• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Compulsion Games talks about their origin, We Happy Few Development and aquisition by Microsoft

Bernkastel

Mar 8, 2018

At 34:41, they start talking about the Microsoft Aquisition
They basically came to us and said we want you to keep doing what you do really well, but now you have a budget. So, we were like - 'Oh Yeah, thats great. Lets do that'.
We are spending a lot time figuring out to raise the standards of the quality of the game we are building so we can become a real first party studio.
For the first time, in a very long time in my career to be able to create without this cloud of impending doom of financing or studio politics, not having to carry those twin albatrosses around I think are extremely liberating.
If everyone else is just like me, I think they are preparing to do the best work of their careers
Do you feel like it made you a better studio ? Well I guess we will know whether we will be a better studio, once we get out our next game. People would tell us, if we are better or not.

Last edited:

bumleforce

Formerly 'bumbleforce'
Aug 21, 2016
It sucks when you work and you always have that fear of losing your job in there case because of funding. The talent was there obviously and microsoft saw that. I think the next game is gonna be really good but its gonna be a while and i am looking forward to it. They know how to tell a story and they were going in so many directions gameplay wise. it will be nice to see them focused.

Kagey K

Dec 18, 2013
I didn’t like We Happy Few personally, but I bought it for my g/f last Christmas, and so far she has spent 14 days and 55 mins in game according to the stats on Xbox.

So while it may not be for me, I appreciate that it’s a game some people love. Her 14 days in that game is almost double the time I spent in one game this gen.

Mattyp

Gold Member
May 29, 2017
I didn’t like We Happy Few personally, but I bought it for my g/f last Christmas, and so far she has spent 14 days and 55 mins in game according to the stats on Xbox.

So while it may not be for me, I appreciate that it’s a game some people love. Her 14 days in that game is almost double the time I spent in one game this gen.

This is the same for me, I don’t have the time to enjoy the game with the hours required but a few friends do and love it. More than glad Microsoft picked them up with the security they have now and more diversity for those who do love it.

Will no doubt will give some time to whatever they do next with MS funding and the hiring spree all these studios have been on.

Reactions: CatLady and Kagey K
Jan 14, 2018
Contrast is a beautiful game and I love the presentation and the game, so artistic. I wish it was launch it physical versión. In the other hand we Happy few is overrated game for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: cormack12

CatLady

Jun 12, 2018

So glad to hear your gf liked it, I thought I was the only person on the planet that liked it. In fact I loved it, even as unpolished and janky as it was. It was unique & fresh, with a weird cool story & interesting quirky characters. I liked the game play and I thought overall it was really a fun game.

I'd been excited about this game since the 1st time MS showed at E3 and intended to buy it day 1 but then I was scared off by the horrible reviews it received and lost all interest. Once I joined Game Pass, I decided to give it a try even though my expectations were low and just like what happened with Hellblade another game I thought I wouldn't like, it turned out to be a game I really loved.

I hope their next game is as unusual and fun as this one was for me, minus the jank.

Reactions: Kagey K

Gargus

Banned
Oct 1, 2018

Yeah. I got it off Ebay and I played it about 5 hours and quit. I just didn't like anything about it. It felt like someone came up with a really brief idea and sketched out some interesting mask concepts and that was really all they had, and just sort of threw the game up around those 2 things.

Reactions: Kagey K

Hendrick's

Jan 7, 2014
I think they will emerge as a top tier studio. I loved Contrast, and thought WHF had great potential, but lacked a budget.

Bernkastel

Mar 8, 2018
Qualifications

● 5+ years experience creating and designing narrative for AAA games and/or narrative indie games
They have 12 open postions
Principal systems programmer
Lead level artist
UI programmer
3D Artist
Level designer
Producer
Senior level designer- 8+ years experience in video game level design, with experience in 3rd person action and adventure games
Gameplay programmer
Writer
Senior Writer
Systems programmer
Senior UX designer

CeeJay

Mar 9, 2014
I think they will emerge as a top tier studio. I loved Contrast, and thought WHF had great potential, but lacked a budget.
I think you can say that for a lot of the studios that MS acquired. I think their output next gen is going to surprise a lot of people. I am looking forward to seeing what Undead Labs can do with access to the wealth of knowledge and technical expertise within Xbox Studios along with the shackles of extremely limited budgets removed.

Reactions: KyoShiRo330

Bernkastel

Mar 8, 2018

FF:Enhanced_Reality

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
It sucks when you work and you always have that fear of losing your job in there case because of funding. The talent was there obviously and microsoft saw that. I think the next game is gonna be really good but its gonna be a while and i am looking forward to it. They know how to tell a story and they were going in so many directions gameplay wise. it will be nice to see them focused.

I wouldn't think being first party will make you safer tbh.

Alan Wake

Aug 28, 2020
We Happy Few was a bit rough, but I saw the potential. Really curious to see what Compulsion can do with more people and better funding. Guess we'll have to wait a while to find out.

Reactions: KyoShiRo330

FF:Enhanced_Reality

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
Well depends if its under EA or not. Having living on a previous financial crisis, I can tell you that it really can kill any sort of creativity.

Actually I was thinking Microsoft have shut down studios before today. Sony too. A budget is great but there's still expectation with that. The console manufacturers aren't charities so they have to make money from that budget. If not well... Ask Lionhead.