• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Component Video Switcher

mr2mike

Banned
I'm at a loss as to why just taking a regular switchbox and using the audio jacks for component cables wouldn't work

I've tried that with a couple different brands. And unless I somehow managed to purchase a couple of defective boxes, there's definite video degradation. The whole purpose of component is image quality. Why destroy its benefit with something the degrades the picture?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm using a radio shack composite switchbox and I've checked signal quality difference plugging component into that vs. directly into the TV. If there's signal degradation, it's undetectable to me.

ravingloon said:
I've tried that with a couple different brands. And unless I somehow managed to purchase a couple of defective boxes, there's definite video degradation. The whole purpose of component is image quality. Why destroy its benefit with something the degrades the picture?

I bought an Audio Authority Component Switcher and have used it with all my consoles on progressive scan (480p) and have not noticed a difference between the switcher and direct input into the TV. Next step is to try 720p and 1080i on my gf's 42" Sony HDTV, I expect similar results. A very high quality (automatic source select!) switcher IMHO, and makes gaming and DVD watching a lot easier.

DJ Demon J said:
I bought an Audio Authority Component Switcher and have used it with all my consoles on progressive scan (480p) and have not noticed a difference between the switcher and direct input into the TV. Next step is to try 720p and 1080i on my gf's 42" Sony HDTV, I expect similar results. A very high quality (automatic source select!) switcher IMHO, and makes gaming and DVD watching a lot easier.

Well, you get what you pay for. Cheapest I've seen one is around $180. JVC makes a good auto switcher for around $90.

Error Macro said:
Well, you get what you pay for. Cheapest I've seen one is around $180. JVC makes a good auto switcher for around $90.

I definitely didn't pay $180. IIRC it was $98 with shipping.

I've had an Audio Authority switcher for over a year and no complaints. It's great.

Automatically switching audio and video when a new source is turned on is very appealing to the wife. It's all "plug and play" now.

DJ Demon J said:

I use my own method - Component cable plugged into the tv with female RCA plugs on the end. I then just swap cables that way (Don't have to go behind tv or wear out the tv plugs). I know Soul Calibur (720P) worked this way with the Component - (Tried it on my monitor with the component to VGA adaptor that DCB loves. So I know this method goes at least to that bandwith without degradation).

And I've never used a quality component switcher. I was simply referring to the above post (should have quoted) that asked why not just use the audio jacks on a composite switcher... of which I tried 2 and saw significant degradation.

If you're referring to me: I have a 6 foot component cable plugged into the back of my television. At the other end of the cable, I have little RCA male-to-female jacks (So end end of the cable looks like the back of the television). I then plug the DVD/Gamecube/etc end of the the component cable into that. Swapping in and out of that when I wanna change components.

Example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384862324&productCategoryId=cat08054&type=product

The only thing I'd be worried about would be wearing out the jacks and cables with constant switching. I'm always watching a DVD, or playing GC, or Xbox. You'd could say that I'm constantly "jacking off." BWAHAHAHAA. Sorry.

Well the jacks are really cheap (cheaper than that BB link). So I could care less about them. And if I do wear out the cables, those are easily replaced (It's not like you need to replace the entire television). Haven't seen any wear so far, and while I guess it could occur, I'm not losing sleep over the likelyhood of that happening.

maximum360 said:
I've had an Audio Authority switcher for over a year and no complaints. It's great.

Automatically switching audio and video when a new source is turned on is very appealing to the wife. It's all "plug and play" now.

I have the same switcher and love it. Best component switcher money can buy. And it's rated at 100MHz, so there is no chance of dithering.

DCX

DCX
What ever happened to that all in one switcher from Pelican? Optical, Ethernet, Component...8 sources for 100.

DCX

Top Bottom