• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept Artwork For "Epic Mickey"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chao

Darkpen said:

Oh my, it all makes sense now:

runBrain_big_013.jpg

user_2_werehog.jpg

gerg said:
I think it's quite clear that this project is so unashamedly epic that to put it on any of our filthy current-gen consoles would be a waste. In fact, the game's design is so gloriously mind-blowing that to even consider putting it on a PC would be a sin against the game's true worth. In fact, these designs are far too epic to be a game at all! Rather, they shall be screened onto sky scrapers from the sky in the highest of high-definitions! This will be no game nor movie, but an event. It shall last forty days and forty nights. People shall die! Angels will weep! It will be epic.
On the Wii.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
HUELEN10 said:
Epic Mickey isn't overly dark, or at least I don't see it as dark, it is awesome, with a dash of grim on the side!

Whether or not this project is dark is up to you. Regardless, Disney has done dark in the past, and they can do it again. If this is dark, then I want this kind of dark!

Perhaps "dark" isn't quite the right term... but, well, that's only one concern... the other one is the weird mishmash of "styles" present. The game appears to be showing the aftermath in the real world, with remnants of
smelly swapwater
Disney theme parks.

All I'm saying is that I doubt the artwork, as we see it now, will directly reflect the game. I find it hard to believe we'll see a mixture of "broken down real world" mixed with animation.

If anything, this art seems to point more towards a "feeling" for the game than for any guaranteed game concepts.

We'll see, though... I suppose.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
I don't know, man. Give this project time. We've only seen a bit of concept art.

Do you realize how risky Fantasia was? Howe out there it is? Certain parts are probably more abstract than anything Spector will come up with.

And I dont think it will have naked female spirits dancing in fires of hell around a massive satanic god figure.

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:
Do you realize how risky Fantasia was? Howe out there it is? Certain parts are probably more abstract than anything Spector will come up with.

I get that, but it never felt as dark as this does. Perhaps my perspective on Fantasia is different from yours, but it never felt grim to me.

HUELEN10

DavidDayton said:
Perhaps "dark" isn't quite the right term... but, well, that's only one concern... the other one is the weird mishmash of "styles" present. The game appears to be showing the aftermath in the real world, with remnants of
smelly swapwater
Disney theme parks.

All I'm saying is that I doubt the artwork, as we see it now, will directly reflect the game. I find it hard to believe we'll see a mixture of "broken down real world" mixed with animation.

If anything, this art seems to point more towards a "feeling" for the game than for any guaranteed game concepts.

We'll see, though... I suppose.
You bring up a good point, art does not always reflect a finished product.
There was a time where this was Rosie
29pcfn8.png

& that was Werehog.
987m1f.jpg
2ptngqw.jpg

We will just have to wait and see. Personally though, I am rooting for the final product to look at least mostly like what we have seen so far.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
I get that, but it never felt as dark as this does. Perhaps my perspective on Fantasia is different from yours, but it never felt grim to me.

Night on Bald Mountain? The T-Rex/Stegosaurus fight? The bubbling magma?

Wizpig

HUELEN10 said:
Regardless, Disney has done dark in the past, and they can do it again. If this is dark, then I want this kind of dark!
Not with Mickey and Goofy like... those artworks.
I mean... damn.

"Darkest" [which obviously WASN'T "dark"] Mickey we had was this

and it's not as creepy as some of those artworks.

Sorry, it's just that i still don't know if i like what i've seen.
Artworks are awesome, but why Mickey and Goofy? it seems they are trying too hard to please people that want a mature version of everything.

This looks really freaking awesome. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about it. But wow, those concept pictures, man they really are something. Hopefully more info about this game gets revealed soon.

wsippel

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Wait, so this is really happening? :eek:
Looks like it:

Graham Hopper [General Manager, Disney Interactve]: Warren's hard at work. He has a team working on a great project. We're going to show it when it's right and ready. We're very encouraged by what we're seeing. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. [...]

The project that Warren's working on is something that we've had creative ideas about for a long time before we found the right guy to make it -- which was Warren.

