• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan the Barbarian (2011) |OT| The days of high adventure return to the big screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, as much as people love the Arnie version of Conan, we can pretty much guarantee that this will be better than Conan: The Destroyer.

I'm in.

Nice OP!

At the very least there will be a lot of action, blood, violence and nudity thanks to it being Rated R. So even if the plot sucks, who cares as long as you're not one of those elitists. Should be a good time!

Mr. Sam

Heavy said:
Nice OP!

At the very least there will be a lot of action, blood, violence and nudity thanks to it being Rated R. So even if the plot sucks, who cares as long as you're not one of those elitists. Should be a good time!
I expect more out of a movie than a blood-swathed pair of tits, but I'm just picky like that.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Branduil said:
That was the second one.
A film elevated above mediocrity by a grandiose score, that's all the first film has going for it really. The most important and fundamental aspect of the film; the depiction of Conan was carried out very poorly.

Branduil

Edmond Dantès said:
A film elevated above mediocrity by a grandiose score, that's all the first film has going for it really. The most important and fundamental aspect of the film; the depiction of Conan was carried out very poorly.
It's certainly not a great film, but there was not really anything wrong with Conan as a character. Of course if you're talking about how faithful he is to the original that's a different thing I don't care about at all.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I've liked the Red Band trailers, so I'll probably see it anyways since it starts right when I'm back at school.

I don't hold the nostalgic love others have for Arnold's Conan either. While it had some great parts, most of it was just mediocrity to bad including Arnold as Conan.

Decado

Nice OT!

I hope this is awesome (director doesn't give me a lot of faith...stupid of Lionsgate to give such an important property to a director that hasn't done anything better than "kinda bad").

That being said, it looks like there are several R-rated movies coming out this weekend. WTF is up with that timing?

Morn

Banned
Branduil said:
It's certainly not a great film, but there was not really anything wrong with Conan as a character. Of course if you're talking about how faithful he is to the original that's a different thing I don't care about at all.

Shame, because the real Conan is an awesome character.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
When I first saw the commercials, it felt like Momoa wrote the movie for himself just to give himself a bigger showcase than he got on GoT. Then I heard he already wrote the sequel and I really lol'd.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
When I first saw the commercials, it felt like Momoa wrote the movie for himself just to give himself a bigger showcase than he got on GoT. Then I heard he already wrote the sequel and I really lol'd.
IMDB tells me he wrote neither of them.

bangai-o

Banned
Edmond Dantès said:
we all loved Conan. That is obviously the sign of poor movie character.

harSon

Banned
I hope Mike Wallace practiced catching balls over his head, he missed a few crucial ones in the Super Bowl.

Sappy113

Heavy said:
Nice OP!

My feeling exactly. I don't care how bad this is reviewed. I know what I'm walking into and it's going to be glorious!

Amir0x

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Is that nudity worth 10-14 bucks or only the 6 buck 9:30 AM screening?

lol @ 10-14 bucks. I work at the Tobyhanna Army Depot and get any time Cinemark movie tickets for 5 bucks <:)

Branduil

DXB-KNIGHT said:
Is it normal that the music is the most thing I'm worried about :/ because I really loved the original.
Well there's no way it can possibly be as good as the original's so that's already a big mark against it.

spiderman123 said:
I am going to call it and say it's going to suck. The only reason Conan was ever good was b/c of Arnold.

It was good despite Arnold's presence, not because of. Dude couldn't even pretend to be an actor when they made that movie.

Edmond Dantès said:
You can have a good film that is not a good adaptaion, like Starship Troopers.

Salazar

Amir0x said:
lol @ 10-14 bucks. I work at the Tobyhanna Army Depot and get any time Cinemark movie tickets for 5 bucks <:)

YNZeL.jpg

Optimistic about the film.

hate to say I called it:

Empire Big Screen ‘11 Review: By Crom, ‘Conan The Barbarian’ Is Unbelievably Awful

There are been plenty of bad movies this year, but at least you feel that people were trying for, say, “Battle: Los Angeles” or “Sucker Punch,” they didn’t actually set out to make a bad movie. “Conan The Barbarian” just comes across as half-assed; a quick, cheap, cash-grab with nothing but contempt for its audience, something that would look shoddy even if it were the direct-to-DVD movie it so often resembles. And you should stay away from it like it was horde of bandits coming to burn down your village.

F

Big One

Banned
Bleh, sucks. Everything about it looked good, it looked like it stayed true to the source material in aesthetic and yet...ugh.

Four early reviews are up on RT this afternoon, 3 fresh and 1 rotten... here's a snippet from one:

Quickflix said:
You won’t find the geopolitical quandaries or the ever-shifting power relationships of Game of Thrones here, but you will be treated to a non-stop barrage of brutal, ferocious battle scenes... Conan the Barbarian is just a nicely realized, well paced, very fun action movie. The cast is game, the special effects are solid, and the decapitations are plentiful. And even if no camels get punched in the face, a variety of horses meet untimely ends. I’m not saying that’s necessarily a good thing, but it’s good to see a remake respecting its roots. I am content.

3.5/5

The original Conan was actually damn good (the 2nd one was shit). This one may as well have given Grace Jones a contract and a hot meal and dug up Wilt. Pass.

Hari Seldon

As much as I love the Conan universe and the original Conan, I think I will pass and wait for DVD. Movie seems like a cash crab with that cast. Spend some god damn money if you intend to "reboot" a classic.

KingGondo

Banned
Hari Seldon said:
As much as I love the Conan universe and the original Conan, I think I will pass and wait for DVD. Movie seems like a cash crab with that cast. Spend some god damn money if you intend to "reboot" a classic.
Uh... Jason Momoa is perfect.

If anything, I'd give them credit for casting someone who's a relative unknown in the title role.

Hari Seldon said:
It's not like the original was packed with stars or anything; the biggest names attached to the film were probably director John Milius, James Earl Jones, and Max Sydow. Arnold's biggest film credits were "Hercules in New York" and "Pumping Iron," and he was still known more for bodybuilding than acting; the other lead actors apart from maybe JEJ weren't exactly big draws. Even Oliver Stone was still early in his film-making career for his screenplay credits to amount to much.

Snaku

Banned
My local 16 screen theater is only screening this three times a day in 3D, and only twice in 2D this weekend. Doesn't that seem kinda...low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom