• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient Rome Didn't Exist

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Her entire rational and reason for voicing this opinion? Take it away, Phil:

cm punk wwe GIF

jufonuk

not tag worthy
That must have been a theme park then, because I visited Rome. Holy hell is it Impressive. Also visited some Roman ruins in Cyprus.
Never mind the “Roman” ruins in London. And all the weird linguistic similarities between so called Romance languages.
Dedication to the bit is unmatched then.

I think this lady from buzz feed is correct
Thierry Henry Football GIF by Beats by Dre

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
What about all of the surviving Cicero texts? Meditations by Marcus Aurelius? Aeneid?
Fan fiction.

Do you imagine any person in power would be that just and self aware. To actually have the mental clarity to want to question themself and hold themselves to a high standard. Imagine trump or Putin writing such a thing. You cannot. Therefore it must be fake.

Of course I’m being sarcastic. Just started reading meditations my question is why the hell isn’t this being taught in schools. Oh wait. Strong stable stoic people cannot be ruled or controlled by base things such as quick fame fortune. Desires etc. I can’t see those types of people being a cash market in todays social media age.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
From the makers of:
"Flat Earth" and "Birds aren't real"
Comes the new blockbuster you've all been waiting for!

But seriously, what are the odds this is just more hidden antisemitism? If Rome didn't exist then large parts of the old Jewish narrative can also be disputed.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Romans did take a lot from the greeks, but they took it to the next level. Id say the greeks were the british empire while the romans are the modern day america (post ww2). no one today gives a shit about england while america is the center of innovation, technology, war (lol) and pretty much the most important country in the world. similar to the roman empire.
Tea Tradition GIF by Apple TV

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
From the makers of:
"Flat Earth" and "Birds aren't real"
Comes the new blockbuster you've all been waiting for!

But seriously, what are the odds this is just more hidden antisemitism? If Rome didn't exist then large parts of the old Jewish narrative can also be disputed.
You picked up on that? She’s a big time antisemite on her current TikTok channel. While also claiming to be Jewish herself, of course, probably just to give herself a free pass. But that’s another story.
Of course I’m being sarcastic. Just started reading meditations my question is why the hell isn’t this being taught in schools. Oh wait. Strong stable stoic people cannot be ruled or controlled by base things such as quick fame fortune. Desires etc. I can’t see those types of people being a cash market in todays social media age.
Everyone should study the classics, if equipped to. One of the greatest gifts to humanity.

Check out Seneca - Letters from a Stoic, next, if you haven’t.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You picked up on that? She’s a big time antisemite on her current TikTok channel. While also claiming to be Jewish herself, of course, probably just to give herself a free pass. But that’s another story.
Was just a wild guess, I haven't seen any of her other work, but I'm in full alert mode these days so that's where my mind went.

Facism

Mad dumb. Probably thinks Mehmed II was making a sick meme when he assumed the title emperor of Rome after the fall of Constantinople, too.

That's if she actually studied anything relating to Rome.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Everyone should study the classics, if equipped to. One of the greatest gifts to humanity.

Check out Seneca - Letters from a Stoic, next, if you haven’t.
I have been listening to a few summaries of his works via audible and i think after meditations I am going to check out Seneca's letters from a stoic in due course
thank you for the recommendation, I just find Stoicism really applicable in today's world, I would argue that the Greeks in some aspects outrank the Romans for lasting contributions to the world, of the top off my head being Science, Philosophy, Calisthenics and Pankration. just look how they are still in use today.
the Romans have done amazing things, then of course the trilogy was completed by England... you are welcome :p

Last edited:
Looking at the modern social studies, I would not be surprised if a lot of people will believe that.

Still it is always fascinating to see how easy it is to make people believe in some nonsense. But it is a fascinating example how the dark ages in history happened in the past, for example post the Bronze Age collapse.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Then why we have roman style architecture all around the world? From the Americas to the Netherlands and Argentina

@Evilor how do you come across this madness brrrrr

Embearded

We live in the age of mass produced "scientists".
Universities output diplomas constantly to anyone who is able to pay and / or pass exams and then by default we consider these people scientists and experts when in fact only a handful of them are worth it.

I remember the case of a few biologists or something related, that wrote a paper about genders/sex and non binary stuff. They were fully supportive of the trans movement and were suggesting changes to biology.
Then i looked up their names and none of them were related to any kind of research or "useful" contribution to their field, yet people who support the same ideas accept their suggestions and "data" just because they agree.

Laptop1991

Strange how Time Team have been digging up Roman ruins all over England for the last 30 years, and where did that Colosseum in Rome come from then lol

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah I'm not saying shit because I'm not educated enough. And we all know REAL researchers on YT are by default speaking non sense.

I didn't even watch the OP video because I felt it was full of shit.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I guess latin doesn't exist either, even though I had it in school....so maybe the school wasn't real either, wait, am I real?
Oh My God Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dumb ass people.

With that said it's quite interesting how languag across our continents the world is interconnected. That's a deep dive on it's own

Last edited:

Mistake

Further proof each side has their own flavor of idiots. Conspiracy theorist seems overused at this point, so I lump people like this into what I call "deniers." People who deny some of the most prolific things in history, such as the holocaust, Japan bombings, moon landing, etc. Not to be confused with a skeptic. A healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, I guess.

In a very "I have dreadlocks and don't wash them," spiritualist way. Like the Universe exists solely in the space between my left and right ears because consciousness is everything and without it, there is nothing and i ain't never seen gladiators irl no cap so it ain't there type way.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You spend a lot of time thinking about the Roman empire trying to prove it didn't exist.

What's so strange about that? Doesn't everybody think about the Roman Empire at least three times a week?

Top Bottom