Warren has taken that and changed it a lot along the way and made it better, and we've given him the time to do that. We're into a very, very extensive prototyping and technology phase on the game. Right now he's building levels. To get to that point took a long time. That's why we've been quiet. But that's what the game needs to be successful.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23916

That was not even two months ago.

Is there any truth to that rumor someone (Shiggy?) posted that this was almost unveiled at Nintendo's E3 conference? I just hope a magazine gets an exclusive on this soon.

Gomu Gomu said:
Wait, so this is really happening? :eek:

Disney owns the studio that is making the game, and Spector has been hyping this game up for a while now, so it seems so.

Father_Brain said:
Is there any truth to that rumor someone (Shiggy?) posted that this was almost unveiled at Nintendo's E3 conference? I just hope a magazine gets an exclusive on this soon.

Would have been awesome, but also, kind of out of place.
I think at their own event would be better. Use it to get huge media coverage from just the real gaming press.

wsippel

Banned
Father_Brain said:
That's a weird one. Several people posted that rumor (not Shiggy, though, if I remember correctly), but it was never clear if the rumor was about this title or the next Kingdom Hearts.

Shiggy

Father_Brain said:

I didn't post it, but I heard of it. Though I have some severe doubts as JPS was still staffing up earlier this year. I don't think it's fleshed out yet.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Father_Brain said:
Can someone please repost the rest of the art from Post #109? Hosting it on Photobucket wasn't the best idea, apparently.
I took those down pre-emptive out of fear overreaching Disney legal might shut down my whole Photobucket account, but their back up at Tinypic. Enjoy.

FoneBone

Shiggy said:
I didn't post it, but I heard of it. Though I have some severe doubts as JPS was still staffing up earlier this year. I don't think it's fleshed out yet.
Yeah, that interview makes me think that we won't be seeing anything official until 2010. Too bad -- I really want to know more.

HUELEN10 said:
YAY ANOTHER OSWLAD FAN! Yes, that is Oswald, and yes they can!
o0v15d.jpg
Wow, never heard of Oswalt the Rabbit before.

And this Epic Mickey, Walt is probably spinning like a top right now. Actually he probably has been since they announced Tiana in The Princess and the Frog.

tenritsu

Banned
Alright guys, I've been scouring Glover's page (he's a great artist, but man his site could use some work :lol ) and I'll be posting every image I think is related to Epic Mickey. Keep an eye out for this post if you wish.

WARNING, MASSIVE IMAGES ALERT. Tell me if you want me to just link them and I'll do so.

Alright guys, here I go:

http://web.mac.com/askbotboy/Site/New_Work_04_files/beach_attack.jpg
The image filename is called beach_attack.jpg,

Now look towards the right side of the picture... notice a castle like thing? Well...

http://web.mac.com/askbotboy/Site/Vis_Dev_2_files/dark-castle-base-filtered.jpg

http://web.mac.com/askbotboy/Site/Environ_concept_3_files/concept_castles.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Dark Octave said:
Wow, never heard of Oswalt the Rabbit before.

If you haven't looked a more accurate version of the story up on Wikipedia already... Basically he preceeded Mickey Mouse, and when Walt Disney had to give the rights to Oswald up he made a duplicate character with rounded ears instead of the long ones Oswald had. That character became Mickey.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anyone read the Walt Disney bio that came out a few years ago? Pretty fascinating.

IT'S WII ONLY. STOP ASKING
Can we not have this "It's a shame it's coming to the Wii" crap in every thread where there's a cool/promising/interesting looking game/concept for the system?!

I'm going need the game, an art book, a strategy guide, a behind the scenes dvd, tin case...

I NEED the super duper deluxe enhanced limited special collectors edition of this game

... and a wii

hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

SovanJedi said:
If you haven't looked a more accurate version of the story up on Wikipedia already... Basically he preceeded Mickey Mouse, and when Walt Disney had to give the rights to Oswald up he made a duplicate character with rounded ears instead of the long ones Oswald had. That character became Mickey.
That's awesome. I love hearing about behind the scenes and historic things like this. Kind of makes you think "what if". I'm going to go check out the Wiki on Oswalt now, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom