• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concave PS3 triggers are coming stateside

Aske

Ranger X said:
So much for the triggers. Does player adaption exists anymore?

The thing is, no amount of adaptation will make L2 and R2 on my DS3 feel as good as the triggers on my 360 controller.

I want to buy multiplatform games for my PS3 because I like using the machine and benefit from free online; but shooters feel gimped by the secondary shoulder buttons. The 360 triggers are a joy to shoot with; the PS3 triggers actively reduce the quality of the experience for me. So since the 360's hardware won't become less clunky or it's online more free, and since the PS3's triggers remind me of the 'play' button on an 80s cassette deck, a simple workaround beats suffering through an endless adaptation period that becomes nullified every time I use the other console.

If these trigger covers mean I no longer have to choose between satisfying single player control and free multiplayer when I pick up a copy of Dark Sector I will feel great joy.

I am definitely interested in these. I'm personally not a big fan of the PS3 L2/R2 buttons as is.

BTW, where are the people who scream "But they're not triggers!" in threads like these?

Evander

"industry expert"
sprocket said:
I still say if you have ANY problems keeping you fingers on the triggers than you need to call a doctor. The part of your brain that holds your motor skills is damaged.

Yup, I've known that I had shit for fine motor skills since I was, I dunno, five or so. Probably younger, even.

Did OT for a few years in my youth, and it definitely helped, but I'm still lacking. The fact that I have GIGANTIC hands doesn't help much either (eight inch length, ten inch breadth, proportional palms and fingers,) since controllers and other devices simply weren't designed for me in mind.

So, this doctor I'm supposed to call; what exactly will he do for me? Does HE have replacement triggers? If so, what is his phone number?

YYZ

Are the triggers the same material as the stock L and R buttons or are they more rubbery/textured?

Also the armour may not be a bad thing though it looks bad. It may actually be good once you get your hands on it. The site says the back is not metal.

sprocket

Banned
Evander said:
Yup, I've known that I had shit for fine motor skills since I was, I dunno, five or so. Probably younger, even.

Did OT for a few years in my youth, and it definitely helped, but I'm still lacking. The fact that I have GIGANTIC hands doesn't help much either (eight inch length, ten inch breadth, proportional palms and fingers,) since controllers and other devices simply weren't designed for me in mind.

So, this doctor I'm supposed to call; what exactly will he do for me? Does HE have replacement triggers? If so, what is his phone number?

Do not worry I will get you one of these for christmas.

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CHP00322lg.jpg

DeadGzuz

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I am definitely interested in these. I'm personally not a big fan of the PS3 L2/R2 buttons as is.

BTW, where are the people who scream "But they're not triggers!" in threads like these?

For FPS the R1/L1 are the best fire buttons and work well. For racing games the R2/L2 button have the fine control to mimic the gas petal.

Controllers are like languages, if you use both regularly they are almost equal in performance. If you use far more than the other you get used to it and bitch and moan about the one that feels "off".

I can play Resistance and UT3 with the R1 fire button as well or better than any FPS on the 360 with a "real" trigger.

Now I can see how these triggers can help with ergonomics during long sessions of driving games. I've never had my finger slip, you don't use your finger tip, you use the section between the two last knuckles.

People are exagerating here, PS3 triggers are not that bad. I must admit it's boring at first but after few hours you can play easily most of games with them.

Plus this metal thing is so ugly that it will burn your eyes and you won't be able to play well neither. :lol

sprocket

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Now I can see how these triggers can help with ergonomics during long sessions of driving games. I've never had my finger slip, you don't use your finger tip, you use the section between the two last knuckles.

exactly .. and you would think all the guys with their so called freakishly mutatedly huge hands would automatically conform to such a position when pressing them. Mine does.

sprocket said:
exactly .. and you would think all the guys with their so called freakishly mutatedly huge hands would automatically conform to such a position when pressing them. Mine does.

my fingers still slip off when I play in that arrangement .....seriously...I've tried

Woo-Fu

Banned
Aske said:
The thing is, no amount of adaptation will make L2 and R2 on my DS3 feel as good as the triggers on my 360 controller.

Sure it will, but we'd be talking adaptation of your mindset, not of your controllers.

painey

wierd.. i just got mine today;
2300327006_d51da1aacf.jpg

Available in the UK free with this months PSM3 magazine (£4.99) which is a bargain imo.

DeadGzuz

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
my fingers still slip off when I play in that arrangement .....seriously...I've tried

Sure they do. Yet I've played 30+ hours of Burnout and never slipped. The surface area is large and the texture makes friction. Maybe clean the K-Y off before the gaming session. :D

Snah

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
For FPS the R1/L1 are the best fire buttons and work well. For racing games the R2/L2 button have the fine control to mimic the gas petal.

Controllers are like languages, if you use both regularly they are almost equal in performance. If you use far more than the other you get used to it and bitch and moan about the one that feels "off".

I can play Resistance and UT3 with the R1 fire button as well or better than any FPS on the 360 with a "real" trigger.

Agreed. A lot of people have questioned the decision for the Ps3's R2/L2 buttons, but it really works out well. When I'm shooting, I don't want much resistance preventing me from doing that, hence why I'm not a fan of "triggers".

Generally L2/R2 on the DS3 are used for situations where you have to hold down a button for extended periods of time. This can become cumbersome with the traditional trigger approach, but works beautifully on the DS3 since it's much easier to hold down.

sprocket

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Sure they do. Yet I've played 30+ hours of Burnout and never slipped. The surface area is large and the texture makes friction. Maybe clean the K-Y off before the gaming session. :D

Cheeto build up is a great lubricant. :lol

I'm glad the R2/L2 triggers work well for some of you but I don't think there is anything physically or mentally wrong with people that don't appreciate their design. If that were the case there wouldn't be a big enough market for these types of devices.

