would like to see what they would do if they were able to work on Oni again.

King Dork said:
Take Two wholly owns all the Rockstar studios, so consequently they also own the GTA name. So yeah, if MS did buy out Take Two, GTAIV would pretty much become a 360 exclusive.
Agreed totally to the first sentence.

As to the second sentence, I don't agree. I'd guess that TTWO has some contract with Sony to deliver a GTA for the PS3. They could break such a contract, but they'd have to pay damages. Heavy damages, I'd imagine.

King Dork said:
EDIT : As noted earlier, Take Two does not own Bethesda or Irrational Games, so the topic of Oblivion and Bioshock becomes a little complicated. It depends of what the deal with Take Two was on the publishing of those games. Usually, a dev studio gives up the IP rights to the publisher in exchange for funding. Can't find anything on the net about if this is true for Oblivion and Bioshock.

TTWO does not own Bethesda . . . but TTWO does own Irrational and Bioshock.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Karma Kramer said:

I don't know how popular Myth was. I know I loved the hell out of the game, but I wasn't very conscious of game sales back then.

GhaleonEB

speculawyer said:

As to the second sentence, I don't agree. I'd guess that TTWO has some contract with Sony to deliver a GTA for the PS3. They could break such a contract, but they'd have to pay damages. Heavy damages, I'd imagine.
I doubt they signed a contract that said they HAD to release a PS3 version of the game.

At any rate - Microsoft would only need to buy a 51% stake to have ownership of the company, technically. I can see them buying the company outright, then selling off certain divisions as others have said (2K sports, for example).

As for Bungie, that Edge article last month said they are preparing to work on two seperate projects after Halo 3, so who knows how they'll split things up.

VALIS

If the price would be upwards of 1.5 billion dollars, ain't nobody buying them outright, at least without co-investors involved who will then split up the assets.

GhaleonEB

LJ11 said:
If he's serious, then yeah, it's odd. But the ghoulish side of me is actually deeply amused at stuff like this. I don't watch TV, and have not in a good decade or so. A lot of my entertainment comes online, and some of that is in watching the insanity that is GAF, whether they be E3 conference threads, NPD or meltdowns over lost exclusives. Which is not to say said entertainment takes precedence over actual gaming - just that it's fun to watch.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
LJ11 said:
The first one had potential, it was flawed but it had its moments.

I guess if they did, the MS fans could all do the Sony Killzone maneuver and say the game had great this and that, but was held back by the system. OR, we could all just agree the game wasn't very good.

LJ11

GhaleonEB said:
If he's serious, then yeah, it's odd. But the ghoulish side of me is actually deeply amused at stuff like this. I don't watch TV, and have not in a good decade or so. A lot of my entertainment comes online, and some of that is in watching the insanity that is GAF, whether they be E3 conference threads, NPD or meltdowns over lost exclusives. Which is not to say said entertainment takes precedence over actual gaming - just that it's fun to watch.

I can't deny the fact that announcements such as the one proposed, are what make GAF, well GAF. The reactions/overreactions are hysterical, entertaining, and disturbing all at the same time.

Edit: Squantingyeti, it was basically a PS2 launch title,and yes it did suck but it had some interesting ideas for a title released in 2000. H2H combat and guns are my kind of thing. I would love for a game to incorporate both styles, and execute both of them really well.

speculawyer said:

If Sony had signed a contract with TakeTwo, wouldn't it have been for exclusivity? I doubt T2 has any such contract.

LJ11 said:

100% and at the same time, GAF fallout definitely fills in the boring moments that pop up at work.

Kosma

Banned
What would be a bigger/better move for MS?

-Buying Take Two (GTA, Bioshock exclusive)

or

-Securing FFXIII

Matt

oo Kosma oo said:
What would be a bigger/better move for MS?

-Buying Take Two (GTA, Bioshock, Oblivion all exclusive)

or

-Securing FFXIII
...Seriously, can we institute some sort of policy about READING a thread before posting in it?

Top Bottom