• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concerns for Age of Empires 4

the game design is probably going to be a mess, but a lot of people would be content without many gameplay changes and just upgrading aoe to a real engine

whatever engine they're using for the "remasters" of older games is just awful, at least for online play. multi-second command latency in a RTS is just unacceptable

i kind of hope they just modernize the existing designs for aoe4, and then maybe can figure out how to innovate with aoe5

grumpyGamer

They want AoE4 to make money, it is a known Franchise, so now we need to see if they want to invest in the game engine and world or just try a quick cash grab, either way i am hopping for a lot, huge fan of the series, and i will for sure criticize the game to hell if they fuck it up
I really hope they are not rushing it.

WaterAstro

Hmmm Glassdoor can just have a disgruntled employee, but Relic's situation isn't that great from my own local knowledge. I've heard the same with Capcom Vancouver. They're one bad game away from just being shut down, but who knows what Japanese thinks.

As for an RTS studio, Blackbird Interactive, who made Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, is getting bigger.

Since Microsoft is planning to keep AoE4 as a Windows Store exclusive, I'm afraid the game is DOA anyway.

Agreed. I'm not touching Windows Store.

RTS are not dead. They are evolving. Since December, I have written previews on Empires of the Undergrowth, They Are Billions, and am currently working on Forged Battalion. If you say that the genre is dead, you simply lack vision. Perhaps they are voicing their frustration with their leadership.

Blackbird Interactive

I am SO GLAD that the Homeworld IP is no longer dead under Relic, and is now owned by Gearbox. THANK GOD!!!

As for an RTS studio, Blackbird Interactive, who made Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, is getting bigger.
Kinda OT but I just saw in local real estate news they're gonna be a tenant in a swank new office building at False Creek Flats... By the new Emily Carr.

I saw it because I saw Finning International was gonna be an anchor tenant but then they said a few others like Samsung would be in there, too, and one of them was Blackbird. Kinda forgot who they were but remember when I googled and saw Deserts of Kharak. So, that's cool news if they're moving office spaces.

Anyhow, hope everything is good for Relic (and AOE4, since I grew up on AOE2). Glassdoor stuff can sometimes be misleading, a la CDPR and Cyberpunk... Sounds like a lack of consensus but also disagreement over the vision of the game, but especially around not adapting Relic games to what current gamers want. I don't think that's automatically good or bad for AOE -- could just as easily mean the directors are stubbornly making a classic AOE, as it could mean their chasing mobas. Either way, not really fair to the rest of the team to try conclude anything from so little. May sound a bit bad for moral but who knows what it means for the progress of the game, let alone the direction of the game.

Corrik

I much prefer my rts's in the medieval ages.

I like StarCraft and rise of Nations and all, but I really am fond of aoe2.

Top Bottom