Crayon

Use R1 to shoot.

So lets straighten something out real quick.

Altho the trigger on an xbox controller is shaped like a gun, the action is no more like pulling the trigger on an actual gun than a button press.

I've heard alot of people state a a preferance for using the "triggers" to fire their "gun".

If you have the indignant misfortune of using a Sixaxis, just map fire to R1. It's more ergonomic, it's more accurate, and your gun fantasies will still be around for you to indulge well into your adult life when you develop some self esteem.

painey said:

Available in the UK free with this months PSM3 magazine (£4.99) which is a bargain imo.

I was thinking of getting the magazine purely for this, but would love to know if it works on Dual Shock 2 controllers as well.

Felix Lighter said:
I'm glad the R2/L2 triggers work well for some of you but I don't think there is anything physically or mentally wrong with people that don't appreciate their design. If that were the case there wouldn't be a big enough market for these types of devices.

Bingo. The whole reason the product exists is that the controllers simply aren't ergonomic to many people.

I eagerly await controlling my Wipeout HD airbrakes with concave triggers.

trigger5.jpg

That looks so badass! Why didn't Sony just make the triggers like that?

I remember when the console came out, I lost count how many times my trigger finger slipped playing Resistance.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Felix Lighter said:

I agree their is a market because of ergonomics. But the R2/L2 buttons are not gun triggers and devs should not use them as such. Just like the 360 D-pad is not really a D-pad, it's more of a menu selection randomizer.

Typical GAF thread, as usual there is a small group of haters that feel compelled to try to convince other people that their opinion is wrong and that there is one correct answer for all gamers. We can all have different preferences, go find something else to do with your time instead of trolling.

Other thing that is typical of GAF thread, make sure and throw in some unrelated criticism of a competing console.

f@luS

More than a member.
painey said:

would u mind sending me one to france? !!! :D my paypal's ready !

Scotch

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Typical GAF thread, as usual there is a small group of haters that feel compelled to try to convince other people that their opinion is wrong and that there is one correct answer for all gamers. We can all have different preferences, go find something else to do with your time instead of trolling.

Other thing that is typical of GAF thread, make sure and throw in some unrelated criticism of a competing console.
Hear hear. It amazes me how defensive some people get about anything Sony related. And it makes reading GAF really tiring lately.

painey

monkeylite said:
I was thinking of getting the magazine purely for this, but would love to know if it works on Dual Shock 2 controllers as well.

They do not work on Dual Shock 2 controllers

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Scotch said:
Hear hear. It amazes me how defensive some people get about anything Sony related. And it makes reading GAF really tiring lately.

"To be fair," there are equal amounts of absolutism on both sides in this thread.

It's not that I can't use the R2/L2. I can use them just fine and it doesn't ruin my game.

But I PERSONALLY feel that concave triggers are FAR MORE COMFORTABLE for ME. I am glad if you like the R2/L2 the way they are. Congratulations. But there are obviously a lot of people who don't. I don't understand the reason to defend and argue for the current design. Nobody is saying that the PS3 sucks because of the triggers. We're just saying we think the triggers themselves suck for us. Sony will survive a little criticism to their controllers. There's no need to rush to the defense.

sca2511

are the ps3 "triggers" really that bad? i find it comfortable and it works the way it should work. I believe it works for a variety of games.

Snah

Banned
sca2511 said:
are the ps3 "triggers" really that bad? i find it comfortable and it works the way it should work. I believe it works for a variety of games.

I think they're bad when people try and use them incorrectly and think that they are triggers that are supposed to be analogous to the ones on the 360 pad.

Snah said:
I think they're bad when people try and use them incorrectly and think that they are triggers that are supposed to be analogous to the ones on the 360 pad.

Or the Saturn analog pad, or the Dreamcast pad, or the Gamecube controller, or the Xbox 1 controller.

Of course, the thing is, in many PS3 games they are used for many of the same functions that games for these other systems used them for.

So we really aren't using them incorrectly!

dalin80

Banned
Bad? No, its just irritating after a while when things get a bit sweaty and your finger starts sliding down the button when your trying to crouch.

on that note-

Toggle crouch this time please insomniac.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

Here I am.

They're not triggers.

They're buttons. :D

If you want a trigger, go buy a gun. Then eat it. :D

Snah

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Or the Saturn analog pad, or the Dreamcast pad, or the Gamecube controller, or the Xbox 1 controller.

Of course, the thing is, in many PS3 games they are used for many of the same functions that games for these other systems used them for.

So we really aren't using them incorrectly!

I agree, devs are partially to blame.

But a lot of devs allow for users to customize the controls.

Call them triggers. Call them buttons. For me personally, I can't think of any situation where I would prefer the current R2/L2 over a concave version. My finger wants to slide off of them no matter if I'm shooting a gun or pressing the accelerator in a car. How should a developer use an analog button that your finger wants to slide off of? Thats the problem I personally have with them. How am I using them wrong?

Linkzg said:
yeah, but what can I do if im in the US? gotta get this armor shit.[/QUOTE

You could go find a store that has the import magazine. ps it will cost at least 10 bucks. In US dollars, 4.99 UKP is already 10 bucks, so basically there isn't a way to get this for less than 10 bucks anywhere.

Alphahawk

Those things look ugly. Also as someone said earlier why would someones PS3 controller need "real metal armor" it's utterly ridiculous.

Top Bottom